Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: The 5 worst Stones albums
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 1, 2014 15:44

More Hot Rocks
KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Dirty Work
Some Girls
Satanic Majesty

...and so 'Some girls' would be one of the 5 worst Stones album. Yes, it's definitely an album worse than ABB and BTB. eye popping smiley

At least I know that Gloom and Doom/One More Shot and Keys to your love/Losing My Touch aren't albums.

...those are awful new songs of two album-compilations.
We all know that 'Some Girls' is one of their 5 worst album. I think all of Stones fans are agree with you eye rolling smiley

Date: August 1, 2014 15:51

The one-man SG crusade soldiers on! Hey, opinions are like... yeah, you know...

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 1, 2014 15:57

KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Dirty Work
Some Girls
Satanic Majesty

...and so 'Some girls' would be one of the 5 worst Stones album. Yes, it's definitely an album worse than ABB and BTB. eye popping smiley

At least I know that Gloom and Doom/One More Shot and Keys to your love/Losing My Touch aren't albums.

We all know that 'Some Girls' is one of their 5 worst album. I think all of Stones fans are agree with you eye rolling smiley

I'm not a fan of SG either. Way over rated. Stay with they topic. The post is albums not tracks.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:25

I accept Some Girls as an essential Rolling Stones album but it still doesn't do that much for me either.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:42

IrisC
I have to question if some of you are actually Stones fans! Tattoo You? Ya yas please. Listen to them again.

Also for me some albums are weaker than others, not necessarily the same as your nominated ones, for instance. If I thought every studio album from the Stones was on the same level, nothing would be more remarkable than everything else that they have done.

But, of course, I live very well with your possible verdict that I cannot be a Stones fan. I am content with my view that I consider eleven official studio albums from the Rolling Stones as great, more or less, UNDERCOVER as the latest one. And, besides, that I look upon their two latest studio albums as verging on the semi-great.

Additional remark: The controversial suggestion I introduced, to make clear my own responsibility, fully knowing it to be controversial and, of course, pleased by doing so, was TATTOO YOU, put forth five times. (Instead, I could have made four other and more ordinary suggestions, in addition to that one, but I am not so keen on making negative lists.)

Edit 1: Only correction of an irritating language error.
Edit 2: The additional remark.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-01 19:27 by Witness.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:49

RockinJive
KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Dirty Work
Some Girls
Satanic Majesty

I'm not a fan of SG either. Way over rated. Stay with they topic. The post is albums not tracks.

1. A Bigger Bang
2. GRRR (new songs)
3. Bridge to Babylon
4. Forty Licks (new songs)
5. Undercover

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:49

limited to 5 studio albums only.

in no particular order except dirtywork which is the worst of all.

1. dirtywork
2. rolling stones no 2
3. black and blue
4. emotional rescue
5. bridges to babylon

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 1, 2014 16:51

KRiffhard
RockinJive
KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Dirty Work
Some Girls
Satanic Majesty

hold your breath Rockinjive. This guy just doesn't get it.

1. A Bigger Bang
2. GRRR (new songs)
3. Bridge to Babylon
4. Forty Licks (new songs)
5. Undercover

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 1, 2014 17:37

Oh fellas get a room.

He's being off topic. Ignore it if it bugs you.

I find it weird ppl put Tattoo, SG, Majesties, Yayas on their lists too but it's just opinion.

I could loathe Sticky Fingers and still be a huge Stones fan. Albeit off my rocker grinning smiley

Point is nobody should be bothered by it or certainly judgemental about it.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 1, 2014 18:07

- Bridges to Babylon (Are they the Stones?!?)
- Dirty work (Production, mix, drums sound and Mick vocals:simply dreadful!!)

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: August 1, 2014 19:41

1. A Bigger Bang
2. Dirty Work
3. Voodoo Lounge
4. Bridge to Babylon
5. It's only Rock n Roll

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 1, 2014 21:22

matxil
71Tele
Between the Button is another one that mystifies me as a choice for anyone's "worst" list. Great pop songwriting, adventurous arrangements, lots of Keith singing. There are so many more "worse" albums one can choose.

They're so obviously trying to sound like the Beatles, that's just cringeworthy. I have nothing against pop as long as it's not self-conscious and faking something that isn't there. I like Aftermath, also pop, but still somehow "their thing" at that time. Plus, that one indeed has good song writing. On Buttons, all songs are embarrassing and uninspired: "let's try this, it's a bit freaky, just like the Beatles would have done it." The same goes for the arrangements: medieval and exotic instruments were all the hype at that time, but that only works when you have good songs (that's why on Aftermath, the special instruments did work).

I get your logic, but still don't see how it's worse than all the post-Bill albums, where they are basically trying to copy the Rolling Stones, except without the great songwriting.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 2, 2014 02:15

buttons is a great album.

the stones were always more than just a band that played rock or blues.

its called being diverse, something that helped to make the stones what they became.

they were more diverse than the beatles could ever be, a lot of non stones fans dont seem to realize this.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2014 02:24

a lot of non stones fans dont seem to realize this.

and a lotta hard-core Stones fans don't seem ta realize this either ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 2, 2014 04:53

DIRTY WORK, UNDERCOVER, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, SOME GIRLS & METAMORPHOSIS.

Date: August 2, 2014 04:58

I read the comments on TSMR, 2000 light years and man, She's a rainbow, The Lantern, they are all okay, good and maybe great to some but it's sort of like if I want that kind of song, maybe I'll listen to Pink Floyd and the other side of the coin is, if I'm wanting to listen to Rock 'n' Roll, I won't be putting Pink Floyd on as much. Different nuances.

Date: August 2, 2014 05:03

Rockman
a lot of non stones fans dont seem to realize this.

and a lotta hard-core Stones fans don't seem ta realize this either ....

+1

a lot of other fans feel like they need to disparage The Beatles all the time when they talk about the Stones. If The Beatles were so bad, why were the Stones always trying to follow in their footsteps, and why do we see an adoring Mick Jagger in so many photos of Beatle sessions?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 2, 2014 05:09

buttons67
buttons is a great album.

the stones were always more than just a band that played rock or blues.

its called being diverse, something that helped to make the stones what they became.

they were more diverse than the beatles could ever be, a lot of non stones fans dont seem to realize this.

Totally agree. Dan Aykroyd's introduction tells it all.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 2, 2014 05:13

Witness
DandelionPowderman
I love 'em all, too, but five albums can still be worse than others smiling smiley

If not outright love all, to some extent positively appreciate them all. In part, therefore in the said spirit, but also provoked by negative attitudes towards my many favourites, I wish to take out mý reaction a little more onesidedly than it actually is:

TATTOO YOU!
TATTOO YOU!!
TATTOO YOU!!!
TATTOO YOU!!!!
TATTOO YOU!!!!!

Maybe I shall present my real list of five, after all, here it goes. (I exclude METAMORPHOSIS as not the band's own issue.)

TATTOO YOU
and then chronologically in between them
IORR
BLACK & BLUE
DIRTY WORK
STEEL WHEELS

Date: August 2, 2014 05:25

I'll speak up for Metamorphosis, it seems most people like to take the tidbits via '68-'69. It's definitely one disc I searched out to make sure I had.

In a nutshell, the original Rolling Stone review got it pretty right on as far as how I see it, for a more detailed analysis, the songs:

(Oh and let's just say, if you like the "Pop" Stones, I think Metamorphosis is pretty strong).

1. Out of Time, okay, this is a demo I hear, still, another take of a great song.
2. Don't you lie to me, classic, first heard the Flamin' Groovies do this, so this is the one straight ahead rock 'n' roller like when they covered "Round and Round", fine song. Good ol' r 'n' r keyboards too.
3. Some things stick in your mind, not a fan of this.
4. Each and every day of the year, pre-Angie ballad, pretty good with the Latin horns.
5. Heart of Stone, not nearly as good as the original, a castoff but worthy.
6. I'd much rather be with the boys, fun song from their pop period or perhaps right before that period and recorded Feb. '65. Co-writers listed at all music guide is Andrew and Keith: [www.allmusic.com] , I don't always trust the crediting at that website.
7. Walkin' Through the Sleepy City - The Mighty Avengers version is positively great, the Stones' is fairly good as well. More of the Pop sound.
8. We're Wastin' Time - Okay, I don't really care for this one HOWEVER, of all things, listen to the Alvin and the Chipmunks' opening to their Christmas song, the opening of both songs to me sound very similar. That's a bit of a bizarre analogy but I think it still holds up.

All of the above songs are basically early Rolling Stones.

The second half seem closer to the LIB days:

9. I don't know why, it works well enough, nice take by the Stones.
10. If you let me, recorded during Between the Buttons and it sounds like it.
11. Jiving Sister Fanny. Another good song with Mick Taylor
12. Downtown Suzie, the Bill Wyman song is okay.
13. Family, Beggar's Banquet era and it sounds like it. Has to be a recommendation just in that.
14. Memo from Turner- I enjoy this version, not a big fan of the song to begin with.
15. I'm going down- As I've said before, this is a bit of an early version of Soul Survivor, SS being one of the Rolling Stones best songs imho.

So all in all, I think it's a good album. As a compilation, it really spans quite a time period and change in the Rolling Stones' music.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: August 2, 2014 05:38

71Tele
matxil
71Tele
Between the Button is another one that mystifies me as a choice for anyone's "worst" list. Great pop songwriting, adventurous arrangements, lots of Keith singing. There are so many more "worse" albums one can choose.

They're so obviously trying to sound like the Beatles, that's just cringeworthy. I have nothing against pop as long as it's not self-conscious and faking something that isn't there. I like Aftermath, also pop, but still somehow "their thing" at that time. Plus, that one indeed has good song writing. On Buttons, all songs are embarrassing and uninspired: "let's try this, it's a bit freaky, just like the Beatles would have done it." The same goes for the arrangements: medieval and exotic instruments were all the hype at that time, but that only works when you have good songs (that's why on Aftermath, the special instruments did work).

I get your logic, but still don't see how it's worse than all the post-Bill albums, where they are basically trying to copy the Rolling Stones, except without the great songwriting.

Oddly, I feel only Steel Wheels sounds like the Stones "trying to sound like the Stones." (OK, maybe a few VL tracks.)

They sounded really stiff on that tour too (got progressively looser again on successive tours) - so there goes the Bill is God theory. tongue sticking out smiley

It's not Beggars Banquet-grade (especially lyric-wise), but I like a lot of the songwriting on Bridges and ABB.

Date: August 2, 2014 07:32

TimeIs
71Tele
matxil
71Tele

Oddly, I feel only Steel Wheels sounds like the Stones "trying to sound like the Stones." (OK, maybe a few VL tracks.)

They sounded really stiff on that tour too (got progressively looser again on successive tours) - so there goes the Bill is God theory. tongue sticking out smiley

It's not Beggars Banquet-grade (especially lyric-wise), but I like a lot of the songwriting on Bridges and ABB.

I just think they found their Vegas formula after Steel Wheels. Not sure how "loose" it was. Give me Bill over no Bill any day. It's the real deal Stones vs. something else.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2014 09:34

Of course this rating has to do with age. People around 65 tends to favor their early midsixties production; around 50 their late seventies and early eighties outlet; kids 40 or younger favor their nineties records.
There is a common denominator though: Most fans seems to appreciate the 68-72 era.

Date: August 2, 2014 15:37

It's hard because just for being a STONES album it is automAtically superb IMO. But of course there are some that are not as great as others.
I'd say
Dirty Work - has weak tracks on it; mainly because of session people. From the outtake boots we know that there were better songs kicked around.

Bigger Bang - is too long; and not enough Keith/Ronnie

Flashpoint and Still Life = both are perfunctory live albums with not much fire

All the late era Big Hits, esp. the new cuts on 40 Licks

Voodoo Lounge - also too long; is hampered by Don Was so obviously wanting to create a masterpiece, and trying to check every possible style and dept.; again from outtakes we know there was a great album possible

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2014 17:13

Should Dirty Work even be considered a Stones album? As I understand it it's Keith, Ronnie ans some session musicians with overlayd Jagger vocals on it.

Date: August 2, 2014 20:41

Stoneage
Should Dirty Work even be considered a Stones album? As I understand it it's Keith, Ronnie ans some session musicians with overlayd Jagger vocals on it.

By that measure I don't consider any album after Steel Wheels a true Stones album.

Date: August 2, 2014 20:44

Personally, I don't like any studio albums after Tattoo You, (excluding stripped).

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: August 2, 2014 22:27

1. Voodo Lounge
2. A Bigger Bang
3. Grrr with only a few new songs (uneccessary compilation)
4. 40 licks with only a few new songs(uneccessary compilation)
5. Shina A Light. Would have been bad to have this as the latest documentation of the band. So glad they proved themself different this tour

The first 2 suffers from the CD format, wuith about 60 mins of music. Too many fillers. Shortend to 35-40 minutes they would have been much better. Like the original Who Live At Leeds LP. The 7 best songs are on the first issue, the expanded version drags it down from 6 to 5 (or 4).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 2, 2014 23:44

Including hits comps and live albums...

Dirty Work
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Shine A Light
GRRRR
Steel Wheels

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: August 3, 2014 00:24

Bridges To Babylon
Dirty Work
No Stone Unturned
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Time Waits For No One

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1358
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home