Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 7, 2017 03:16

ROCKMAN

Date: June 7, 2017 03:23

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 7, 2017 04:04

I cannot wait for the bootleg series that will cover the born again era.

I hear it is either next up or will follow Blood on the Tracks - which I also eagerly anticipate.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Bob Dylan's new box set The 1966 Live Recordings isn't hitting shelves until November 11th, but his team is already thinking about their next archival release. For the thirteenth chapter of the Bootleg Series, the musician is strongly leaning toward a box set devoted to his gospel period, which ran from 1979 to 1981. The only other set under major consideration is one that chronicles the 1974 Blood on the Tracks sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 04:07 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 7, 2017 05:05

Some tidbits about recording Dylan: Al Schmitt talks recording technique.

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: June 7, 2017 06:43

More about Dylan`s Nobel speech here from the The New Yorker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 06:45 by ComeOn.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 7, 2017 16:42

I couldn't have guess Dylan was such a Holly-admirerer...tongue sticking out smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 7, 2017 18:26

LOL - Amerikka

"Searches for "Literature" Spike After Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize Speech"

As we wrote yesterday, Bob Dylan finally gave his acceptance speech for his Nobel Prize in Literature yesterday, which was required of him if he wanted to obtain the prize money. We expected that he would give the speech eventually; what we weren’t betting on was the public’s lack of understanding of what “literature” is.

As a result of the speech, online searches for the word on the Merriam-Webster website increased 383 percent, which is both a sad and an interesting insight into the level of intelligence of the general population. The increase was so staggering that Merriam-Webster dedicated a whole page to explaining literature.

[www.pastemagazine.com]

Date: June 8, 2017 01:31

Connections ............ ... Bob Montgomery & Buddy Holly watch on as The Rockin' Machine signs autographs --- Lubbock Texas 1955

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 8, 2017 16:27

swiss
Anyone have any idea whose piano accompaniment is undergirding Dylan's speech? As well as an backstory of how that came about -- Dylan's idea? someone else's notion?

This may be sacrilege but I wish I could hear this without the piano meander. I was happy to read the whole thing first, but even so, upon listening found it harder to follow than if it were simply the music of his voice.

What think - or know - about dis?

-swiss

[mobile.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 8, 2017 18:34

Rockman

Connections ............ ... Bob Montgomery & Buddy Holly watch on as The Rockin' Machine signs autographs --- Lubbock Texas 1955

Now that is a cool photo - Buddy Holly in the house!!!

Just found this tidbit (on wiki):

"By 1955, after graduating from high school, Holly decided to pursue a full-time career in music. He was further encouraged after seeing Elvis Presley performing live in Lubbock,
whose act was booked by Pappy Dave Stone of KDAV. In February, Holley opened for Presley at the Fair Park Coliseum, in April at the Cotton Club, and again in June at the Coliseum".

And some info on Bob Montgomery: American singer, songwriter, and record producer/publisher.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 8, 2017 18:36

z
swiss
Anyone have any idea whose piano accompaniment is undergirding Dylan's speech? As well as an backstory of how that came about -- Dylan's idea? someone else's notion?

This may be sacrilege but I wish I could hear this without the piano meander. I was happy to read the whole thing first, but even so, upon listening found it harder to follow than if it were simply the music of his voice.

What think - or know - about dis?

-swiss

[mobile.nytimes.com]

Nice read, thanks for sharing! thumbs up

Date: June 9, 2017 10:19

Last known photo of Buddy Holly - 2 February 1959 -------- Mary Gerber

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 9, 2017 12:56

Wow...I could swear it was Elvis.
I mean, Costello...

Date: June 9, 2017 19:43

Great, but sad photo...

Date: June 10, 2017 04:34

All Along The Watchtower ....!!!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-11 13:48 by Rockman.

Date: June 11, 2017 13:46

JimmyTheSaint
I cannot wait for the bootleg series that will cover the born again era.

I hear it is either next up or will follow Blood on the Tracks - which I also eagerly anticipate.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Bob Dylan's new box set The 1966 Live Recordings isn't hitting shelves until November 11th, but his team is already thinking about their next archival release. For the thirteenth chapter of the Bootleg Series, the musician is strongly leaning toward a box set devoted to his gospel period, which ran from 1979 to 1981. The only other set under major consideration is one that chronicles the 1974 Blood on the Tracks sessions.

Clinton Heylin has a new book covering this period titled "Trouble In Mind: Bob Dylan's Gospel Years - What Really Happened" due out in November. From the Amazon description:

Serving as an invaluable companion to the latest Sony Bootleg Series (November 2017), Trouble in Mind is the first book to focus on the life and works of Dylan as a born-again Christian from the perspective of both his artistic growth and the development of his eschatological worldview. It will draw on previously undocumented song drafts, rehearsal tapes, and new interviews with engineers, musicians, and girlfriends.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: June 11, 2017 19:17

More on the gospel release:

[us.blastingnews.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 11, 2017 19:27

"A new edit of a concert video from Kleinhans Music Hall, Buffalo, New York, in much better quality than the 1980 Toronto show that's been traded among collectors for a while"

Man, what a surprise, I was sure we'd get the well-known Toronto vid... hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-12 10:36 by dcba.

Date: June 12, 2017 03:09

Somewhere around the 40 minute mark in the new David Lynch doco
The Art Life Lynch talk about how Peter Wolf once moved in to share a flat in Boston with him

Lynch says Wolf sure knew all about the blues but never picked up a paint brush..

Then talks about smoking hootch with Wolf and going to a Dylan concert..
Lynch is right up in the rear of the concert and happens to have a seat beside an ex-girlfriend ... When Dylan comes on Lynch cant believe how small he is...
along with that Lynch is not enjoying Dylan's singing so he up and walks out of the concert...

Wolf returns to the flat after the concert and tells Lynch .. Nobody walks out of a Dylan concert !!!! ....
Lynch arcs up and tells him... Well I do so get the fook out !!!! ............ That was the end of living with Wolf ....

Oh YEAH..... Good doco by the way ....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 13, 2017 20:27

Date: June 14, 2017 00:40

Cristiano Radtke

[www.factmag.com]

Have to ask...why potato chip bags?
Is there some deeper meaning?
Or is it just a nifty and/or meaningless idea?

Watching six minute video, but I have no clue what it's about being that it's Chinese...something to do with worshiping/studying Dylan I suppose.

And the google translation of text give no clues:

We finally got the Nobel Prize Bob Dylan lyrics set into China, packed in potato chips bag
The next one looks like a bag of potato chips in the bag, filled with Bob Dylan's lyrics set of the first Chinese version.
He was a singer and won the Nobel Prize for Literature. His lyrics were sung for many years and finally authorized to publish them in Chinese.
Excellent Chinese poets and translators like to wait for many years, have joined the ranks of translation.

In the past few decades, people can not wait to translate these lyrics into many versions, in the watercress,
and even specifically active in a translation of the lyrics of the volunteer groups, to help the Chinese people Early to understand the charm of his lyrics.

In the Bob Dylan personally revised English version, Guangxi Normal University press nearly a year after the translation, editing, we can finally recommend this set of Chinese version to you
Like him, usually busy in every corner, singer, editor, actor, college teacher, entrepreneur ... ... this time to let them stop to do the same thing: in the following video, the collective to Bob Dylan Express thanks and love.

I know that some languages can't be properly translated, but "In the watercress"?

smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 15, 2017 12:33

Swedish newspapers writes about the Nobel fraud. Shame on you Robert Zimmerman. Sara Danius is in a tight spot now. Wouldn't it be easier if they gave the prize to an author next time around?

[www.expressen.se]

Date: June 15, 2017 15:16

Stoneage
Shame on you Robert Zimmerman. Sara Danius is in a tight spot now.

You mean the controversy's still raging? eye popping smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 15, 2017 15:20

dcba
Stoneage
Shame on you Robert Zimmerman. Sara Danius is in a tight spot now.

You mean the controversy's still raging? eye popping smiley

Yep, maybe this article explains it better: [www.slate.com]

Date: June 15, 2017 16:33

Thx for the link! thumbs up

An imaginary Dylan fan with a PHD in art history speaks for the master : "Well Dylan doesn't plagiarize anyone: he quotes other people in a post-modern fashion, just like Sherrie Levine did with visual arts, blah blah..." grinning smiley

Dylan used to be described as "a riddle wrapped in an enigma". Soon it'll be "Dylan is a controversy wrapped in a dispute" smoking smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 15, 2017 16:45

dcba
Thx for the link! thumbs up

Dylan used to be described as "a riddle wrapped in an enigma".

A Churchill phrase describing Russia...

Date: June 15, 2017 18:10

loog droog

A Churchill phrase describing Russia...

I'm sure Stalin thought the same of the English PM : "how could this chronically depressed, alcoholic mudak stand up to H!tler for 5 years?" grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 22:33 by dcba.

Date: June 16, 2017 01:04

THE AUSTRALIAN ---- 16 June 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: June 16, 2017 01:43

Herald Sun --- 16 June 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 16, 2017 05:15

Dylan's "autobiography" was plagiarized from several strange, obscure sources.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home