Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Prog Rock
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 11, 2005 16:46

I can't help it. For some reason lately I have been listening to all this Euro prog Rock from the 70's. I am loving it. And I'm not even talking about the "cool" bands like Can. I love Genesis with Peter Gabriel. Still think that "Supper's ReadY", "Musical Box", "The Knife", "Dancing out with the Moonlit Knight" and all of "Lamb on Broadway" is some great stuff. Then I love the guitarsolo of Steve Howe on Yessongs on the Live version of "Perpetual Change"; it makes so much sense. Right now I am embarrassed to admit I have "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull in the headphones. Does anyone else listen to this stuff?

PS Actually the CD just changed and I got Arcade Fire doing "Neighborhood I"

Re: OT: Prog Rock
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 11, 2005 17:12

You should check out Caravan. (Whom Genesis used to support in their early days).

And, selectively, ELP and Van Der Graaf Generator.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 11, 2005 17:20

Thanks Four Stone. Van der Graaf is a great idea. Don't know Caravan. For a minute I thought you meant Camel. They were somebody...
AAARGGHH!! No ELP!!! No never never LOL The funniest piece of music ever "written" is the synth solo by Keith Emerson on "Lucky Man"; it's so bad it is funny.

Date: June 11, 2005 20:06

Some of "Trilogy" is worth a go. Especially Greg Lake's "In The Beginning". (Or is it "From the Beginning"?). Totally tasteful. I've forgotten most of the rest!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 11, 2005 20:42

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't help it. For some reason lately I have
> been listening to all this Euro prog Rock from the
> 70's. I am loving it. And I'm not even talking
> about the "cool" bands like Can.
---
Right now I am embarrassed to admit I have
"Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull in the
headphones.

Does anyone else listen to this stuff?

Absolutely. Glad to be on a similar wavelength.
I wouldnt classify Tull as prog though; for me its
m,ot a folkrockband with some progressive influences*.

My fav prog bands/solo artists:

1.Omega (H) - you should really check them out!!! **
2.Pink Floyd
3.Bo Hansson (S) Lord of the Rings, 1970-74, sold gold in UK
4.King Crimson
5.Exception (NL)
6.Kebnekajse (S) * could be classified as Tull
7. Solaris (H)
8. East (H)
9. Hansson & Karlsson (S) - Bo Hansson above
10.Jethro Tull * with that reservation above

** At Omega´s web site you can
hear all official released songs (see link below)
in digital remixes. These guys are engineers most of them
and sound-fetischists...
.........Note this band has been playing as long as the Stones!!
But some staff changes along the 60´s; since 1971-72 its the same geezers...

... I recommend these songs for starters - at [www.omega.hu]
(click in alphabetical order... !!)

A Szamüzött; Bíbor Lady; Ébredés (=Awakening; No 1 in the "Suite" one of the most beautiful songs ever written by a human being); Éjféli Concert; Gammapolis I & II; Hajnal a város felett (=Wolf Hours Over the City); Gyöngyhajú lány (older mega-hit, from 1969); Metamorfózis I & II; Mózgó Vílág (one of my absolute fav´s with Omega); Szvit 1. tétel: Ébredés; Szvit 2. tétel: A malomban; Szvit 3. tétel: Hazafelé; Szvit 4. tétel: A hetedik napon; Szvit 5. tétel: Délutáni szerelem; Szvit 6. tétel: Van, aki nyugtalan; Utazás a szürke folyón (smart & surprising); Az éjszakai országúton (60´s smasher, pop gold).

...Most of the heavy & good stuff are also recorded (in Germany) with English texts, if you wanna understand the lyrics.

Posted by: millerman ()
Date: June 11, 2005 21:57

I'm with u ChealseDrugsore. i have all the old albums with Jethro T, Yes, Genesis and ELO (but ELO isn'that prog anyway)

great stuff I think

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 12, 2005 01:32

Why not check out the italian band PFM? You won't be disappointed!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: June 12, 2005 09:04

Don't you pretentious guys forget to listen to the classic Too Fast For Love by Motley Crue. They have a new single out called If I Die Tomorrow. Raw and groovy.

Posted by: millerman ()
Date: June 12, 2005 12:08

Actually I was at the Mötley Crüe show in Oslo on friday night, and man, they did rock. Must say they surprised me, good show. Mick Mars is a great guitarist actually.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: June 12, 2005 14:27

KING CRIMSON rulezz - Red , Larks Tongues...
YES
GENESIS
UK
CAMEL

Try MARILLION but only with FISH.!!!

CHELSEA DRUGSTORE and everybody else - the best new prog band is TRANSATLANTIC. JUST 2 albums - SMPT-e and Bridge across Forever. The greatest prog music since Misplaced Childhood!!!!!

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: June 12, 2005 17:39

I love a lot of that stuff... detest a lot... also am ignorant of a lot!!...

I enjoy a band that don't sound like the one next it. (Which is basically why I have always dug Jethro Tull... Also, ever heard of those Stones guys?...) I used to love PFM, but I hear that today and go in my head this is derivative of this, this of that...

I enjoy Gabriel-era Genesis (lots of humour, great musical visions).

Focus is often wonderful (listen to that "wacko" on the axe!!).

Above all, Gentle Giant is, to me, the most "risqué" and hot musical outfit of all that scene (yes, even late in their "decadence" days!). My absolute favorite prog group!

Also love Frank Zappa immensely!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-12 17:43 by Odd-beat.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: June 12, 2005 18:28

check this :
Catapilla, Affinity(excellent version of All Along The Watchtower...), Cornucopia,Magma,Andromeda,Lucifer's Friend....

Posted by: FM ()
Date: June 12, 2005 19:07

> 2.Pink Floyd

Who have just reformed and will play London July 2nd
with Roger Waters

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Date: June 12, 2005 19:22

Rank Outsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't you pretentious guys forget to listen to the
> classic Too Fast For Love by Motley Crue. They
> have a new single out called If I Die Tomorrow.
> Raw and groovy.

Sure its good, but wasnt this a thread on progressive rock?

Date: June 12, 2005 23:01

I did try and rediscover all that early '70s prog stuff...Yes, ELP, Genesis, Wishbone Ash, and Caravan. The latter is the one that has stood the test of time best, to my ears. Did not take things too seriously..but also very innovative and melodious.

Albums include:

"If I could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You" 1970.
"Land of Grey and Pink" (Title track starts with the words "In the land of Grey and Pink where only boy-scouts stop to think......").
"For Girls that Grow Plump in the Night" (This includes a track titled "The Dog, The Dog, He's at it Again"!).
"Waterloo Lily" (The name of a prostitute!)
"Cunning Stunts"

Utterly English.

Refreshing lack of lead guitar. Mainly acoustic rhythm. Reliance on keyboards and flute and viola. Oh yes.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 13, 2005 00:18

This board suddenly seems to be glutted of prog rock fans.
Well I was one too back in the 70's.
Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, Gentle Giant...
But the ones that have survive best are they that weren't REAL prog rock:
Pink Floyd, Camel, King Crimson, Frank Zappa to mention some

Gong did some great stuff, too. Does anyone remember that Mick Taylor worked with them on some album?

And Baboon Bro: The best Swedish group in this gengre I think was Samla Mannas Manna, don't you think?

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: June 13, 2005 00:21

It's brave of you guys to come out of the prog closet but can you shut the doors behind you when you go back in.

Date: June 13, 2005 10:08

Well put, Tseverin, but---
I actually believe one can love prog rock AND punk rock AND the Stones.

But - Thommie - can you really say Floyd & Tull are n o t really prog?
Samla Mammas Manna I havent hear - how bizarre that can sound I havent - its before my time. Samples anywhere; do you know some sample-place, Thommie? I dont like prog for its own sake; and the most ´orrible thing I can think of is Yes, Marillion, and I´m not that hot for Genesis either. Yet I luv Omega & Pink Floyd but inho they are so prog as they can

Salt Of The Earth, YGAGWYW & loads of tracks from 1974 and on are related to prog rock imho... In paricular Mick shows he shares the aestetics (in songwriitng, partly in lyrics, and mostly cover art-wise) of the phantasyish leg of the heavy genre as well as with the prog bands. Which doesnt make it any better... jagger hasnt always been a Man of Wealth And Taste (look at him in One Hit-video...).

I just argued for roots & a primordial attitude to reggae in another thread;
wont do the same with prog, no way. But I think the besband that do stuck in my taste are the one who either experimented wildly with the form o r grow it to its extent. Mostly I seem to like the ones hat have all of this in themselves... What - and where would Floyd have been w/out Syd? (Stones w/out Brian?);
Omega w/out Gábor Presser?

Yeah, again, Thommie; real weird I ´avent ´eard Manna? Please help me out with that?! You know my postings on Kenny & Bosse - from the same very Mann?! Like neing this Baboon-type hardore die-hard wannabe-fan and oool´ oooool´ ´ippy
& not owning HSMR...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-13 11:37 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 13, 2005 11:35

Baboon Bro, what I wrote was that Tull was prog rock, Floyd not REAL prog rock.
What I meant was that Floyd’s music isn’t that overworked and doesn’t has that much of wall of sound than the others.
Floyd is in fact pretty simple music which makes it not that dated like many other.
That’s why I, for instance, prefer Genesis’ Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down… before Wind % Wuthering and Yes’ The Yes Album before Tales from Topographic Ocean. You see?
And that’s the reason the Stones have survived through five decades.

About Samla… I have to work on that. If you can’t wait – try to get their ´76 (if I remember correct) album Snorungarnas Symfoni.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: June 13, 2005 14:05

Van Der Graaf Generator have a new album out called Presence. Bought it last week and it is excellent - easily as good as their classic back catalogue and it does not sound dated at all. Going to see them in London in July and really looking forward to that gig

Jethro Tull - not really classic prog rock in my opinion. Basically blues based band who stretched themselves a bit musically and incorporated a lot of UK folk sound into their repertoire.

Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home