Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
How was your Rolling Stones European Tour ?
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 4, 2014 12:51

Been to Oslo,Zurich and Madrid,and had such a great time in each city. For me ,Madrid was the big one,but Oslo and Zurich were both really special in their own ways.
Oslo was very special,as first show of tour,after the unexpected sadness in March. Great weather,great show,great seats,and some fantastic times at rehearsals,the gig and various pubs and bars with D.P. gibsonman,Gregor,Eric,Bjornulf, over that great long weekend in Oslo.
Meeting and chatting to Chuck and his missus,walking along in Oslo,and such a nice pleasant couple.
Zurich was another new city for me,and really loved it there.
Meeting more fans like Andreea,Cristiano,Gabor, and many more from all over the world. Stray Cat Bar and Langsters Hostel were the places to be for me.
Great weather again,great seats,and another really memorable Rolling Stones gig.

Next up,and last one for me was Madrid where everything just fell into place.Only got my ticket about 5 days before and knew something would come up for face value.
Also knew ,'Like a Rolling Stone' was gonna be played,and the fans and the band were gonna be singing,jumping and dancin' all the way through this Bob Dylan song. Coincidentaly ,Bob was probably singing that song the same night at his gig in Bucherest.
Meeting a lot of familiar faces I now call friends was great.
Myself ,Andreea and Gabor all managed to get into Golden Circle and it was great. Really great.
Also met Matt Clifford there,who was a real gentleman and a pleasure to talk to.
I could say a whole lot more about Madrid,as I got a train there from Almeria and stayed for 4 days. Had so many good and memorable times.

I'm gonna do my best to get to South America next February or March and meet some familiar Stones fans and many new faces.

Adios Amigos......................for now. smileys with beer

Re: How was your Rolling Stones European Tour ?
Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: July 4, 2014 13:00

Two gigs for me on this European section of the tour. Italy and Belgium.

What really struck me on this tour more than ever before was the crowd attending. I saw elderly couples, mid life adults,teenagers and children at these shows. It really was a great mix and I think this in itself has rejuvenated the Stones and made it better than any tour since the 90's. It was wonderful and to top it off the Stones sounded absolutely brilliant. People have been going on about set lists but this tour was never about that. For me it was just appreciating the fact that they are still going strong and loving every minute.

Rome in particular will live long in the memory. Such a unique and special setting to play and a wonderful city basked in beautiful summer sun. Wonderful smiling smiley

Roll on the next leg of the tour smiling smiley

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: July 4, 2014 13:06

I went to Oslo, Dusseldorf and Stockholm, splashing out for Golden Circle (and early entry if available). Never done that before...

I had a fantastic time at each gig - emotion in Oslo; then a very strong performance in Dusseldorf; then (for me) farewell for this tour in Stockholm. Discovered I could stand for 8-9 hours still - and met some great fans.

Bumped into a couple of the touring band, but decided to leave them to their private time mostly.

I wouldn't do a "festival in a rural area", but do wish I'd done a few more (Madrid, Paris, Rome).

If this format of touring works for the Stones (say 3 weeks preparation/rehearsal; one gig every 3 days for 45 days; twice per annum) then it sure does for me as well.

Of course wish for a few more rare tracks to be played, but I guess we need a small gig in a big Stones city (London, NYC, Paris) for that.

Slightly surprised by the large numbers of younger enthusiastic fans - who knew all the songs and the legend - thats like me 40 years ago going to see Bing Crosby or Sinatra... never would have happened.

Loved MT's contribution to Rambler, but disliked his scowls and distain visible when he wasn't playing

Much appreciated BV for all the hard work (and patience) on reporting and providing this forum.

OK so Aus/NZ, then a brief tour of the Americas and back to London next year - who knows!!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 4, 2014 13:13

Loved Zurich for the overall trip; Paris for the performance; Rome for the crowd and the fun; Werchter for the rendition of some numbers (especially in the first part of the gig), even if the Belgians - much to my surprise - seemed to be by far the least friendly and nice crowd I've met so far (overall I've been to 20+ gigs all over Europe).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-04 13:16 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: July 4, 2014 13:26

Greetings Crawdaddy! It was nice meeting you at the rehearsals in Oslo and having a few pints at that Irish pubs afterwards. I've had great pleassures reading your reports from your travel this tour. I only attended the Oslo gig, but what a gig it was! The memories from that show will stay with me forever, but I am pretty sure it will not be the last time! I brought with me quite a few friendes and colleagues and it was nice to see especially some of the young ones who did not know much about the band from before, just standing there speechless not quite able to believe what they were witnessing. Hope to see you again somewhere, sometime - S.America, NYC, UK who nows :-) Erik

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 4, 2014 13:31

I saw 6 shows, loved all of them, if I had to rank them, it would look like this:

1. Dusseldorf (the best interaction between Mick, Keith and Ronnie, very tight band)
2. Berlin (fantastic venue, great atmosphere)
3. Madrid (the youngest and wildest audience)
4.-6. Zurich, Paris, Stockholm (all very good)

I hope this was not the last time.

Date: July 4, 2014 13:38

tomzen
Greetings Crawdaddy! It was nice meeting you at the rehearsals in Oslo and having a few pints at that Irish pubs afterwards. I've had great pleassures reading your reports from your travel this tour. I only attended the Oslo gig, but what a gig it was! The memories from that show will stay with me forever, but I am pretty sure it will not be the last time! I brought with me quite a few friendes and colleagues and it was nice to see especially some of the young ones who did not know much about the band from before, just standing there speechless not quite able to believe what they were witnessing. Hope to see you again somewhere, sometime - S.America, NYC, UK who nows :-) Erik

It was great to meet you in Oslo, Erik. thumbs up

Lots of great memories of our chatting Stones talk in the Irish pub and rehearsals. smileys with beer

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 4, 2014 14:01

Been to 7 shows.
If I had to rank them it would look like this:

7. Berlin
6. Oslo
5. Werchter
4. Stockholm
3. Düsseldorf
2. Paris
1. Landgraaf (Pinkpop)

Berlin was a letdown for me. Great venue though. But it was very warm, I thought the guitarists posed too much and it came after the absolutely terrific Pinkpop gig. It was also the concert I though was going to be THE gig of the tour.
The others rank from good to unforgetable.

Highlights: Worried About You. Both in Oslo & Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf somewhat better because of the excellent Ronnie solo. Brown Sugar, Wild Horses (Paris), It's All Over Now (Werchter), the sax solo courtesy of Tim Ries in Waiting on a Friend (Berlin), Rocks Off (Pinkpop).
OOC and MR were always songs to look forward to (but not because of MT, imo).
Keith really surprised me. In Oslo still shaky, but on a roll after that (besides Berlin).

The lows: Lisa Fisher in GS. And a bit more changes in the setlist would have been nice.

Overall: fantastic tour.

Posted by: kishorcsog ()
Date: July 4, 2014 14:24

I was at Pinkpop and Vienna, both were really good but Pinkpop will remain always in my heart, we drove 12 hours from Hungary in a heat, we saw 2 burning cars on our way in Germany, never seen anything like that.
And when they started with Jumping Jack Flash, that was the loudest, clearest sound I ever heard at a concert, Keith's telecaster was ripping my head off and it was fantastic, after that the sound deteroited a little bit with too much bass and drums but still it was really good. And they played Rock off which was a fantastic surprise being one of my all-time favourite songs and it was a great pleasure to sing it together with Sir Mick, especially the "sunshine bores the daylight out of me" line.
Another highlight was the outro of Gimme Shelter at both concerts, I could listen to those guitars forever.
And Angie was great also with everybody singing.
Thank you Rolling Stones for this tour.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 4, 2014 15:31

Concerts that I went to were, Pinkpop - Berlin - Paris - Vienna - Dusseldorf - Madrid.

Stepped in 11 countries. England - France - Belgium - Holland - Germany - Austria - Switzerland - Hungary - Czech Rep - Slovakia - Spain.

Had a fantastic time bummin' around Europe. So much to see, with so little time. Pinkpop or Berlin were probably my favorite concerts, but I enjoyed them all. Had a 21 day countinous rail pass. Mainly traveled at nite, with a sleeper and spent the day in a city just walking around and eating.

Haven't got my package that I mailed from Madrid yet. But I didn't take many pics there either. I just flew in and out for the concert.

From the London Eye.

How I started my days in Amsterdam.

When I arrived at Waldbuhne.

Sorry for the creepiness, but thank you for giving me something to look while waiting for the Stones.

Went on a bike ride after the concert.

The only free WC in Europe, I think.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 4, 2014 15:32

I've been to 7 gigs. To me the Stones were very good (the same) every show. The only difference to me were the venues. Rome (even from the back), Stockholm, Berlin and Paris (VIP seats, Lucky dip) excellent. Düsseldorf FOS2 oversold, Pinkpop enjoyable, Werchter was a very long,even too long, day.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: July 4, 2014 15:43

I saw it all unravel from my ipad here in Australia.
Thanks to all for your pics, reports and vids.
I'm sure I speak for others when I say it felt like I was at the shows with you all.
Thanks again.
Next stop Australia!

[youtu.be]

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: jhrock83 ()
Date: July 4, 2014 15:56

i've done BERLIN and PARIS ..
i prefer the BERLIN SHOW as PARIS but i would dream to be at the PINKPOP ....

still the next time to say goodbye

Date: July 4, 2014 16:04

Cool pics MingSubu. Love 'em. smileys with beer

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 4, 2014 16:04

After more than 30 years of being a fan, this tour was still a revelation to me.
I've only got my own stupidity to blame for that.
After the great Licks Tour I had the impression that I would never be satisfied at a stadium
show ever again. I missed out on the Bigger Bang tour. Never regretted it.

There were two reasons I decided to go to the Stade de France show in Paris this time around.

First, I saw both the video's of Glastonbury and Hyde Park last year, the happiness on
everybody's faces and the fun all around. People were standing 300 meters from the stage
were having a great time. After seeing that, I knew again there was magic when our boys are
on stage, and it's not limited to the first 10 lines. It's everywhere around.

Second, my daughter turned 15 this year, about the age I had during the 1982 European tour.
It was time to introduce her to the magic of seeing the Stones on stage. We went all the
way to Paris by Thalys and had a wonderful time together. One of the best moments
I had as a father was when she told me she voted for All down the line to be played.
My favorite too! I was ever so proud!

And after taking the chance, I was never disappointed and my every need was satisfied.
The boys played their skinny a$$es off. Every last person in the stadium was having
a great time, and we still talk about it almost every day.

Thank you, Rolling Stones!
~*YEAH*~

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 4, 2014 16:14

The Stockholm show was amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!great stuff.
The next day....seeing the Stones leave the Hotel was phenomenal!!!!!!!!

Cant wait for the summer of 2015

Jeroen

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: July 4, 2014 16:22

Zürich - Tel Aviv - Düsseldorf... three shows, three completely different venues and they were all great. Stadium, open field and closed stadium. Great songs in all places.

Good idea for London 2015; I will be there...

sjouke

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 4, 2014 16:39

Paris,Rome and Madrid were all amazing shows and great city's and the women spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Madrid was special for me as I was in the G.C and it really is a different experience.

Australia next and Then hopefully South America and I can't wait.

Thank you so much cool smiley

Nate

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 4, 2014 16:50

Berlin an Vienna for me. I wrote rather detailed reviews of bot of tem, so I will not repet myself here and will just say thay I could not be more satisfied. Both shows were simply amazing.

Date: July 4, 2014 16:53

crawdaddy
Cool pics MingSubu. Love 'em. smileys with beer

Thank you!!! I had a blast taking them.

Date: July 4, 2014 17:09

Oslo and Roskilde. Both great shows.

The time in Oslo prior to the opening show was magical. To see them, hearing them rehearse was fantastic.

I've many new friends from the Stones family. Great tour!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:29

Went to Berlin, only my second Stones show! The guys played much better than Hyde Park.
Hope to see them for the third time next year (if I can save up the cash!).

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:41

Only one this time, but Berlin was great.

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:50

I went to four shows this spring/summer (Landgraaf, Paris, Dusseldorf and Werchter), after the Abu Dhabi show earlier this year. Every week one show and they were all fantastic. My fifth show in Europe would have been Berlin, but due to bad weather the night before, I missed my flight.

I managed to get FOS tickets for Dusseldorf, Berlin and Werchter via the official sellingpoints. The other two shows (Landgraaf and Paris), I got tickets via the All Sold Out – section of www.iorr.org and via the dutch fansite www.stonesforum.nl. I want to thank the persons who contribute in this. Also I had some spare tickets, which I swapped for other shows / sold to fans (for facevalue of course) on the websites as mentioned.

Very special thanks to BV for the good work and updates on this site. I was in the opportunity to thank him personally before the show in Paris.

During the last half year the Rolling Stones where the most important part of my life. Looking for tickets, book flights and hotels, follow the news on iorr, went to see them arriving at Maastricht-Aachen Airport before Pinkpop, go to the shows, see them playing (and they played terrific) and so on, and so on….. Amazing, nobody can take that away from me, never, ever!!!

For me the highlight off this European tour was Paris, shortly followed by Landgraaf, Dusseldorf and Werchter. It’s not only because of the show, but also the atmosphere during my stay before the show, the people who you meet, the weathercircumstances, etc. My last show till now was Werchter (#21 in total). With tears in my eyes I waved goodbye to them. I hope it wasn’t the last show for me but I realise it won’t go on forever. But who knows, maybe South-America and then the UK next year confused smiley

On the question “How was your Rolling Stones European Tour” my answer is: GREAT, SUPERB, AMAZING, TERRIFIC, ROCK ’N ROLL, NOT ENOUGH WORDS TO EXPRESS THAT!!!!

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:57

MingSubu

How I started my days in Amsterdam.

quote]

This is one hell of a breakfast!smileys with beer

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: July 4, 2014 18:16

for me this has been one of the best things I've ever done.

it started with a thought of maybe going to Adelaide, then they announced the tour and I thought I could go, after that they said Abu Dhabi and I had to be there as my friend who helped me fly to Australia lives in Abu Dhabi.

went to Australia with the cancelled tour but met spectacular people and for every ticket I returned in Australia I promised I would get one for Europe.

Europe was planned to be 4 gigs but ended up being 7!

My plan was to document the trip in blog posts and videos, first for myself and second for anyone who would like to follow the adventure.

I am extremely happy I decided to go, that things fell into place and I got to 13 countries, 20 cities, 3 continents and met over 100 fantastic people, most of them from here!

The concerts were each unique, taken one by one they all had special highlights that I will keep in my mind with a big smile on my face, to top that up the feeling of touring from one place to another was absolutely fantastic.

Just a short summary:
- Abu Dhabi: the Stones back with a new tour, first time in UAE, I won the twitter competition and met the band, the most spectacular "You Can't Always Get What You Want" of my life

- Australia: visiting a wonderful continent and meeting huge fans from each city

- Oslo: Europe Opening Night after stormy times, uplifting the mood and setting the tone for what was supposed to be a tour "On Fire"

- Lisbon: amazing venue with 90,000 singing fans, a spectacular Out of Control performance and the show with the most "live premieres" for me

- Zurich: getting closer to the IORR community at the Stray Cat, that was the show I felt the band had the most fun on stage

- Vienna: first surprise of a young and energetic crowd, Keith was on a roll that night

- Rome: a wonderful historical venue with the lovely Italian crowd who sounded just great on "Streets of Love" that I never thought I would hear live

- Madrid: world famous Santiago Bernabeu, crowd became part of the performance during "Like A Rolling Stones" which is very fit for the way I got to attend this concert

- Stockholm: a grand finale for me, a superb atmosphere that I enjoyed from the top of the arena dancing on the top of the seated area.

There are a lot of stories and videos in the links above, still in progress my Stockholm report but at least video is done:

I want to send a huge thanks to the Stones, all the die-hard fans from here, all the people I met on the adventure. It's been amazing!

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: July 4, 2014 18:23

Four shows for me,
PinkPop - Berlin - Vienna - Werchter.
All of ´em amazing,
PinkPop - a festival in the sun (in the Netherlands!!!), surrounded by cool friendly people, protected from the cozy warm sound of John Mayer, finally the Hammer of the Gods strikes - JJF. A gig to die for.
Berlin - the greatest venue I have ever seen, FOS, warm, weird audience-mix, highlight: Waiting On A Friend. Hard to beat!
Vienna - Diamond parking, families with children, but closest to the stage, very nice for a stadium, good audience, good sound, very good concert.
Werchter - GC, long day between rain and shine, funny people in masses all around, lots of liquids, miles to walk from A to B and back, highlight: It´s all Over Now
which sums it up for me, won´t make it to Australia. At least I found a DVD(!) of "25x5" in a shop in Bruxelles the following day. With Japanese side-titles grinning smiley.

How was the tour for me?
A Quadruple Eye- and Eargasm
, something to tell my son about.

MingSubu, your pics give me shivers uo and down!

Cheers, Fillmore
Thank You Rolling Stones

Date: July 4, 2014 18:41

muenke

This is one hell of a breakfast!smileys with beer

Breakfast of champions!!! grinning smiley

Holland was like Baskin Robbins 31 flavors for me. I had to try as many strains as I could get my hands on. It was like heaven. Plus the scenery and girls, what a country!!! I want to live the rest of my days in Holland. I even went back between Dusseldorf and Madrid for my birthday.

[s241.photobucket.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-04 18:55 by MingSubu.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 4, 2014 19:00

4 shows for me berlin, Paris, Rome and Madrid.

1. Madrid (fantastic atmosphere, young crowd, they played Like a Rolling Stonesmiling smiley
2. Paris (plenty of room in pit, great stadium great night)
3. Berlin (great venue)
4. Rome (poor venue, played streets of love the crowd really enjoyed it)

John Nicholls

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 4, 2014 19:12

Watched it from my home. It was a unique experience following a tour in this manner... Very grateful to all those who posted these amazing photos and video...

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home