Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 126
Re: OT Dylan 2014 and NEW ALBUM 2015
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 4, 2015 08:32

....Geeeeez stonehearted....too much detail

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 4, 2015 08:57

Sorry, Rockie--I wish I'd forgotten those details, but the word whiskey makes me queasy and gives me flashbacks.

Date: February 4, 2015 09:05

....Hope you've had a good shower since ....haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 4, 2015 09:05

2 L bourbon and 8 beers...after such a night my writing here would be over...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 4, 2015 09:19

Rockman, thanks for all the newspaper !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-04 09:20 by novica.

Date: February 4, 2015 09:25

Cool novica....any time

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 4, 2015 15:48

Come On
2 L bourbon and 8 beers...after such a night my writing here would be over...grinning smiley

That would be .2 L bourbon

Just enough to do a helluva lot of damage.

Posted by: FeelTheFire ()
Date: February 6, 2015 07:25

What a great album, absolutely love it!

Dylan continues to surprise us. It is a shame that the Stones have only released 1 album in the time Dylan has released 7.

Date: February 6, 2015 22:21

ROCKMAN

Date: February 6, 2015 22:33

Interesting Rockman...that would have been the review I would have imagined when the subject of this album first came up, but then it got some great reviews and IORR contributor's seem to love it.

I haven't bought it yet, I was gung ho but didn't have a chance...now I think I'll listen to a couple of cuts first before taking the plunge. Don't need another album I'll never listen to...I have lots of those already!

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: February 6, 2015 23:37

I like it. Strictly for late night listening, as one would expect from this set.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: February 7, 2015 06:35

yep, drink of scotch,late night playing on the record player. No complaints here.

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: February 7, 2015 06:59

Yeah I've been listening to this the last couple days…I was a little worried back in the spring when the rumors were going around about Dylan doing the ol' American Songbook thing but Its really good..blows McCartney's piece of shit out of the water and I'm not even gonna mention Rod Stewert…Dylan's band is fantastic especially Donnie Herron…thats some of the tasteful pedal steel guitar playing I've heard…kinda fills in for the strings that usually accompany these songs…Tony Garnier plays his bass with a bow some songs and there are very tasteful trumpets and french horns that pass through a few songs like a fog...and no shit, its the clearest Dylan vocals since "Desire" i'd have to say…Dylan really hits the melodic "sweet spots" on these songs…I'm hearing it will be his 8th number 1 in the UK…it should win a grammy in in one of these crazy zillion categories they got now…highly recommended...

OT - Bob Dylan's doing something completely unexpected
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 7, 2015 19:07

Last night Bob Dylan was honored Musicares Person of the year and he did the most unexpected thing for him to do - he actually gave a speech, not tow minutes, not five minutes, not ten, but some 30-40 minutes long – talking about his music, music in general, his critics etc etc.
See reports:
[www.startribune.com]
[entertainthis.usatoday.com]
[www.tennessean.com]

short clip: [igcdn-videos-a-12-a.akamaihd.net]

Re: OT - Bob Dylan's doing something completely unexpected
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 7, 2015 19:47

And he ended with...
"Jean Cocteau said "Americans are funny people : first you shock them then they put you in a museum".
No that's Mick at the R'r'Roll Hall Of Fame in 1989.

Date: February 7, 2015 20:00

another clip: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 7, 2015 20:06

And here is a great interview with him (billed as a UK exclusive) about his new album:

[www.independent.co.uk]

Date: February 7, 2015 21:06

Beast
And here is a great interview with him (billed as a UK exclusive) about his new album:

[www.independent.co.uk]

definitely not exclusive – for the full interviews published last week in the US see: [www.aarp.org]

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 7, 2015 21:31

More pics and videos at dirty rock magazine
[www.dirtyrock.info]
Carlos

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 8, 2015 01:11

For those interested, here's the full transcript of his speech:

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 8, 2015 12:14

Thx for the link but it's pretty disappointing. And the bouts of ranting are soporific.

You're wrong Bob : Billy Lee Riley wasn't as good as JL Lewis.

So even if "Red Hot" was showing a lot of promise as a big hit record, but Sam Phillips pulled the promotion and switched it to "Great Balls Of Fire" by Jerry Lee Lewis" he trusted his guts and he was right.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 8, 2015 17:25

stonehearted
<<My living room instantly became quaffed up roulette room with smoke and whisky. Sinatra. Ole' Blue Eyes.>>

Ugh. Whiskey. Last time I had whiskey, I bought a 200 mL bottle of bourbon, to go with the 8 beers I would be drinking that evening. I mean, the bottle looked small enough, so what the hell?

By the time I was finished with the beer and the bourbon, when I attempted to stand up, I just fell forward into my DVD collection, and it took some effort to get back up on my feet again. Then I had to go to the bathroom--I mean, I couldn't control it. I couldn't even summon the muscular coordination to undo my fly and I wound up pissing my pants. Not certain, but I think I may have shit myself as well, just a pure liquid gush of brown trouser time. When I woke the next morning, I discovered there was a trail of puke stains leading from the garbage container to my pillow--and that part I don't even remember!

Give me lager and Stones any day--or, preferably, night. That old school steak, bourbon, and cigars set, I don't know how they could stand it.

Fully agree with that last statement.
I got the Dylan record because people here were enthusiastic.
I didn't fall over into a DVD collection but hey I just can't dig it either.
Tempest was nice, but this ...
Also the basement tapes 6CD set was a bit of a disappointment. I prefer the old 2LP set.
Let's hope he does another album with original material. That would be nice.

YouTube Question
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 8, 2015 15:25

In recent times, Bob Dylan music was not available on YouTube. For unknown reasons some of his music is now available on subject website. I could find songs from Hard Rain but not Before the Flood

Did Dylan strike a deal with YouTube? Also, do older groups such as Edison Lighthouse or Rascals receive royaties when their music is viewed on YouTube?

Thanks

OT: Dylan's Speech for Music Cares
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 8, 2015 21:06

Wow. Bob has been accused of being enigmatic, not talking to his audience, not explaining himself enough. Well, if you wanted to know what he really thinks about his songs, his detractors, his critics, check this out. It's like he's been saving this up for 40 years. And who knew he nursed a grudge about Tom T. Hall, of all people? This is great, whether you agree with all of it or not.

[njnnetwork.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-08 21:07 by 71Tele.

Re: OT: Dylan's Speech for Music Cares
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 8, 2015 21:16

No mention of the Stones, nor were any of them present as far as I am aware.
Macca sent in a video tribute. Ringo and wife, Olivia Harrison present.
Given their links over the years I find this rather suprising.

Date: February 8, 2015 23:19

jlowe

Ronnie had other duties…
and by the way - Bob was talking about people who influenced him or dissed him. None of the Stones (nor the Rolling Stones) fits in any of these two categories!

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: February 9, 2015 01:20

I find it very annoying when artists don't update their official sites. Dylan's hasn't been touched since last summer.

Date: February 9, 2015 01:42

slewan
jlowe

Ronnie had other duties…
and by the way - Bob was talking about people who influenced him or dissed him. None of the Stones (nor the Rolling Stones) fits in any of these two categories!

well apparently the Stones could never write a tune like Mr. Tambourine Man and Dylan could never sing Satisfaction.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 9, 2015 02:02

Re "Shadows In the Night", I kept thinkin' when I first heard of it, "How fluckin' bad can this album be?" Boy, was I wrong.

This is an album about a man looking back over life, love, and ruminating about what it all means to him. That Dylan took songs from the "great American songbook" and cast them in his own interpretation is marvelous. His band is superb. Think of all of his contemporaries who've done the great American songbook according to the book. Many of their efforts these days sound like bs being tossed across the pasture. Give Dylan credit for finding a new way to look at and present the great American songbook.

Yeah, his voice ain't always great and he misses the notes on a few tunes on "Shadows", but it works in the context of the album. On this album Dylan is one man saying these songs were part of my life and were part of what did and does influence me. The songs and Dylan come across as sad, regretful, wistful, haunting, questioning and so much more. The album puts me in mind of Sinatra's "A Man Alone" album where Sinatra sang songs about a man confronting his history, love and life.

I call "Shadows In the Night" a beautiful piece of work and art. The Stones should dare be so adventurous and inventive on their next album if they ever decide to record again as a band.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 9, 2015 02:47

dmay
Re "Shadows In the Night", I kept thinkin' when I first heard of it, "How fluckin' bad can this album be?" Boy, was I wrong.

This is an album about a man looking back over life, love, and ruminating about what it all means to him. That Dylan took songs from the "great American songbook" and cast them in his own interpretation is marvelous. His band is superb. Think of all of his contemporaries who've done the great American songbook according to the book. Many of their efforts these days sound like bs being tossed across the pasture. Give Dylan credit for finding a new way to look at and present the great American songbook.

Yeah, his voice ain't always great and he misses the notes on a few tunes on "Shadows", but it works in the context of the album. On this album Dylan is one man saying these songs were part of my life and were part of what did and does influence me. The songs and Dylan come across as sad, regretful, wistful, haunting, questioning and so much more. The album puts me in mind of Sinatra's "A Man Alone" album where Sinatra sang songs about a man confronting his history, love and life.

I call "Shadows In the Night" a beautiful piece of work and art. The Stones should dare be so adventurous and inventive on their next album if they ever decide to record again as a band.

My 78-year old father (no rock & roll fan) called me literally screaming about how good it is (someone at work gave him the CD). This only goes to show that Bob still has the ability to delight, surprise, and confound. God bless him.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1360
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home