Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: Roskilde Denmark 3 July 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 5, 2014 16:01

mtaylor
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
DP
"Steel Wings"? Larsson continues to make a fool of himself

Where does he say that? I think he gives a pretty decent review this time around. Remember, he isn't a Rolling Stones fan to begin with. Like most Swedish rock critics his age, he's an indie pop fan.
Håkan Hellström or Kent just have to show up on stage and he will give them five star reviews.

Check out the song-by-song review.

I know what he fancies when it comes to music. I just don't like his need to make a sensation out of everything in music, often by promoting himself.

Yes, Mick was fantastic, but so was the band. And there isn't anything one-dimensional within huge parts of the setlist: SSC, WH, OOC, YGTS, CBS, SFTD, LSTNT, GS in my (not always so) humble opinion smiling smiley

I agree that this review was more balanced, but that also says a lot, I think.

"The Rolling Jagger" smiling smiley
''Steel Wings'' has now been changed to ''Steel Wheels'' in the article, maybe mr Larsson reads iorr grinning smiley

Journalists are normally full of crap - one complint from the show in Roskilde was that they played to slow - well, do you play a blues song full speed on?

Some songs are played to slow and some too fast! Doom And Gloom, Angie are played too fast. Brown Sugar, It's Only Rock N Roll and Can't Be Seen should be played faster to sound even better!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 16:02 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: July 5, 2014 16:49

Very good Midnight Rambler - thanks so much to all the people, who uploads the videos!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 5, 2014 17:55

gipsy12
Very good Midnight Rambler - thanks so much to all the people, who uploads the videos!

That is in fact incredible, I'm so plaeased that the play the bluesy middle part in an extended version like in the seventies. If the tour would last any longer MR counts 20 minutes and more ...

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 5, 2014 18:16

Heh heh, Keith & Mick T. leg kick @ 12:13 min...

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 5, 2014 18:24

Is that Midnight Rambler the longest ever?

Only'competition' is the 1975 tour I think?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 5, 2014 20:49

i'm just back from Roskilde, though i wish i could've stayed.
many thanks to LatvianInExile for organizing me a ride back home.
i love that a livestream was made available for you guys at home. the festival
itself was simply awesome. what a way to end the European Tour!

Date: July 5, 2014 21:05

Stoneage
Yeah, have a good time. And don't forget to enjoy the beautiful Danish women, tasty smörrebröd and Tuborg beers and maybe even a gammeldansk! Der er et yndigt land!
Rolling Hansie
I want whatever Stoneage is on
the stuff he talks about is real! there were even
special Roskilde Tuborg cans. i second the Women part, too

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 5, 2014 21:34

Also after the show, the two hosts came on stage and said that they have found a replacement for Drake, who had to cancel on Sunday. The replacement is Jack White. People being pumped after a Stones show and then getting that message was great to see. Everybody cheered wildly.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 5, 2014 21:42

TheBlockbuster
mtaylor
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
DP

Where does he say that? I think he gives a pretty decent review this time around. Remember, he isn't a Rolling Stones fan to begin with. Like most Swedish rock critics his age, he's an indie pop fan.
Håkan Hellström or Kent just have to show up on stage and he will give them five star reviews.

I know what he fancies when it comes to music. I just don't like his need to make a sensation out of everything in music, often by promoting himself.

Yes, Mick was fantastic, but so was the band. And there isn't anything one-dimensional within huge parts of the setlist: SSC, WH, OOC, YGTS, CBS, SFTD, LSTNT, GS in my (not always so) humble opinion smiling smiley

''Steel Wings'' has now been changed to ''Steel Wheels'' in the article, maybe mr Larsson reads iorr grinning smiley

Journalists are normally full of crap - one complint from the show in Roskilde was that they played to slow - well, do you play a blues song full speed on?

Some songs are played to slow and some too fast! Doom And Gloom, Angie are played too fast. Brown Sugar, It's Only Rock N Roll and Can't Be Seen should be played faster to sound even better!

No, those songs have a perfect tempo, imo.

They played them ridiculously fast earlier, though. CBS in particular.

Date: July 5, 2014 21:59

JumpingKentFlash
Also after the show, the two hosts came on stage and said that they have found a replacement for Drake, who had to cancel on Sunday. The replacement is Jack White. People being pumped after a Stones show and then getting that message was great to see. Everybody cheered wildly.
that is exactly the reason i wished to be able to stay there.
that and the german reggae combo SEEED. it's gonna be awesome

edit: did anybody else see the Mastermusicians of JouJouKa
in the blue tent? they played shortly after the Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 22:00 by Nikkei.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 5, 2014 22:21

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
mtaylor
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
DP

The real reason they play Can't Be Seen so much slower than in 1989-90 I think is beacause Keith would not be able to sing the lyrics that fast now. I thought the 89-90 tempo for that song was perfect and not ridiculous at all!!, but that's just my opinion. Brown Sugar sometimes works in the slower tempo they're playing it in now but more often than not it sounds a bit flat, to compare the ''slow'' 1997-98 versions is much better. The Live Licks version of Brown Sugar is played in the ideal tempo to me. It's Only Rock N Roll, is dead boring live nowadays, listen to the 1997 St Louis version, It rocks so much harder!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 22:22 by TheBlockbuster.

Re: 2014 Rolling Stones tour...
Posted by: HighwayBound ()
Date: July 5, 2014 22:52

dcba
StonesCat
I think some of you are a little slow in catching sarcasm.

thumbs up but it's undeniable they're much better than last year : better shows, no lame guests.
Ok setlists were stiff (but they've always been with the Stones) but the gigs were so much more powerful than last year in the US or in Asia this year.
Keith in particular shone during these 14 shows.

I betcha they'll be even better for the Oz/NZ shows. Just like in 94-95, the best bunch of shows from the whole world tour will be played Down Under.

Which US shows did you see last year as the basis for your opinion? By the way, that's what this is -- your opinion. It's undeniable that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

The US shows did have some lame guests -- agreed -- but they were on longer shows, usually 22 songs, so who cares.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 6, 2014 00:12

Nikkei
Stoneage
Yeah, have a good time. And don't forget to enjoy the beautiful Danish women, tasty smörrebröd and Tuborg beers and maybe even a gammeldansk! Der er et yndigt land!
Rolling Hansie
I want whatever Stoneage is on
the stuff he talks about is real! there were even
special Roskilde Tuborg cans. i second the Women part, too

Of course I know what I'm talking about, Nikkei! You never know with Rolling Hansie though. After all, he's Dutch... (just kidding Hansie. Cheers! And good luck in the WC. 0-0, so far...)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:23

I'M not going to say that was the best "Midnight Rambler" ever because I haven't seen every single one of them but that was certainly one of those special ones. Certainly a highlight among many other high points on this tour. I hope whatever mojo they got will continue for Australians and beyond.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 6, 2014 02:19

JumpingKentFlash

thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: July 6, 2014 03:47

Stoneage
Of course I know what I'm talking about, Nikkei! You never know with Rolling Hansie though. After all, he's Dutch... (just kidding Hansie. Cheers! And good luck in the WC. 0-0, so far...)

i also didn't miss out on the smörebröd. that game was
the hottest of the season. how often do they prolong 30min?

RobertJohnson
That is in fact incredible, I'm so plaeased that the play the bluesy middle part in an extended version like in the seventies. If the tour would last any longer MR counts 20 minutes and more ...

after leaving Tele2 Arena, we presumed we just saw a MR that
was at least 15min long. the first video on the thread clocked
in at 15:06, but wasn't complete. depends on where you define
if Chuck or Keef actually starts the song. anyways, in the morning
i found MT having a smoke in front of Stockholm Grand Hotel and
asked him nicely to sign my ticket. very humble and approachable
guy btw. speaks with a fantastic London drawl. i didn't want to
talk to him about the songs i'd like to hear him on, because i'm
sure there's a "company line" when it comes to talking to strangers.
so i just said: "it keeps getting longer, doesn't it?" his reply
was "on one night it's longer, then it's shorter, who knows?"
and guess what he did come the next evening...

edit Brussels Affair can stay in the cabinet this summer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-06 04:57 by Nikkei.

Posted by: DrSnuggles ()
Date: July 6, 2014 19:11

...and just a small greet from myself to you all...

Doc

Date: July 6, 2014 19:55

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
mtaylor
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
DP

The real reason they play Can't Be Seen so much slower than in 1989-90 I think is beacause Keith would not be able to sing the lyrics that fast now. I thought the 89-90 tempo for that song was perfect and not ridiculous at all!!, but that's just my opinion. Brown Sugar sometimes works in the slower tempo they're playing it in now but more often than not it sounds a bit flat, to compare the ''slow'' 1997-98 versions is much better. The Live Licks version of Brown Sugar is played in the ideal tempo to me. It's Only Rock N Roll, is dead boring live nowadays, listen to the 1997 St Louis version, It rocks so much harder!

Did you hear his reggae/dub/rap on CBS in Roskilde? It was hilarious and fast grinning smiley

I don't think that's the reason for the tempo. In 1989, Keith counted in the song. Today it's a pre-programmed tempo which Chuck counts in. Probably the studio version-tempo.

Re: 2014 Rolling Stones tour...
Posted by: HighwayBound ()
Date: July 7, 2014 02:32

HighwayBound
dcba
StonesCat
I think some of you are a little slow in catching sarcasm.

thumbs up but it's undeniable they're much better than last year : better shows, no lame guests.
Ok setlists were stiff (but they've always been with the Stones) but the gigs were so much more powerful than last year in the US or in Asia this year.
Keith in particular shone during these 14 shows.

I betcha they'll be even better for the Oz/NZ shows. Just like in 94-95, the best bunch of shows from the whole world tour will be played Down Under.

Which US shows did you see last year as the basis for your opinion? By the way, that's what this is -- your opinion. It's undeniable that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

The US shows did have some lame guests -- agreed -- but they were on longer shows, usually 22 songs, so who cares.

I'm guessing dcba that you didn't attend any shows in the States -- you followed them on threads, watched YouTube videos and listened to bootlegs. Should you really be commenting on shows you didn't attend? I notice you like to crap on the shows in 2013.

Date: July 7, 2014 02:32

#>16MR*

*longest Rambler of all Times at Roskilde'14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-10 19:02 by Nikkei.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home