Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Keith and his guitar sound
Posted by: TRS ()
Date: July 26, 2014 03:07

A lot of people have commented (including myself) on Chuck Levall piano tinker plink piano playing gives the Stones a Vegas like sound. What about Keith and his guitar tone? It is been a clean Styrofoam kinda sound, since 1986
He needs to get it dirty.

P'S - Chuck piano still is the main offender no pun intended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-26 03:31 by TRS.

Re: Keith and his guitar sound
Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 26, 2014 03:12

I never get tired of watching this clip, Düsseldorf '07 - the person was standing directly in front of Keith's amp:

Dirty enough for ya? smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-26 04:36 by Milan.

Posted by: TRS ()
Date: July 26, 2014 03:24

Milan
I never get tired of watching this clip, Düsseldorf '07 - the person was standing directly in front of Keith's amp:

Uh ummm yeah maybe not that dirty

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 26, 2014 03:39

Current tone: Too clean
1975-76: Too distorted
1969-73: Just right

Date: July 26, 2014 10:22

TRS
A lot of people have commented (including myself) on Chuck Levall piano tinker plink piano playing gives the Stones a Vegas like sound. What about Keith and his guitar tone? It is been a clean Styrofoam kinda sound, since 1986
He needs to get it dirty.

P'S - Chuck piano still is the main offender no pun intended.

His sound IS dirty. It was a bit cleaner on the UJ and VL tours, though.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 26, 2014 10:35

Milan
I never get tired of watching this clip, Düsseldorf '07

Arggh... Germany + 2007 tour = never again. confused smiley
There should be a rule at IORR to ban the posting of material related to that era.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 26, 2014 15:53

Milan

Awful thumbs down

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 26, 2014 15:54

Keef and XPensiveWinos...this is the best sound:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 26, 2014 16:02

For Dirty guitar-tones for real...check out Johnny Thunders....and J Mascis...

2 1 2 0

Date: July 26, 2014 16:10

KRiffhard
Milan

Awful thumbs down

Echo is a bitch.

Date: July 26, 2014 18:20

Yup... it gets worse for the next song (same taper), around 2:00 min is in synch again:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-26 18:27 by Milan.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 26, 2014 20:38

Milan

LOL holy cow that was bad.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 26, 2014 22:51

Those Fender Twins just don't cut through that well......

Date: July 26, 2014 22:59

Similar example here, Warsaw '07, the taper is right in front of Keith's amps:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-27 20:02 by Milan.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 27, 2014 03:03

Keith's current live sound is awesome.

I also really like his studio sound. I have heard that he plays through small vintage tube amps like a Champ but to me I hear a creamy distortion on songs like "Monkey Man". Sounds smoother than a cranked tube amp. Anyone know if he used a pedal and which one(s) for the dirty sound on that song and songs like Saint of Me? I'm almost thinking a RAT but never heard of him using one. Doesn't sound like a Ibanez Tube Screamer to me.

Date: July 27, 2014 03:13

beachbreak

I also really like his studio sound. I have heard that he plays through small vintage tube amps like a Champ but to me I hear a creamy distortion on songs like "Monkey Man". Sounds smoother than a cranked tube amp. Anyone know if he used a pedal and which one(s) for the dirty sound on that song and songs like Saint of Me? I'm almost thinking a RAT but never heard of him using one. Doesn't sound like a Ibanez Tube Screamer to me.

His recording technique has changed dramatically from the Monkey Man days. He used to use bigger amps in the studio. I generally didn't like that cold sound on the Let Bleed album, but it was very effective on Gimme Shelter. Not so good on the studio version of Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 27, 2014 17:46

beachbreak

Keith does not play on Saint Of Me. Its all Woody and Waddy Wachtel.

Posted by: GoinSteady ()
Date: July 27, 2014 17:57

Come On
For Dirty guitar-tones for real...check out Johnny Thunders....and J Mascis...

Yeah-the Fender Twins aint the problem-theyre just not being driven hard enough. Personally i think they sound much better with LP Juniors/Specials through them. Johnny Thunders got a great sound with that combination-Keith has favoured the'only just breaking up' sound since Steel Wheels.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: July 27, 2014 20:00

2007 was a low point for Keith. He has recovered nicely since then, but I still generally hate the sound of him on the semi-hollows via tweed Twins. Borderline unlistenable.

Date: July 27, 2014 21:42

Mel Belli
2007 was a low point for Keith. He has recovered nicely since then, but I still generally hate the sound of him on the semi-hollows via tweed Twins. Borderline unlistenable.

Nearness Of You, Let It Bleed and Neighbours frome Four Flicks are borderline unlistenable?

The twins were cranked a bit more than usual on the BB-tour, though.

The thing about the twins is that they in some way get more of the guitar's sound come through than, say Boogies, imo. The Strat sound Keith gets (Thru And Thru, Miss You, THSMLI) is spectacular.

Date: July 27, 2014 22:14

DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

Nearness Of You, Let It Bleed and Neighbours frome Four Flicks are borderline unlistenable?

The twins were cranked a bit more than usual on the BB-tour, though.

The thing about the twins is that they in some way get more of the guitar's sound come through than, say Boogies, imo. The Strat sound Keith gets (Thru And Thru, Miss You, THSMLI) is spectacular.

True-a lot of character and true sound from a fender amp but if fender guitars are going through them its not really,imo,a great sound for rock n roll. If you're James Burton or Don Rich on the other hand.........

Date: July 27, 2014 22:19

I love Fenders but I agree that the Twins combined with trebly single-coil Teles and Strats are not the best sounds, as they sort of just reinforce the guitar sound (good and bad) rather than combine with it to create a great overall tone, as they did with the Ampegs. Even when Keith plays the Gibson 335 it ends up too bright, when that guitar should have more color. The Boogies added just enough overdrive to the Telecaster to beef it up. Of course, this is my personal taste.

Date: July 27, 2014 23:10

Yeah the boogies and ampegs really suited Keith-his sound 75-83 was always great.
The twins are almost too pure for the way he plays these days.

Date: July 28, 2014 00:25

71Tele
I love Fenders but I agree that the Twins combined with trebly single-coil Teles and Strats are not the best sounds, as they sort of just reinforce the guitar sound (good and bad) rather than combine with it to create a great overall tone, as they did with the Ampegs. Even when Keith plays the Gibson 335 it ends up too bright, when that guitar should have more color. The Boogies added just enough overdrive to the Telecaster to beef it up. Of course, this is my personal taste.

I learned this the hard way myself after I started using Fender amps. All of a sudden, my Tele sounded like shit - compared to through my HiWatt.

Fender clean sound is unbeatable, though. The AB-box became my solution smiling smiley

Date: July 28, 2014 01:08

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

I learned this the hard way myself after I started using Fender amps. All of a sudden, my Tele sounded like shit - compared to through my HiWatt.

Fender clean sound is unbeatable, though. The AB-box became my solution smiling smiley

Agree, DP. I never play my Tele through a Fender amp. I play a stock Tele through a '65 Magnatone, and use a Boss pedal for extra overdrive if needed. Simple set-up, but very effective,.

Date: July 28, 2014 01:15

It's the combination of guitar/amp/player/pedal(s) that make a great guitar sound. Example: Pete Townshend's electric guitar sound on Who's Next is one of the best ever. It's a Gretsch Chet Atkins through a '59 Fender Bandmaster and a pedal steel volume pedal. Classic. Keith's recent sound is a Telecaster on the treble pickup through a Fender amp (also with lots of treble). It cuts through like the proverbial blade, but I don't think it's the best tone for most Stones material.

Date: July 28, 2014 01:31

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Agree, DP. I never play my Tele through a Fender amp. I play a stock Tele through a '65 Magnatone, and use a Boss pedal for extra overdrive if needed. Simple set-up, but very effective,.

I use a Tube Screamer for that extra grit, if I'm not using the AB box.

Date: July 28, 2014 01:32

71Tele
It's the combination of guitar/amp/player/pedal(s) that make a great guitar sound. Example: Pete Townshend's electric guitar sound on Who's Next is one of the best ever. It's a Gretsch Chet Atkins through a '59 Fender Bandmaster and a pedal steel volume pedal. Classic. Keith's recent sound is a Telecaster on the treble pickup through a Fender amp (also with lots of treble). It cuts through like the proverbial blade, but I don't think it's the best tone for most Stones material.

Pete didn't use HiWatts at all for WN???

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 28, 2014 02:38

71Tele
I never play my Tele through a Fender amp. I play a stock Tele through a '65 Magnatone, and use a Boss pedal for extra overdrive if needed. Simple set-up, but very effective,.

My Tele sounds amazing through my Tweed Deluxe amp. And no pedals needed smiling smiley

Date: July 28, 2014 02:41

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Pete didn't use HiWatts at all for WN???

No, just onstage...'59 Fender Bandmaster with a Gretsch. Try it!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home