Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: December 13, 2015 14:56

sdstonesguy
Sure wish those live recordings somehow ended up in my Dropbox at sdstonesguy@yahoo.com

I love this board.
Sent

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 13, 2015 19:13

It would be a VERY nice surprise to find a link in my mail

midimannz@gmail.com

Aa always, appreciated sir

Posted by: alba61 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 19:38

Yes, what a Christmas Gift it'd be to find in my Dropbox also....or a link for that or a WeTransfer way, or...your choice

my mail alba61@fastwebnet.it

a great thank you in advance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-13 19:39 by alba61.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 13, 2015 20:32

Would really appreciate it if there's any possibility to get the live recordings.

Merry christmas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-14 23:27 by bobo.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: December 13, 2015 20:36

MEZ would be so appreciative as well for the live portion. Here's to hoping: lynnjf@comcast.net. I did purchase the best of 2 disc Cutting Edge and liked it so much that I splurged for the deluxe edition (6 disc set). I cannot afford the 18 disc set with the live bonus stuff. Thanks if possible! MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-13 20:41 by The Mez.

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 23:59

The more classic live the better. I couldn't afford the super deluxe but did get both the 6-cd and 2-cd for myself and a few of the 2-cd for Christmas presents.

Pre-thanks from schleisher@verizon.net

Bring on the Bob!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 14, 2015 00:15

[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 14, 2015 06:11

I'll add my name to the list of people who would like the Live material please. tridum@yahoo.com
I have the 6-CD version and I like listening to it. What makes it amazing is that at the time the Beatles were multi-tracking, Dylan is going in there and doing live takes!

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: December 14, 2015 07:07

Thank you so much!!!! Best present ever MEZ

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 14, 2015 15:40

bobo
Would really appreciate it if there's any possibility to get the live recordings.

My mail: Paperback71@hotmail.com

Merry christmas

Thanks a lot for the links, guys. You know who you aresmileys with beer

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: December 14, 2015 21:40

If this offer is still valid, I'd very much appreciate it.

rbarnes00@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 15, 2015 00:12

Does anyone know what the best of that 1965 live stuff is? I notice its mostly the same sets for all the concerts. Can anyone pick out the essentials from it? Maybe the best solo concert in there and the best band one, sound and playing wise? Just curious, as it all seems like it would be pretty similar.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 15, 2015 11:30

RollingFreak
Does anyone know what the best of that 1965 live stuff is?

I´d like to know the 3 best sounding soundboards. Thanks in advance.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 15, 2015 21:34

Completely OT to the conversation going on here but didn't want to start another thread. Pretty big Dylan fan here (not in the same league as some of you though). One of my favorite Dylan songs (mid career anyway) is Brownsville Girl. Lyrics, music, just really like this song. Any other fans of this tune? Don't hear it mentioned often.

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: December 16, 2015 06:25

Live recordings!!!!!!!! Yes pls, this place is the best!!
marqdesouza@gmail.com

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 16, 2015 09:20

- deleted -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 17:26 by slewan.

OT: What is Clinton Heylin's problem with post-'97 Dylan?
Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 00:09

Odds are that if you're a fan of Bob Dylan and/or scholarship about him, you're well aware of the works of author Clinton Heylin, especially his biography Behind The Shades, which first came out in 1991, and had 10th and 20th anniversary updates. He's renowned for examining every era of Dylan's life and career with equal time, and bringing facts to life in a special way, including reassessing material that was initially dismissed, such as John Wesley Harding. BTS is considered one of the essential books necessary to understand Dylan.

However, the book, and Heylin himself, is not without fault. Heylin spends a great deal of time attacking any and all authors who've written about Dylan before or since, with incredibly personal and petty vendettas that he expresses in his print. He makes certain ridiculous generalizations about meanings and inspirations for songs that clearly come out of nowhere, and also often tars entire works without looking at them. When he discusses Blood On The Tracks, he completely dismisses the Minneapolis re-recordings, especially Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts, which was an incredibly boring and dragging dirge in the original New York Version, and a lively shuffle in the album version. He's not content with simply noting the more raw emotion in the NY versions, especially with Idiot Wind, but even attacking the tempos, which were utterly superior. When talking about the time with the Grateful Dead, Heylin gives a very snobbish attack on them, saying they were never worth anything at all to music history, and their followers as drug-addled losers and the dregs of society. He sneers particularly at Jerry Garcia, describing him as "struggling to put down a sandwich to solo."

But the biggest problem Heylin has is his utter lack of respect of any kind for Dylan's late-career renaissance. He attacks Time Out Of Mind for Daniel Lanois' production, but even goes so far as to refer to the songs as "anodyne" and "middle of the road." He does correctly note how the presence of outtakes like "Red River Shore", "Dreamin' Of You" and "Marchin' To The City" would have made it even better, but has nothing good to say about the songs that made it. But when you think it couldn't get any worse, it does. From Love And Theft on, he viciously attacks Dylan's lyrics, melodies and decision to self-produce with his road band in the studio, as well as bizarrely attacking his history of lifting older tunes and words from various sources into his songs, including the whole "Confessions of a Yakuza"/Henry Timrod kerfuffle. Seriously, Dylan has done this from the start, why attack him for this NOW? The only late period song he thinks is worth anything is "Nettie Moore", but the fact that he dismisses it so much is baffling. Odds are that his 30th anniversary update will include attacks on Tempest for "Early Roman Kings" using the tune of "Mannish Boy" or the lyrics of the title track "not being accurate" (since when has that stopped the song from being good before? Hattie Carroll or Hurricane, anyone?)

So simply, I ask you all...what the @#$%& is Clinton Heylin's problem?

Re: OT: What is Clinton Heylin's problem with post-'97 Dylan?
Date: December 18, 2015 01:12

I wouldn't put too much creedence into it. I found his Dylan books alright, but almost could not finish his Van Morrison book for many of the same reasons you stated. Continual attacking of other authors, general snobbishness, etc.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: December 18, 2015 01:37

Heylin's Dylan books "Stolen Moments" (1988) and "Behind The Shades" (1st edition, 1991) were important books at the time, simply because Heylin had access to information that was hard to come by back then. In his later books (e.g. "Behind The Shades – Take Two", 2000) Heylin is far to full of himself, constantly second-guessing Dylan's artistic decisions, passing rumours on as fact and making up stories based on flimsy research or guess-work. I loved Heylin's early books, but I stopped taking him seriously after reading "Behind The Shades – Take Two". I do not know what his problem is. Maybe Dylan is everything Heylin would like to be? I think Michael Gray has the same problem.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: December 18, 2015 16:32

I met Clinton Heylin in 1995. I was in a conversation in which I corrected him about something and he was so visibly upset that he put his arm in front of me to block me out of the conversation because I had wounded his pride so totally by making a factual correction. That is all you need to know about Clinton Heylin. He was probably beaten up too much as a kid. But incredibly thin-skinned and that is why he attacks all of the other writers. He is also deliberately contrarian and so if the general consensus is that Dylan has had an exceptional Third Act in his career, then he will not take that position.

Date: December 18, 2015 16:39

That explains a lot about him.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 18, 2015 17:11

Who is Clinton Heylin ?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:12

Koen
Who is Clinton Heylin ?

Yeah - who the f*ck is Clinton Heylin?

I've been listening to and enjoying Dylan my entire life, and one of the many things gleaned from his music is:

"You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows..."

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:45

He wrote a great book about the bootleg "industry" since 1969 but his bias was obvious : bootleggers = GOOD! Record labels = BAD

It's not that simple, Mr Heylin... grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 21, 2015 19:18

New Japan tour pretty much official.
Around a dozen or so dates confirmed for April 2016.
No doubt more concerts in that part of the world will be announced soon.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 22, 2015 01:34

jlowe
New Japan tour pretty much official.
Around a dozen or so dates confirmed for April 2016.
No doubt more concerts in that part of the world will be announced soon.

We had a full-page advertisement of the tour in the daily leading news paper.
That could be an incredible tour.
Some dates are overlapped with Clapton's final Budokan shows in Tokyo.smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 02:08

Toru,
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you point me in the right direction to order vinyl printed in Japan?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 22, 2015 05:00

whitem8
Toru,
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you point me in the right direction to order vinyl printed in Japan?

whitem8,

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

[www.hmv.co.jp]

Please search and choose "domestic".
Hope this helps.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 25, 2015 23:06

Apr 04, 2016 Tokyo, Japan Orchard Hall
Apr 05, 2016 Tokyo, Japan Orchard Hall
Apr 06, 2016 Tokyo, Japan Orchard Hall
Apr 09, 2016 Miyagi, Japan Tokyo Electron Hall Miyagi
Apr 11, 2016 Osaka, Japan Festival Hall
Apr 12, 2016 Osaka, Japan Festival Hall
Apr 15, 2016 Nagoya, Japan Century Hall
Apr 18, 2016 Tokyo, Japan Orchard Hall
Apr 19, 2016 Tokyo, Japan Orchard Hall
Apr 25, 2016 Tokyo, Japan Orchard Hall
Apr 26, 2016 Tokyo, Japan Orchard Hall
Apr 28, 2016 Yokohama, Japan Pacifico-Yokohama

[www.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 26, 2015 18:48

dcba
He wrote a great book about the bootleg "industry" since 1969 but his bias was obvious : bootleggers = GOOD! Record labels = BAD

It's not that simple, Mr Heylin... grinning smiley

True, but who's done the better job of presenting Jones-era Stones outtakes and radio sessions !

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1274
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home