Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 14, 2015 17:13

whitem8
For those of you who like to collect Dylan vinyl, I highly recommend Side Tracks. A great three album set compiling the unreleased songs, alternate mixes and B sides from Greatest hits 1-3 and Biograph. A limited edition release, it is beautifully packaged, pressed on 200 gram vinyl, and sounds stellar. And very reasonably priced.

but it doesn't feature any recording that hasn't been released before.
A CD version of side tracks is included in the complete recordings box

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 15, 2015 13:54

No but it is a great album. Very high quality. And collects a lot of stuff I needed because I don't get his greatest hits albums or Biograph. Great triple album with nice liner notes and a gatefold cover. And limited edition. For those who like to collect nice vinyl.

Great listening to these songs pulled from greatest hits before or after more rarer songs. It gives these songs a chance to be taken in a different context and better appreciated rather than being sandwhiched between well known hits. Love it!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 15, 2015 17:30

whitem8
For those of you who like to collect Dylan vinyl, I highly recommend Side Tracks. A great three album set compiling the unreleased songs, alternate mixes and B sides from Greatest hits 1-3 and Biograph. A limited edition release, it is beautifully packaged, pressed on 200 gram vinyl, and sounds stellar. And very reasonably priced.

Although there's no "new" songs on this compilation, it is indeed a nice record. thumbs up

I remember that some years ago there was a website which has compiled all of his non-LP tracks (songs released on soundtracks, B-sides and even those songs posted on his website and unavailable since ages) on 11+ CDs. I think that would be a really wonderful addition to his complete discography box-set, released last year. It's a shame this is unlikely to be released officially.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 02:05

It is released officially, this isn't a boot. As I said, a very high quality release on 200 gram vinyl, great sound/mastering.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 16, 2015 09:32

whitem8
It is released officially, this isn't a boot. As I said, a very high quality release on 200 gram vinyl, great sound/mastering.

200 gr vinyl...Soon we're back to the ' Stone cake ' again.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 23, 2015 00:48

Just seen that Bob has announced some European dates for this summer.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 23, 2015 10:01

June/July: 14 dates so far, though not confirmed officially as yet.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 21, 2015 10:55

The concert in Mainz last night had some setlist changes. Dylan played Full Moon and Empty Arms, which worked extremely well live, Till I Fell in Love with You was Great. Almost amusing was a Country Version of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, the song got a completely different character. All in all a good concert, Dylan seems to be in good shape.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 21, 2015 11:53

Me I'm looking forward to the next Bootleg Series which might cover the "Born Again" 1979-1980 years! smileys with beer

OT Bob Dylan "Bootleg Series 12" may be 18 CD set
Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:01

From "Isis" (the Dylan magazine).

[www.bobdylanisis.com]

"I’ve heard from several sources that the next “Bootleg Series” release will be a little different from the norm and that you may need to start saving for it now. Although there is no official confirmation of the rumour, we are hearing that there might be a 2-CD release, a 6-CD Box set, and a huge boxed release covering all of the studio sessions from 1965 and 1966. There is talk that this release might run to 18 discs!!! If only studio material is to be included, then 18 discs seems a lot. ISIS tends not to speculate too much on these releases but we have heard this from three sources, all of which are usually reliable."

Re: OT Bob Dylan "Bootleg Series 12" may be 18 CD set
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:28

Thanks for the info.
Beside the cash...I ask myself when will I have time to wade through 18 CD's...
Reminds me of the Grateful Dead and their 30 somewhat career spanning live CD set if I remember correctly...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2015 23:18

18 cd's of studio sessions from 1965 and 1966?!!! eye popping smiley

Might include multiple takes, versions, demo's, etc. of the same song.
If that's the case, I'd happily settle for the 6 disc set of this, but was really hoping that a Blood On The Tracks 'Bootleg Series' would be next.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 23:20

am i the only one who keeps waiting for the "and more" promised in the subject line to this topic?

OT: Dylan & The Band - Before The Flood
Posted by: FP ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:23

I don't know how this album passed me by, maybe because it has always had mixed reviews, but it is brilliant.

Having seen Dylan live and not recognised any of the songs while he was dressed as a matador and singing like a 1000 year old man this album is a refreshing reminder of a time when Dylan sang with passion, reinvented songs in meaningful ways and actually seemed committed to rock and roll.

Maybe he was forced to put something into it by the brilliance of the support the Band gave him but it makes one wish he had had them on hand in the 80's and beyond.

I have read the tour was designed as a pure money spinner but then what rock tour isn't meant to make money? They play with excitment and sound like they are having fun.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 19:24 by FP.

Re: OT: Dylan & The Band - Before The Flood
Date: September 4, 2015 19:26

One of my favorite live albums from all time. It's a shame there's not much footage from the concerts and what's available comes from poor quality audience recordings made with a super-8 or something like that.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:31

I remember returning to my local record store two or three times to see whether the album had arrived yet. I snatched it up right away.

I didn't care for this record, however. It shows what's wrong with arena rock -- how performers have to speed up their songs and make their songs heavy for the large venues.

Way too heavy-handed in my humble opinion.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:31

An expanded edition would make a nice "Bootleg Series" volume.

Just sayin'...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:45

The best version of "All Along the Watchtower" resides on this album.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:29

Great album.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:32

I really enjoy this album, especially its version of Don't Think Twice, It's All Right.

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:45

Saw that tour in DC and Phillie. Long time gone.
Here's Seattle except I can't get the link to work.
http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2451]]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 20:47 by rowley.

Date: September 4, 2015 20:56

rowley
Saw that tour in DC and Phillie. Long time gone.
Here's Seattle except I can't get the link to work.
http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2451]]

Thank you! smileys with beer [bigozine2.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 4, 2015 21:15

sorry folks – that album is shit. Bob has completely forgotten how to sing and therefore shouts instead. And – by the way – the most interesting performances of that tour are not on the album since he dropped them for the setlist before Before The Flood was recorded (for example: Wedding Song, Hero Blues, Nobody 'cept you)

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: September 4, 2015 21:44

The next tour ruled, though.

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:05

I would not go so far as to call it shite. In fact, the Seattle bootleg brought back more of the actual feeling of the concert for me than Before the Flood. (Hey, Robbie, wanna do any overdubs on this? SURE!) But seeing Dylan for the first time, it was baffling. I would not hear the Albert Hall bootleg until that summer and then I understood a little better. Always felt Dylan was trying to recreate that sound in 74 but as he himself said he pushed it too hard. Ballad of a Thin Man was fantastic though and both times Like a Rolling Stone sent shivers up my spine.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 4, 2015 23:42

Before The Flood was the first Bob Dylan record in my house when I was growing up and I've been with Bob ever since. But I learned some of his most famous songs from this record so imagine my surprise when hearing for example the original of Most Likely You Go Your Way. Always liked the version of Highway 61 but generally prefer the earlier slower shows particularly Toronto on January 10th. Dylan does shout a lot on this tour and he has adopted other arena voices in 1984 and 1986. But I agree that when you are being backed up by The Band you're going to sound pretty good. Knocking On Heaven's Door and All Along The Watchtower are out of their concert sequence on the album. The big song missing is Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues which was played at all or nearly all shows on this tour

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 23:48

Chris Fountain
The best version of "All Along the Watchtower" resides on this album.

you are aware that jimi hendrix recorded this song, correct?

Date: September 5, 2015 00:16

stewedandkeefed
The big song missing is Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues which was played at all or nearly all shows on this tour

Indeed!

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: September 5, 2015 00:47

I bought this album the evening after I saw the last waltz. I love it

there are a fair number of soundboard tapes from that tour that circulate

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 5, 2015 01:51

I have this on vinyl from when it first came out. I think I played it twice and was not impressed either time. A waste of both Dylan and the Band. The big thing for it at the time was that it was Dylan on the comeback trail with what was one of the best bands that ever backed him in a previous incarnation (the Band, not Dylan, who's still today doing (re)incarnations of who and what Bob Dylan is).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home