Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
about Stu
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 11, 2014 17:25

I love Stu and all of his legend. I really admire his story, his personality and loyalty with HIS band, etc
I was always curious about his financial status within the band. Was he wealthy enough? (as he deserved). Did the Stones looked after him and his family throughout his life and after?

Re: about Stu
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 11, 2014 18:00

Stu was a real person. He wouldn't like being called a legend or having his finances discussed with strangers on a website.

The Stones did right by him.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: July 11, 2014 18:51

stonesrule
Stu was a real person. He wouldn't like being called a legend or having his finances discussed with strangers on a website.

You seem to have an awful lot of faith in the Rolling Stones... I can't think of a reason why, really.

Note what Ian Stewart said (in his interview with Bill German) about the early days and about Andrew Loog Oldham. Doesn't give the impression that Stu felt he had been treated fairly.

"BG: Is it true you helped put food in the Stones’ mouths ?

IS: I was the only one with any money. They were living in that apartment. Well, Mick had a university grant – he had a little money – but Keith and Brian had nothing.
Andrew ? No, Andrew had money. But I wouldn’t feed Andrew anyway. I wouldn’t piss on him if he were on fire."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-11 18:55 by Chacal.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 11, 2014 19:17

only from reading his comments, and the Stones; comments about Stu, he is to be admired, and not just for his piano playing.. I've always thought his role in the band was a lot more important than most realize.
especially in the early years he was the tour manager, driver and piano player.

then later he looked after tour arrangements, and provided grounding. intangible but for them extremely important.

he was their consigliere. most of all I reckon he was an honest friend.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: July 11, 2014 20:44

Chacal
stonesrule

You seem to have an awful lot of faith in the Rolling Stones... I can't think of a reason why, really.

Note what Ian Stewart said (in his interview with Bill German) about the early days and about Andrew Loog Oldham. Doesn't give the impression that Stu felt he had been treated fairly.

IS: I was the only one with any money. They were living in that apartment. Well, Mick had a university grant – he had a little money – but Keith and Brian had nothing.
Andrew ? No, Andrew had money. But I wouldn’t feed Andrew anyway. I wouldn’t piss on him if he were on fire."

Great interview with Ian Stewart, read it before, thanks for posting.
Regular fans/concert visitors don't even know his name I think. They miss so much because if you know their history and all sorts of other stories around them it makes 50+ years Rolling Stones so much interesting.

Date: July 11, 2014 21:47

I do have faith and actual knowledge as I knew Stu and his relationship with the stones through and after his death.

Date: July 11, 2014 22:04

Since I don't know your identity, I can't fathom the depth of your connection with him or say how likely he was to share his innermost thoughts with you. He seemed to be the kind of man who wouldn't dish the dirt in public (or to a journalist), as a matter of principle.

What does that entail, 'his relationship with the Stones after his death' ?
Not many people are able to continue a relationship with the living, once they leave their mortal coil.

I have very little faith and am not basing my opinion on speculation either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-11 22:57 by Chacal.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 11, 2014 22:30

I believe stonesrule is referring to how Ian Stewart's family and estate were seen to by Mick and Keith..

Date: July 11, 2014 22:34

I miss Stu...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 11, 2014 23:52

duke richardson
I believe stonesrule is referring to how Ian Stewart's family and estate were seen to by Mick and Keith..

Also in non-financial ways like ensuring he was included when the band (including Brian) were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame.

I have no personal insights here, but everything I've read over many years has supported the view that Stu was treated fairly. And I don't see any resentment on his part in that article. I don't really understand where the assumption they DIDN'T do right by him comes from, to be honest.

Date: July 12, 2014 00:55

Aquamarine
I have no personal insights here, but everything I've read over many years has supported the view that Stu was treated fairly. And I don't see any resentment on his part in that article. I don't really understand where the assumption they DIDN'T do right by him comes from, to be honest.

Everything you're read, such as... ?

He says in that interview 'I wouldn't piss on Andrew Loog Oldham if he were on fire'. For an introverted Englishman that's very outspoken and would certaintly hint at some feelings of resentment, even if it was ALO that did the dirty work and the rest of the band just looked on.

Date: July 12, 2014 01:13

I don't personally consider ALO to be one of the band. Stu never showed, or at least publicly expressed, any resentment toward the band, that I've seen, and I've been reading these articles since 1964. However, I don't claim to be omniscient, and I don't have them all in front of me right now. But I still want to know what would suggest the band DIDN'T do right by him.

Posted by: LookoutMountain ()
Date: July 12, 2014 02:07

Was Ian Stewart an "introverted Englishman" ? I thought he was a Scotsman. Big-hearted, loyal, down to earth and not impressed by the trappings of fame. From what I've read, his loyalty and dedication was felt reciprocally with the band, which relied on his opinion, allowing him to be fairly outspoken. Plus he outlasted ALO -- if not in years, in affection. smoking smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 12, 2014 02:16

Two observations, off topic....

1> Contrary to "LIFE", Stu places himself as the "second Stone".

2> He seemed to know about Chuck Berry's guitar/songs being translated from piano a good number of years prior to Keith discovering it in Hail Hail Rock and Roll.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 12, 2014 02:28

Proceeds from the limited edition 950 copies only book STU compiled by Will Nash went to furthering Ian Stewart's sons university education .....

[rocksoff.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: July 12, 2014 06:45

Probably the most human and average person involved. He didn't look right so he was kept hidden. Still he stuck with it and in the end becomes known as the strongest character in the entire Stones story.

Date: July 12, 2014 19:18

LookoutMountain
Was Ian Stewart an "introverted Englishman" ? I thought he was a Scotsman.

Ok strictly speaking I should have written British, because he was born in Scotland. However he was raised in Sutton, Surrey and I was referring to the way British people of that generation generally deal with talking about emotions/feelings and how that would have been the norm to him because of his upbringing.
The Scottish are at least as introverted and reserved as the English.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 12, 2014 19:26

Chacal
stonesrule

"Andrew ? No, Andrew had money. But I wouldn’t feed Andrew anyway. I wouldn’t piss on him if he were on fire."

lol lol lol lol

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:06

"Andrew ? No, Andrew had money. But I wouldn’t feed Andrew anyway. I wouldn’t piss on him if he were on fire."

lol lol lol lol
thumbs upsmileys with beer HaHaHaHa, Yes! Yes! This could have been a great title for an early outtake instrumental from 64! (Remember Andrews Blues?)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 14, 2014 01:24

I'm not so sure about Brian being poor...Cheltenham is a VERY wealthy community. I think Jones' parents had money but whether or not they shared it with their son is the question...maybe they disowned him for forming a band.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 14, 2014 07:51

Rockman
Proceeds from the limited edition 950 copies only book STU compiled by Will Nash went to furthering Ian Stewart's sons university education .....

That's one book that I'd dearly love to have been able to afford.

I'm certain that a trade edition would sell enough copies to do more than put Stu's sons through university!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 14, 2014 13:24

Chacal

Oh really? What makes you think that?

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 14, 2014 15:10

teleblaster
Chacal

Quite! Fellow Scot backing you up all the way Teleblaster smileys with beer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: July 14, 2014 16:59

grzegorz67
teleblaster
Chacal

Quite! Fellow Scot backing you up all the way Teleblaster smileys with beer

Slainte, grzegorz67.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 14, 2014 17:02

'OK, I'll just drive you around.' Stu.
'I'm still working for Stu's band' Keith.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 14, 2014 23:04

If Stu´s family needed the book to pay for a son studies, then he was not enough looked after for during his life with the Stones ( financially i mean) (what would be very sad, by the way)

Date: July 15, 2014 00:04

Education was taken care of by Stu's friends..out of love and respect.

Stu was not super-wealthy but far from poor.

Last I have to say on this subject.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:27

can we please not have stu be one of the boards pets that we adopt who were -

1.taken advantage of by the mean old rolling stones and
2.deserved better

stu wasn't a crybaby and his attitude was that "mick and keith,those two were gonna have a rolling stones in some form that was gonna be a success no matter what and it didnt matter who was playing piano. so i decided to stay on and see where it went"

travelling the world and spending your life playing keyboards for the rolling stones and playing golf didnt suck,stu had a great life.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:31

Rocket 88 Lp is awesome

Date: July 15, 2014 01:32

Gooo
Rocket 88 Lp is awesome

Yes it is, and picking up a mint vinyl copy for $4 was even more awesome!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home