Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 126
OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:49

Just home from seeing Bob.

Sublime. Just so good. Last time I saw him I'd give him a firm 1 out of 10. Tonite is a solid, hard as rock 10.

Any Aussies here might wanna check him out. Think he's headed East on the weekend. Well withy the hundred and sixty bucks.

Think a new album is due out any day as well for those interested.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-10 18:41 by bv.

Re: OT Dylan 2014
Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: August 14, 2014 23:24

I saw Bob in Hamilton, NZ opening night of this leg of his tour. I went with a friend who had never been and forewarned her that at best it was an iffy prospect. Having seen the man several times, he remains the only major artist I have walked out on, and that more that once. I am so happy I went, the band is ACES, Bob actually seemed engaged in what he was doing, downright toe tapping. While he never really spoke to the audience , at least he looked at us and seemed happy. The song selection went as far back as Blowing in the Wind and as up to date as songs from Tempest. Best of all Bob actually tried to sing instead of just growling or yelling. His voice actually had dynamic range and inflection. Can't say a choir master would give him a solo, but I have seen vocal deliveries from Bob that made me shudder. Do it. My tickets were $199 NZ , a far cry from a $1100 Stones package, but worth it in that they affirmed that Bob is a tremendous talent and deserves to be the icon that he is.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 14, 2014 23:28

OzHeavyThrobber

Sublime. Just so good. Last time I saw him I'd give him a firm 1 out of 10. Tonite is a solid, hard as rock 10.

I've read some very positive reviews about his Australian concerts. Just asking, when was the last time you saw him?

OzHeavyThrobber

It seems his new album will be released on August 22, as far as I've read.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 15, 2014 00:43

kahoosier
downright toe tapping

Wow! Bob's toe tapping is Iggy Pop's stage diving : a sign the performer enjoys being onstage that night! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: August 15, 2014 01:20

I last saw Bob at Byron Bay 3 years ago, and his performance (and vocal range) would have been a 1/10 then, so something amazing must have happened since then to get him back on track.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 15, 2014 10:59

AussieMark
I last saw Bob at Byron Bay 3 years ago, and his performance (and vocal range) would have been a 1/10 then, so something amazing must have happened since then to get him back on track.

Bobs vocal range when recording 'Tempest' might be 2/10, so now touring with that album 2/10 is pretty what we can expect...anyway, his concerts 2013-14 is great stuff...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 15, 2014 15:10

Cristiano Radtke
OzHeavyThrobber

I've read some very positive reviews about his Australian concerts. Just asking, when was the last time you saw him?

OzHeavyThrobber

It seems his new album will be released on August 22, as far as I've read.

I last saw him in '92 and apart from "Ballad of a thin man" and "Simple twist of fate" he was deplorable.

Last nite he was foot tapping on the piano, voice was in good form (he's got a great white man's blues voice and singing his gear as he does isn't as easy as many think), delivery very good, harp playing was brilliant and the arrangements were superb. "Forgetful heart" was worth admission alone.

This band he has is brilliant. They seem to get him out of the 'bored' box he appears to inhabit mostly on stage. I could have only enjoyed the show more being played in the streets of the French quarter in New Orleans I think.

Get Bob while he's on fire.

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: August 15, 2014 17:32

Saw the same show last November at Albert Hall. Here's a link to my review:http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/154520/Bob-Dylan-at-Albert-Hall-26-Nov-2013

Link doesn't seem to work but it does if you cut and paste.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 22:03 by rowley.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 15, 2014 20:15

I've seen Bob 4 times all in London,last time at the Royal Albert Hall and he's been fantastic every time,I personally love the growling voice it's very unique.

Nate

Date: August 15, 2014 20:21

OzHeavyThrobber

Get Bob while he's on fire.

Yes, that's the spirit. Like Nate, I've also seen him 4 times since 1998, and all of them were very good concerts (the best one was my first, in 1998, when he played for a small audience - 1700 people).

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: August 15, 2014 22:42

Good to hear! I'm going to all 4 Melbourne shows next week- been to every Oz tour since '92 with the exception of 2011 when I had to give up my 2nd and 5th row seats due to last minute surgery (I almost turned the surgery down so I wouldn't miss it! But then logic took over and I decided I probably didn't want to be put back on the wait list for another 2 years or more)

Anyway, some shows have been stunningly brilliant like Melbourne in 2001 and others a bit dull - Sydney 2003 comes to mind (or was it just he couldn't compete with the real reason I travelled to Sydney which was to see The Stones at the Enmore Theatre the next night!). But he's never been terrible.

Last I saw him was in a university basketball arena in Bethlehem Pensylvania last year and he was fantastic. Worth driving in NYC traffic to get there!

Date: August 15, 2014 23:51

AussieMark

You're rigth! I completely gave up DLing tapes of his shows from 2008-on then Bob started to be exciting again. I betcha the return of Charlie Sexton has sth to do with it.

"others a bit dull - Sydney 2003"
Billy Burnett played guitar. Bob fired him after this short Aussie tour...

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: August 15, 2014 23:53

Got front row for Christchurch 10 th Sept ,Reviews all good from first nz show.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 16, 2014 03:13

I've also seen him on a 1/10 night and a 10/10 night.

Last time he came through I didn't go for tix...just had purchased McCartney floor seats and didn't want to roll the dice with Dylan.

Glad it worked out for you!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 16, 2014 06:11

rowley
Link doesn't seem to work but it does if you cut and paste.

Click!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 16, 2014 13:41

treaclefingers

Last time he came through I didn't go for tix...just had purchased McCartney floor seats and didn't want to roll the dice with Dylan.

!

Chicken!

But recent Dylan is a safe bet. Saw him in last November and a month ago... Superb shows both.

- Doxa

Date: August 16, 2014 15:43

Thanks, Koen!

Date: August 16, 2014 16:57

Doxa
treaclefingers

!

Chicken!

But recent Dylan is a safe bet. Saw him in last November and a month ago... Superb shows both.

- Doxa

OR...you lucked out!

But good for you that it did. I'm wary because last time I heard him, I think it was the Grammy's I thought his vocal was absolutely brutal.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 16, 2014 21:15

Is he still not playing guitar? Can you actually hear his keyboard in the mix?

Date: August 16, 2014 21:25

treaclefingers

Really? Sounds like going out with Hillary Clinton while you could have had a drink with Christie Brinkley... tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 16, 2014 22:30

dcba
treaclefingers

Really? Sounds like going out with Hillary Clinton while you could have had a drink with Christie Brinkley... tongue sticking out smiley

Ouch.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 17, 2014 11:33

71Tele
Is he still not playing guitar? Can you actually hear his keyboard in the mix?

He does not play guitar on this tour (he did when I saw him 2 years ago). He is either at the center mic (he actually had 4 mics surrounding his face when I saw him :-) ) facing the crowd, or he plays a grand piano, which is nice and clear in the mix.

I saw him in July, it was the fourth time since 2005 and each show was better than the previous. I think he is really great this year.

Date: August 17, 2014 16:17

I saw him in Hershey Pennsylvania in Sept. 2012 and he played three songs on guitar that night--I believe that's the most he's played in any recent years. It was a good concert but the Albert Hall show last November was better. Dylan is showcasing his work from the last twenty years and it works great. Contrast that with Mick and the boys set list.

Date: August 17, 2014 17:16

dcba
treaclefingers

Are you saying Dylan is supposed to be Christie Brinkley?

What sort of weird parallel universe are you living in dude?!

Date: August 18, 2014 04:36

"He does not play guitar on this tour (he did when I saw him 2 years ago). He is either at the center mic (he actually had 4 mics surrounding his face when I saw him :-) ) facing the crowd, or he plays a grand piano, which is nice and clear in the mix.

I saw him in July, it was the fourth time since 2005 and each show was better than the previous. I think he is really great this year."

Yeah that's exactly how he presented the show I just saw. And his piano could be clearly heard. Only thing I would have changed would have been to raise his vocal in the mix. But there's only so much a mixer can do when the singer rarely plays ball...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 18, 2014 04:45

Perth last week on Aug 13 was just sublime, stunning in fact. Workingman's Blues, Forgotten Heart and All Along the Watchtower (which I SWEAR sounded more like Hurricane at the beginning!) were simply majestic. The rest just awesome....

Have seen him 5 times and rated him between 1 and 9. When he's awful, he's DREADFUL. But when he's on he is SO on!! Last week he rated a 10 clear and simple. Magical night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 04:45 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: August 18, 2014 17:32

Wow. Tonight's show at The Palias was simply magical. A world away from last years show I saw in the USA- which was great too, but wasn't mesmerising from start to finish. He is really on form at the moment.

(Stones played there in '65 and '66 for those interested. I believe Brian was involved in some altercation on the stage there too).

Date: August 19, 2014 18:15

I think this concert will be awesome.

"Promoters for Dylan’s impending national tour have revealed the iconic musician will play a club show at Brisbane’s Tivoli Theatre, where the intimate setting allows for a crowd of about 800 people."

[www.dailytelegraph.com.au]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 19, 2014 19:01

I do hope he is coming back to London this year,has anyone here heard anything about the possibility of that?

Nate

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 19, 2014 19:42

Nate
I do hope he is coming back to London this year,has anyone here heard anything about the possibility of that?

Nate

the possibility of returning to Europe/Britain this year is close to zero! He's going to tour the US in October through November. And his touring year usually ends shortly before thanksgiving.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home