Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Date: March 23, 2017 15:11

Works here as well. Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 23, 2017 15:24

"Did you say Taylor Swift?"... Must be the funniest line in the Dylan's interview...

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 23, 2017 16:05

More US dates announced. $435 for front row in Providence RI - thanks, but no.

[www.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: March 23, 2017 16:48

I thought tix were going on sale tomorrow for US dates.
But I just bought 2 for Capital Theatre in Post Chester, NY.
Not sure why they're available today, but if your interested give it a try.

update: looks like just VIP packages on sale.
General Admission/Early Entry for $265 not a bad deal

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 17:03 by GS1978.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: March 23, 2017 17:18

I was born and lived in Duluth, Minnesota too and it was pretty cool to hear him talk about the place in the interview.

My parents were on a date at the 1959 Buddy Holly show in Duluth, the same one Dylan was at when he was Robert Zimmerman, the same one that changed Dylan's course. It was just days before Buddy Holly died.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 23, 2017 17:55

Yes - VIP Tix available today. Capitol in Port Chester would be a great place to see Bob! I saw him once again in Baton Rouge, LA back in Oct. and while he can be hit or miss - it was a very good show!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 24, 2017 04:27

Cristiano Radtke
kowalski
"Audio unavailable in your region" ... Do record companies realize that we are now in the 21st century? eye rolling smiley

Same here. thumbs up

This link is working for me: [whro.org]

Link seems dead now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2017 11:23

Advertiser -- 25 March 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: March 28, 2017 14:26

UNCUT 240 -- May 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 28, 2017 15:52

Rockman

Advertiser -- 25 March 2017

Can anybody tell me please what guitar/brand Bob is playing here?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 29, 2017 01:41

Massive Bob Dylan Archive Opens in Oklahoma

Tulsa collection available to researchers, with planned public center in the works

By Jon Blistein

The Bob Dylan archive in Tulsa, Oklahoma is now open to select groups and individuals with qualified research projects. Those hoping to view and use the archive at the Helmerich Center for American Research at the Gilcrease Museum will have to submit a Research Associate Application to the librarian and a list of relevant items from the archive's online finding aid.

MORE HERE: [www.rollingstone.com]

From what I've read on that online list, these are some of the most interesting items, imho:

Film and Video

Woodstock 1967

Sixty minutes of color, sound, footage featuring Dylan, Paul Stookey, Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson and Tiny Tim in Bearsville, NY. Digitized from [6] 16mm reels.

New Morning [1970]

Roughly an hour and a half of footage of Dylan in the studio recording tracks for his 1970 New Morning LP. Digitized from [3], ½ inch, EIAJ-1, b/w, porta-pak video cassette tapes.

Infidels [1983]

Infidels studio session with Mick Taylor and Mark Knopfler filmed by Albert and David Maysles. 1983. 90 mins. Digitized from 16mm work-print.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-29 02:32 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 29, 2017 01:57

Cristiano Radtke

New Morning [1970]

Roughly an hour and a half of footage of Dylan in the studio recording tracks for his 1970 New Morning LP. Digitized from [3], ½ inch, EIAJ-1, b/w, porta-pak video cassette tapes....

ty; great news for me! Def wanna get next to this.
Love "New Morning" and "Nashville Skyline!" I think his studio LP's in '69 and '70 just tops and continuing to be remarkable!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 29, 2017 05:23

hopkins
Cristiano Radtke

New Morning [1970]

Roughly an hour and a half of footage of Dylan in the studio recording tracks for his 1970 New Morning LP. Digitized from [3], ½ inch, EIAJ-1, b/w, porta-pak video cassette tapes....

Love "New Morning" and "Nashville Skyline!" I think his studio LP's in '69 and '70 just tops and continuing to be remarkable!

Yes. It took the "Another Self Portrait" Bootleg Series collection to put some perspective of what Bob was trying to do then for me to really appreciate that period.

Date: March 29, 2017 07:06

loog droog
hopkins
Cristiano Radtke

New Morning [1970]

Yes. It took the "Another Self Portrait" Bootleg Series collection to put some perspective of what Bob was trying to do then for me to really appreciate that period.

Yes and yes! thumbs up

It would be great to watch some more footage from that era, apart from that studio recording of Dylan playing One Too Many Mornings with Johnny Cash or his appearance at Johnny's TV show.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: March 29, 2017 18:40

Poor artwork on the new Triplicate cd, not even composer cedits...

Date: March 29, 2017 23:07

"In a few days Bob Dylan will visit Stockholm and give two concerts. The Swedish Academy is very much looking forward to the weekend and will show up at one of the performances. Please note that no Nobel Lecture will be held. The Academy has reason to believe that a taped version will be sent at a later point. (Taped Nobel lectures are presented now and then, the latest of which was that of Nobel Laureate Alice Munro in 2013.) At this point no further details are known.

The good news is that the Swedish Academy and Bob Dylan have decided to meet this weekend. The Academy will then hand over Dylan’s Nobel diploma and the Nobel medal, and congratulate him on the Nobel Prize in Literature. The setting will be small and intimate, and no media will be present; only Bob Dylan and members of the Academy will attend, all according to Dylan’s wishes."

[akademibloggen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 29, 2017 23:44

Date: March 30, 2017 02:17

"The 42 Best Bob Dylan Songs" (according to writers working for Paste Magazine)
[www.pastemagazine.com]

well we know how these things go; they're gonna include a lot of great ones and miss a lot of essential ones to somebody's elses experienced ear or heart....
i mean i myself immediately have about a dozen obvious favorites that are really important to me and nowhere even close to this list...
...be that as it may....
a pretty cool bunch of short essays and descriptions on a remarkable bunch of songs.
I guess it's equally remarkable that many of us could easily have picked another dozen or two, or more, that did NOT make this list...
...still i enjoyed it; some of these writers are good; and hope some fans will get a kick out of this...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2017 03:29

Call me an oddball, but my list of '42 Best Bob Dylan Songs' would have to include the Time Out of Mind album in it's entirety.

Date: March 30, 2017 03:45

Hairball: "Call me an oddball but.....Time Out of Mind album in it's entirety."
grinning smiley

Haha; oddball.
me 2.
here's another four or five hundred to pick from! winking smiley

they should probably give him NEXT year's Nobel prize for literature too!
they could give him an entire country and ocean and it wouldn't be enough.
(there's likely to be a handful of cover songs in this list too but...
...his choices there also very telling and fascinating imo)
Seriously, i could make SEVERAL 42 song lists out of his catalog, and never repeat one, no prob...

[www.angelfire.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 03:51 by hopkins.

Date: March 30, 2017 04:19

I used to read the lyrics to all of Dylan's songs before I was familiar with all the tunes in order to make sense of it all, and oftentimes I'd find something that was really profound and intriguing.
I'd then search out the actual tune itself, and sometimes I'd be surprised to find out the song kind of sucks. winking smiley Didn't happen often, but not every song he ever recorded is an all around masterpiece.

"Seriously, i could make SEVERAL 42 song lists out of his catalog, and never repeat one, no prob..."

Yes same here. thumbs up

Date: March 31, 2017 01:06

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 31 MARCH 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 31, 2017 01:41

Hairball
Call me an oddball, but my list of '42 Best Bob Dylan Songs' would have to include the Time Out of Mind album in it's entirety.

Thats is odd and I really like TOOM. Would like to see the rest of your list.

Date: March 31, 2017 02:40

stanlove
Hairball

Thats is odd and I really like TOOM. Would like to see the rest of your list.

It's too late...things have changed...ever day is a new list.
Today's list would have to include Blood on the Tracks in it's entirety. The other 32 are interchangeable...for today's list anyways.
Not Dark Yet, Love Sick, Jokerman, Hard Rain, Masters of War, Delia (cover), and Positively 4th Street (among others) are sure to always be there though...probably.

Date: March 31, 2017 04:27

MOJO 282 -- May 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: March 31, 2017 05:28

HERALD SUN -- 31 March 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: March 31, 2017 06:01

This MOJO reviewer David Fricke thinks this is some of his best singing in 30 years. i agree. then he gives it 3 stars because he wants originals instead of these incredible songs he is so beautifully rendering...with so much taste and reality and focus; and beautiful singing...i dunno. i haven't heard ALL of it and i'm not a critic; The reviewer's writing is good; his observations are cool and informative; he seems to know his stuff then he seems to be stingy with the 'stars' not even 3 1/2 and it's his best singing since the 80's in his opinion?
ok...

well i'm always up for some new Dylan material, who is not? but in this case, and actually in most cases, i think it's almost my responsibility to take the artist, or 'judge' the artist on his own proscenium and platform that is being presented...]

he's just adding to the canon...and he of all people deserves to be judged on the merits of the work the artist chooses to present...we know these are incredible, searching songs by some of the most profound lyricists ever....

this dylan guy has put out like more than TWO DOZEN albums of original material; and very very many of these are just totally grand in so many ways...almost 3 dozen studio albums of original material, a whole hell of a lot of it absolutely untouchable as for the writing and yes the singing and groove...imo.

his last original LP was that Tempest? purty damn good; purty damn reliable and steady...he's all talking in interviews about how he doesn't even know how he wrote that early stuff, how it just came upon him and possessed him and is a time gone, but he DOES keep writing great stuff everytime he puts something from his own pen out there....

i'm not gonna pretend i don't listen to early, and actually ALL of his periods of releases....cause i do; i mean i'm still finding solo versions of mr. tamb man, and "blowin' in the wind" i hadn't heard before and are totally amazing and awe inspiring...so i kinda get it what the mag is saying in a way; and i really don't get it at all in other ways...

".....Feel like my soul is beginning to expand
Look into my heart and you will sort of understand
You brought me here, now you're trying to run me away
The writing's on the wall, come read it, come see what it say

Thunder on the mountain, rolling like a drum
Gonna sleep over there, that's where the music coming from
I don't need any guide, I already know the way
Remember this, I'm your servant both night and day

The pistols are poppin' and the power is down
I'd like to try somethin' but I'm so far from town
The sun keeps shinin' and the North Wind keeps picking up speed
Gonna forget about myself for a while, gonna go out and see what others need

I've been sitting down studying the art of love
I think it will fit me like a glove
I want some real good woman to do just what I say
Everybody got to wonder what's the matter with this cruel world today

Thunder on the mountain rolling to the ground
Gonna get up in the morning walk the hard road down
Some sweet day I'll stand beside my king
I wouldn't betray your love or any other thing

Gonna raise me an army, some tough sons of bitches
I'll recruit my army from the orphanages
I been to St. Herman's church and I've said my religious vows
I've sucked the milk out of a thousand cows

I got the porkchops, she got the pie
She ain't no angel and neither am I
Shame on your greed, shame on your wicked schemes
I'll say this, I don't give a damn about your dreams

Thunder on the mountain heavy as can be
Mean old twister bearing down on me
All the ladies of Washington scrambling to get out of town
Looks like something bad gonna happen, better roll your airplane down

Everybody's going and I want to go too
Don't wanna take a chance with somebody new
I did all I could and I did it right there and then
I've already confessed – no need to confess again

Gonna make a lot of money, gonna go up north
I'll plant and I'll harvest what the earth brings forth
The hammer's on the table, the pitchfork's on the shelf
For the love of God, you ought to take pity on yourself..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-31 07:24 by hopkins.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 31, 2017 12:42

Dylan's behaviour after winning the prize is embarrassing. He could have easily rejected the honour, nobody is forced to accept a nobel prize.
Saying nothing for weeks and avoiding contact to the committee is respectless. Anyway, I hope Dylan will be in shape on the upcoming tour (and hopefully he will play mostly his own songs).

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 31, 2017 13:18

windmelody
Dylan's behaviour after winning the prize is embarrassing. He could have easily rejected the honour, nobody is forced to accept a nobel prize.
Saying nothing for weeks and avoiding contact to the committee is respectless. Anyway, I hope Dylan will be in shape on the upcoming tour (and hopefully he will play mostly his own songs).

Yes, I have to agree....although the saga isn't fully played out, as yet.
Bet its the last time the Nobel people nominate a pop star!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 1, 2017 21:59

Is anyone going to the Stockholm concert tonight?

Nate thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1767
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home