Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Revisiting the 1994-95 tour
Date: July 22, 2014 23:29

Thanks to Chris's upload on Hot Stuff I'm now enjoying the VL-show from Chile.

It sounds fantastic, and Keith is on fire. Songs like Sparks Will Fly, Rocks Off, Satisfaction and YGMR (!) really rock.

I've always been a bit lukewarm toward this tour, but this is really cooking thumbs up

Re: Revisiting the 1994-95 tour
Posted by: grizzlybear ()
Date: July 22, 2014 23:43

Budapest 1995 was my first Stones show.
And many years later I had the joy of finding the recording on Hot Stuff.
I remember the feeling during the Voodoo intro and then Charlie's drums mixed over the intro for Not Fade Away.
By that time there was no internet and I had no ideea what the setlist could be, Just an endless series of surprises. Top level performance.

grizzly

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 23, 2014 00:01

1994 Giants Stadium my first and second Stones shows, love the Voodoo Lounge tour, brings back a lot of memories and lots of songs dug out that the band hadn't played in a long time.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 23, 2014 00:07

Great tour

Date: July 23, 2014 00:32

Yeah, this setlist is fantastic. Love Is Strong, Out Of Tears, Rocks Off, Monkey Man, Street Fighting Man, It's All Over Now. Love it!

The mix is a bit wonky in places, but it's only rock'n'roll thumbs up

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 23, 2014 00:58

My favourite tour DP!

Sheffield 9/7/95

Wembley 16/7/95

Brilliant times. Loved the stage and 'Not Fade Away' Intro.

And I think Satisfaction was greatly freshened up by being played 5/6 songs in from the start too. Another personal favourite was It's All Over Now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:13

Pittsburgh at Three Rivers Stadium

~15 at the time and my first Stones concert. Would love to find a time machine and go to that concert again. 50 some concerts later and they still rock!!!

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 23, 2014 02:28

Buenos Aires 1995 were my first shows...all 5 of them!
On the distance view great tour, amazing setlist and wonderful memories!

Date: July 23, 2014 03:52

Not fade away opening was great

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 23, 2014 04:56

I heard an amazing solo on Beast of Burden in Raleigh. There were some really neat song selections too.

It's really a bit of a tragedy that the distortion in the amps was missing from the P.A. systems sound from 1989-2003. We'll never get that back from soundboards or audience tapes to hear what prominent distorted guitar amps would have sounded like with the exact notes they played.Still an enjoyable tour.

Date: July 23, 2014 04:58

MingSubu
Pittsburgh at Three Rivers Stadium

~15 at the time and my first Stones concert. Would love to find a time machine and go to that concert again. 50 some concerts later and they still rock!!!

Nice. That was one of the two shows I made it to on the tour. (Grew up in PGH so had to visit. That was my last time in PGH for 15+ years until Roger Waters did the Wall there in 2010.)

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 23, 2014 05:40

Wembley july 15th 95 was my first stones gig. I have the audios of most shows from this tour and the band was truly on fire back then.

Date: July 23, 2014 05:45

Was at the Little Rock show on Nov. 11, 1994. I was 19 at the time. Couldn't believe they played my hometown. I saw Paul McCartney the previous year in Memphis. Both of those shows changed my life. Still remember them vividly.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 23, 2014 07:23

I was at the first Foxboro show (and second time seeing them - the first was at the same venue 5 years earlier for Steel Wheels) - over Labor Day weekend, I believe. Loved the setlist but HATED the guitar sound - way too clean, quiet, and tame.

It was a fun show but I'm not gonna lie - it's probably the most forgettable Stones gig I've ever seen. But as far as I'm concerned, it was all part of the process. '89-'90 was so slick that they had to dial it down a notch. Unfortunately, they got a little too organic. By the Bridges tour, they finally found the balance and put together an absolutely fantastic late '90s live run.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 23, 2014 07:40

Great tour with a fantastic setlist.

Date: July 23, 2014 09:37

winter
I heard an amazing solo on Beast of Burden in Raleigh. There were some really neat song selections too.

It's really a bit of a tragedy that the distortion in the amps was missing from the P.A. systems sound from 1989-2003. We'll never get that back from soundboards or audience tapes to hear what prominent distorted guitar amps would have sounded like with the exact notes they played.Still an enjoyable tour.

LOL! Keith's guitar was never as distorted as on some numbers in 89-95.

Satisfaction in 95, Sad Sad Sad in 89/90.

However, the grit disappeared a bit from 1990 in Keith's rhythm sound, that's true.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 23, 2014 15:14

winter
JuanTCB
But as far as I'm concerned, it was all part of the process. '89-'90 was so slick that they had to dial it down a notch. Unfortunately, they got a little too organic. By the Bridges tour, they finally found the balance and put together an absolutely fantastic late '90s live run.
very good observations

Date: July 23, 2014 15:16

1990 was slicker sound-wise than 1989. A change from Boogies to Fender Twins may have something to do with that...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 23, 2014 15:53

Anyone know where to get copy, or link, to the '94 Pittsburgh concert?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 23, 2014 20:21

Saw only one show: Paris under the pouring rain.

At the time I loved the show and saw it as a huge improvement over the 89/90 tour, having the guitars more upfront, and a more essential sound, with less horns, keyboards and back up vocals in the mix.

My memories were somehow ruined by the Miami official videotape, which was a quite lame show, and by the accusations of the band using play back.

I rediscovered the tour years later when I got to hear the Olympia show, a non-official pro-shot DVD of a show in Tokyo and eventually a boot of the Paris show: all really very good shows.

True that the VL songs worked well live.

C

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 23, 2014 21:53

DandelionPowderman

I've always been a bit lukewarm toward this tour, but this is really cooking thumbs up

Pick some Australian/N-Zealand gigs they're even better. In fact I think this string of shows is the best of the entire 94-95 (apart from the 95 club-shows).

Date: July 23, 2014 22:09

Will check them out, dcba. Thanks!

Date: July 23, 2014 22:30

True, some great audience recordings from down-under 1995, high quality

Posted by: nanker25 ()
Date: July 23, 2014 22:39

I've been to all the Stones' tours in the Bay Area since 1978, and this one still stands out. Fourshows in Oakland, including Halloween ("Halloween ... like every day of my life," Keith remarked.) Great opener -- Not Fade Away, great pace, and, most important -- great playing. Which songs they played is not as important as how well they played them.
The props and graphics were over the top. That's not as important as the music, but it doesn't hurt.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 23, 2014 23:03

GREAT tour

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 23, 2014 23:05

Great, great tour, long set list, Keith on fire, the band taking a lot of chances(risks) playing a lot of non warhorses, many new songs, even OPENING with NOT FADE AWAY!!!
Only pity: Ronnie was not so sober, wished he played like he is doing nowadays, very inspired

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: July 23, 2014 23:24

My first tour, Strahov in Prague was packed but I was close. Incredible setlist and stage. Still like the snake.

Date: July 23, 2014 23:51

Many good soundboards from this tour 1994-95

Date: July 24, 2014 01:18

DandelionPowderman
winter

LOL! Keith's guitar was never as distorted as on some numbers in 89-95.

Satisfaction in 95, Sad Sad Sad in 89/90.

However, the grit disappeared a bit from 1990 in Keith's rhythm sound, that's true.

Going to have to respectfully disagree DP. The bg vocalists and chuck's piano were higher in the mix, the sound was more sanitized and separated, the band followed a metronome to count off the songs instead of following KR; resulting in a plinkier sound overall. KR may have had some distortion on the 2-3 songs you mention, but no, for all the rhythm parts of all the classic songs (the ones that should/could have been more distorted) it was definitely the cleanest sounding we'd heard KR since before the MT era. And I'll have to disagree on the '94/95 sound too, barring a few numbers perhaps. No, the crunchy KR sound up to 1982 did not return to the crowd monitors from 1989 until the 2005 ABB tour.

I'll admit that a large part of my observation was also influenced by the overall sound of the modern era RS (1989-) where all of the sudden we didn't have KR as the most prominent musical element of the band's sound. Remember how you used to have to really focus to hear Stu or Nicky's piano amidst the ragged glory? When the sound was more antiseptic to make sure all parts of the supporting band were heard and not buried by the guitars in the midrange, the non-acoustic piano was much more audible and the guitar amps that fed the PA were hardly ever overdriven. -Just my observation from the shows I attended, the PPVs and live releases, and some bootlegs.

Date: July 24, 2014 02:31

I think you're not being accurate with the term "distortion", as the 1981/82 tour was pretty clean-sounding (only boosting while playing solos), and Keith's guitar on shows like Atlantic City 89 was buzzing like a bee on lots of songs (Bitch, CBS, Satisfaction, Sad Sad Sad, JJF, BS, Mixed Emotions, 2000LYFH to name a few).

Their most "distorted tour" was the 75/76 tour. 1989 was the first time after that with real distorted (fuzz) guitars.

Counting (Keith still kicked off half of the songs without metronoms, btw), orchestration, musical direction and horns is another story, imo.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home