Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: RIP Robin Williams
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 12, 2014 15:25

Was he really that good?
Apart from "Dead Poets" and "Good Will Hunting" 95% of his output targeted the the 6-12 y.o. population of movie goers. I mean he mainly worked for Disney (yuck!) or Spielberg (who's even worse).

Doubtfire is okay but if you consider this one to be a classic you're 8 or you have a problem.
And his latest string of film was very bad to say the least :
[www.theguardian.com]
So shall we really call him a genius and a major loss? eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 15:29 by dcba.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 12, 2014 15:33

dcba
Was he really that good?
Apart from "Dead Poets" and "Good Will Hunting" 95% of his output targeted the the 6-12 y.o. population of movie goers. I mean he mainly worked for Disney (yuck!) or Spielberg (who's even worse).

Doubtfire is okay but if you consider this one to be a classic you're 8 or you have a problem.
[www.theguardian.com]

Yes I shall. You can feel free to tell me how wrong I am. I personally don't care what you say. I'm 45 years old and have my own opinions and views regardless of yours. I enjoyed his serious stuff as well as his silly stuff. If I want to laugh my butt off watching Aladin with my 7 year old nephew I will. And with or without your permission I'll continue to do so. Roll your eyes all you want.

Peace,
MR DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 16:47 by mr_dja.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 12, 2014 15:37

USO on Robin Williams' Death: 'He Will Be Sorely Missed'

Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams, 63, who died Monday in California, was also known for his work with the United Service Organization, a nonprofit that works to lift the spirits of U.S. troops. In this role, Williams performed for American troops stationed in Afghanistan, Iraq and, in one of his most memorable appearances, in Kuwait.

The USO expressed its condolences in a Facebook post Monday night, echoing the grief felt by many upon hearing the news of Williams' tragic death: " He will always be a part of our USO family and will be sorely missed," the statement read.

Williams died in his residence in Tiburon, California, in an apparent suicide, according to the Marin County Sheriff's Office.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 16:09 by latebloomer.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 12, 2014 15:43

mr_dja
dcba
Was he really that good?

[www.theguardian.com]

Yes we shall. You can feel free to tell us how wrong we are. I personally don't care what you say. I'm 45 years old and have my own opinions and views regardless of yours. I enjoyed his serious stuff as well as his silly stuff. If I want to laugh my butt off watching Aladin with my 7 year old nephew I will. And with or without your permission I'll continue to do so. Roll your eyes all you want.

Peace,
MR DJA

Agree 100%, MR DJA. And regardless, it shows amazingly poor taste to start bashing someone who has just died.

Drew

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 12, 2014 16:06

drewmaster
mr_dja
dcba
Was he really that good?

[www.theguardian.com]

Yes we shall. You can feel free to tell us how wrong we are. I personally don't care what you say. I'm 45 years old and have my own opinions and views regardless of yours. I enjoyed his serious stuff as well as his silly stuff. If I want to laugh my butt off watching Aladin with my 7 year old nephew I will. And with or without your permission I'll continue to do so. Roll your eyes all you want.

Peace,
MR DJA

Agree 100%, MR DJA. And regardless, it shows amazingly poor taste to start bashing someone who has just died.

Drew

DCBA only puts in a valid question, and has some reasonable arguments for it. No bashing there, imo.

The reaction to it from mr_dja is 100% emotional, because he takes it to a personal level: "Yes he should be considered a genius without a doubt because I LIKE HIM and I'm old enough to stand up for my beliefs." Phew...

And as for the (general) definition of "amazingly poor taste" goes: that's as unstable & volatile as the definition of a genius. Never EVER been impressed by the arm-length of that argument, btw... (I know it does wonders in totalitarian circles, though!)

It just goes to show once more that some people are better of next to the high horse than on it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 12, 2014 16:19

Come on, let's wait a while before you start criticizing his works. Use common sense. Don't be stupid. Show some respect for the dead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 17:41 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 16:23

[www.latimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-13 17:49 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 12, 2014 16:46

RoughJusticeOnYa
drewmaster
mr_dja
dcba
Was he really that good?

[www.theguardian.com]

Peace,
MR DJA

Drew

DCBA only puts in a valid question, and has some reasonable arguments for it. No bashing there, imo.

The reaction to it from mr_dja is 100% emotional, because he takes it to a personal level: "Yes he should be considered a genius without a doubt because I LIKE HIM and I'm old enough to stand up for my beliefs." Phew...

And as for the (general) definition of "amazingly poor taste" goes: that's as unstable & volatile as the definition of a genius. Never EVER been impressed by the arm-length of that argument, btw... (I know it does wonders in totalitarian circles, though!)

It just goes to show once more that some people are better of next to the high horse than on it.

I'll thank you not to put words in quotes that I didn't type myself. Also, if you're attempting to use some sort of ESP to read my thoughts you've logged into the wrong Mr DJA. Your conclusions on this Mr DJA's statements are so far off base that I don't care to even explain them to you.

I'll stand corrected on the fact that I should not have used the word "we" in my reply. I only did so as it was in the post I was replying to. Apologies. Tell as many of his fans how wrong they were to appreciate his work as you possibly can. I will continue to hold him in high esteem regardless.

Over. Out.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:09

Mental depression is terrible. So sad.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:13

Stoneage
Come on, let's wait till the corpse has cooled down before you start criticizing his works. Use common sense. Don't be stupid. Show some respect for the dead.

Pretty crude how you don't like someone comment for being critical but you use the term "let's wait till the corpse has cooled down". Classless.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:31

dcba
Was he really that good?

[www.theguardian.com]

Watch Insomnia, One Hour Photo, World According to Garp, Good Morning, Vietnam and get back to me on that. He never had to make a movie and he would have been considered a genius just based on his standup. One of the most influential comedians of the last 40 years.

Date: August 12, 2014 17:46

JockinJive: You're right I used the wrong expression. It doesn't translate well into the word of English (English is not my first language). I apologize for that. It wasn't my intention to be crude in any way.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:50

Stoneage
JockinJive: You're right I used the wrong expression. It doesn't translate well into the word of English (English is not my first language). I apologize for that. It wasn't my intention to be crude in any way.

No problem. Classy of you to reply back. Thank you.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 12, 2014 18:17

Wasn't a big fan of his type of manic comedy, but I thought he was outstanding in Insomnia and One Hour Photo. He could play a dramatic role brilliantly.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:26

His masterpieces or really good films : Popeye / The world according Garp / Good morning Vietnam / The Adventures of Baron Mauchausen / Dead poets society / Awakenings / Fisherking / Hook / Toys / Mrs Doubtfire / Jumanji / The birdcage / Jack / Deconstructing Harry / Will hunting / What dreams may come / Doctor Patch / Jakob the liar / Bicentennial man / AI / One hour photo / Insomnia / ..............
.....Not bad at all !!!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:41

Shezeboss
His masterpieces or really good films : Popeye / The world according Garp / Good morning Vietnam / The Adventures of Baron Mauchausen / Dead poets society / Awakenings / Fisherking / Hook / Toys / Mrs Doubtfire / Jumanji / The birdcage / Jack / Deconstructing Harry / Will hunting / What dreams may come / Doctor Patch / Jakob the liar / Bicentennial man / AI / One hour photo / Insomnia / ..............
.....Not bad at all !!!

I thought he was great in Moscow On The Hudson.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:43

dcba
Was he really that good?

[www.theguardian.com]

I would say that about 70% of his movies were not my cup of tea, just standard comedy. But watching his better movies you could see he was a genius actor, in dramatic and comedic roles.
I think there are many very good actors that accept sub-par roles just for the paycheck... they need to keep working to feed their families too!
Maybe being typecast for average comedies contributed to his depression too.

Date: August 12, 2014 21:50

i guess i liked one of his more underrated movies because i haven't seen it mentioned here DEATH TO SMOOCHY

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: August 12, 2014 23:58

RoughJusticeOnYa
drewmaster
mr_dja
dcba
Was he really that good?

[www.theguardian.com]

Peace,
MR DJA

Drew

The movies were someone else's words. His true genius came through his stand-up and his improvisation skills, which were second to none.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 23:58 by andrewt.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 13, 2014 00:45

I was privileged to see him do his comedy act in person several years ago.

For anyone who likes Marc Maron's podcast, he is re-running his hour interview with Robin Williams from 2010.
From what I understand, that episode really made Maron's WTF podcast start to stand out from the pack.

Terry Gross of Fresh Air NPR re-played her piece with him from 2006 today also.

RIP Robin.

My two cents: Along with continuing struggles with sobriety and depression, and a tremendous talent, I think Williams has much in common with another recent suicide Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Both actors had signed up for roles they really didn't want to do, but took on for the money, such as here, the sequels to Doubtfire and so forth. Obviously seriously troubled gents, too bad.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2014 00:48

[www.nbcnews.com]

Robin Williams explains his life in two-minutes......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: huricane ()
Date: August 13, 2014 01:09

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 13, 2014 01:15

Rockman
[www.nbcnews.com]

Robin Williams explains his life in two-minutes......

Nice! TY, RM!

I wonder what the question was that Williams said that noone had ever asked before, something
about summing up his career? (Looked for it online, couldn't find it...)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 13, 2014 02:19

keefriffhard4life
i guess i liked one of his more underrated movies because i haven't seen it mentioned here DEATH TO SMOOCHY

thumbs up Always liked that one.

He had a bunch of cool movies. Jumanji is a nostalgic one for me. My little brother loved it and would always play it. So it takes me back to a cool time in my life.

Again, very sad and God bless his loved ones.

Date: August 13, 2014 02:50

Here's a link to The Stranglers website. JJ Burnell writes about his friendship with Robin. Never knew.

[www.thestranglers.net]

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 13, 2014 05:00

He made me, and millions more, laugh. Good enuff for me.

Date: August 13, 2014 06:34

people who say robin just does disney/family mouvies should check his list of film roles the last 20 years. i counted 53 movies williams has appeared in during the last 20 years and maybe 10 are disney/family movies. a lot of them are more low key movies that got limited runs in the theater

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 13, 2014 06:44

One of his more daring and out there film projects was where he played a man falsely accused of being a child molester and murderer. At least I think it was him. I was one of only two people in the theater that day. Can't recall the title and can't find it listed among his IMDb credits.

Date: August 13, 2014 13:40

He is praised all over Swedish press today. By actors, who have played with him, and by every film critic there is. And he is not only admired for his career but also for the person he was.
Warm, intelligent and with self-distance. And the span of his talent: He did film, tv and comedy with great success. Of course, when you have such a large output, some things were better than others.
But that comes without saying. It's a sad loss that he is not longer with us.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 13, 2014 14:00

It is very sad. He was a fantastic actor. It is tragic that he did not find a way deal with his Problems. Thankyou, Robin Williams, R.I.P..

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home