Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 17, 2016 20:13

loog droog

Any more details on this?

That is all I have for now. Oldchella should be interesting.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2016 20:28

DeanGoodman
Anyone in LA see Dylan at the Shrine tonight? A friend said the place had a really bad vibe - a lot of drunk old men were fighting in both the cheap and expensive seats ... People were complaining - wild scene.

Wonder what drunk old men were fighting and complaining about ...vocals? reinterpretations? setlist? haha
Makes me wonder again how he will go over at Desert Trip - 90% of the fans there will be in for a surprise if they're unfamilar with his live shows.

I was at the Santa Barbara show on saturday, and it was all good vibes.
Great show - similar to last year at Dolby. Mavis Staples was fantastic as opener!!!
Almost wanted to go to L.A. show, but now glad I didn't.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 17, 2016 20:41

Hairball
Makes me wonder again how he will go over at Desert Trip - 90% of the fans there will be in for a surprise if they're unfamilar with his live shows.

1) "I'm gonna go see Bob Dylan."
2) "Oh cool! I remember the Concert For Bangladesh--cool Levi jacket, that trademark curly hair, acoustic guitar....sounds great!"
1) "Well....."

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 17, 2016 20:58

Milan
Hairball

2) "Oh cool! I remember the Concert For Bangladesh--cool Levi jacket, that trademark curly hair, acoustic guitar....sounds great!"
1) "Well....."

If people want to appreciate modern day Bob, they better listen to his albums from 1997 to date. he doesn't do alot of older songs anymore!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 17, 2016 21:49

Hairball
New single. thumbs up

Bob Dylan - Melancholy Mood

Why?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 17, 2016 22:29

crholmstrom
There was a story in Rolling Stone (with clip) about Bob playing "Freebird" in Berkeley. Pretty funny.

Yeah iirc someone yelled "play some rock'n roll" thru the Juen 9 show and after the last song Bob commanded his band to play/butcher 50 seconds of "Freebird" as a "tip of the hat" (read "a middle-finger salute" ) to the heckler.

I love Bob! >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-19 10:18 by dcba.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 19, 2016 00:20

Yeah dcba! here 'tis:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 19, 2016 00:41

Regardless of Dylan's intention, it was one of the few songs that everyone knew. Every Dylan show from now, hipster boomer ironists will be chanting "Freebird!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-19 00:43 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 19, 2016 01:22

HonkeyTonkFlash
Milan
Hairball

1) "Well....."

If people want to appreciate modern day Bob, they better listen to...
...some Frank Sinatra records.
grinning smiley

Santa Barbara, CA, 6/11/16 [www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 19, 2016 19:21

dcba
"the mighty Rattlesnake label bring us two thrilling, brand new releases :

‘After The Empire’ is a 16 track studio outtakes CD of ideas that were recorded after the ‘Empire Burlesque’ album but were ultimately unreleased. This is made up of mostly new Dylan originals with the exception of one cover version. The running time of the CD is just over 70 minutes.

‘The 1985 Tour Rehearsals’ is two CDs of exactly that. Want to hear Dylan rehearse the Beatles with Tom Petty and The Queens Of Rhythm? Would you like to hear ‘That Lucky Old Sun’ and three versions of ‘Red Cadillac and Black Moustashe’? It’s all here"
[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

[www.expectingrain.com]

Both releases are already on Dime now.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 19, 2016 19:29

I've seen Bob more than 40 times. The last year in which I didn't see him was 1996.

The man works on his own terms without compromise. If you're expecting a hits show, you didn't do your homework. When he's on, which he has been lately, it's a wonderful night out.

Watching the mass exodus a few songs into the show is one of the highlights of the evening. Good riddance to the yo-yos who thought they were getting Bangla Desh Bob.

But at Desert Trip, there's nowhere to go. He's second on the bill. So everyone's going to have to deal with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-20 09:20 by ab.

Date: June 19, 2016 20:12

Cristiano Radtke

Both releases are already on Dime now.

Yeah the rehearsal stuff is a hit-and-miss bag : Bob's lead guitar licks are often errr... experimental! grinning smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 20, 2016 16:30

ab
Watching the mass exodus a few songs into the show is one of the highlights of the evening. Good riddance to the yo-yos who thought they were getting Bangla Desh Bob.

I really do love that about him. That when he's the folk god in 66 he does Like A Rolling Stone on that UK tour and the entire audience boos him. Then when you think he's still doing that by Bangladesh, he's back acoustic! You can't predict his movements, and it became foolish in 1970 to even try.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 20, 2016 17:24

RollingFreak
ab

I really do love that about him. That when he's the folk god in 66 he does Like A Rolling Stone on that UK tour and the entire audience boos him. Then when you think he's still doing that by Bangladesh, he's back acoustic! You can't predict his movements, and it became foolish in 1970 to even try.

Although by 2016, he's become a bit more predictable in that you can be pretty sure his shows will be heavy on post 1997 material. Having said that, given the enormity of Desert Trip compared to his usual gigs, I wouldn't be surprised if he does something different for that gig...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: June 21, 2016 00:03

RollingFreak

All this and more :
I was listening to the bunch of 85 outtakes that recently circulated : they have that "Empire Burlesque" feel (urgh) and I was thinking "one year from this Bob'll be doing this great tour with Petty...three years from this he'll kick the NET, four years from this he'll release "No Mercy".

Yeah You can't predict his movements! thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 22, 2016 00:15

I'm already longing for outtakes-CDs from his 2 latest...

2 1 2 0

Date: June 22, 2016 06:21

DYLAN, CASH, & THE NASHVILLE CATS EXHIBIT: At the County Music Hall of Fame in Nashville A really superior CSPAN report with great pictures and historical narrative. This puts thing in cultural context and it's beautiful and thoroughly important Exhibit and this sensitive and knowing vid seems to capture a lot of it.
[www.c-span.org]

Another page from the cmhall of fame with more vids and detailed descriptions. It's been going on since last year so if someone has posted about this already, please excuse. Bob recorded so much stuff in Nashville during different periods and Cash respected him hugely as we know. Beautiful really. I think the exhibit runs through to the end of the year.
[countrymusichalloffame.org]

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 1, 2016 15:12

I went to see the Man at Artpark in Lewiston, NY last night. I had the lowest expectations going in as the previous 2 times I attended Dylan shows he seemed to be going through the motions - at best.

Much to my surprise, the old master delivered a fine performance last night. I thought the Sinatra songs came off well, and better yet he really nailed tracks from Tempest and Together Through Life.

Perhaps more surprisingly, the performance was well received by the audience. I didn't observe any disgruntled fans the entire night and each song concluded with hearty applause.

Like any Dylan fan, I would love to see him mine his catalogue and play an entire show of album tracks mixed in with some of his better known classics. But I gotta say I really respect that he is willing to go out there and make the statement that he believes in what he is doing now as opposed to resting on what he did several decades ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 15:13 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: July 9, 2016 16:35

People are Crazy & Times are Strange
I'm locked in Tight -- I'm out of Range
I used to Care -- But Things have Changed

Saw Bob Dylan at Forest Hills Stadium in Queens NYC last night (51 years after he last played there, shortly after "turning electric" at the Newport Jazz Festival -- [www.esquire.com]).

Similar to JimmyThe Saint's experience -- I went in with mixed expectations & came away absolutely moved. Many of the songs sent chills up and down my spine. Things Have Changed, Long & Wasted Years, Duquesne Whistle, Blowin' in the Wind were just amazing. And Tangled Up In Blue was simply a stunning and beautiful performance.

Then she opened up a book of poems
And handed it to me
Written by an Italian poet
From the thirteenth century
And everyone of them words rang true
And glowed like burnin' coal
Pourin' off of every page
Like it was written in my soul
From me to you
Tangled up in blue

To those who plan to see him later this year --
Take the time to learn the new songs in his setlist and realize that the few classics he does will be rearranged. Trust me, if you do -- you will be moved by this man.

uomini rispettati Roberto

Date: July 9, 2016 19:38

An interesting review of last night's show:

[hollygleason.squarespace.com]

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 9, 2016 20:09

Queens, New York
Forest Hills Stadium
July 8, 2016

1. Things Have Changed (released 2000)
2. She Belongs To Me (1965)
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (2009)
4. The Night We Called It A Day (2015)
5. Pay In Blood (2012)
6. Melancholy Mood (2016)
7. Duquesne Whistle (2012)
8. That Old Feeling (rumoured to be on the next studio album)
9. Tangled Up In Blue (1975)
(intermission)
10. High Water (2001)
11. Why Try To Change Me Now (2015)
12. Early Roman Kings (2012)
13. I Could Have Told You (rumoured to be on the next studio album)
14. Spirit On The Water (2006)
15. Scarlet Town (2012)
16. All Or Nothing At All (2016)
17. Long And Wasted Years (2012)
18. Autumn Leaves (2015)
encore:
19. Blowin' In The Wind (1963)
20. Love Sick (1997)

I love the fact that he's concentrating on recent material. The vocals are fantastic, the band is super-tight. Highly recommended!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 20:10 by MrEcho.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 9, 2016 21:54

So a casual fan, or even a former hardcore fan that hasn't followed him in awhile, would recognize exactly two songs? I'm glad I saw him when I saw him. Twenty years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 21:55 by tatters.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 9, 2016 22:21

tatters
So a casual fan, or even a former hardcore fan that hasn't followed him in awhile, would recognize exactly two songs? I'm glad I saw him when I saw him. Twenty years ago.

Are you sure a casual or a former hardcore fan would recognize those two songs? smiling smiley

Date: July 9, 2016 22:23

tatters
I'm glad I saw him when I saw him. Twenty years ago.

1996 wasn't a bad year for Bob...

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: July 10, 2016 00:58

I was also at the Forest Hills Stadium show... It was definitely a great concert, but I couldn't help but think that the Desert Trip crowd will not be pleased with the current Dylan setlist.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: July 10, 2016 01:06

Huge Dylan fan here and I have been A concert regular since the late 90's I'm 49 but grew up in the country so didn't get to a lot of concerts when I was young. Anyway I am very worried too about him performing at this festival. I would hope he would change it up from his shows the last few years but I doubt he will. Could get ugly.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: July 10, 2016 02:03

I'm thinking the Desert trip concert will be like the 2 Rome shows in 2013, whereby he drastically changed a version of "the set" / at that time, which was the norm, with a highly varied setlist (for those 2 shows only) & then it was back to the standard "Set". As much as I love Mod Bob, Cowboy-Bluesy Bob & the Sinatra albums, if he plays this standard set at this festival he has the biggest set of balls this world has ever known. hahaha The MEZ

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 10, 2016 04:52

I suppose that on some level, I really admire any artist who plays whatever they want with absolutely no regard for what the audience wants to hear. Personally, I think it would be a lot of fun to be James Taylor, for example, and never play "Fire and Rain." Or maybe just play it very rarely, and only in very out of the way places. Maybe go on 15 minutes early one night and open the show with it while the audience was still filing in.

"C'mon, James! Play Fire and Rain!"

"I played it in Boise 6 years ago! Where the hell were you?"

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-10 07:02 by tatters.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: July 10, 2016 06:03

masseywinos
Huge Dylan fan here and I have been A concert regular since the late 90's I'm 49 but grew up in the country so didn't get to a lot of concerts when I was young. Anyway I am very worried too about him performing at this festival. I would hope he would change it up from his shows the last few years but I doubt he will. Could get ugly.

"Could get ugly"...and just what do you expect to happen - a bunch of geriatrics hurling their diapers on stage?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 10, 2016 06:41

northof49
masseywinos

"Could get ugly"...and just what do you expect to happen - a bunch of geriatrics hurling their diapers on stage?

I don't think it will get ugly. This is not your usual festival audience. I enjoy
Dylan's recent sets (his band is stellar); however, I have never understood the
"I will play what I want to play attitude" towards the fans. Neil Young is even more vocal in this regard and in my opinion gets a little old. They are both
extremely talented and I can't say I ever saw one of their shows which I didn't
like. However, I have heard many fans voice their disappointment in setlists.
Personally I feel their fans deserve a little more respect.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1489
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home