Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Drift Away cover
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 30, 2014 18:54

Is there any story behind this cover?

To my knowledge it is still unreleased. I only have it cause I downloaded it years ago on Napster or something and it said it was a Stones with the Beatles cover. Any idea where that whole thing came from? There's no hint of the Beatles there but it was labeled that way everywhere I saw it.

Was it intended for an album? What year is from and who's playing on it? Had the song for years but realized I've never really had much information about it.

Re: Drift Away cover
Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 30, 2014 19:09

I always thought they were going to chose between that cover and "Aint too proud to beg"? Anyway, a great cover much better than "Uncle Kracker's".

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 30, 2014 19:10

Recorded in Munich in 1974 during sessions for "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll".
There are NO Beatles on this recording!
Nicky Hopkins on piano, Billy Preston on organ.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 19:12 by Deltics.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 30, 2014 19:11

Yes, thankfully no Beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 30, 2014 19:26

I always thought they should have released it. They did a nice job. Maybe an expanded deluxe IORR?

Date: July 30, 2014 19:35

Deltics
Recorded in Munich in 1974 during sessions for "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll".
There are NO Beatles on this recording!
Nicky Hopkins on piano, Billy Preston on organ.

The "fifth" fab winking smiley

Date: July 30, 2014 19:37

71Tele
I always thought they should have released it. They did a nice job. Maybe an expanded deluxe IORR?

It was a bit inferior to Dobie Gray's version, and too soon after his release?

It would have been cool to get the originally planned IORR, with covers on one side as a Deluxe release now, though.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 30, 2014 20:02

Although I had heard of it, I had never actually taken the time to actually track it down and listen to it. Pretty cool version. Nice (for me) that youtube's recomendation of other videos to watch included the John Henry Kurtz version which, I guess was the original version. I always thought Dobie Gray's version was the original. It was for me anyway. I'm going to have to listen to the Stones version a few more times to see how it grows on me. As of right now I'd have to say my order of preference for this song would be:

Dobie Gray
John Henry Kurtz
The Stones
New Version I haven't ever heard
Uncle Kracker

Personally I'm hoping I can go the rest of my life without ever hearing the Uncle Kracker version again. Part of me feels dirty just having to admit that it exists.

Edit to original post:
After hearing the version below, I'm thinking I may need to revise my list of favorites. Although the band's arangement isn't my favorite, there's something about Tina. She's long been one of my favorites but I'm thinking she just joined Sam Cooke and Allison Krause on my list of "People I'd Listen To Singing The Phone Book".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 22:31 by mr_dja.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: July 30, 2014 20:13

Rod "The Mod" Stewart covered it the next year, 1975, on his first post-Faces solo album, Atlantic Crossing. That version, nice though it is, doesn´t quite match the Stones version, let alone Dobie Grays´s.

Originally planned IORR with one side covers and the other originals?

That´s NEWS, as far as I´m concerned - and good news, hoping for the DeLuxe edition to see daylight one day.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: July 30, 2014 20:24

I actually dig the Uncle Kracker version. He's got a soulful voice.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 30, 2014 20:44

Somewhere a while back I saw a list of the songs supposedly given a run through for the covers side, but looking now, I don't know where I saw it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 30, 2014 20:59

Thanks for the info! Nice to finally know something about the song. They should release it in some format cause its really good and sounds natural.

Do all existing versions cut out at the end like mine does? It runs about 3:30 or so. Right after the "won't you take me, won't you take me" part.

Also, another version I've always enjoyed is Ringo's from his Vertical Man album (one of his few solo albums I enjoy).

Date: July 30, 2014 21:23

RollingFreak
Thanks for the info! Nice to finally know something about the song. They should release it in some format cause its really good and sounds natural.

Do all existing versions cut out at the end like mine does? It runs about 3:30 or so. Right after the "won't you take me, won't you take me" part.

Also, another version I've always enjoyed is Ringo's from his Vertical Man album (one of his few solo albums I enjoy).

No.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 30, 2014 21:24

I thought the original plan for IORR was live '73 tour on one side, studio on the other. Am I wrong?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 30, 2014 22:21

71Tele
I thought the original plan for IORR was live '73 tour on one side, studio on the other. Am I wrong?

You're right. At least there was a project like this planned as a quick follow-up to GHS. One side live '73 and one side covers, recorded "on the spot",live in the studio, the whole band actually playing together with as few overdubs (if any) as possible - "just like in the old days" on four or maximum eight track tape according to Keith. "Drift Away" is one artifact from this project that never came to life.

Date: July 30, 2014 22:46

71Tele

That's true. One side live, the other side with studio versions of covers.

Date: July 30, 2014 23:12

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

I'll take your word for it but it's the first time I've heard this.

Date: July 30, 2014 23:18

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

I'll take your word for it but it's the first time I've heard this.

It was posted here some years ago. Don't remember by whom, though. And I'm not 100% sure whether it was a live side or new material, in addition to the coverside.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 30, 2014 23:22

Dobie Gray had a huge hit with this song in 1973 (released in February) so I guess the Stones recorded later in 1973 so why should they release it ..they never covered well known or big hits..............

Date: July 30, 2014 23:28

From Wiki:

"The album was at first developed as a half-live, half-studio production with one side of the album featuring live performances from the Stones' European tour while the other side was to be composed of newly recorded cover versions of the band's favourite R&B songs. Covers recorded included a take of Dobie Gray's "Drift Away", Shirley & Company's "Shame, Shame, Shame", and The Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"."

Date: July 30, 2014 23:41

DandelionPowderman
From Wiki:

"The album was at first developed as a half-live, half-studio production with one side of the album featuring live performances from the Stones' European tour while the other side was to be composed of newly recorded cover versions of the band's favourite R&B songs. Covers recorded included a take of Dobie Gray's "Drift Away", Shirley & Company's "Shame, Shame, Shame", and The Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"."

Hmmm. Shirley & Company's "Shame, Shame, Shame" wasn't released until December 1974.
[www.45cat.com]
"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" was issued three months earlier.
As I recall, a version of Shame was recorded during the sessions for "Black And Blue" in 1975 with Jeff Beck.
I'm not aware of any other cover versions recorded during the IORR sessions.

Date: July 31, 2014 00:03

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
From Wiki:

Hmmm. Shirley & Company's "Shame, Shame, Shame" wasn't released until December 1974.
[www.45cat.com]
"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" was issued three months earlier.
As I recall, a version of Shame was recorded during the sessions for "Black And Blue" in 1975 with Jeff Beck.
I'm not aware of any other cover versions recorded during the IORR sessions.

Don't forget that information on wiki- is not 100% reliable. Depending on who posted the "facts" on wiki-, they could have been working off a song list and just assumed it was Shirley & Company's song the Stones had worked on when it could have just as easilly (and plausibly) been either Jimmy Reed's or Smiley Lewis's song of the same title. Is there a bootleg of the Stones doing "Shame, Shame, Shame" that could tell which version they used as their starting point?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 31, 2014 00:22

Keef in 1974:
Richard believes that the album's enthusiasm was due in part to the Stones' starting sessions just after two months on the road. "We were really hot and ready just to play some new material. We booked a couple of weeks, went in and cut about half the album with Billy Preston on keyboards. Then we split and came back again after Christmas for another two weeks, this time with Nicky Hopkins on piano, and by the end of those two weeks we'd cut enough tracks for the album plus half again. Then we had to choose which ones we were going to work on vocal-wise. So we made a short list of about 12 or 13 tracks and then in April, I came over to England to meet Mick and we finished off writing those that hadn't been completed lyric-wise, because a lot of them had been written in a very loose framework to start with – maybe just a chorus a hookline or something.

"You see, even when we're not actually in the studios nobody has actually forgotten about it . . . you're thinking about it all the time. You're at home listening to a rough cassette mix of it thinking how you want to put the whole song together because maybe you've got it on this very thin thread, maybe just a hookline, and you've got to expand the song in a particular way, both in the way you want it to go and in what you want to say. When you've got a certain kind of track only certain kinds of lyrics are going to fit that feel, that sound, so you've got to put it together. What's great is when they come together, when the lyrics and music all come at once. That's a joy but a lot of times it's really painstaking work.

"Then we got on and did the vocals and I left Mick for a couple of weeks to do his solo vocals, because he often comes up with his best stuff alone in the studio with just an engineer. Then he doesn't feel like he's hanging anybody up. While Mick was doing this I got a call from Ronnie Wood . . . "
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 00:53 by Deltics.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2014 00:49

just assumed it was Shirley & Company's song the Stones had worked on when it could have just as easilly (and plausibly) been either Jimmy Reed's or Smiley Lewis's song of the same title. Is there a bootleg of the Stones doing "Shame, Shame, Shame" that could tell which version they used as their starting point?

The Stones had a hack in the studio at the Shirley & Lee version back in 1975 ..
The Jimmy Reed version was played live in '63 and they had a a go at
it in the studio in 78 then later on they churned out a great live version at The Double Door gig in Chicago in 1997 .....
Never heard of them ever having a go at the Smiley Lewis version though

ROCKMAN

Date: July 31, 2014 02:26

Rockman
just assumed it was Shirley & Company's song the Stones had worked on when it could have just as easilly (and plausibly) been either Jimmy Reed's or Smiley Lewis's song of the same title. Is there a bootleg of the Stones doing "Shame, Shame, Shame" that could tell which version they used as their starting point?

The Stones had a hack in the studio at the Shirley & Lee version back in 1975 ..
The Jimmy Reed version was played live in '63 and they had a a go at
it in the studio in 78 then later on they churned out a great live version at The Double Door gig in Chicago in 1997 .....
Never heard of them ever having a go at the Smiley Lewis version though

I should have been able to predict that Rockman would have some clear insight! You mention that the Stones had a crack at the S&L version in'75. Any thoughts as to if they actually attempted a song with that title during the Only R&R sessions that the wiki- poster mentioned? In Deltics post they didn't seem to remember it. I have a feeling we're getting close to illustrating yet another example of the inaccuracies of Wiki-

Now it's time for me to start looking for a Stones version of the Jimmy Reed song... And wishing that they had also tried the Smiley Lewis version (I love that cut!)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 31, 2014 02:33

Yeah here ya go Mr DJA .....

An instrumental version of Shame Shame Shame (Sylvia.Robinson) Shirley And Company was recorded - Rotterdam Jan-Feb 1975 FOUND ON -- Could You Walk On The Water VGP-027

ROCKMAN

Date: July 31, 2014 02:47

Date: July 31, 2014 08:17

I wish I could remember the source (not Wiki)...

Shame Shame Shame is probably wrong.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2014 08:49

What goes for that live one side/covers other side album idea, I have read about it in some literature, but there is one interview album made during 1973 European tour (don't own it, just heard it once, it was released alongside a book), in which Jagger talks about it. Seemingly the idea was born during the tour they really were 'red and hot'. Anyway, Jagger also talks about a possible solo album (in which Taylor will participate too), so I don't know how serious that talk was - was he just throwing possible (crazy) ideas out loosely (and he doesn't sound too 'straight' either)... We have to remember that they tried to relaese a live album from 1972 tour already, but got into trouble with DECCA due to the rights of some songs. Was the things any different in 1973/74 yet?

The only outcome of this odd project seemed to be the songs discussed in this thread plus the Brussels(/London) show radio broadcast in 1974 (into which Jagger seemingly contributed rather much).

In some book I recall the cover/live album project being rejected because they (Mick and Keith) came up with so many new originals that it wouldn't have made much sense. If true, that seem to imply that there might have had certain problems in the creativity department in some point...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-31 09:03 by Doxa.

Date: July 31, 2014 11:15

Another reason might have been that it took forever to make IORR. The idea was probably not as cool when it matured with time...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1393
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home