Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 11, 2016 01:47

.... heart goes out to you Patti .... nervous just watching ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 11, 2016 02:17

Lovely article with a Stones reference:

A Transcendent Patti Smith Accepts Bob Dylan’s Nobel Prize

At Saturday morning’s Nobel Prize ceremony in Stockholm, after the Swedish royal anthem was played, Carl-Henrik Heldin, the chairman of the board of the Nobel Foundation, delivered a brief speech to the collected laureates and guests. King Carl XVI Gustaf, his wife, Queen Silvia, and their daughter, Crown Princess Victoria, had assembled behind him, bedecked in gloriously elaborate, heavily festooned ensembles. The air was rarified. Onstage, things were glinting. “In times like these, the Nobel Prize is important,” Heldin said. What he meant by the phrase “times like these”—that our days were dark—seemed immediately evident to everyone in the room. “Alfred Nobel wanted to reward those who have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind.”

This remains such a beautiful, generous mandate. Theoretically, the Nobel Foundation’s mission is expansive in scope, but it’s profoundly simple, too: Whose work has best improved the world we share? In the months leading up to the ceremony, there was copious chatter about the recipient of this year’s award for literature, the American musician Bob Dylan. Did Dylan deserve it? Are his songs in fact a kind of literature? Are any songs a kind of literature? Can a lyric be successfully untangled from a melody? Can a piece of music be distilled into its constituent parts? At the beginning of “Sympathy for the Devil,” when Mick Jagger belches that first, frantic “Yow!”—is that language? What about Blind Willie Johnson, mumbling his way through “Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground”—his woeful, gravid moaning, is that poetry? Are those words? Is what Dylan has done fundamentally comparable to what William Faulkner or Doris Lessing or V. S. Naipaul has done? Who knows?

Link to full article:

[www.newyorker.com]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 11, 2016 03:14

Well done Patti Smith, tremendious & very emotional performance.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 11, 2016 09:56

Stoneage
Well, the famous recluse didn't bother to come.

He's hardly a recluse given that he tours the world constantly, and saying he "didn't bother to come" implies that you know that's why he wasn't there, when in fact we don't know why. But judging from the tone of his message, it hardly seems like he just couldn't be bothered.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 11, 2016 15:38

Aquamarine

He's hardly a recluse given that he tours the world constantly, and saying he "didn't bother to come" implies that you know that's why he wasn't there, when in fact we don't know why. But judging from the tone of his message, it hardly seems like he just couldn't be bothered.

He didn't state any reason. And I don't think he had one. It took him weeks just to answer them in the first place. Recluse may not be the right word but he is reserved , introvert and shies the public.
His message? He made that not to officially insult the host and, of course, to make sure he got the paycheck (about a million dollars). It probably took him ten minutes to write that down.

Date: December 11, 2016 21:32

What has happened with the "Quote the message" option? I doesn't work like it used to do...

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 11, 2016 22:25

Stoneage

He didn't state any reason. And I don't think he had one. It took him weeks just to answer them in the first place. Recluse may not be the right word but he is reserved , introvert and shies the public.
His message? He made that not to officially insult the host and, of course, to make sure he got the paycheck (about a million dollars). It probably took him ten minutes to write that down.

It took him ten minutes to write Blowin' In The Wind too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 22:26 by z.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 11, 2016 22:37

Stoneage

Source?

Nevermind.. found it.
[upload.wikimedia.org]

Date: December 11, 2016 22:59

grinning smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 00:59

"Item no longer available" when you get to check out. Bugga

Rod

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 12, 2016 10:49

Speaking of Bob's public awkwardness, it's interesting to note how that has had it's ebbs and flows at different times, at least pertaining to his in-concert behaviour. The First time I saw him in 1981, he was fairly chatty between numbers. Saw him again in 1987 and 1988; nary a word. Saw him again in 1990, very chatty again. Lately he's pretty quiet between numbers again...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 12, 2016 10:58

just did a check ........Looks like it's still available bitsusa2012 ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 12, 2016 21:07

Inside the Bob Dylan Archive

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 01:32

Just announced the Dylan Bootleg series 1-3 on vinyl.

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 13, 2016 12:20

Had 4 computers ready to buy a ticket when they went on sale for the U.K. Tour this morning got onto the webpage right on time but guess what no front of stage tickets left for any venue but there was an option to go to ticketbastards other website getmein which helps fans who bought a ticket and then 2 minutes later discovered they can no longer attend the gig to sell their ticket at multiple times the face value.
How thoughtful of ticketbastard to provide this service for people.

Nate thumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 12:20 by Nate.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: December 13, 2016 13:19

Nate
Had 4 computers ready to buy a ticket when they went on sale for the U.K. Tour this morning got onto the webpage right on time but guess what no front of stage tickets left for any venue but there was an option to go to ticketbastards other website getmein which helps fans who bought a ticket and then 2 minutes later discovered they can no longer attend the gig to sell their ticket at multiple times the face value.

This is a shocker. Some noise in the UK press recently about stamping this out but I'll believe it when I see it. In the end it may be down to the artists to do something and take a stand - after all they're not getting the extra cash. PJ Harvey's manager was on radio recently saying that they try to pick venues that can prevent this sort of thing but it's not always possible with some venues.

Anyway back to Dylan. I got 2 tickets for Nottingham. Not front of stage but should be a fairly good view and fingers crossed for the setlist.

Date: December 13, 2016 22:57

There have been no tickets for any section available for the London show at all today this can't be right.
Something needs to be done about these ticketing companies holding all if not the majority of the best tickets back for secondary ticket sites.
It would not be difficult to put these people in their place and stop this from happening it is disgusting that fans are being treated in this way.

Nate thumbs down

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 23:08

JumpinJimF

This is a shocker. Some noise in the UK press recently about stamping this out but I'll believe it when I see it. In the end it may be down to the artists to do something and take a stand - after all they're not getting the extra cash. PJ Harvey's manager was on radio recently saying that they try to pick venues that can prevent this sort of thing but it's not always possible with some venues.

Anyway back to Dylan. I got 2 tickets for Nottingham. Not front of stage but should be a fairly good view and fingers crossed for the setlist.

I think his setlist will finally be back to normal. His return to arenas is actually a good sign. Venues aren't as intimate, but the song choices will be better.

Date: December 14, 2016 15:33

Got tix for the Oslo-show! thumbs up

Date: December 14, 2016 16:06

I have booked tickets for his lecture at the Swedish Academy. Front row including meet and greet. I wonder which topic he will choose? Looking forward to this...

Date: December 14, 2016 17:48

DandelionPowderman
Got tix for the Oslo-show! thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: December 14, 2016 20:30

Went by my local library and picked up a CD, "The Essential Bob Dylan". A prize in the voting contest for Nobel's prize in literature. I voted for Adonis. No one guessed Dylan so they picked the winners randomly.
And I lent a book "Armfeldts Armé" by Geir Pollen. I hope it's good even though Pollen is Norwegian...

Date: December 15, 2016 00:36

Stoneage
Went by my local library and picked up a CD, "The Essential Bob Dylan". A prize in the voting contest for Nobel's prize in literature. I voted for Adonis. No one guessed Dylan so they picked the winners randomly.
And I lent a book "Armfeldts Armé" by Geir Pollen. I hope it's good, in fact I know it is, since Pollen is Norwegian...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 15, 2016 01:17

Never seen him live...wonder if I should try to pick up a ticket for his show in April, apparently it's "only" €62 for GA at the Zenith in Paris.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 15, 2016 01:41

It was "only" €125 for my ticket in Oslo...

Date: December 15, 2016 02:30

gotdablouse
Never seen him live...wonder if I should try to pick up a ticket for his show in April, apparently it's "only" €62 for GA at the Zenith in Paris.

Buy it.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 15, 2016 02:52

Nate
gotdablouse

Buy it.

Nate thumbs up

Yeah, don't think twice, it's all right. grinning smiley

Date: December 15, 2016 10:30

hehe, ok ;-) 30' to go, if they have GA I'm in !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 15, 2016 11:58

Ok, well no GA but I got a 5th row for €95 a bit to the left of the stage so it's not too bad. Naturally Ticketbast@rd dropped tickets dead center 4th/5th rows just after I broke down and paid for mine but that's par for the course...can't wait, hope he plays Hurricane ;-)

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-15 15:40 by gotdablouse.

Date: December 15, 2016 13:20

gotdablouse
Ok, well no GA but I got a 5th row for €95 a bit to the left of the stage so it's not too bad. Naturally Ticketbast@rd dropped tickets dead center 4th/5th rows just after I broke down and paid for mine but that's the par for the course...can't wait, hope he plays Hurricane ;-)

Nice glad you got a ticket you will enjoy the show.
Yes Hurricane would be great I've seen Bob 5 times before and never heard him play that.
I decided to get the 62€ ticket as I'm saving for the Stones in the summer.
Never been to the Zenith before maybe see you there.

Nate thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home