Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 126
Re: Dylan's 'funk band' comment
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 10, 2016 11:27

It's hard to compare because a lot of other things have changed. They don't make great albums anymore either, and I don't think that's because Bill is gone. Mick and Keith have grown apart, they have become mainly a stadium playing band, they don't play regularly together on a one-album-per-year base, Keith has lost a bit of his fluency on the guitar, the role of the keyboards during their gigs is much bigger than before, all of these things have an influence too.
To be honest, I don't pay much attention to the bass normally, but it's true that when I force myself to do it, there are some great bass-lines in early day Stones, although I wouldn't recognize when it's Bill or Keith or Mick T (or Ronnie). Probably there are great bass-lines by Daryl too, but I can rarely be bothered to listen to any entire album post-Undercover.
However, a band is not just "who's best" but also how people work together and the general atmosphere inside the band and I can imagine that Daryl is a lot more pleasant to work with than Bill.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 10, 2016 11:49

I agree with Dylan, but it's not that big problem.
Bill Wyman gave a special swing to the Stones' sound, and it was part of the Stones magic.
Darryl is an absolute professional musician he can play anything they want so this is very comfortable for them especially on these modern era tours.
And yes he tends to play a bit funky and that's a bit different from the original concept.
But most people don't care.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 10, 2016 13:21

DandelionPowderman
He probably meant that the swing/rockabilly/walking bass/wobble-timed Bill-sound was gone when he left.

That's exactly it.

Bill was part of the unique timing recipe with Charlie & Keith.

It still survives to some degree with Darryl but its not quite the same.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 10, 2016 21:40

Bill Wyman gave a special swing to the Stones' sound, and it was part of the Stones magic.
Darryl is an absolute professional musician he can play anything they want so this is very comfortable for them especially on these modern era tours.
And yes he tends to play a bit funky and that's a bit different from the original concept.

That's so true. But this is a forum for hard core fans, and many of them do have ears sensitive to the bass. I don't care if Darryl plays funky, I just want the bass to be a memorable part of the over all sound, instead of just background noodling that doesn't engage the listener. And yes, it makes not much of a difference if you're listening to it live. But those DVDs we've been treated to the last few years show how great Bill really was. And likewise, the DVDs of post-Wyman concerts show how meaningless the bass has become in the Stones' rhythm section.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 10, 2016 22:38

I cant agree Darryl's playing is 'meaningless' in the Stones' rhythm section.

he just holds it down, really well, and most people don't care, true. because he's doing a good job ( backing vocals too, on some songs)...

pretty much what you'd need from a reliable touring bassist.

my thing about Bob Dylan saying the Stones are a funk band without Bill is

that they were one with him, too...and so much more..and with Darryl, I wouldn't really call them a funk band. Bob Dylan said this, but it isn't really the case..

but my God the recent DVDs really show how distinctive Bill's playing was!

couldn't agree more with you there.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 10, 2016 23:11

I prefer much more Bill's touch.. Yes, playing around the beat, rather than hitting every half or quarter of beat...

Now, what if this was increased because Darryl is kind of commissioned to do it?

Like "we want Darryl's to play every bit of beat on stage, because the guitar players get looser, decade passing, and Darryl hitting every half or quarter of beat is a safe "wall of sound"

I mean, when you listen to Sympathy for the Devil live 1969 versus 2016, you think, what the fuuuck happened to that swinging drum-bass combo - it has become a war machine to dance in a stadium

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 11, 2016 02:58

24FPS

That's so true. But this is a forum for hard core fans, and many of them do have ears sensitive to the bass. I don't care if Darryl plays funky, I just want the bass to be a memorable part of the over all sound, instead of just background noodling that doesn't engage the listener. And yes, it makes not much of a difference if you're listening to it live. But those DVDs we've been treated to the last few years show how great Bill really was. And likewise, the DVDs of post-Wyman concerts show how meaningless the bass has become in the Stones' rhythm section.

Hmmm 24FPS...I seem to recall you taking issue with a comment I recently made saying Darryl's bass playing was adequate (or sufficient) as if I was making a disparaging remark about him - I wasn't.
Yet here you are saying "Darryl just appears to be someone the end stage Stones are comfortable with". You also say Darryl's bass playing could be "anybody" and that it's "meaningless".

Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering where you really stand. One moment you seemed to stand in his defense, and now you're throwing him in the gutter.
I say he's adequate (or sufficient), and you say he could be anybody and is meaningless?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-11 03:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: March 11, 2016 03:26

Dylan's right if you ask me. But we've been through this topic before I am sure and it always ends up where Darryl's defenders say 'well he played for Miles Davis" etc. in defense of any kind of defense of Bill, whom I prefer. His bass playing was the best for the band. It wasn't too polished and he was literally one of the boys and they had musical chemistry for a variety of reasons.

Date: March 11, 2016 05:53

Hairball
24FPS

Hmmm 24FPS...I seem to recall you taking issue with a comment I recently made saying Darryl's bass playing was adequate (or sufficient) as if I was making a disparaging remark about him - I wasn't.
Yet here you are saying "Darryl just appears to be someone the end stage Stones are comfortable with". You also say Darryl's bass playing could be "anybody" and that it's "meaningless".

Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering where you really stand. One moment you seemed to stand in his defense, and now you're throwing him in the gutter.
I say he's adequate (or sufficient), and you say he could be anybody and is meaningless?

I don't understand the conflict you're saying I have. I've never cared for Darryl's playing with the Stones, although to be totally fair he did okay on Voodoo Lounge. After that he melted into nothingness, a non-entity within a band of distinct players.

Where I really stand is that the Stones were, and I guess still are for lack of competitors, the greatest rock and roll band in the world. It's no coincidence that two of my favorite bands, the Beatles and the Stones, have exemplary bass players. Darryl Jones is not in their class. Maybe he can read music, maybe he can play with Miles Davis, but he's not distinctive. Within the first few notes of hearing 'Plundered My Soul' in the summer of 2010, I knew that was Bill on bass and that he was influencing, and improving the sound of the Stones.

If Darryl was a great bass player, as many have asserted, we would be saying, "Oh yeah, Darryl's bass playing on INSERT NEWER STONES STONG is really good." Or, Darryl really took control of the melody and gave a nice pocket for Keith and Ronnie to work out of." But we don't. There's never been a thread that I know of extolling Darryl's bass playing for the Stones.

When I agree that Darryl is adequate for the Stones, you're damn straight I don't mean it as a compliment. There's probably a thousand bass players out there that could fill that roll, put down a thudding beat so the bottom doesn't fall out of the band. But my ears pick up the bass, and what it does. MCartney was a brilliant melodist, although he did get over busy at times. Bill gave the Stones music a spine, that was also listenable. Chuck used to be better, but he's just adequate now too. Do you thrill when you hear him do Nicky's part on She's A Rainbow? No, you think well, that was adequate. At least Chuck gets it near the original. I don't think Darryl gives a damn about Stones music. It's just a job.

Date: March 11, 2016 06:43

24FPS
Hairball
24FPS

I don't understand the conflict you're saying I have. I've never cared for Darryl's playing with the Stones, although to be totally fair he did okay on Voodoo Lounge. After that he melted into nothingness, a non-entity within a band of distinct players.

Where I really stand is that the Stones were, and I guess still are for lack of competitors, the greatest rock and roll band in the world. It's no coincidence that two of my favorite bands, the Beatles and the Stones, have exemplary bass players. Darryl Jones is not in their class. Maybe he can read music, maybe he can play with Miles Davis, but he's not distinctive. Within the first few notes of hearing 'Plundered My Soul' in the summer of 2010, I knew that was Bill on bass and that he was influencing, and improving the sound of the Stones.

If Darryl was a great bass player, as many have asserted, we would be saying, "Oh yeah, Darryl's bass playing on INSERT NEWER STONES STONG is really good." Or, Darryl really took control of the melody and gave a nice pocket for Keith and Ronnie to work out of." But we don't. There's never been a thread that I know of extolling Darryl's bass playing for the Stones.

When I agree that Darryl is adequate for the Stones, you're damn straight I don't mean it as a compliment. There's probably a thousand bass players out there that could fill that roll, put down a thudding beat so the bottom doesn't fall out of the band. But my ears pick up the bass, and what it does. MCartney was a brilliant melodist, although he did get over busy at times. Bill gave the Stones music a spine, that was also listenable. Chuck used to be better, but he's just adequate now too. Do you thrill when you hear him do Nicky's part on She's A Rainbow? No, you think well, that was adequate. At least Chuck gets it near the original. I don't think Darryl gives a damn about Stones music. It's just a job.

Alright, that's quite the explanation you've given - I think we may have our wires crossed.

When I originally called him 'adequate' it wasn't meant as an insult, nor was it intended as a compliment or giving him more praise than necessary.To clarify again what I meant by adequate regarding his playing with the Stones: he fills the role and does what's minimally necessary. Average and anonymous without any personal stamp. Generic. Not great. Not horrible. He's just there. I think we somewhat agree with all that.
I suppose my question as to where you stand had more to do with you singling me out for calling him adequate as if I was trashing him. At the time, it seemed you were criticizing my opinion and defending him as something much greater than adequate. But again, perhaps there was a misunderstanding and/or I misinterpreted your post.

Bottom line: Stones fans are stuck with Darryl Jones - like it or not.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:14

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
24FPS

Alright, that's quite the explanation you've given - I think we may have our wires crossed.

When I originally called him 'adequate' it wasn't meant as an insult, nor was it intended as a compliment or giving him more praise than necessary.To clarify again what I meant by adequate regarding his playing with the Stones: he fills the role and does what's minimally necessary. Average and anonymous without any personal stamp. Generic. Not great. Not horrible. He's just there. I think we somewhat agree with all that.
I suppose my question as to where you stand had more to do with you singling me out for calling him adequate as if I was trashing him. At the time, it seemed you were criticizing my opinion and defending him as something much greater than adequate. But again, perhaps there was a misunderstanding and/or I misinterpreted your post.

thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:16

Like thumbs up I have been on more Stones-Concerts with Daryll that with Bill...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:46

Sorry, but I don't miss Bill. Darryl does fine job IMO. And the whole "funk band comment" sounds like another inanity, spoken by another celebrity, in my ears. Nothing less, nothing more.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 11, 2016 16:54

I cut this from the '1970 photos' thread

great shot of Bill, and another Mustang bass ...usually see him with the blue one, but this one is new to me..

and the strap lock at the lower part of the cutaway on the body of it is unusual.

badass.

Date: March 11, 2016 20:06

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
24FPS

I was never criticizing you personally. I only lash out at ideas. Black and white print does not allow for shading of nuance. I like to debate, sue me. Bill comes from the very guts of rock and roll, 1950s standup bass, translated onto a fretless, electric model, without losing the soul. Like Brian could enervate old blues solos without losing the guts. Or Keith expanding on a Chuck Berry line. Darryl is not from that world, and probably doesn't even understand it. He's a 70s jazz rocker who would have fit in with Herbie Hancock's Headhunters. Bill could have planted the rhythm for Gene Vincent's Blue Caps.

Cheers, Hairball. smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 11, 2016 20:31

Of course Dylan was on the spot. Jones was the wrong choice. Simple as that. Nothing to discuss really. Jones may be the best bass guitarist in the world technically but he's no rock and roll bassist.
And will never be. He has played with the Stones now for more than two decades (twice as long as Brian and Taylor combined) but he's still not a rock and roll bassist.
He hasn't added anything to the band, rather taken away from it. But that's not a fault of his.

Date: March 11, 2016 21:49

24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
24FPS

I was never criticizing you personally. I only lash out at ideas. Black and white print does not allow for shading of nuance. I like to debate, sue me. Bill comes from the very guts of rock and roll, 1950s standup bass, translated onto a fretless, electric model, without losing the soul. Like Brian could enervate old blues solos without losing the guts. Or Keith expanding on a Chuck Berry line. Darryl is not from that world, and probably doesn't even understand it. He's a 70s jazz rocker who would have fit in with Herbie Hancock's Headhunters. Bill could have planted the rhythm for Gene Vincent's Blue Caps.

Cheers, Hairball. smileys with beer

Cheers, smileys with beer

I'm not one to dig up old threads, but my curiosity got the better of me and I found our past interaction in the 'Please Quit Dissin' Daryl' (I still laugh at the title of that thread lol).

24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
Bill is missed and always will be, but Daryl is adequate and Charlie likes him.

The very definition of damning with faint praise.

If that's the way you interpret it, but it wasn't meant to be 'damning'.
He fills the role and seems to do it very well.

If the best adjective you can describe Darryl's bass playing with the Stones is adequate, I guess we should just give up and never expect excellence on the low end for the rest of the band's existence.

Looks like I was being nice by saying he "He fills the role and seems to do it very well", but I didn't want to 'dis' Darryl too much in that particular thread.
And after reading your replies, it did come across as you defending him and taking issue with me calling him 'adequate'. I assumed you were conveying that he had some excellent bass playing qualities with the Stones, and he didn't deserve to be call just adequate, but perhaps I was just being defensive of my opinion. Has Darryl ever exhibited excellence on the low end while playing with the Stones? When compared to the incomparable quality of Bill's style of playing with the band, I would say no. Adequate comes to mind. He fills the role and does a sufficient job, but he's no Bill Wyman.

And for the record if anyone is unclear - yes he is a great jazz/funk bass player, and indeed he played with Miles Davis. He is definitely great in that capacity, but not so much with the Stones.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 22:46

It's entirely possible that Darryl is doing what his bosses ask of him. I was with him at a Big Audio Dynamite reunion show in 2011 and he was digging the hell out of Leo Williams' bass playing, which is very reggae influenced. We know pretty much for certain that his number one brief is to hold things down so no oversized, overpriced stadium show goes off the rails. That's what all of the non-core musicians are there for.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: March 11, 2016 22:57

DandelionPowderman
He probably meant that the swing/rockabilly/walking bass/wobble-timed Bill-sound was gone when he left.

Yes.And since then it's largely been one big meh for me sad smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 12, 2016 02:24

Rockman
What is this discussion about?

Yeah like really what is any discussion about .... ???????

Whoa, Rocky, you sound angry, which I've never heard before. Mostly what I have heard has been humorous.

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 12, 2016 04:26

All is okay Tim ... was only foolin' ...I'm a gentle soul you know that ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 15:51

KRiffhard
"I'm not saying they don't keep going, but they need Bill," he said. "Without him they're a funk band. They'll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back." BD

You're right Bob.

Bob is considered a songwriting genius, a poet by many. I don't think he knows a thing about funk or funky music. The Stones, even with they try to cover a soul song, sound anything but funky....no matter who plays bass.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 12, 2016 20:38

I don't think he knows a thing about funk or funky music

funk well once upon a time he caught a dime from the ones who dressed
so fine but as for funky music he preferred to sway to the tunes of the old song & dance men ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 12, 2016 21:17

Dylan has earned his place in American music, but I wouldn't say he knows much of anything about funk. As for Bill and Daryl...well, time marches on and even if Bill were to return, whose to say that he bring the same touch? Daryl is a good fit for where they are now.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 12, 2016 21:35

"Bob is considered a songwriting genius, a poet by many. I don't think he knows a thing about funk or funky music. The Stones, even with they try to cover a soul song, sound anything but funky....no matter who plays bass".

Exactly, buffulo7478!

OT: Bob Dylan Santa Barbara 2016
Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: March 12, 2016 22:18

I just pulled a 11th row center ticket for Dylan at Santa barbara bowl!
So excited I had to tell everyone.
ASX had a 'waiting room' and when my turn came I pulled that ticket.I think they screwed up because after fees it was $144....tickets in that section are "golden circle" with heavy extra fees,but my recipt is $144.
Yay Zimmy!

Re: OT: Bob Dylan Santa Barbara 2016
Date: March 13, 2016 00:00

Awesome. thumbs up

Came in late to the purchase party (forgot they went on sale this morning), and just checked in AXS after seeing your post.
After several attempts pulled a row two left of center section at $144.

The Never Ending tour continues on...yippee!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 13, 2016 00:14

Thats incredible! Hope its awesome! Love when you get lucky like that.

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: March 13, 2016 00:20

Cheers!
see you there
don't be late winking smiley

Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: March 13, 2016 17:39

Thought just for kicks I would check...

Nailed 3rd row center on the aisle for Dylan at the Santa Barbara Bowl!

Now I have a floor Springsteen for next week and a 9th row Simon ticket for the Bowl too!

Just lucked out on this Dylan ticket! "Lucky Me" indeed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home