Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: New Pink Floyd Album????
Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: July 6, 2014 23:21

Hairball
With the quagmire and chaos of lawsuits, etc. following Rogers departure, I wonder if he receives royalties from Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason?

I guess it would depend if he still co-owns the name. I'm pretty sure that I read on a Sabbath site that since Ozzy now co-owns the Black Sabbath name with Iommi he receives royalties from sales of the whole catalogue including the Dio era which of course he didn't appear on. I wonder if the same is true with Floyd?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 7, 2014 05:34

Not sure what the details of the Floyd settlement were, but I think it's something along the lines of Roger gives up all rights to the name Pink Floyd in exchange for a piece of the action anytime the name Pink Floyd is used.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 7, 2014 10:28

Could this be part of the unreleased "Big Spliff" and soon to be released "Endless River"? Some say this track predates the Division Bell sessions. It certainly is obscure, and very likely not many Pink Floyd fans have heard it, including myself before finding this clip.

The piece is called "Soundscape". Credited to Gilmour, Wright, and Mason, this ambient track was played as the opener to their 1994 concerts and only appeared on the cassette version of Pulse, at the end of side 2 as a secret track that begins 15 or 20 minutes after the end of the live recording.

Date: July 7, 2014 11:53

Yeah, I remember that. My girlfriend had the cassette version. It was a double cassette and side four was blank ... except for these bird noises that Dave is apparently now going to re-release as the final Pink Floyd album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-07 12:35 by tatters.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 7, 2014 14:22

If they are going to release an album of ambient music, Gilmour can just keep it as far as I'm concerned. How godawful boring.

Date: July 8, 2014 01:57

Pink Floyd's Facebook page confirmed that it is an album of "mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions". Blaaahhh....ambient instrumental music.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: July 8, 2014 14:36

well said!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 8, 2014 14:40

People complain even though they haven't heard a single note! This is hilarious! You must have very poor lives!

Date: July 8, 2014 15:42

Hey Blueranger. You haven't heard ambient instrumental music? Very boring.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 16:03

spsimmons
Pink Floyd's Facebook page confirmed that it is an album of "mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions". Blaaahhh....ambient instrumental music.

Much of Shine On You Crazy Diamond would be considered "mainly ambient and instrumental" and that worked out just fine. I doubt Gilmour ditched the guitar for sequencers and synths. At least let's hope that's not the case! LOL

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: July 8, 2014 21:51

tatters
If this is the stuff that wasn't good enough to make it onto The Division Bell, it must be pretty dire.

LOLsssssssssssssssssss

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 8, 2014 23:26

spsimmons
Hey Blueranger. You haven't heard ambient instrumental music? Very boring.

Yes, I have heard plenty of ambient music. A good portion of Pink Floyd's music could be called 'ambient' and I have enjoyed that very much. I love soundscapes and the way it can create atmosphere and moods in me. It is not rock music, it is something else, which I fully accept it is. The fantastic thing about music is that it can make one reflect and ambient music can help to do that.

Maybe it will be great, maybe not. I refuse to judge how good or bad it is before I have heard the album at least three or four times.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 9, 2014 08:21

Blueranger
Maybe it will be great, maybe not. I refuse to judge how good or bad it is before I have heard the album at least three or four times.

thumbs up

Besides, I don't believe for a second that David will release rubbish under the PF moniker and willingly destroy the brand name.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: July 9, 2014 10:35

alimente
Besides, I don't believe for a second that David will release rubbish under the PF moniker and willingly destroy the brand name.

I agree with that.

My guess (it surely has been mentionned before) is that they opened the vault for the division bell reissue and they rediscover some parts and decided to rework on it. After 20 years, they got fresh ears on it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 9, 2014 11:54

alimente

Well, he did put out A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell under the Pink Floyd moniker, and those didn't destroy the brand name. Pink Floyd will live on for decades based on their work through The Wall. None of the subsequent lesser albums can diminish the goodwill from that work.

I'm not worried about it being a more instrumental/ambient album. That means less of Gilmour's and Polly Samson's horrible lyrics. The instrumental on The Division Bell, Marooned, was one of the best things on that album. And many of the instrumentals in their back catalog are among their best songs (Great Gig, various parts of Shine On, One of These Days, Interstellar Overdrive, etc.).

Re: New Pink Floyd Album????
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 9, 2014 20:17

whitem8
Because they are tracks done without any involvement with Roger Waters. They are from Division Bell... Hey I am not a total naysayer, but I did not think they should have continued as Floyd without Roger and I agreed that mostly the stuff done without him was pretty subpar.
On another note, David Gilmore's album On an Island is fantastic!

I'll take A Momentary Lapse of Reason over Radio Kaos ANY day.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: July 9, 2014 21:01

I believe the instrumental Marooned from Division Bell won a Grammy.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 9, 2014 21:24

radio kaos rocks

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: July 9, 2014 21:37

thumbs downHAHAHA!
New Pink Floyd Album!!! The title of this thread only, what humour. HAHAHAHA.
Pink Floyd as a band died when Syd Barett left.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 9, 2014 22:53

The Division Bell was certainly no masterpiece, but I found it a lot more listenable than The Final Cut. I'll give this a good rotation, Gilmour is always an interesting musician.

Ross

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 10, 2014 01:58

OutOfTime
thumbs downHAHAHA!
New Pink Floyd Album!!! The title of this thread only, what humour. HAHAHAHA.
Pink Floyd as a band died when Syd Barett left.

Either a babbling idiot, or obvious sarcasm to provoke a response.

Date: July 10, 2014 02:04

Actually, I was going to mention a few days back, in response to those posters who feel that Pink Floyd died as a band when Roger Waters left, the segment of fans who think this way about post-Barrett Pink Floyd, because they do exist and you have to admit that Barrett era Floyd and the band that followed are really apples and oranges.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2014 04:19

I love the Barret era...almost as much as the post-Barrett era in which I grew up with in the 70's.

With that said, I could never truly understand/appreciate the post-Waters era.
Without the great experimentation of Barrett, nor the the great songwriting of Waters, it sounded like an incomplete sham as it still does to this day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-10 16:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 10, 2014 04:22

I love almost every Pink Floyd album until Wish You Were Here (with their first album being my number one above all).

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:52

Animals is absolutely brilliant.

Date: July 10, 2014 13:38

whitem8
Animals is absolutely brilliant.
one of my all time favs !!!!!!!!!!

Date: July 10, 2014 13:38

Didn't care for the two post-Waters LPs (though "One Slip" from MLOR is a great track) but the 1994 Pink Floyd show I saw at Yankee Stadium remains one of the two or three best (or at least most fun) concerts I've ever been to. With all the smoke and lasers you really couldn't even see who was onstage. It was all about the music and the lights. Dave's voice and guitar were there, and for me that was enough. Didn't miss Roger. For me, Dave's voice and guitar are the principal identifying features of the Pink Floyd sound, much more so than Roger's angst-laden hollering.

Date: July 10, 2014 13:48

Their shows have always been about the music and lights, right from the very beginning when incorporating landlord Mike Leonard's Smelenex projections at their earliest shows. It's never been about four guys up on a stage--except, perhaps, at Live 8.

There's a great story from one of their biographies as related by Dave, I believe, of how after a big stadium show from their seventies heyday they actually left with the audience, just filing out and blending in with the crowd--and not a single audience member who had just paid to see the band perform recognized any one of the band members even when they were walking alongside them.

Date: July 10, 2014 13:55

tatters
Didn't care for the two post-Waters LPs (though "One Slip" from MLOR is a great track) but the 1994 Pink Floyd show I saw at Yankee Stadium remains one of the two or three best (or at least most fun) concerts I've ever been to. With all the smoke and lasers you really couldn't even see who was onstage. It was all about the music and the lights. Dave's voice and guitar were there, and for me that was enough. Didn't miss Roger. For me, Dave's voice and guitar are the principal identifying features of the Pink Floyd sound, much more so than Roger's angst-laden hollering.
i was at this concert at yankee stadium and this was a fun concert .great first base dugout seats on the friday before the baseball strike (that sunday ) .the yankees were in anaheim playing the halo's that weekend .

Date: July 10, 2014 14:16

TheGreek
tatters
i was at this concert at yankee stadium and this was a fun concert .great first base dugout seats on the friday before the baseball strike (that sunday ) .the yankees were in anaheim playing the halo's that weekend .

Concerts at Yankee Stadium were very rare in those days. I think Floyd was only the third band to ever play there, after Billy Joel and U2.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home