Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Ever talked with Keith, Mick, Charlie or Ronnie personally?
Posted by: TRS ()
Date: July 16, 2014 04:54

DoomandGloom
Bliss
Doom and Gloom, what did you do for them?
I was an assistant engineer for a freelance producer. We did re-mixes, single and alternate radio versions. I had the chore of overdubs on weekends. I recall my first job with them was Keith playing for Earl Slick and the last was something on Steel Wheels with some crazy drums from Africa, Over that period I maybe did 10 sessions in total with them. I worked all the time with someone famous so there was no special relationship and I doubt they knew my name from date to date. I had to score my own tickets to Shea Stadium to make it clearer, which I bought from a tech. As I like to say The Stones were by far the nicest stars equalled only by Jimmy Page, George Benson and Julio Iglesias. Of course we all feared Mick's cowboy voice but I never enjoyed the honor of it being directed towards me..
Thanks for sharing. Vey cool story

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: July 16, 2014 06:35

Good catchy rock n roll number Raymond82. I'm curious, how did you enlist Bobby to get on your track? And may I ask what he charges?

As for the thread I've met Darryl and Lisa - guess they sorta don't count yawning smiley)

Some really terrific stories here so far. There must be thousands more.

Great thread.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 16, 2014 11:48

JuanTCB

But when Ronnie did a signing for his autobiography in NYC on Halloween '07, I told him that the "Miss Judy's Farm" riff was the filthiest thing I'd ever heard. He stopped signing, stood up, and grabbed my hand with both of his and started shaking it furiously while yelling "Yeah, man! Yeah! Thanks! Great! Yeah!" I just smiled and nodded like an idiot. It was probably the best conversation I've ever had, come to think of it.

After I left his table, I walked by the Wood family posse. Leah's husband pulled me aside - "What did you say to him?" "I told him how much I loved the 'Miss Judy's Farm' guitar riff." Then Jo was like "Oh, no wonder! Nobody ever talks to him about the Faces!"

That was hilarious! grinning smiley

Posted by: mrsw ()
Date: July 16, 2014 19:05

I met Ronnie October 2013 at the Q awards in London.He signed loads of stuff for me and I had my photo with him.He was lovely to me.Told him I had been a fan for 31 years(since I was 15).Would love to meet Keith one day

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: July 16, 2014 19:24

Met both Ronnie and Keith at book signings in Piccadilly, after queuing for about 10 hours each time! Had a quick chat with Ronnie and a photo
even though we weren't supposed to!

Also spoke to Keith - eventually! After all that time waiting was determined to have some sort of conversation with him. No joy at first, and I just thought he was going to sign my book and move on to the next person. Had to come up with something so thanked him for living his life so that none of us had to! He seemed to like that comment and I still dine out on the fact that I made Keith Richards laugh!!

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 16, 2014 19:27

As for the thread I've met Darryl and Lisa - guess they sorta don't count yawning smiley)

Some really terrific stories here so far. There must be thousands more.

Great thread.[/quote]

Of course it counts!! They are part of the Stones since over 2 decades!!

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 16, 2014 20:57

Some good stories here. Great hearing people's experiences.

Mine are very similar to that described by Treaclefingers....

The closest I got was Mick Taylor walking past me when I was stood by the back entrance of the Ambassadors Theatre after the Boogie for Stu concert. I didn't try and approach him for an autograph or anything as he seemed to want to just get away and I didn't want to harass him.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: July 16, 2014 21:39

You weren't there cuzzy and if you like women, and you were there, like I was 20 + years ago, you would've done the same thing if you have a pulse and a little bit of a rap. She still looked fine back then and was quite friendly.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: July 16, 2014 21:44

You weren't there cuzzy and if you like women, and you were there, like I was 20 + years ago, you would've done the same thing if you have a pulse and a little bit of a rap. She still looked fine back then and was quite friendly. I also suppose, you don't think I should've put a buzz on with MT when afforded the chance back in 94. Don't be a hater.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 17, 2014 02:51

treaclefingers
I've never ever spoken with any of the Stones on a personal level.

It's almost exclusively been business.

Specifically, whenever I go to shows Mick shows and gesticulates wildly at me. My response in normally, "YEAH!"

Keith sort of snorts and says his "it's good to be anywhere" line. I usually just laugh back.

Charlie comes out on stage after Mick announces him and waves, or says something I don't quite catch. He's nice, but doesn't say much.

Ron is generally very nice....I usually shout "RONNIE!!!"

I don't think the relationship has evolved much since the 80s...they pretty much say the same things to me now as they did then.

Still, I can't argue, it works. I'm satisfied.

You win the thread, treacle. grinning smiley

Date: July 17, 2014 10:56

Well in Frankfurt, Festhalle, 1982 the band was in the middle of Miss You.
Jagger reached the part:
"I´ve been walking central park, singin' after dark...people think I´m..."
I stood in the second or third row, shouting every word of the song.
And this: "Crazy" I shouted a bit too early. Very, very loud.
Mick looked at me and grumbled into the mike: "Right you are guy."
Then he continued: "...crazy!".
He taaaaaalked to me.
After this I thought they will invite me backstage, asking me getting member of the band, incl. best friend of Keith & Mick and I will stay with them on tour for the rest of my life.
Well.
After the gig we slept in a wood near the highway and hitchhiked home to Hamburg in a little Volkswagen.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 17, 2014 11:59

DoomandGloom
Bliss
I was an assistant engineer for a freelance producer. We did re-mixes, single and alternate radio versions. I had the chore of overdubs on weekends. I recall my first job with them was Keith playing for Earl Slick and the last was something on Steel Wheels with some crazy drums from Africa, Over that period I maybe did 10 sessions in total with them. I worked all the time with someone famous so there was no special relationship and I doubt they knew my name from date to date. I had to score my own tickets to Shea Stadium to make it clearer, which I bought from a tech. As I like to say The Stones were by far the nicest stars equalled only by Jimmy Page, George Benson and Julio Iglesias. Of course we all feared Mick's cowboy voice but I never enjoyed the honor of it being directed towards me..

Thanks for the reply. It's great, and I admit, a bit surprising, to hear that the RS were nice to staff. It's easy to imagine they would be arrogant and dictatorial, based on other things that are known about them.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 17, 2014 13:23

DoomandGloom
Bliss

Been wondering about "Mick's cowboy voice"...is that the Faraway Eyes voice? And why so scary?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 17, 2014 19:03

Bliss
DoomandGloom
Bliss

Thanks for the reply. It's great, and I admit, a bit surprising, to hear that the RS were nice to staff. It's easy to imagine they would be arrogant and dictatorial, based on other things that are known about them.
The can be rough on decision makers and other musicians but to us guys running tape, setting up mics and stuff they were our mates. I knew assistant engineers that went to dinner with MJ and they gravitated to to us. It would not be uncommon for Mick to play a song on the studio piano while you wrapped wires. Jagger was usually early for dates we'd have a count down with phone calls for Keith. Most times they worked apart but they clearly had detailed discussions on the work in progress for each date. Once Mick woke me up off the studio couch after a long night with Keith.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2014 01:16

It would not be uncommon for Mick to play a song on the studio piano while you wrapped wires.

Lurv to hear that kinda stuff ..................

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 18, 2014 03:40

i used to be in a band called the wrapped wires.

Date: July 18, 2014 20:07

IORR´s talking direct to the Stones & Stones related - I know there would be wonderful stories -and here they are!

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: July 19, 2014 01:50

Ronnie in 1988 at one of his art exhibits in Washington, D. C.--the nicest, kindest person you would ever want to meet--I will never, ever forget it!

Date: July 20, 2014 09:30

Ronnie again in 1996 in Hamburg.
He was awarded for his artwork. The venue: A musical theatre. And: "The Buddy Holy Story" had it´s premiere the day.
Kind of weird event.
First they opened the show. And then after they would give Ronnie the award.
So ca. 600 (out of 1.200 on the audience) Stones Fans were sitting there watching that silly show. Patient.
Then after a decade it was over and Ronnie came up.
Got the prize.
Said some words.
Smiled.
They not even interviewed him on stage.
And then after 3 Minutes he was off again.
One had to say: He seemed rather drunk when he arrived at the venue 3 hours before. Jo was with him, holding his arm.
And backstage (why he didm´t arrived a f t e r the silly show ? - no one knows)
during these three hours he obviously continued drinking.
Well - but those 3 minutes on stage he was nice and lovely like always.
Afterwards I was invited to a kind of party "In Ronnies suite" in the "Atlantik Hotel".
It was a room beside the suite of the Woods-Family.
Full of journalists and Fans.
Just men.
No party atmosphere at all.
And no Ronnie.
Suddenly the door to the Wood-suite swings open and a big open bar on wheels was pushed into the room - behind that monster full of bottles of vodka etc. -
Ronnie himself.
"Sorry guys - I have a argument with my missus and can't party with you,
But this is for you here - cheers and have a good one."
Then he smoked a cigarette with us, signed some autographs and off he was.
Well. Ronnie gone. And us alone with us and the vodka.

Date: July 22, 2014 09:41

ZantiMisfit
Ronnie in 1988 at one of his art exhibits in Washington, D. C.--the nicest, kindest person you would ever want to meet--I will never, ever forget it!

Thats sounds very good - and: interesting.
So for you and any other taltking directly to Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie, Bill,
Brian, Stu, Bobby, Lisa, Bernhard, Blondie, Darryl, Tim, Chuck, Pierre - you don´t overdo when you give your story a bit more space and words.
Stones fans here appreciate every detail.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 22, 2014 09:43

No, I personally don't object to the details at all--go for it, folks!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:14

I was face to face with all of them at the Four Seasons in Paris, but I couldn't think of a single thing to say. On the last tour, I saw Bobby Keys and said "Hey Bobby" and he smiled and said "How's it going". I was on the elevator in Stockholm with Tim Ries, but didn't realize it was him until later. I love these guys, but I don't really have anything to say to em.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2014 05:36

Aquamarine
treaclefingers
I've never ever spoken with any of the Stones on a personal level.

It's almost exclusively been business.

Specifically, whenever I go to shows Mick shows and gesticulates wildly at me. My response in normally, "YEAH!"

Keith sort of snorts and says his "it's good to be anywhere" line. I usually just laugh back.

Charlie comes out on stage after Mick announces him and waves, or says something I don't quite catch. He's nice, but doesn't say much.

Ron is generally very nice....I usually shout "RONNIE!!!"

I don't think the relationship has evolved much since the 80s...they pretty much say the same things to me now as they did then.

Still, I can't argue, it works. I'm satisfied.

You win the thread, treacle. grinning smiley

Thanks!

The feedback keeps me focussed!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 23, 2014 11:39

I got to go to an after show meet & greet with Keith on the 2nd Winos tour. Met Bobby Keys first & chatted for awhile. He wasn't happy about the lack of liquid refreshment at the function & proceeded to tell us about the portable bar he was travelling with. He was very funny & personable. Then came the big moment. I got introduced to Keith & he was really nice to me. I was in full Keith battle gear including a dress shirt that was festooned with skulls. He said "hey, my man!". My buddy & I got to pose for a picture. During my 25 years in the music biz I got to meet a lot of famous folks but that was definitely the top of the mountain. The show itself was phenomenal. I kind of wish he would do another Winos tour (or something like it) in smaller places. This was in a cool old 3000 seat theater. Final note: little did I know but I actually had pneumonia that night. I wasn't going to let that stand in the way of that show! Pretty much anybody else, I woulnd't have been there.smoking smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 23, 2014 14:15

Love all these great storys. smileys with beer

Date: July 23, 2014 22:20

crholmstrom
I got to go to an after show meet & greet with Keith on the 2nd Winos tour. Met Bobby Keys first & chatted for awhile. He wasn't happy about the lack of liquid refreshment at the function & proceeded to tell us about the portable bar he was travelling with. He was very funny & personable. Then came the big moment. I got introduced to Keith & he was really nice to me. I was in full Keith battle gear including a dress shirt that was festooned with skulls. He said "hey, my man!". My buddy & I got to pose for a picture. During my 25 years in the music biz I got to meet a lot of famous folks but that was definitely the top of the mountain. The show itself was phenomenal. I kind of wish he would do another Winos tour (or something like it) in smaller places. This was in a cool old 3000 seat theater. Final note: little did I know but I actually had pneumonia that night. I wasn't going to let that stand in the way of that show! Pretty much anybody else, I woulnd't have been there.smoking smiley

great story CR!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 24, 2014 17:45

Raymond82
Managed to amass a few good stories over the years.

Met Charlie in 2006 whilst my arm was broken from a football injury. He signed my program and asked me, "Were you fighting?" To which I replied no, it was injured during a game of football. He then replied, "Good...you Scots are always fighting!"

Met Ronnie that same afternoon for the first time. He was in a hurry and signed my program and left. The second time was a couple of years ago in Brussels. He was with the Faces & I managed to get some great photos with him. He was very chatty and we spoke about staying away from alcohol. (I'm 4 years sober) He was really interested in it and said any time I'm in London, look him up! Obviously that's a lot easier said than done.

Met Mick Taylor in Paris a few months ago. He was a lovely guy. Posed for a photograph and was generally really cool, very at ease chatting.

My favourite story is still from last year when I was lucky enough to record one of my songs with Bobby Keys. Bobby to me has always been an integral part of the Stones , so to fly to Nashville and have him play one of his killer solos on one of my tracks was unforgettable. We spent an hour or so together in the studio and he was brilliant. His stories were amazing and he was a lovely guy. I saw hi again recently in Paris and it was the same again. He couldn't have been any nicer. Here's the track for anybody interested.

[soundcloud.com]

I love them all. Heroes.

Fantastic track. Great job. Very passionate and full of energy and conviction.

Posted by: Raymond82 ()
Date: July 24, 2014 19:01

Thank you kindly TOTR!

Appreciate you listening mate!

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 24, 2014 19:11

Met RW at Four Seasons in Boston. Briefly spoke and he was extremely nice. Spoke to Mick T in Pit at Boston show briefly and he was equally nice. The others just shouting hello in hotels and the wave or smile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-24 19:12 by Brstonesfan.

Date: July 25, 2014 01:49

Sourvirginia
I spoke with Charlie he was nice, but his cologne smelled like toast

I'm surprised he let you get that close to him.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home