Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 23, 2017 18:49

Cristiano Radtke
Great article about one of my favorite records ever released by His Bobness:

Inside Bob Dylan's 'Time Out of Mind' Sessions

Daniel Lanois and other collaborators look back at the rocky genesis of Dylan's 1997 masterpiece

[www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks, great read!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 25, 2017 03:01

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 23:42

Wow! Very cool thanks for posting! Everything from this collection so far is sounding incredible! Dylan’s voice is sublime.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 29, 2017 14:15

Maybe posted last year, but new to me. From the WaPo:

Teaching Dylan: ‘His work as a whole is as staggering as that of Homer or Shakespeare’

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 1, 2017 10:07

DYLAN'S NOBEL PRIZE SPEECH NOW A LIMITED EDITION COLLECTOR'S ITEM

Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize acceptance speech has been turned into a book. The musician was named as the recipient of the award for literature last year, but missed the official prize-giving ceremony in December due to "previous commitments". He eventually accepted the award in person at a private event in Stockholm in April. Now, publishers Simon & Schuster have announced the publication of his acceptance speech as a 32-page book. The work will be available as a standard hardcover volume, and as a special signed and numbered tome, as Pitchfork reports. Limited to only 100 copies, the special edition will be priced at US$2,500 (£1,882).

ROCKMAN

Date: November 1, 2017 13:13

Here's a link to my Gospel Bob review feature, with guitarist Fred Tackett talking about those 1979-1981 tours - it's up on The Arts Desk, and a full Q&A is on my Art Poetry Music wordpress blog --- links below. It is a fantastic set, at his peak as a stage performer

[www.theartsdesk.com]

Fred Tackett Q&A
[timcumming.wordpress.com]

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: November 1, 2017 14:06

Great Review, thanks! Really looking forward to hear it on fridaysmileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 1, 2017 14:40

[timcumming.wordpress.com]
"He never said anything about it, but I always thought he didn’t want us to have these set-in-stone arrangements down. He wanted us to rehearse as a band but without us butchering his tunes over and over again, banging them into the ground. So he gave us these other songs to play. Then we’d go out on stage and play his songs. We’d rehearse them a bit, but not enough to be set in stone or to get our parts down. And I thought that it worked great. It was a great tactic, and I’ve never run across anyone else doing that"

Bob still does that. Dave Kemper who worked for him in the early 00's said they'd rehearse tons of cover songs they'd never do live. Tackett understood the purpose of it all, Kemper probably not...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-02 17:17 by dcba.

Date: November 2, 2017 15:01

Bob Dylan’s Songs for the Soul, Revisited and Redeemed

In this exclusive clip from 1980 that appears on the "Trouble No More" "Bootleg Series" release, Bob Dylan performs "What Can I Do for You?" at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 2, 2017 15:18

Cool box. I'm looking forward to digging into it, although looks like at least for my iPod I'll only need about 4 of the 8 discs. The London show on the last two discs which is a full show mixing old and new material seems like the key, and then I'll collect all the other songs on there not included which should fill up another two discs or so. But very expansive and cool for the period. Heard the second disc of London last night, gonna heard disc one today, and watched the DVD included which was just great. Some fantastic performances, Dylan was really giving it his all, and the Michael Shannon segments were great. And I read that apparently it was Dylan's idea to do that! Genius.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 2, 2017 19:46

If you order off Dylan's website you get a bonus 2 disk copy of an entire San Diego show from the tour.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 2, 2017 20:38

kovach
If you order off Dylan's website you get a bonus 2 disk copy of an entire San Diego show from the tour.

right, but you'll pay much more than elsewhwere (plus 28 Euros postage if you order from Europe!)

Date: November 2, 2017 21:58

Yeah I saw the San Diego thing but its literally all the same stuff thats already in the box multiple times over. I think I'll be fine with 2 discs of various live material, 2 more discs of highlights from Toronto and then a full show from London. Can't imagine what two more discs of another full show will yield that isn't already in the box.

Date: November 2, 2017 22:10

Can't imagine what two more discs of another full show will yield that isn't already in the box.

.... Fresh crisp greenbacks on the Bob Tree .....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 2, 2017 22:20

Oh I know. Better that he put it out for those that want it than keep it locked away lol. For me personally, I just need the highlights from most of these boxes. I was able to condense the 6 disc Cutting Edge box set down to an hour of material. GREAT material, but in general I just need the new highlights from these boxes and some choice rearrangements of classic songs. But better to put everything out and let me choose since I know many others love it all.

Date: November 2, 2017 22:44

RollingFreak
Oh I know. Better that he put it out for those that want it than keep it locked away lol. For me personally, I just need the highlights from most of these boxes. I was able to condense the 6 disc Cutting Edge box set down to an hour of material. GREAT material, but in general I just need the new highlights from these boxes and some choice rearrangements of classic songs. But better to put everything out and let me choose since I know many others love it all.

If you what the highlight you'll to get at least 5 or 6 out of the 8 discs…
I'll got the deluxe box today, listened to disc 3 and now plaaying disc 4 (since I already know most of the live stuff – but believe: the live recordings from 79/80 are quite different from those from 1981). The studio/rehearal stuff on disc 3+4 is just great. Except for "Ye Shall Be Changed" the box only features recordings that have never been officially released before. Some of the songs/recordings/alternates have not even been circulated amongst collectors (a few have even be unknown to exist). AND a lot of the alternates of well know songs sound very different from the previous released versions!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 2, 2017 23:30

Fascinating stuff. It's a strange coincidence that roughly around the same time period, Dylan and The Stones both had a creative highpoint and were more or less lost thereafter, in the mid-80's.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 2, 2017 23:49

retired_dog
were more or less lost thereafter, in the mid-80's.

For opposite reasons. Dylan lost interest while Jagger was over-excited with his nascent solo career (a career that fortunately went nowhere...).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 2, 2017 23:52

retired_dog
Fascinating stuff. It's a strange coincidence that roughly around the same time period, Dylan and The Stones both had a creative highpoint and were more or less lost thereafter, in the mid-80's.

Fortunately Bob found his way back starting with the back to the roots covers albums Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong, the hitting another career peak with Time Out of Mind and floating around that plateau with several follow ups (Love and Theft, Modern Times, et al).

Unfortunately for the Stones, they never found their way back. Maybe the blues covers album will work in their favor if they ever get another album of originals finished (fingers crossed), but it's something they might have thought about doing when they were in the thick of their slump which began with Dirty Work back in 1986 - nearly 30 years ago!

Date: November 3, 2017 00:09

Phew ... apart from Highlands...
Time Outta Mind is one of the most depressing albums Mr Zimm's ever done ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 3, 2017 00:14

Rockman

you got something wrong: Time Out Of Mind is an album about depression, not a depressing ablum.
And all those different live versions of the songs from TOOM showed how good the songs and the album are!
If the Stones had anyting alike in the last 20-30 years they wouldn't be forced to play only old songs at their shows…

Date: November 3, 2017 00:17

Maybe but I cant get thru it ... Highlands I can play all day
but the rest just bores the tits offa me ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 3, 2017 00:34

Highlands in no picnic either though - just look at some of the lyrics:

"Woke up this morning and I looked at the same old page
Same ol’ rat race
Life in the same ol’ cage"

"Feel like a prisoner in a world of mystery
I wish someone would come
And push back the clock for me"

"Feel like I’m drifting
Drifting from scene to scene
I’m wondering what in the devil could it all possibly mean"?

"Insanity is smashing up against my soul
You can say I was on anything but a roll
If I had a conscience, well, I just might blow my top"

"Every day is the same thing out the door
Feel further away then ever before
Some things in life, it gets too late to learn
Well, I’m lost somewhere
I must have made a few bad turns"

"I see people in the park forgetting their troubles and woes
They’re drinking and dancing, wearing bright-colored clothes
All the young men with their young women looking so good
Well, I’d trade places with any of them
In a minute, if I could"

"I’m crossing the street to get away from a mangy dog
Talking to myself in a monologue"

"The sun is beginning to shine on me
But it’s not like the sun that used to be
The party’s over and there’s less and less to say
I got new eyes
Everything looks far away"

I suppose it ends on a positive note with:

"Well, my heart’s in the Highlands at the break of day
Over the hills and far away
There’s a way to get there and I’ll figure it out somehow
But I’m already there in my mind
And that’s good enough for now"

But it took alot of pain and misery to get there.

Anyhow, I was listening to Jonesy's Jukebox earlier on the radio today and he played Standing in the Doorway (quite rare to hear any of this album on the radio - thanks Jonesy!).
It took me right back to first time ever hearing it and being totally captivated - played the album for weeks on end when I first bought it, and it's in my top ten favorite albums of all time by anyone.
The entire album spoke volumes to me and evidently many others as well as it ended up winning several Grammy's - including album of the year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 00:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 3, 2017 13:19

I've always loved the God era from 1979-1981. Great band, great shows, and thoroughly underrated albums.

Empire Burlesque was when the quality dropped off for a bit. Sloppy songwriting, and poorly-recorded great songs, i.e Tight Connection, I'll Remember You, and When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky.

Date: November 3, 2017 19:11

slewan
Rockman

you got something wrong: Time Out Of Mind is an album about depression, not a depressing ablum.
And all those different live versions of the songs from TOOM showed how good the songs and the album are!
If the Stones had anyting alike in the last 20-30 years they wouldn't be forced to play only old songs at their shows…

Just looked at Bob's setlist so I can see what's coming up for my show in a few weeks. Only about 4 songs (minus the Sinatra covers) I didn't know, with one being Tryin' To Get To Heaven from Time Out Of Mind. Just listened to it now. What an excellent song. Never heard that album, but know Love Sick and Make You Feel My Love. Hoping to get around to it now.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 4, 2017 17:01

Started listening to the Trouble No More set.
Best moment so far is on disc two:

3. Gotta Serve Somebody (July 15, 1981)
the female vocal at the end of the song!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-07 09:47 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 5, 2017 13:21

Bit upset, and disappointed, in that I pre-ordered the 8cd / 1 dvd, and Live at San Diego set, from Bobdylan.com website: as of yet, it hasn't arrived. I'm in a similar state to when I was at uni, i.e 40 marlboros and not a match to light them with.

Date: November 6, 2017 18:57

"Click below to explore never-before-seen memorabilia from the period of Bob Dylan’s latest release, Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981."

[troublenomore.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 7, 2017 02:05

tomcasagranda
Bit upset, and disappointed, in that I pre-ordered the 8cd / 1 dvd, and Live at San Diego set, from Bobdylan.com website: as of yet, it hasn't arrived. I'm in a similar state to when I was at uni, i.e 40 marlboros and not a match to light them with.

Yeah, still waiting on mine too, thought they tried to get these delivered on the release date. I do see it's been shipped however.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home