Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 126
Re: OT Dylan 2014
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2014 00:36

Bob Dylan’s press release regarding the death of Jerry Garcia ( September 21, 1995):

“There's no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don't think any eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great, much more than a superb musician, with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He's the very spirit personified of whatever is Muddy River country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn't only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he'll ever know. There's a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman—a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There's no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep.”

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 29, 2014 01:10

Hairball
Bob Dylan’s press release regarding the death of Jerry Garcia ( September 21, 1995):

“There's no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don't think any eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great, much more than a superb musician, with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He's the very spirit personified of whatever is Muddy River country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn't only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he'll ever know. There's a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman—a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There's no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep.”

This proves Bob liked Jerry, not that his collaboration with the Dead produced compelling music.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 29, 2014 01:18

71Tele
JimmyTheSaint
I love Bob. Have seen him live 15 times, between the years 1994 and 2013. The shows were in arenas, school gymnasiums, amphitheatres, baseball parks and at county fairs. Between '94 and '02 the shows were mostly outstanding. Great musicianship, varied setlists and a mostly coherent and engaged Bob.

By 2006 I decided I had seen him enough. Started going again in 2011 and went again in 2012 and 2013. Those 3 shows were pretty terrible. Uninspired sets and mostly incoherent and disengaged Bob.

It's encouraging to read that he found his mojo again down under. However, the setlists still look pretty uninspired for a guy with such a canon at his disposal.

I don't think the setlist lacks inspiration, I think he's is choosing to focus on newer material and not do a greatest hits show. Not the first time Bob has done this by any stretch.

Believe me, I don't want Greatest Hits.

I want Tough Mama, Drifter's Escape, Man in the Long Black Coat, Shelter From the Storm, Country Pie, Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat, Silvio, Senor, Jokerman and several other brilliant album tracks that dotted his sets in the mid '90s. Or what about covers like Alabama Getaway, Duncan and Brady, Old Man, Brown Sugar and Accidentally Like a Martyr?

I get him playing some tracks from recent LPs, and I like many of them. However, I went to basically the same show in 2011, 2012 and 2013 which was disappointing. There used to be more variety in the Bob Dylan show.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 29, 2014 02:53

71Tele

This proves Bob liked Jerry, not that his collaboration with the Dead produced compelling music.

I, for one, witnessed some VERY compelling music when Dylan played with the Dead. The Dead breathed new life into many of Bob's songs. They were better than any of the Dead's tunes, imho. I thought they were a superb backing band.

And I think you would have liked Jerry too, Tele. He was a super nice, smart and humorous fellow and I'm sure he wouldn't have started dancing a hippie dance in front of you during a concert. winking smiley

On the dancing thing, I remember going to a Neville Bros. concert at the Saratoga Mtn. Winery. We were in the first coupla rows and Joan Baez was sitting directly in front of us. Great venue, fancy seats, etc. At one point Joan couldn't control herself and just stood up and started dancing her hippie dance. We were more delighted to see her enjoying herself so much than irritated she was blocking our view and decided to stand up and dance with her! Hope you weren't sitting behind us Tele, if so, my apologies. smoking smiley peace

Date: October 29, 2014 17:06

Naturalust
71Tele

I, for one, witnessed some VERY compelling music when Dylan played with the Dead. The Dead breathed new life into many of Bob's songs. They were better than any of the Dead's tunes, imho. I thought they were a superb backing band.

And I think you would have liked Jerry too, Tele. He was a super nice, smart and humorous fellow and I'm sure he wouldn't have started dancing a hippie dance in front of you during a concert. winking smiley

On the dancing thing, I remember going to a Neville Bros. concert at the Saratoga Mtn. Winery. We were in the first coupla rows and Joan Baez was sitting directly in front of us. Great venue, fancy seats, etc. At one point Joan couldn't control herself and just stood up and started dancing her hippie dance. We were more delighted to see her enjoying herself so much than irritated she was blocking our view and decided to stand up and dance with her! Hope you weren't sitting behind us Tele, if so, my apologies. smoking smiley peace

Nice story about Joanie, whom I have always loved. But I can guarantee I wasn't sitting behind you! I do respect Jerry actually. My opinion of Bob Weir is far less generous, let's put it that way. And other than a few tunes, their music does nothing for me. As I never got to know them, as you did, obviously I have no judgment about them as people.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 29, 2014 18:41

Great story Naturalust! For many of us, there is nothing wrong with dancing at a concert. Others would call Joan an "a--hole" for dancing at a concert.

I'll say if folks started dancing at symphony, opera, jazz supper club, etc. it would likely be due to alcohol. Dancing at a rock concert shouldn't make someone an a--hole though.

Anyone else think that some musicians must find it strange to be playing a really rockin' tune & seeing a bunch of faces just staring back instead of an inspired crowd dancing? Like David Byrne at Humphrey's in San Diego...he almost has to beg the crowd to move...and when someone does, you get some old fart yelling "sit down". Strangely, it seems always at the encore does the crowd decide they now want to dance. You never see this behavior at younger person venues.

Also strange, you sometimes get the scene where most of the crowd is dancing, but the first 3-5 rows stay seated. I figure it is the sheep mentality, they don't see the dancing, only the people staying seated...so they follow. Only a crowd can make you feel so alone...if you want to dance.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 29, 2014 19:41

For me, it's a mixed blessing sitting in the first few rows. Yes, the sound and view are great but there's also the "responsibility" of rewarding the musicians by standing and acknowledging the great music. But I usually turn around to see if anyone behind me is standing. Often if people in the first few rows start standing it sets off a chain reaction, which the performers appreciate but as stated here, others might prefer to sit for whatever reason. When I saw Ringo Starr at the Beacon in June, I was in the second row. A guy in the front row stood up and the 60ish, heavy set woman next to me immediately tapped him in the back and asked him to sit down. This went on with other people around me throughout the show. Near the end, Steve Lukather, exasperated, was pointing to us, yelling "Come on!! Stand up!! What's wrong?". Ringo said at one point "You're the best crowd we've played to this evening!"

Date: October 30, 2014 00:00

sdstonesguy
Great story Naturalust! For many of us, there is nothing wrong with dancing at a concert. Others would call Joan an "a--hole" for dancing at a concert.

I'll say if folks started dancing at symphony, opera, jazz supper club, etc. it would likely be due to alcohol. Dancing at a rock concert shouldn't make someone an a--hole though.

Anyone else think that some musicians must find it strange to be playing a really rockin' tune & seeing a bunch of faces just staring back instead of an inspired crowd dancing? Like David Byrne at Humphrey's in San Diego...he almost has to beg the crowd to move...and when someone does, you get some old fart yelling "sit down". Strangely, it seems always at the encore does the crowd decide they now want to dance. You never see this behavior at younger person venues.

Also strange, you sometimes get the scene where most of the crowd is dancing, but the first 3-5 rows stay seated. I figure it is the sheep mentality, they don't see the dancing, only the people staying seated...so they follow. Only a crowd can make you feel so alone...if you want to dance.

Again, depends on the circumstances, type of music, and type of venue. There is no inherent right to dance at shows if it means blocking the view and ruining the experience for others, who chose not to dance. To say otherwise is merely rationalizing rude and selfish behavior, one of many things that have made going to shows less bearable in recent years.

Date: October 30, 2014 21:42

71Tele
sdstonesguy

Again, depends on the circumstances, type of music, and type of venue. There is no inherent right to dance at shows if it means blocking the view and ruining the experience for others, who chose not to dance. To say otherwise is merely rationalizing rude and selfish behavior, one of many things that have made going to shows less bearable in recent years.

No, you are just wrong...again.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 30, 2014 22:09

sdstonesguy
71Tele
sdstonesguy

We have a venue in Seattle that addresses the issue nicely but only for some shows. The Paramount Theater. When they refurbished it with Microsoft millions, they made the main floor so that they can make the seats disappear (they are permanent). Hard to explain but cool. So some shows, the main floor is general admission standing & the balcony is reserved sitting. Worked well when Wilco played there & Jeff Tweedy commented that it solved the standing vs sitting question nicely. Of course, artist has to choose that. Dylan played there & it was all reserve seats. Wasn't much of a problem here though.

Date: October 30, 2014 22:23

sdstonesguy
71Tele
sdstonesguy

Yes, I am wrong. So sorry. You have the right to do whatever the hell you want because you want to, other people be damned. Stand up in front of me when no one else is, talk loudly to your neighbor instead of watching the show, arrive late and then fumble around in the dark trying to find your seat. "Dance" and obstruct everyone's view. Slam into me because you think it's more "fun" to watch a show that way. YOU get to decide how people should take in live music without regard to whatever anyone else is doing or would prefer to do. Why? Because you are YOU. Whatever it is you want is ok because you want it.

Thank you for making me understand your thinking. I think I've got it now.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 30, 2014 23:10

Last Friday's show at the Dolby Theater had a bit of drama about 3 songs in when an older gentleman about 5 rows behind me decided he wanted to stand when no one else was.
In between songs some younger guy about 2 rows behind him yelled at full force about 3 times: "SIT THE FU*K DOWN"!!! Caught everyone's attention, probably even Dylan and his bandmembers.
Quite a scene, and I don't know which one was being more of a jerk...the stander or the yeller.

Anyways, the standing guy looked around in bewilderment and took his seat.
Kind of felt sorry for him, but he did stick out like a sore thumb as the only one standing during that point of the show.

Date: October 31, 2014 01:31

Hairball
Last Friday's show at the Dolby Theater had a bit of drama about 3 songs in when an older gentleman about 5 rows behind me decided he wanted to stand when no one else was.
In between songs some younger guy about 2 rows behind him yelled at full force about 3 times: "SIT THE FU*K DOWN"!!! Caught everyone's attention, probably even Dylan and his bandmembers.
Quite a scene, and I don't know which one was being more of a jerk...the stander or the yeller.

Anyways, the standing guy looked around in bewilderment and took his seat.
Kind of felt sorry for him, but he did stick out like a sore thumb as the only one standing during that point of the show.

That's an easy one. The guy standing was the bigger jerk because he was clueless that he was blocking other people's view (or worse, he didn't care). The guy who yelled at him was compelled to do so so he could watch the show. Sounds like he got the job done. I'd rather endure one awkward moment of someone yelling than two hours of not being able to see the performer because I have to look at some a-hole's back instead.

Date: October 31, 2014 01:38

We have a venue in Seattle that addresses the issue nicely but only for some shows. The Paramount Theater. When they refurbished it with Microsoft millions, they made the main floor so that they can make the seats disappear (they are permanent).

Perfect! Now they just need to give the switch to make 'em disappear to the artist, maybe a footswitch.....when he or she wants the crowd to stand up and dance he hits the switch! Bam! The seats give a small warning shock then disappear into the floor..grinning smiley peace

OT Dylan NEW album 2015
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 30, 2014 22:53

Here is the link!

[www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com]

Not sure what to think about this one, kind of like the Christmas album?

I hope this doesn't get merged in the "Dylan 2014" thread, since that thread started out regarding his tour in 2014. Different year, different topic. also, that one seems to have degenerated into an argument!

Thanks!

Ross

Re: OT Dylan NEW album 2015
Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 23:51

Can't wait!

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 31, 2014 05:03

Thanks for the link Ross and I don't think it stood a chance of remaining a separate thread these days...

I'll try and change the thread title if I still can to incorporate the forthcoming album.

As a side note - guys discussing annoying concert goers and what they should or shouldn't do please take it elsewhere. Thanks.

Re: OT Dylan 2014 and NEW ALBUM 2015
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 31, 2014 06:48

I always hate the standing vs. sitting thing. My thought process is always "I paid to be at the show. It probably means I really like the performer and I want to stand, even if its a seated venue." Sure, I've seen Brian Wilson do Smile, and its something you sit down and experience.

But I just recently saw Slash and Aerosmith. Slash was the opener, but I love Slash and I wanted to stand. It was my birthday and I love me some GNR. I felt bad for the people around me, but in my head I'm like "I gotta stand. I don't really care if I stick out. I paid to be here too and they shouldn't dictate my good time." You can't sit while Slash is playing Paradise City.

But yes, I do tend to try to be polite. But it is annoying and while I hate standing for hours on end for GA shows, it does solve the problem and weeds out those that don't like it (for better or for worse). I would probably sit for Dylan though. I don't know, it depends on the show and how the feeling is.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 31, 2014 10:19

OzHeavyThrobber
Thanks for the link Ross and I don't think it stood a chance of remaining a separate thread these days...

I'll try and change the thread title if I still can to incorporate the forthcoming album.

As a side note - guys discussing annoying concert goers and what they should or shouldn't do please take it elsewhere. Thanks.

Who died & made you God? The standing/sitting discussion is valid in relation to Dylan concerts. While usually I don't mind folks standing, the Dylan show was pretty mellow & twirling hippy dances were fine for a few songs, most of the show was more suited to sitting & actually listening to lyrics, etc. Its indicative of our me centric society. "I'm going to do my thing & f everybody else". It gets old.smoking smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 31, 2014 11:50

When I saw Dylan this year, I was sitting in the first row. Pretty much center. While I was really excited when I got the ticket, I have to say it was not the best choice. I mean during the concert I thought how great it would be to have a second row ticket.

First I agree, that if one "has to" sit a rock concert, the Dylan concert is one of the better occasions. But still, sitting in the first row, I felt like half naked. It just felt strange, I don't know how to say it - like there is an action on the stage and the audience doesn't give anything to it and since I was in the first row, closest to the performers, I somehow felt responsible. It is fine with theatre, but I feel it is odd at a concert. I feel like by standing, one is putting out some physical effort too and that is what he adds to the performance.

Sitting there in the first row I could not help but thinking about what Mick says in the 69 Hyde Park movie - how some people come to the show, sit down and expect to be entertainded. It felt exactly that way.

It became absolutely clear during the last 2 or 3 songs, when people actually stood up and rushed for the stage, and the security guys (who were extremely strict - to the point that it was highly unpleasant and disturbed the performance - especially for us in the first row) let them be there, so there suddenly was a FOS standing area. I was there and for those last couple of songs the atmosphere lifted up unbelievably and at last it was a great party.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 31, 2014 15:12

crholmstrom
OzHeavyThrobber

Who died & made you God? The standing/sitting discussion is valid in relation to Dylan concerts. While usually I don't mind folks standing, the Dylan show was pretty mellow & twirling hippy dances were fine for a few songs, most of the show was more suited to sitting & actually listening to lyrics, etc. Its indicative of our me centric society. "I'm going to do my thing & f everybody else". It gets old.smoking smiley

Winnie The Pooh died and made me god. How's that?
You want to discuss annoying people at concerts go start a thread about it.
This thread was started to discuss Dylan performing these days and in general. Hope God's clear enough for you here tiger.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: November 4, 2014 09:49

Has anyone listened to the new bootleg series yet? Is it worth getting the full edition?

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: November 4, 2014 17:31

I'm listening to the full set now (iTunes version is $50 for 139 tracks) and it is fantastic!! I listened to all of the unreleased material first and now I'm making my way through the whole set. The sound is definitely upgraded from the Tree with Roots bootleg release. All of my expectations are exceeded. I had no idea there was so much great unreleased material that the bootleggers didn't know about! The only thing that is saddening is that I doubt we'll get anything from the Stones this extensive and of this caliber.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-04 17:32 by RollingStoner.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 4, 2014 18:38

RollingStoner
I'm listening to the full set now (iTunes version is $50 for 139 tracks) and it is fantastic!! I listened to all of the unreleased material first and now I'm making my way through the whole set. The sound is definitely upgraded from the Tree with Roots bootleg release. All of my expectations are exceeded. I had no idea there was so much great unreleased material that the bootleggers didn't know about! The only thing that is saddening is that I doubt we'll get anything from the Stones this extensive and of this caliber.

I managed to get a copy over the weekend, I am totally immersed in it. This music is timeless, ageless, and beyond description. Tremendous upgrade from the boots, and some absolute gems that have never even been booted. There will be months of new discoveries with this set. The release of the year!

No, we won't get anything of this caliber from The Stones, or anyone else for that matter. What these guys did in a few months, then tossed aside, would be an entire career for anyone else. (Um, I kind of like this!)

Ross

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 5, 2014 00:01

I'm a long time Dylan Fan but have been disappointed in the last show I saw of
his- about a year ago. I live near Chicago and would attend multiple shows around the area. He has a great band but the shows are all the same now. The stage lighting a joke - no brighter than candlelight for most of the show. I will do
One of Bob's Chicago shows.

Bob's still a great artist and sure assembles a wonderful band. In my opinion,
He seems to have a bizarre relationship, if any, with his fans. Once I saw
A tshirt or bumper sticker that said: Bob Dyan -pissing fans off since 1962.
Lots of truth in that tshirt.

As far as standing when those behind you are seated - how can anyone twist
That into something appropriate?

Date: November 5, 2014 00:41

swimtothemoon
I'm a long time Dylan Fan but have been disappointed in the last show I saw of
his- about a year ago. I live near Chicago and would attend multiple shows around the area. He has a great band but the shows are all the same now. The stage lighting a joke - no brighter than candlelight for most of the show. I will do
One of Bob's Chicago shows.

Bob's still a great artist and sure assembles a wonderful band. In my opinion,
He seems to have a bizarre relationship, if any, with his fans. Once I saw
A tshirt or bumper sticker that said: Bob Dyan -pissing fans off since 1962.
Lots of truth in that tshirt.

As far as standing when those behind you are seated - how can anyone twist that into something appropriate?

Because some people are actually selfish enough to believe that their personal desires at all times outweight the common good. Same as the people who insist on talking through the whole show (except for the songs THEY like).

Bob has never really catered to an audience's expectations. That's just Bob. It comes with the Bob territory. I have seen brilliant Bob shows, and awful ones. Unfortunately what you and I want out of a Bob Dylan show doesn not seem to concern him in the least.

Date: November 5, 2014 01:27

Never fear, there are many sheep who will just follow what everyone else is doing.

Hey look...there's Bob Dylan ripping the guitar (not now of course) on Watchtower...better keep seated...golf clap at the end. If everyone suddenly gets up for the encore, I guess I better get up too then (strange they wanted to sit until the show was almost over). If I just follow everyone else, I will be safe...and it is better that everyone is just like me...a follower.

Someone dancing around blocking the view when Dylan does Mutineer (in a seated venue)? Maybe not so cool...but I'll deal with it (they must have purchased a better ticket than me to be in front of me). Having someone behind you cross b/c you want to dance when he rips out Baby, Let Me Follow You Down? Well, you better be a good sheep & sit down.

You know why Europe is/was better than the US to see a Stones gig? Because I was never asked to sit down in Europe on the GA pitch...but I have been told to sit down at many Stones gigs in the States. Americans are such sheep...we even try to bully others into joining the herd. You better go take a piss when Keef comes out for 2 numbers...everyone else is after all.

Date: November 5, 2014 03:35

sdstonesguy
Never fear, there are many sheep who will just follow what everyone else is doing.

Hey look...there's Bob Dylan ripping the guitar (not now of course) on Watchtower...better keep seated...golf clap at the end. If everyone suddenly gets up for the encore, I guess I better get up too then (strange they wanted to sit until the show was almost over). If I just follow everyone else, I will be safe...and it is better that everyone is just like me...a follower.

Someone dancing around blocking the view when Dylan does Mutineer (in a seated venue)? Maybe not so cool...but I'll deal with it (they must have purchased a better ticket than me to be in front of me). Having someone behind you cross b/c you want to dance when he rips out Baby, Let Me Follow You Down? Well, you better be a good sheep & sit down.

You know why Europe is/was better than the US to see a Stones gig? Because I was never asked to sit down in Europe on the GA pitch...but I have been told to sit down at many Stones gigs in the States. Americans are such sheep...we even try to bully others into joining the herd. You better go take a piss when Keef comes out for 2 numbers...everyone else is after all.

You keep using the same "I'm right and everybody else is wrong" reasoning to rationalize your selfish point of view. It isn't any more convincing now than it was earlier.

Date: November 5, 2014 04:32

Your bullying sheep mentality is just so unimpressive to me.

Like Lucas Jackson once said, "yes boss".

Date: November 5, 2014 06:28

Hey Tele and sdstonesguy, not sure how you guys feels about the standing vs. sitting thing...can you explain it to us once again on this Bob Dylan thread? eye rolling smiley

Bob Dyan -pissing fans off since 1962. That is hilarious.

peace

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home