Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drift Away cover
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 31, 2014 18:48

Dobie Gray does a great cover of Dr. Hook's "Sharing The Night Together". No kidding!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 22, 2020 04:05

I absolutely love their cover of this song. I really wish they released it on IORR. Does anyone know if that's Keith playing both guitars?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 22, 2020 04:50

JordyLicks96
I absolutely love their cover of this song. I really wish they released it on IORR. Does anyone know if that's Keith playing both guitars?

I think so. I’m pretty sure they recorded it during the early sessions before Taylor got there.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 22, 2020 04:52

I’m probably a minority, but I can’t stand that song.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 22, 2020 05:56

Koen

I can't stand the Stones version of it, but I've always had a soft spot for the Dobie Gray version - brings back lots of memories of being glued to the radio when I was a kid.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 22, 2020 07:46

Hairball
Koen

I can't stand the Stones version of it, but I've always had a soft spot for the Dobie Gray version - brings back lots of memories of being glued to the radio when I was a kid.

I couldn't agree more. Well put.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 22, 2020 09:26

It would not surprise me if it will be included on Goat's Deluxe. It's finished, doesn't require lots of work except maybe mixing and historical accuracy? Phhh... Think about Claudine, Tallahassie Lassie and We Had It All on SG Deluxe...
Love the song, love their version, always did.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 22, 2020 15:13

Cover songs are great. Listening to a musician interpreting someone else song put the listener in a special emotional state. We recognize the song but it is different. I personally like that vibe. Lately I have fallen for Lana Del Ray cover of Summertime; she calls it Doing Time. Fantastic rendition of that classic song.The first time I heard on the radio, I didn't know what it was. It sounded familiar(Janis) but different very modern and cool. It took me a while to make the connection between the "old" and the "new". That is what a good cover song does; it brings things together.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 22, 2020 15:41

If it’s on GHS reissue, I’d actually release it as a single. I think it would actually get some good airplay but what do I know?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 22, 2020 15:53

retired_dog
It would not surprise me if it will be included on Goat's Deluxe. It's finished, doesn't require lots of work except maybe mixing and historical accuracy? Phhh... Think about Claudine, Tallahassie Lassie and We Had It All on SG Deluxe...

It was recorded in Munich in 1974 during sessions for "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 22, 2020 18:18

Sure it lacks the soulfulness of the Dobie Gray version, but I still find it very good. I think it could have been a modest for them had it been released at the time.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 23, 2020 07:12

Deltics
retired_dog

It was recorded in Munich in 1974 during sessions for "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll".

Of course, but that would not prevent them from including it on GHS Deluxe as the tracks I've mentioned were also not from the Some Girls sessions!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 24, 2020 02:46

Look at the documented studio work they did for IORR and it becomes clear, to me, anyway, that this 'original idea' was just that, an idea: the 2 covers recorded for IORR were full on studio recordings, not some live-in-the-studio thing.

There was a GOLDMINE magazine years ago about BLACK AND BLUE that talked a little bit about the live/covers idea (and TATTOO YOU). I think that's where I originally found out about it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home