Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith hands in this tour
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 3, 2014 16:04

Do you think they are hurting? I think that he has a lot of guts for being out there playing with this problem. Do you think he takes any painkiller for his fingers?
Hats off to Keith for still getting out though...even when he doesnt need to.

Re: Keith hands in this tour
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 3, 2014 16:05

How on earth can someone else think they are hurting confused smiley

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 3, 2014 16:21

I guess he looked at photos of Keith's fingers and has read about Keith's arthritis and other health issues. He likes playing and there is a lot of money to be made.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:32

I'm always reluctant to participate in these topics because it's nobody else's business and we can't possibly knowanything .

That said, the athritis type condition that Keith appearsto have suffered with (for a great many years now) is not an especially painful one and would only impede his playing in so much as it limits the flexibility in the end joint of affected fingers and makes some chord shapes a bit of a tight squeeze.
To be honest...for the way Keith plays guitar...I don't think it's such a huge issue.
[I could be completely wrong of course...which is why I probably shouldn't have posted confused smiley}

Date: July 3, 2014 17:37

I hear you Spud. This is sticky territory. I have been a critic of set list, guitar playing and ticket prices.

Yet the bottom line is : God Bless Keith! Thanks for the joy your music has given me/us.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:46

Here's a pretty informative thread about the condition: [www.iorr.org]

Date: July 3, 2014 17:49

deadegad
I hear you Spud. This is sticky territory. I have been a critic of set list, guitar playing and ticket prices.

Yet the bottom line is : God Bless Keith! Thanks for the joy your music has given me/us.

thumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:53

Keith's handing in this tour? I wish he'd hand in that blue jacket instead.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 3, 2014 23:10

stonehearted
Keith's handing in this tour? I wish he'd hand in that blue jacket instead.
I hope He's already sent the blue jacket to late bloomer ......

As to his hands - I think a clue is how he holds them at the end of shows - really marked at the end of HP2 in his robe - often straight ahead and no finger bending .
i suspect but the end of many shows, when the adrenalin has gone down , they are really painful

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 3, 2014 23:14

All one can ask is that Keith performs to the very-best of his ability.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: July 4, 2014 01:49

??????????????????????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-04 16:06 by tioms.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 4, 2014 12:14

Actually it would be interesting with a thread about his hands and also how his hands shaped his playing styles thru the years. The hands always matter and I reckon he accepts his hands - probably - cant move like they used to. I often feel that some of his greatness came from pretty stiff playing at times, very sharp, rhythmic, stabbing but beautiful, like in the mid 70s. One can almost hear how he struggled at times. And that can be good for the music. Like in the 70s. It's like his fingers never were lean or delicate but brutal.

Date: July 4, 2014 18:41

Redhotcarpet
Actually it would be interesting with a thread about his hands and also how his hands shaped his playing styles thru the years. The hands always matter and I reckon he accepts his hands - probably - cant move like they used to. I often feel that some of his greatness came from pretty stiff playing at times, very sharp, rhythmic, stabbing but beautiful, like in the mid 70s. One can almost hear how he struggled at times. And that can be good for the music. Like in the 70s. It's like his fingers never were lean or delicate but brutal.

You have a point. I saw a video of Steve Vai talking about auditioning for Frank Zappa's band and Vai, like him or not, a truly great player, said that Zappa had a very 'visceral' style of playing guitar. Zappa himself said that he could not use his pinky very well and found it difficult to sing and play. One day I was watching a Zappa live video and I got what Vai -- and Zappa -- were talking about.

Date: July 4, 2014 20:04

So how is keith going to keep is chops warm until Australia ?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 4, 2014 20:51

varilla
Do you think they are hurting? I think that he has a lot of guts for being out there playing with this problem. Do you think he takes any painkiller for his fingers?
Hats off to Keith for still getting out though...even when he doesnt need to.

If it was hearting like hell and he wanted to play a bit less, he would have let MT play a bit more.....

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: July 4, 2014 21:10

I thought this was a thread about Keith’s hands confused smiley. Guess it was inevitable that someone would feel compelled to post a “More Taylor” message…

Date: July 4, 2014 21:12

Redhotcarpet

Beautifully written post thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

deadegad
...Yet the bottom line is : God Bless Keith! Thanks for the joy your music has given me/us.

Cheers to that smileys with beer

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 4, 2014 21:35

deadegad
I guess he looked at photos of Keith's fingers and has read about Keith's arthritis and other health issues. He likes playing and there is a lot of money to be made.

For Keith I think money is totally irrelevant issue at this stage, he probably makes more money from all the royalties and record sales in 2014 than from the very expensive concert tours in 2014, in Asia the expenses per concert were about 5 million dollars... I doubt they make huge amounts of money from this tour even if they had a very good deal. In America they probably made more money. Keith wants to play live, that's what he loves to do, that's when he feels he is really alive. Plain and simple.

But that's only my opinion...

Date: July 4, 2014 21:47

rollingon
deadegad
Keith wants to play live "WITH OTHER CATs" that's what he loves to do, that's when he feels he is really alive. Plain and simple.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 4, 2014 23:42

EJM
rollingon
deadegad
Keith wants to play live "WITH OTHER CATs" that's what he loves to do, that's when he feels he is really alive. Plain and simple.

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2014 23:43

.....No Keith wont hand it in ... he'll be there till thee end

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: July 5, 2014 07:42

I'm sorry but after seeing Keith play in video's such as the one with Elvis Costello I can't believe arthritis is all of Keith's troubles. I think age and a very unhealthy lifestyle did more damage than we can see and now he'll have good day's and bad. It's a combination of thing's that have caught up with the guy and how could they not after all these years? He's getting old and some just age better than other's.

Date: July 5, 2014 11:33

deadegad
Redhotcarpet

You have a point. I saw a video of Steve Vai talking about auditioning for Frank Zappa's band and Vai, like him or not, a truly great player, said that Zappa had a very 'visceral' style of playing guitar. Zappa himself said that he could not use his pinky very well and found it difficult to sing and play. One day I was watching a Zappa live video and I got what Vai -- and Zappa -- were talking about.

That is the most common problem for guitarist, though.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2014 11:43

....and those who are skilled in the ancient art of weaving ...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 5, 2014 15:25

rob51
I'm sorry but after seeing Keith play in video's such as the one with Elvis Costello I can't believe arthritis is all of Keith's troubles. I think age and a very unhealthy lifestyle did more damage than we can see and now he'll have good day's and bad. It's a combination of thing's that have caught up with the guy and how could they not after all these years? He's getting old and some just age better than other's.

As you've cited the Costello performance as an example that illustrates what you believe to be evident damage and poor aging caused by a very unhealthy lifestyle, I'd like to respond by sharing some background info about the Feb 26, 2012 appearance w/ Costello that I found @: [www.iorr.org] Several posts report that the performance wasn’t planned and that KR was using an out-of-tune, borrowed guitar for the impromptu appearance.

Chelskeith:
…Guessing Keith hasn't played this song much, and with a guitar that ain't his and it's obviously out of tune for this song, he sounds ok, obviously could be better, but given everything going on, I think people being critical are making a judgment when they don't have all the facts…

Justin:
…I think that was Costello's guitar as we see Costello taking off to give to Keith...

Green Lady:
…By the way, another of these news reports describes Keith as being "coaxed out of the crowd" by Elvis Costello to perform. For an ad-lib on a borrowed guitar…

BTW, just a couple of days earlier on Feb 24, 2012, KR accompanied himself beautifully @ his planned performance at the Apollo theater (and, in anticipation of comments such as “Well, he’s not playing and singing at the same time…” just remember that the great BB King himself cannot now and never could do both simultaneously – and he’s never had a traumatic brain injury, either).

One last thing - just after the bigger Bang tour wrapped, Patti Hansen was diagnosed with cancer and given a 50%-50% chance of survival. In an interview, one of Keith’s daughters said that, of the entire family, he was the most devastated and an absolute wreck. I’ve also read that, for years afterward, he played very rarely or not at all (and Patti said that the home studio had long since been dismantled and repurposed). So, yes, he definitely needed to whip himself into fighting shape for the recent tours and, considering his serious brain injury, long period of dormancy and undeniably gnarled fingers, I think he's done a fantastic job of it thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 15:28 by Plink.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 5, 2014 20:03

EJM
So how is keith going to keep is chops warm until Australia ?

my suggestion would be to move
the fresh tour-spirit into a studio?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 5, 2014 20:12

Spud
I'm always reluctant to participate in these topics because it's nobody else's business and we can't possibly knowanything .

That said, the athritis type condition that Keith appearsto have suffered with (for a great many years now) is not an especially painful one and would only impede his playing in so much as it limits the flexibility in the end joint of affected fingers and makes some chord shapes a bit of a tight squeeze.
To be honest...for the way Keith plays guitar...I don't think it's such a huge issue.
[I could be completely wrong of course...which is why I probably shouldn't have posted confused smiley}
Big Al
All one can ask is that Keith performs to the very-best of his ability.
Spud, i completely agree with you, why should it be anybody else's business aside from his doctor?
Big Al, you're right and that's exactly what we got on this European Tour!
for the sheer joy of it, i will post my favourite moment (4:02)from Waldbühne again:

i didn't have the best viewpoint and thought at first it had to be Ronnie.
but then came the duel. it made me jump down the stone wall to the lower ring

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 20:15 by Nikkei.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: July 5, 2014 20:34

I think the brain injury from the fall out of the coconut tree has more of an impact on his playing than and arthritis to the hands.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 6, 2014 02:13

He's fine

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 6, 2014 04:03

Spud

That said, the athritis type condition that Keith appearsto have suffered with (for a great many years now) is not an especially painful one and would only impede his playing in so much as it limits the flexibility

Keith did confirm in an interview, early 2000s, wish I could point you to it, that it was not the painful variety, just limits dexterity.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home