Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 20, 2017 22:43

Please, Bob - some new original tunes! Even if they're sub-par it will be better than more Sinatra stuff...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2017 01:01

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2017 01:07

HonkeyTonkFlash
Please, Bob - some new original tunes! Even if they're sub-par it will be better than more Sinatra stuff...

Yes please - and the same goes out to the Stones - no more blues covers.
While B&L is adequate/decent, it's time to get real and record some originals - even of they suck at least they tried.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 21, 2017 01:17

Nate
gotdablouse
Nate
gotdablouse
Sounds good, we should try to grab a beer before/at the show!

Yep for sure

Nate smileys with beer

It's tomorrow ! Just sent you en email ;-)

Hi gotdablouse
Yes let's try and meet for a couple of beers before the concert
I can't access my emails on my phone left my iPad at home
I will be going up to the zenith area about 6pm is there a bar up there to meet in?
I will try and find a computer this afternoon to read your email
Are you on Facebook?

Nate smileys with beer

Too bad we didn't get to meet up for some beers before the show.
I thought Bob was stunning tonight I thought the encore was particularly brilliant.
Hope you enjoyed the concert and make it back home safe,stay away from the Champs Elysees area tonight if you haven't already heard.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 21, 2017 01:27

Yeah too bad we couldn't meet up, I was running late and missed the beginning actually, first time I see a rock concert start on time! But yeah, great show, glad I was able to catch him live for the first time!

I overhead cops talking about "Rue de Berri" as I was leaving so I figured something had happened again, so sad, stay safe.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 21, 2017 03:11

Rockman

wow

Date: April 21, 2017 03:55

YEAH ............. XFX

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 21, 2017 04:09

There's already five videos from tonight's concert on this YouTube channel: [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 21, 2017 04:32

Rockman

Once I read an article written by a brazilian journalist who interviewed Bob in the late 80s/early 90s. At some point of the interview, the journalist asked Bob about Elvis. From that moment on, Bob stopped the interview and Victor Maymudes (Dylan's personal assistant) went to tell to the journalist that he crossed the line with that question.

Date: April 21, 2017 07:04

Song Premiere: Willie Nile Pays Tribute to Bob Dylan

[observer.com]

Date: April 21, 2017 07:52

Cristiano Radtke

[observer.com]

Thanks for link Cristiano.
Nice interview, tune sounds good, looking forward to hearing more! thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 21, 2017 16:55

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

[observer.com]

Thanks for link Cristiano.
Nice interview, tune sounds good, looking forward to hearing more! thumbs up

^^
SAME !

thanks, Cristiano.

Date: April 21, 2017 22:45

ROCKMAN

Date: April 24, 2017 23:26

kind of persnickety aint he?
"Note: No journalists or photographers were permitted at the Bob Dylan concert at the Rockhal by his management. This review was done 'undercover'."
smiling smiley
Bob Dylan’s ‘Never Ending Tour’ comes to Rockhal
[www.wort.lu]
"...His performance was eccentric as ever, focusing on reinventing songs, musical arrangements and repertoire.
As is Dylan's custom, little attention was paid to the packed crowd -- not even a 'thank you' was audible...."
eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-24 23:28 by hopkins.

Date: April 25, 2017 07:03

THE song that brought Dylan to prominence when this version went to #2.
Might even have saved his recording contract at Columbia at the time.
He had two originals on his first LP, and then Freewheelin' had all originals.
Al Grossman had created PPM, it was his concept and doing but their talent.
They were the biggest stars of a very serious and popular folk music scene.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Wiki:
"Blowin' in the Wind" was first covered by The Chad Mitchell Trio, but their record company delayed release of the album containing it because the song included the word death, so the trio lost out to Peter, Paul and Mary, who were represented by Dylan's manager, Albert Grossman. The single sold a phenomenal 300,000 copies in the first week of release and made the song world-famous. On August 17, 1963, it reached number two on the Billboard pop chart, with sales exceeding one million copies. Peter Yarrow recalled that, when he told Dylan he would make more than $5,000 (equivalent to $39,000 in 2016[12]) from the publishing rights, Dylan was speechless.[13] Peter, Paul and Mary's version of the song also spent five weeks atop the easy listening chart.

songfacts:
The Dylan version of this song was never a hit - it was a cover by Peter, Paul & Mary that made #2 in the US in February 1963, introducing many people to the music of Bob Dylan, who was an obscure folk singer at the time.
Dylan gained National exposure when he performed this song with Peter, Paul & Mary at the 1963 Newport Folk Festival. Magazines like Time, Playboy, and The New Yorker ran stories on Dylan after the performance.

Peter, Paul and Mary - Blowing in the Wind - Live
[www.youtube.com]

Studio Version that was THE hit:
[www.youtube.com]

Live version at The March On Washington - This an astounding moment in music history and American History. The first massive demonstration for Civil Rights:
March On Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Most of the performance and then some narration from Paul and Peter...
[www.youtube.com]

[upload.wikimedia.org]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 26, 2017 00:59

Went to see Bob in Frankfurt tonight a great show.
Anyone who's in two minds about going to see him should go.
Bob is sounding fantastic.

Nate thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 01:00 by Nate.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2017 01:24

Nate

Nate thumbs up

I think the next time he comes around to my area I'll be catching him. Last few times its come at times where I had other big concerts and contemporaries of his to see instead. But hopefully having seen most of them at this point Bob will be easily caught next time. Won't go with expectations but do want to see him before he dies. I think only him and Elton John are rock legends from the 60s and 70s I've never gotten around to seeing. Glad to see people are still enjoying him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 01:26 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: April 26, 2017 01:44

Nate

Nate thumbs up

Was there too. All concert long I was wandering why there was a extra Strat and an amp almost in the middle of the stage. It looked like as if it was waiting for a guest to be used. Or waiting for Bob to be used? It was never touched.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: April 26, 2017 02:07

That is indeed Bob's guitar... always there if he feels the urge to pick it up. He's only played guitar once in the past several years, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 02:07 by Bobbyb98.

Date: April 26, 2017 03:25

Bob Dylan Plays Guitar on Stage!(2016 live)
[www.youtube.com]

I don't know why he picked it up this night; chalking it off to a simple twist of fate.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 26, 2017 06:11

Man I'm loving Triplicate and the last 2 albums.

I generally disliked Rod's and Ronstadt's series of standards, but his seem so much truer to the genre. Plus...you know Rod Stewart or Linda Ronstadt when you hear them...with Bob's you're like...is that really Dylan??

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 26, 2017 18:42

So what is the real scoop on why he has given up the guitar? Does anyone know or have some links to stories?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 26, 2017 18:57

^^

maybe because there are three excellent guitar players in his band, if including

the steel player..

smiling smiley

Date: April 26, 2017 19:05

whitem8
So what is the real scoop on why he has given up the guitar? Does anyone know or have some links to stories?

I don't have the 'real scoop', but the last couple of times I saw him up close he kept his right arm straight and dangling down most of the time, while his left hand was clinched and tucked in to his waste. Sometimes he would clinch the mic stand or his harmonica which looked natural, but when he wasn't holding something it looked a bit odd. Could just be some advanced arthritis that prevents him from being comfortable while holding and playing a guitar. He definitely looked the most comfortable while at the piano, and he played with a lot of gusto!

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 26, 2017 19:08

He said it's a completely different band when he's playing guitar and when he's on keyboards. It changes the dynamics.

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 26, 2017 19:16

Here:
For the last few years you’ve mostly been playing piano on stage, very little guitar. How come?

I play at sound checks and at home, but the chemistry is better when I’m at the piano. It changes the dynamics of the band if I play the guitar. Maybe it’s just too tedious to go back and forth from one to the other. I’m strictly a rhythm player anyway. I’m not a solo player and when the piano gets locked in with the steel guitar, it’s like big band orchestrated riffs. That doesn’t happen when I’m playing guitar. When I play guitar it’s a different band.

(Q&A with Bill Flanagan MAR 22, 2017)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 27, 2017 00:21

Yeah, he basically just doesn't have a reason. Not that it hurts, but sad cause he's an underrated guitarist. Although he probably wouldn't play like he used to anyway.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: April 27, 2017 01:32

Anyone here remember the old Dylanpool forum? How it was all exciting when he switched to the piano, and then few years later all the "enough with the plink-plonk" posts, and then the excitement when he picked the guitar again...
I saw him in 2010; he did 4 songs on guitar, that was kinda huge... thanks for sharing that clip from 2016, first time he played guitar onstage since 2012. It was a nice surprise for sure.
My favourite Bobby surprise though will always be him digging up "Romance in Durango" in London 2003, 27 years after the last performances in 1976:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 27, 2017 04:01

One of my favorite Dylan surprises happened three nights in a row - great versions of the Stones' Brown Sugar Oct. 15, 16, and 17, 2002 at the then newly refurbished Wiltern Theater.
He was the first to break in the 'new' theater a few weeks before the Stones played there.

Another memorable Dylan surprise - sitting next to Ronnie Wood 5th row center at the Santa Monica Civic 1979.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 04:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: April 27, 2017 04:51

I remember the online excitement when he debuted "Billy" (PGABTK, 1973) in 2009. So far the only live performance of the song:

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home