Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 126
Re: OT Dylan 2014 and NEW ALBUM 2015
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 22, 2015 20:01

Does anyone know if Bob will play in Europe this year?

Thanks
Nate thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 23, 2015 00:08

Nate
Does anyone know if Bob will play in Europe this year?

Thanks
Nate thumbs up

Nothing confirmed as yet,maybe will be early next month to coincide with the release of Bobs new album.
Rumours:
-A series of concerts in New York, possibly a Broadway theatre, to showcase his Sinatra album
-A tour of South America.

His official website and the Expecting Rain are both excellent resources, so check them out.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 24, 2015 19:48

Bob Dylan, Shadows in The Night, review: 'extraordinary'

Shadows in the Wind is the sound of an old man picking over memories and it is quite gorgeous, says Neil McCormick

Dylan sings Sinatra? It shouldn’t work but Shadows In The Night is quite gorgeous, the sound of an old man picking over memories, lost loves, regrets, triumphs and fading hopes amid an ambient tumble of haunting electric instrumentation. It is spooky, bittersweet, mesmerisingly moving and showcases the best singing from Dylan in 25 years.
The very concept seems outrageous, which is perhaps why Dylan’s management have been at pains to insist it is not a Sinatra tribute. One was a vocal giant with perfect mix of tone, technique and emotional expression. The other has a voice that David Bowie described as “like sand and glue,” (and that was intended as a compliment). They are artists we listen to for very different reasons. Yet as a young man suffering romantic defeat, two albums helped me through my misery, Dylan’s Blood On The Tracks and Sinatra’s In The Wee Small Hours. Shadows In The Night is a perfect blend of those heartbreaking classics, digging beneath self-pity to reveal deeper relationship truths.
As much as I love Dylan, recent albums have suggested his barking, growling voice was shot beyond repair. But here his singing is delicate, tender and precise. There is age in the notes, for sure, a wobble and croak as he tackles chords from unusual angles, and falls away with fading breath. Yet somehow this ancient croon focuses the songs, compelling listeners to address their interior world in a way glissando prettiness might disguise.
It is perfectly set in simple yet inspired arrangements for a five piece band, replacing the usual nostalgic orchestras with weeping pedal steel guitars, gently sawed double bass, a swell of horns and the lightest hint of brushed hi hats. It is so sparse and present, you can hear foot pedals squeak, fingers scratch strings, Dylan breathing. Autumn Leaves is woozily sorrowful, Stay with Me is turned into a sacred prayer, That Lucky Old Sun has the stirring power of a gospel folk anthem.
We know of Dylan’s affection for early 20th century pop from his Theme Time Radio Hour and a strand of jazzy melodiousness running through his own latterday work. Dylan has spoken not of covering these classic songs but uncovering them, “lifting them out of the grave and bringing them into the light of day”. He takes beautiful material written by such greats as Rodgers and Hammerstein and completely inhabits them, reimagining Some Enchanted Evening with the wistful intimacy of someone peering back through the mists of time.
Some will scoff, but imagine a beloved grandfather at a family gathering singing ballads of love and yearning from his lost youth, and you will get some idea of the power of this extraordinary record. There wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 25, 2015 22:22

Come gather 'round old people wherever you roam.....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 25, 2015 22:32

Actually Ive never imagined that Dylan has had a problem with getting old, in any sense of ghe word.
He probably likes the fact that his voice for the last 20 years or so has sounded like a man twice his age.
Even if his public don't.

Date: January 27, 2015 12:54

Reviewed in this months MOJO magazine. One of the UKs better music publications.
Receives 5 stars....so top rating.

Date: February 1, 2015 09:54

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: February 1, 2015 12:54

If you hate Dylan like The Times reviewer, you will not like Shadows In The Night. If you approach the album with an open mind, you'll realize that it's a great work of art:

[www.uncut.co.uk]

[www.irishtimes.com]

[vancouver.24hrs.ca]

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2015 13:30

It wouldn't be a Dylan product if there wouldn't been some controversy about its artistic value...

Can't wait to hear it.

- Doxa

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: February 1, 2015 18:17

Bob Dylan Reinvents Himself – One More Time
Posted on February 1, 2015

By Michael Goldberg.

Improbable as it might seem at first, Dylan has recorded an album of songs associated with Frank Sinatra – and it’s damn good.

quote:

"This is a mature album that deals with desire and regret, romance and disappointment, moral weakness and, finally, death. It’s a heavy album, and Bob Dylan brings a gravity to these songs, a version of the gravity he brought to an album he recorded so long ago that mostly contained songs written by other writers. I’m thinking of his 1961 debut, Bob Dylan, an album of songs about some of the same themes that run through Shadows In The Night."

Full review here:

[addictedtonoise.com.au]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 1, 2015 20:13

Has Bob Dylan lost it again?

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: February 1, 2015 20:18

MrEcho
If you hate Dylan like The Times reviewer, you will not like Shadows In The Night. If you approach the album with an open mind, you'll realize that it's a great work of art:

I've been listening to his new album a lot and I agree 100% with you. This is a great record!

Date: February 2, 2015 13:10

Dylan AARP interview ..........

[www.aarp.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 2, 2015 14:15

Shadows in the night is a brilliant album that I already played through at least 20 times, and just as it is said in one of the above items it get me to strongly recall the first experience of ' Nashville skyline '. There's simply not a second of meaningless drivel on this disc.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: February 2, 2015 16:57

What he said.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 2, 2015 17:35

Just listening to the Album, I like it... and tonight I will have Drinks while listening. Donny Herron must have had a great time in the studio, he is carrying the songs, almost playing a main role.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-02 17:47 by windmelody.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 2, 2015 17:54

OOhh with drinks while listening to albums I can almost like The Osmonds...drinking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 2, 2015 17:57

Cristiano Radtke

Shadows in the Wind is the sound of an old man picking over memories and it is quite gorgeous, says Neil McCormick

Dylan sings Sinatra? It shouldn’t work but Shadows In The Night is quite gorgeous, the sound of an old man picking over memories, lost loves, regrets, triumphs and fading hopes amid an ambient tumble of haunting electric instrumentation. It is spooky, bittersweet, mesmerisingly moving and showcases the best singing from Dylan in 25 years.
The very concept seems outrageous, which is perhaps why Dylan’s management have been at pains to insist it is not a Sinatra tribute. One was a vocal giant with perfect mix of tone, technique and emotional expression. The other has a voice that David Bowie described as “like sand and glue,” (and that was intended as a compliment). They are artists we listen to for very different reasons. Yet as a young man suffering romantic defeat, two albums helped me through my misery, Dylan’s Blood On The Tracks and Sinatra’s In The Wee Small Hours. Shadows In The Night is a perfect blend of those heartbreaking classics, digging beneath self-pity to reveal deeper relationship truths.
As much as I love Dylan, recent albums have suggested his barking, growling voice was shot beyond repair. But here his singing is delicate, tender and precise. There is age in the notes, for sure, a wobble and croak as he tackles chords from unusual angles, and falls away with fading breath. Yet somehow this ancient croon focuses the songs, compelling listeners to address their interior world in a way glissando prettiness might disguise.
It is perfectly set in simple yet inspired arrangements for a five piece band, replacing the usual nostalgic orchestras with weeping pedal steel guitars, gently sawed double bass, a swell of horns and the lightest hint of brushed hi hats. It is so sparse and present, you can hear foot pedals squeak, fingers scratch strings, Dylan breathing. Autumn Leaves is woozily sorrowful, Stay with Me is turned into a sacred prayer, That Lucky Old Sun has the stirring power of a gospel folk anthem.
We know of Dylan’s affection for early 20th century pop from his Theme Time Radio Hour and a strand of jazzy melodiousness running through his own latterday work. Dylan has spoken not of covering these classic songs but uncovering them, “lifting them out of the grave and bringing them into the light of day”. He takes beautiful material written by such greats as Rodgers and Hammerstein and completely inhabits them, reimagining Some Enchanted Evening with the wistful intimacy of someone peering back through the mists of time.
Some will scoff, but imagine a beloved grandfather at a family gathering singing ballads of love and yearning from his lost youth, and you will get some idea of the power of this extraordinary record. There wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

That's good enough for me. Just ordered it. Thanks for posting the review Cristiano.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 2, 2015 18:02

Silver Dagger
Cristiano Radtke

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

That's good enough for me. Just ordered it. Thanks for posting the review Cristiano.

I love the fact that he's still taking chances. This could easily have been panned/flopped but he has such confidence in what he's doing, he knows it's good.

I'll be getting this too.

Date: February 2, 2015 22:27

Keith should be doing an album like this, I dont mean Sinatra / Songbook but across the country/blues genre and throw in a Hogy Carmichael or two.
Who cares if it only generates modest sales.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: February 2, 2015 23:24

Bob is the best.

I recently acquired a mint copy of Biograph on vinyl. One night a few weeks back I sat down with a bottomless glass of Seagrams VO and read the extensive liner notes as the music played.

I'm looking forward to adding this release to the collection.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: February 3, 2015 02:58

Come On
OOhh with drinks while listening to albums I can almost like The Osmonds...drinking smiley

Hahahaha. Love the way you roll Come On

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 3, 2015 13:13

It is a strong Album. I was sceptical when I first heard about it, but it works really well. The only thing is that not every song makes me think of Sinatra. My favourite "Autumn Leaves" is by Yves Montand.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2015 13:51

This is yet another reason Dylan is just one of the most astounding showman and American artists. He plays a part. And for his last four albums that was grizzled, wheezing singer of dust and danger in the heart. Then he confounds and angers with Christmas songs being sung from the gravel pits of glass and sand. And now? he comes out and CROONS. And shows people he is a singer from the heart. And always has been. The man is a living myth that continues to surprise as the Willy Wonka of Americana.

Incidentally, if you really want to hear what all the hype was and is on Sinatra. Well listen to any of the stuff on The Capital Years. Or better yet, pour a scotch, and slip on side three of Live at the Sands and listen. The man had pipes, and a depth of feeling in every note that oozed masculinity with a tender undercurrent of boyish mischievousness. I just got Live at the Sands on Mobile Fidelity 180 gram vinyl. My living room instantly became quaffed up roulette room with smoke and whisky. Sinatra. Ole' Blue Eyes. The Chairman of the Board. Yeah, he's all that and a hell of a lot more. A legend and myth of a bygone era. The Thin White Duke got a few tips from him, baby.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 3, 2015 17:15

Ordered a copy from Amazon last night. Looking forward to digging in to Bob's
Latest. Most of the comments I hear are favorable. Makes me wonder what his next
Move will be...He is one fascinating cat.

Date: February 3, 2015 19:07

Rockman
Dylan AARP interview ..........

[www.aarp.org]

Here's the full interview for the same magazine: [www.aarp.org]

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 3, 2015 21:56

whitem8
This is yet another reason Dylan is just one of the most astounding showman and American artists. He plays a part. And for his last four albums that was grizzled, wheezing singer of dust and danger in the heart. Then he confounds and angers with Christmas songs being sung from the gravel pits of glass and sand. And now? he comes out and CROONS. And shows people he is a singer from the heart. And always has been. The man is a living myth that continues to surprise as the Willy Wonka of Americana.

Incidentally, if you really want to hear what all the hype was and is on Sinatra. Well listen to any of the stuff on The Capital Years. Or better yet, pour a scotch, and slip on side three of Live at the Sands and listen. The man had pipes, and a depth of feeling in every note that oozed masculinity with a tender undercurrent of boyish mischievousness. I just got Live at the Sands on Mobile Fidelity 180 gram vinyl. My living room instantly became quaffed up roulette room with smoke and whisky. Sinatra. Ole' Blue Eyes. The Chairman of the Board. Yeah, he's all that and a hell of a lot more. A legend and myth of a bygone era. The Thin White Duke got a few tips from him, baby.

Each his own. I love Dylan and I believe he is the greatest artist of the 20th century but I can't understand how anyone can listen to any of his newer stuff. His current day voice ruins everything he touches. I have not been able to listen to anything since TOOM. His live music is unlistenable nowadays. Personally I wish he would do the obvious and have someone sing with him and has a voice that blends together well with his. To me Dylan has way too often forgot that the goal of music is to actually sound good. You can write a great piece of music but you also have to have it sound good.

As for Sinatra I never thought he was anything but one of the luckiest people who ever lived. You can find a better voice in any crowded bar any night and his voice was all he had. I always though it was fitting that actual talented people like The Beatles,Dylan, and the Stones pushed people like his to where they belonged..

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 4, 2015 04:56

stanlove
whitem8

Each his own. I love Dylan and I believe he is the greatest artist of the 20th century but I can't understand how anyone can listen to any of his newer stuff. His current day voice ruins everything he touches. I have not been able to listen to anything since TOOM. His live music is unlistenable nowadays. Personally I wish he would do the obvious and have someone sing with him and has a voice that blends together well with his. To me Dylan has way too often forgot that the goal of music is to actually sound good. You can write a great piece of music but you also have to have it sound good.

As for Sinatra I never thought he was anything but one of the luckiest people who ever lived. You can find a better voice in any crowded bar any night and his voice was all he had. I always though it was fitting that actual talented people like The Beatles,Dylan, and the Stones pushed people like his to where they belonged..

I happen to love his latter day voice. I think "Love and Theft" is one of the best albums by anyone in the last 20 years. It careens through so many styles of American music. A personal fave is "Mississippi;" the voice and phrasing in that are pure artistry.

But I've never worried about the singer sounding perfect, myself. Mark Knopfler wrote great songs with a less than splendid voice as well.

T@3

Date: February 4, 2015 06:42

TeaAtThree
stanlove
whitem8

I happen to love his latter day voice. I think "Love and Theft" is one of the best albums by anyone in the last 20 years. It careens through so many styles of American music. A personal fave is "Mississippi;" the voice and phrasing in that are pure artistry.

But I've never worried about the singer sounding perfect, myself. Mark Knopfler wrote great songs with a less than splendid voice as well.

T@3

Love and Theft, for me, is his first attempt on being a crooner (Bye and Bye, Moonlight and Po' Boy, for instance), and Mississippi is a real modern classic for him, IMHO.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 4, 2015 08:06

<<My living room instantly became quaffed up roulette room with smoke and whisky. Sinatra. Ole' Blue Eyes.>>

Ugh. Whiskey. Last time I had whiskey, I bought a 200 mL bottle of bourbon, to go with the 8 beers I would be drinking that evening. I mean, the bottle looked small enough, so what the hell?

By the time I was finished with the beer and the bourbon, when I attempted to stand up, I just fell forward into my DVD collection, and it took some effort to get back up on my feet again. Then I had to go to the bathroom--I mean, I couldn't control it. I couldn't even summon the muscular coordination to undo my fly and I wound up pissing my pants. Not certain, but I think I may have shit myself as well, just a pure liquid gush of brown trouser time. When I woke the next morning, I discovered there was a trail of puke stains leading from the garbage container to my pillow--and that part I don't even remember!

Give me lager and Stones any day--or, preferably, night. That old school steak, bourbon, and cigars set, I don't know how they could stand it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home