Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Slave
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 5, 2019 23:01

Slave and Time Waits for No One are the 2 greatest Stones tracks never played live. What a pity.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2019 23:04

ba-dump
ba-dump
ba-ba-pa-ba-pa
bada-bump
ba-dump

Re: Slave question
Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 6, 2019 02:28

GasLightStreet
harlem shuffle
GasLightStreet
Do you really think they have sold 4million copies because of Slave?You called me an idiot,you are a stupid clovn
harlem shuffle
Slave is another boring piece.Not many people want,s this one played in a concert
Another stupid comments from the faboulos gas light street,talk about stupid name,think of yours.A clown who thinks every word he speak is the real truth,that clown thinks he is the visest man on earth.
The idiot wind blows.

A lot of casual fans have TATTOO YOU, it's sold over 4 million copies in the US alone. It would blow a lot of minds if they played Slave.

Hey stupid clown, I said the idiot wind blows. Which I was correct about.

Learn how to read, as well as quote - and understand facts, if you can. How you invented TATTOO YOU selling 4 million copies because of Slave is beyond idiotic.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2019 02:46

I don't mind people arguing but at least get your quotes right. Who's saying what here?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2019 02:52

treaclefingers
ba-dump
ba-dump
ba-ba-pa-ba-pa
bada-bump
ba-dump

Isn't it more like:

Bap-da-bap
Da-ba-da-ba-da-ba-da
bap-da-bap
da-ba-da/ da-ba-da

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 6, 2019 10:04

Stoneage
I don't mind people arguing but at least get your quotes right. Who's saying what here?

I think it would be more or less like the following

harlem shuffle
GasLightStreet
harlem shuffle
GasLightStreet
harlem shuffle
Slave is another boring piece.Not many people want,s this one played in a concert

The idiot wind blows
A lot of casual fans have TATTOO YOU, it's sold over 4 million copies in the US alone. It would blow a lot of minds if they played Slave.
Do you really think they have sold 4million copies because of Slave?You called me an idiot,you are a stupid clovn

Learn how to read, as well as quote - and understand facts, if you can. How you invented TATTOO YOU selling 4 million copies because of Slave is beyond idiotic.
Another stupid comments from the faboulos gas light street,talk about stupid name,think of yours.A clown who thinks every word he speak is the real truth,that clown thinks he is the visest man on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-06 10:05 by Witness.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 6, 2019 11:47

Rip This
Slave and Time Waits for No One are the 2 greatest Stones tracks never played live.

Yup one has Keef written all over it = it's badass hard as a rock and it's as fresh as it was in 75.
The other one has MT written all over it = it's dated, meek and it reeks of 70's prog-rock.

Date: August 6, 2019 13:07

harlem shuffle
GasLightStreet
harlem shuffle
GasLightStreet
harlem shuffle
The idiot wind blows.

I have a good advice for you, harlem shuffle: cheer up!

Shooting down good, long-time posters in every post won't do you no good. Join the community and contribute, instead of fighting it.

Just a friendly tip.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 6, 2019 16:18

dcba
Yup one has Keef written all over it = it's badass hard as a rock and it's as fresh as it was in 75.
The other one has MT written all over it = it's dated, meek and it reeks of 70's prog-rock.

Prog-rock seems a bit far-fetched. I also think that Time Waits For Noone is a great song musically, and the lyrics are definitely better than the Slave lyrics. TWFNO depends on well-played guitar parts and I'd rather think that that's where problems may come in.

As for being dated, She's A Rainbow has 60s stamped all over it and sounds as dated today as many/most songs from the 60s (not restricted to Stones songs) and still they play it. Also, there's nothing wrong with songs that sound like the time when they were written.

Date: August 6, 2019 16:24

And Keith certainly made his mark on TWFNO as well: the short solos in Dm/Am/F/C, and the back up vocals on the choruses. + all the "pings" with the hifly-stuff.

It's not prog. More like a mid-tempo latin-tinged ballad.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 6, 2019 19:50

TWFNO reminds me of Miracles by Jefferson Starship.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 6, 2019 19:54

ryanpow

I never made that connection, but can hear it now as both definitely have a drifting/dreamlike quality to them - love them both. thumbs up

Date: August 6, 2019 20:04

I wonder if that song influenced Mick when he wrote TWFNO, either consciously or subconsciously.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 6, 2019 20:21

Stoneage

That mo doesn't know.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 6, 2019 20:56

I recall reading that the Stones has a guest in the studio when they were recording this track...the guest didn’t play on the track, but the Stones wanted to impress or show off a little.

The rumored studio visitor....

Mr Jeff Beck

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: August 6, 2019 21:35

I believe Pete Townsend Joined Back Up Vocals.. May have been mentioned already in this thread.

edited... Yep he's listed on the first post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-06 21:35 by ryanpow.

Date: August 7, 2019 04:51

Stoneage
treaclefingers
ba-dump
ba-dump
ba-ba-pa-ba-pa
bada-bump
ba-dump

Isn't it more like:

Bap-da-bap
Da-ba-da-ba-da-ba-da
bap-da-bap
da-ba-da/ da-ba-da

no...you're wrong

Date: August 7, 2019 05:20

Do-it
do-it
do-it
do-it
Do-aaaaaat!

Date: August 7, 2019 05:21

harlem shuffle
Well Harlem Shuffle is anyhow much better Than Slave
treaclefingers
harlem shuffle

says the poster with the 'hit single' off Dirty Work as a moniker.

Heresy....do you even own any Rolling Stones music?!

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 7, 2019 14:09

Are you asking me treaclefingers?Well i have all original Stonesalbums,some compilations,some soloalbums,Keith,Ron,Mick.Some singles,some ep,s.Lots of bootlegs,lots of live dvd,s+ t-shirts other Stones stuff.So what do you wanna now?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 7, 2019 14:56

peeps talking about the difficulties in playing Slave live...not buying it....QOTSA does an amazing job with a groove track....Can't tell me the Stones can't do same or better with Slave....[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 7, 2019 15:17

treaclefingers
Stoneage
treaclefingers
ba-dump
ba-dump
ba-ba-pa-ba-pa
bada-bump
ba-dump

Isn't it more like:

Bap-da-bap
Da-ba-da-ba-da-ba-da
bap-da-bap
da-ba-da/ da-ba-da

no...you're wrong

Right there with the ba dap hits, but the last line goes more like
"Doi -dee, doi-dee"

Date: August 7, 2019 15:35

The version with Keith AND Ronnie was interesting, but in the end I think they released the best version.

Date: August 7, 2019 15:41

ryanpow

I hope I can un-remember that notion asap.

Date: August 8, 2019 01:59

Palace Revolution 2000
ryanpow

LOL, I'm glad I could create that ear worm for you .... I like both songs btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-08 01:59 by ryanpow.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 8, 2019 05:41

ryanpow

Couldn't remember Miracles eye popping smiley and checked it out on Youtube. Similar vibe but very different music. But, funnily, what Miracles reminded me of was Scarborough Fair in the Sergio Mendez version (the strings) ...

Date: August 8, 2019 13:54

ryanpow
Palace Revolution 2000
ryanpow

LOL, I'm glad I could create that ear worm for you .... I like both songs btw.

smiling smiley I have this odd dislike of Grace Slick; she always sound like this box that someone turns on at the start of a song, and it just tunelessly yodels on with no regard for dynamics, verses. And it seemed like Balin went more and more another route to balance that out, and he ended up in syrup.
But e.g. "Caroline" (is that what it's called?) is a better effort IMO.
The absolute best track of anything Jefferson is the live version on "It's no Secret".

Date: August 9, 2019 01:57

Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Stoneage
treaclefingers
ba-dump
ba-dump
ba-ba-pa-ba-pa
bada-bump
ba-dump

Isn't it more like:

Bap-da-bap
Da-ba-da-ba-da-ba-da
bap-da-bap
da-ba-da/ da-ba-da

no...you're wrong

Right there with the ba dap hits, but the last line goes more like
"Doi -dee, doi-dee"

Doi-dee?!

We're talking Rolling Stones in this thread, not Beatles.

This ain't no O Bla Di O Bla Da!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 9, 2019 02:50

Beck was present for the original track at Musicland in 1975. Pete Townshend visited Mick in the studio when he was cutting vocals. The version with Pete singing back-up was not used. It might not even be the proper "Slave" lyric, but the alternate "Ride a Wave" lyric.

Yes, I'm stating only what I believe to be fact. It's not meant to be definitive.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 9, 2019 02:56

DandelionPowderman
Shooting down good, long-time posters in every post won't do you no good. Join the community and contribute, instead of fighting it.

Just a friendly tip.

If you stop taking GasLight to heart, you'll find he's every bit as much fun as treaclefingers. You'll never make it to the heavyweights with lem or stan if you can't learn to laugh with folks here and not take reactions so seriously. All of these guys are smart, funny, knowledgeable, and opinionated. Stand your ground, but have good humor and everyone will loosen up with you. I say this as someone who embarrassed themselves with more than a few temper tantrums in the past. It's a good place and there's room for everyone in the family.

And yes, I still miss Revvy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home