Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 24, 2017 17:12

"New video today from 1974. This is a new discovery made by "The Caretaker" of old 8mm films from the 1974 Tour with the Band. It was Bob's first major tour since his accident in 1966. On it you'll find audience footage of the tour in Chicago, Toronto, Uniondale, New York and St Louis with great renditions of classic songs. It is certainly the most comprehensive collection of 1974 films I've seen and a real treat to find them after more than 40 years. Of course, the image isn't great but for the times it's alright. According to "The Caretaker", nothing is poorer than second generation tape. Regarding the sound, it comes from Les Kokay master collection.
I decided to post it first since many had asked about 1974 shows in the past and this new material is a good opportunity for fans to enjoy that fantastic year. Hope you will like it"

Bob Dylan and The Band Live in 1974

Date: August 28, 2017 22:00

Bob Dylan concert film added to New York Film Festival lineup

The Film Society of Lincoln Center has added four new titles to the main slate of the New York Film Festival, including the premiere of three documentaries and a film series from Claude Lanzmann, it was announced Monday.

Among the additions is Susan Lacy’s Spielberg, a documentary on the legendary director Steven Spielberg; the Bob Dylan concert film Trouble No More, directed by Jennifer Lebeau and featuring Michael Shannon; and a documentary from Susan Froemke on The Metropolitan Opera House and opera as an art, The Opera House. The society also announced Claude Lanzmann’s four-part film series Four Sisters, about women in Eastern Europe who survived the Holocaust.

In a late addition to the festival’s Retrospective event for Robert Mitchum’s centenary, Bruce Weber will show his work-in-progress Nice Girls Don’t Stay for Breakfast, a documentary on Mitchum that is 20 years in the making.

The 55th New York Film Festival runs from Sept. 28 to Oct. 15. You can see the full lineup of just-announced special events and shorts below.

Trouble No More

Dir. Jennifer Lebeau, USA, 2017, 59m

World Premiere

Like every other episode in the life of Bob Dylan, the “born again” period that supposedly began with the release of Slow Train Coming (1979) and supposedly ended with Shot of Love (1981) has been endlessly scrutinized in the press. Less attention has been paid to the magnificent music he made. This very special film consists of truly electrifying video footage, much of it thought to have been lost for years and all newly restored, shot at shows in Toronto and Buffalo on the last leg of the ’79-’80 tour (with an amazing band: Muscle Shoals veteran Spooner Oldham and Terry Young on keyboards, Little Feat’s Fred Tackett on guitar, Tim Drummond on bass, the legendary Jim Keltner on drums and Clydie King, Gwen Evans, Mona Lisa Young, Regina McCrary and Mary Elizabeth Bridges on vocals) interspersed with sermons written by Luc Sante and beautifully delivered by Michael Shannon. More than just a record of some concerts, Trouble No More is a total experience.

[ew.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 28, 2017 22:18

Thanks Cristiano. thumbs up

First time I ever saw Bob Dylan - the Slow Train Coming Tour at the Santa Monica Civic, 1979.
My brother and I sat next to Ronnie Wood, 5th row center.

From the BigO blog:

Bob Dylan
Santa Monica 1979
The Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Tapes Vol Five [Mike Millard first gen via JEMS, 2CD]
Live at the Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, CA; November 18, 1979. Very good to excellent audience recording.

The Gospel Tour, as it is known, began November 1 at the Fox Warfield Theatre in San Francisco, where Dylan kicked off a 14-night residency. This concert in Santa Monica was the first show that followed the Warfield run and opening night of four in the Los Angeles area. Other than going electric, I would posit there is no other moment in Dylan’s career that reverberated like this seemingly out-of-nowhere shift into what might best be described as a musical tent revival with Bob himself as preacher and soul saver. And because of that, the Gospel Tour is divisive: For some fans, it was the jumping off point; for others, they climbed aboard the slow train coming.

Dylan’s on-stage dialogue at times sparked confrontations with an audience that, by and large, wasn’t sure how to reconcile what they were seeing and hearing with all that came before it. I didn’t see the Gospel Tour in person; my first Dylan show was still six years away. As such, the radical shift that took place in 1979 doesn’t have the same impact for me when revisited in hindsight. On its own merits, the Gospel Tour offers richly satisfying performances and a focused Dylan who was leading the crusade every night.

And talk about a set list that challenged his audience. Dylan didn’t perform a single song from his back catalog, instead filling the set with all eight songs from Slow Train Coming; another seven from its companion, Saved, which would be released the following year; the still unreleased “Blessed Be the Name”; plus several gospel numbers performed by the show’s back-up singers: Regina Havis, Helena Springs and Mona Lisa Young.

From the wikipedia:

In February 1978, Dylan initiated a 10-month World Tour that consisted of 114 concerts in ten countries. On June 15, Dylan released the album Street-Legal, which received poor reviews from most American critics. Performances on his world tour also received negative reviews. The physical demands of touring were also taking a toll on the artist. During a concert on November 17 in San Diego, someone from the audience threw a small silver cross on stage.

Towards the end of his 1978 World Tour, Dylan began performing a new song during sound checks called “Slow Train Coming” - a song with overly Christian lyrics. During the final concert of the tour on December 16, 1978 in Hollywood, Florida, he performed another new song called “Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others)”, with lyrics centered around a Biblical passage from Matthew 7:12, “All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.”

According to Dylan, a turning point came one night in late 1978 when he received a “vision and a feeling” that his born-again Christian girlfriend Mary Alice Artres believed was a “visit from Jesus himself”. Dylan later said, “Jesus put his hand on me. It was a physical thing. I felt it. I felt it all over me. I felt my whole body tremble. The glory of the Lord knocked me down and picked me up.”

Typically, the Gospel Tour shows in 1979 opened with vocalist Regina Havis stepping to the microphone and delivering a monologue on Christian faith. She was then joined on stage by vocalist Helena Springs, pianist Terry Young, and his wife Mona Lisa Young who performed a half dozen gospel songs, such as “If I Got My Ticket Lord”, “It’s Gonna Rain”, “Do Lord, Remember Me”, “Look Up And Live By Faith”, and “Oh Freedom”.

After a brief interlude, Dylan and his backing band emerged and performed typically a 17-song set consisting of songs from the album Slow Train Coming and additional new Christian songs, most of which would end up on his follow-up album Saved.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 28, 2017 23:11

Great stuff thanks very much for posting Cristiano.

Thanks

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 29, 2017 01:35

toronto is fantastic. wonder if this is the stuff eagle rock wants to put out.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 31, 2017 08:50

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 4, 2017 00:57

....It's good but woulda preferred it had been ah studio album ....
.... BUT awwww babeeee The sheer rush and push of Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine and The Band style Temporary Like .... are worth spendin' time with .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 5, 2017 17:50

Date: September 20, 2017 13:18

Bob Dylan Bootleg Series vol. 13 is already up for pre-sale at Amazon.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 20, 2017 13:54

I remember it pretty well when Dylan went gospel .I remember his voice was in good shape and his backing band was on the money including guitarist Fred Tackett .The essential Dylan vibe was present and well as the only thing different was the lyrics to his songs ,one of which was the powerhouse rendition of Slow Train Coming .Even when that song was brand new to me it was a giant of a song performed by the master poet himself .That is actually a fine example of a Dylan total masterpiece of his genre of ART , that he can craft words into sentences and then write MUSIC around those lyrics really like no one else can .Truly a genius and master of his craft .Damn shame that his is like a dying craft or art as in not to many come around in our lifetime .

Date: September 20, 2017 19:10

Bob Dylan ‘Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981’ Coming November 3
SEP 20, 2017

Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 on Friday, November 3.

The deluxe box set includes a hardcover book featuring an introduction by Dylan scholar Ben Rollins with liner notes by Amanda Petrusich, Rob Bowman and Penn Jillette.

Available exclusively on the deluxe box set is a DVD which includes “Trouble No More: A Musical Film,” a new feature-length cinematic presentation combining unreleased footage from Dylan’s 1980 tours with new material written by Luc Sante and performed by Academy Award nominee Michael Shannon. Directed by Jennifer Lebeau, “Trouble No More” has been selected to premiere at the prestigious 2017 New York Film Festival. Bonus extras on the box set’s exclusive DVD include a rare performance of “Shot of Love” from Avignon 1981 and more.

Bob Dylan – Trouble No More – The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979-1981 will also be available in 2CD and 4LPS configurations featuring the first two discs from the deluxe box.

With the exception of “Ye Shall Be Changed,” released in 1991 on The Bootleg Series, Vol. 1-3), none of the tracks on Trouble No More have been previously released. This collection debuts 14 previously unreleased songs and a multitude of unreleased live performances, rare studio outtakes and more.

Full tracklist and further details: [bobdylan.com]

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 19:11

I'm definitely looking forward to this release. The gospel years certainly deserve the same look under the microscope as the other eras. Knowing that we have live cuts aplenty certainly makes it worthwhile, and of course seeing all too well the sad fact that during the period from Street-Legal through Oh Mercy, Dylan was his own worst judge, as so many great songs were left off albums, and other songs ended up neutered and bastardized.

Obviously, I am slightly disappointed that this release didn't cover the Blood On The Tracks/Desire period, which I'm sure we all hoped would be the case. But at least we know they're clearly going to get around to it. I'm sure it will nice to have not only the New York versions officially released, but also the Phil Ramone demos that have never surfaced, the Desire sessions, and further coverage of both Rolling Thunder Revue legs, including the full shows recorded for the Hard Rain album.

Afterwards, I hope to see box sets dedicated to Planet Waves and Tour '74, Street-Legal and the "Alimony Tour", the Infidels through Down In The Groove sessions (including officially releasing the Hearts Of Fire sessions and masters, if not necessarily the film itself), the '84 through Temples In Flames tours (though paperwork with the Grateful Dead would have to be worked out again), the sessions from Love and Theft through today, and a box set wholly devoted to the Never Ending Tour, including an official release of shows like Woodstock '94, the Supper Club, the full MTV Unplugged sessions, the 1997 Wolf trap show, the tour with Paul Simon, and Desert Trip.

Date: September 20, 2017 19:22

Toxic34
I'm definitely looking forward to this release. The gospel years certainly deserve the same look under the microscope as the other eras. Knowing that we have live cuts aplenty certainly makes it worthwhile, and of course seeing all too well the sad fact that during the period from Street-Legal through Oh Mercy, Dylan was his own worst judge, as so many great songs were left off albums, and other songs ended up neutered and bastardized.

Obviously, I am slightly disappointed that this release didn't cover the Blood On The Tracks/Desire period, which I'm sure we all hoped would be the case. But at least we know they're clearly going to get around to it. I'm sure it will nice to have not only the New York versions officially released, but also the Phil Ramone demos that have never surfaced, the Desire sessions, and further coverage of both Rolling Thunder Revue legs, including the full shows recorded for the Hard Rain album.

Afterwards, I hope to see box sets dedicated to Planet Waves and Tour '74, Street-Legal and the "Alimony Tour", the Infidels through Down In The Groove sessions (including officially releasing the Hearts Of Fire sessions and masters, if not necessarily the film itself), the '84 through Temples In Flames tours (though paperwork with the Grateful Dead would have to be worked out again), the sessions from Love and Theft through today, and a box set wholly devoted to the Never Ending Tour, including an official release of shows like Woodstock '94, the Supper Club, the full MTV Unplugged sessions, the 1997 Wolf trap show, the tour with Paul Simon, and Desert Trip.

That would be great! thumbs up

Date: September 20, 2017 20:03

Date: September 21, 2017 00:37

Do you think that when they get to the Blood On The Tracks/Desire box set, it'll be done the way I mentioned? And if so, would they also end up releasing all the concert footage shot for Renaldo and Clara and the Hard Rain TV special on DVD and Blu-ray?

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 03:13

Toxic34
and a box set wholly devoted to the Never Ending Tour

Wow--how would that even work? We're talking a couple of decades, right? I wonder if there would be a way to arrange it in any other way than chronologically? Thematically, maybe? Venue-centric? It would be a daunting task to truly plumb the depths of something that Bob is still actively involved in.

Interesting idea!

BTW, to all those celebrating/observing: L'shanah tova!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 21, 2017 06:22

LongBeachArena72
Toxic34

Wow--how would that even work? We're talking a couple of decades, right? I wonder if there would be a way to arrange it in any other way than chronologically? Thematically, maybe? Venue-centric? It would be a daunting task to truly plumb the depths of something that Bob is still actively involved in.

Interesting idea!

I mean it doesn't sound that different than Tom Petty's semi recent live box set. Just kinda goes everywhere but works well. Especially for Petty cause his voice doesn't really change that much and hasn't all these years later. You could do it for Dylan, but yeah it would still be really daunting.

I was kinda hoping for the Blood On The Tracks/Desire box set as well but I guess its nicer to get an era that really is pretty forgotten, similar to the Self Portrait one. You can look at it with fresh eyes and it ends up being way better. There's so much with that BOOT/Desire period though. The Blood On The Tracks acoustic sessions, Rolling Thunder Revue tour, Renaldo And Clara, Hard Rain, Desire outtakes like Rita May. Obviously most of that is out there, but not a ton officially or re-released. The box I'd want for that would have to be like an 8-10 disc CD/Blu Ray extravaganza thing which is probably unrealstic. And to just get like a 2-4 disc one, it might not actually end up being worth it or different than what we already have. So I get the appeal of this one more. But there's still so much with Dylan that would be nice to see released.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 21, 2017 08:17

kid can get intense. i like it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 21, 2017 10:43

Given that (for an artist of his stature) there hasn't be a lot of official releases of Dylan live, the DVD documentary film looks the most interesting feature of this release.
CBS/Legacy certainly doing a good job curating Dylan's archives.

Posted by: lmc ()
Date: September 21, 2017 10:55

Now we just need a professional recording of what Eyolf Østrem calls the Charlotte miracle, Tangled up in blue from Charlotte 1978: [dylanchords.info]
YouTube link: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 10:57 by lmc.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 21, 2017 11:47

Cristiano Radtke

Damn this is ugly! I've seen boots that look better than this... Bob doesn't look possessed by his faith he looks like a bum that found his way onstage

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 16:34

hopkins

kid can get intense. i like it.

Damn, that is wicked! Preach it, Bobby Z!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 21, 2017 18:14

Looking forward to Vol 13 - religious era is an underrated era.

If truth be told, it's far better than the Arthur Baker Empire Burlesque era, which led into Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove, and Dylan & The Dead.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 21, 2017 18:18

dcba
Cristiano Radtke

Damn this is ugly! I've seen boots that look better than this... Bob doesn't look possessed by his faith he looks like a bum that found his way onstage

I think he looks awesome lol! Love when he looks like a bum.

Date: September 21, 2017 18:20

Don't judge a book (or a record) by the cover... grinning smiley

Date: September 21, 2017 21:41

LongBeachArena72
Toxic34

Interesting idea!

Probably, the best such set would to divide by year and collect at least one version of every song performed on each year's jaunt, with certain special concerts being released in full. Admittedly, even this doesn't fully do justice to the magic that is the Never Ending Tour, to cover EVERY new arrangement, every lyrical shift, every spontaneous moment.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 22, 2017 18:33

This clip is wild.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 22, 2017 23:58

loog droog
This clip is wild.

[www.youtube.com]

Surely is. TY. One of the most beautiful wonderful things I've ever seen or heard; just a surprising delight.
His Bobness. All hail. Master of groove.
Whooda thunk? He's swaying/rocking his hips from side to side as that first girl comes up.
How mellow everyone is! How gentle w him; How tolerant, natural and into it he is.
Just a surprising and wonderfully touching, even magical clip.
Delight. Appreciate you sharing it.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 19:27

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home