Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Midnight Rambler 50th Anniversary + 14 on fire tour
Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: July 1, 2014 12:45

Hi all just thought i'd start this up with what do you think is the best version of this song so far on the tour for me i think it has to be either glastonbury on sweet summer sun

Re: Midnight Rambler 50th Anniversary + 14 on fire tour
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 1, 2014 12:52

Werchter for me, due to a stratospheric performance by Mick Taylor.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 1, 2014 13:56

I think that the best version of this song with MT is the version from this concert:

2012-12-15, Prudential Center, Newark, NJ
ONE MORE SHOOT

and here the same song - higher quality from the full semi-official video.
[www.youtube.com]

Here Taylor played like in the 70s

Little OT: the best version of Sway and one of the best moment of the tour.

"Sway" - The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor - Staples Center 5/20/13

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-01 14:01 by pepganzo.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: July 1, 2014 14:39

Hate it how Mick cuts Taylor off!

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 1, 2014 17:00

I think this is easily the best song they are playing live right now, PERIOD. ("Satisfaction" is a close second.)

I'd have to revisit the 2013 ones again, but recently Werchter was a really good version. The recording of Werchter in Hot Stuff is very dry, not a lot of echo or PA sound, which makes it an especially good listen. Paris was a really good version, too.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 1, 2014 17:54

"As long as they can play Midnight Rambler, they can go on tour" (quoting myself)

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: July 1, 2014 18:02

The Shanghai rendition was pretty good...

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 1, 2014 18:06

midnight rambler zürich 2014 was so great, the best of the perhaps 15 versions i heard

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: July 1, 2014 23:16

xke38
The Shanghai rendition was pretty good...

thumbs up

Shanghai was FANTASTIC!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 2, 2014 00:21

All dif shades, this recent ones great!

But my fav is this one (Shanghai 2014) for the feedback

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-02 00:23 by Captainchaos.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 2, 2014 00:48

Shanghai

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 2, 2014 00:54

pepganzo
I think that the best version of this song with MT is the version from this concert:

ONE MORE SHOOT

[www.youtube.com]

Little OT: the best version of Sway and one of the best moment of the tour.

"Sway" - The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor - Staples Center 5/20/13

Boner Alert! I have finally heard the guitar solo on "Sway" with Carla Olson. I have just floated high in the sky.

Question for MIDNIGHT RAMBLER scholars
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 2, 2014 00:11

Does Jagger always nowadays "perform" MR in the third-person? As in, "he's gonna smash down all your plate glass windows" instead of "I'm gonna smash down all your plate glass windows"? And I don't think he sings "I'll stick my knife right down your throat" anymore, right?

Did this first-person to third-person performance of the song change at some particular point in their history, or is it a more subtle change that took place over many years in which he went back and forth between "I" and "he"?

Performing the song AS The Midnight Rambler, rather than singing ABOUT The Midnight Rambler, used to have such a visceral effect. I guess perhaps the switch to third-person was done at some point as the band became bigger and bigger to avoid the "edginess" of personifying a serial killer/rapist?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 2, 2014 06:11

I think that the best version of Rambler is yet to come. Last night's version in Stockholm was LONG, clocking in at over 15 minutes! They are giving Taylor a lot more time and room to do his thing, and the crowd loves it.

Date: July 2, 2014 07:49

Just listened to the Stockholm version, its changing from show to show. Awesome to see the improvisation.

Re: Question for MIDNIGHT RAMBLER scholars
Date: July 2, 2014 07:53

LongBeachArena72
Does Jagger always nowadays "perform" MR in the third-person? As in, "he's gonna smash down all your plate glass windows" instead of "I'm gonna smash down all your plate glass windows"? And I don't think he sings "I'll stick my knife right down your throat" anymore, right?

Did this first-person to third-person performance of the song change at some particular point in their history, or is it a more subtle change that took place over many years in which he went back and forth between "I" and "he"?

Performing the song AS The Midnight Rambler, rather than singing ABOUT The Midnight Rambler, used to have such a visceral effect. I guess perhaps the switch to third-person was done at some point as the band became bigger and bigger to avoid the "edginess" of personifying a serial killer/rapist?

At the end of the Stockholm version he says 'stick my knife right down your throat' from what I heard.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 4, 2014 09:51

erad
LongBeachArena72

At the end of the Stockholm version he says 'stick my knife right down your throat' from what I heard.

Good questions. Third-person seems the way these days, but he always sings "I stick my knife right down your throat." The song usually ends there, though on this European leg he added "and it hurts" maybe twice, which is about average. Self-censorship? Maybe? I vaguely recall he modified lines of [Star Star] and Some Girls, and does he still "whip the women" in Brown Sugar? I miss the days when he sang, "I bet you think that you're the only pussy in Portland" (or whatever city they were in). Gender-studies majors may have deeper insights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-04 10:30 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 4, 2014 09:58

Hey, what about an official double CD called "Rambler on fire", containing all 14 versions of Midnight Rambler played in Europe in 2014?

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 4, 2014 10:09

This Rambler is on FIYA!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-04 10:10 by JohnnyBGoode.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 4, 2014 10:42

Close call for me between the Shanghai and Stockholm versions.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:00

pepganzo

ONE MORE SHOOT

[www.youtube.com]

Not by a mile, but he's still the best soloist on guitar up there. thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:24

Stockholm......amazing guitar riffs and also harmonica breathing from jagger
Jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:25

Papo
Hey, what about an official double CD called "Rambler on fire", containing all 14 versions of Midnight Rambler played in Europe in 2014?

I would buy it in a second !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeroen

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:40

DeanGoodman
erad
LongBeachArena72

Good questions. Third-person seems the way these days, but he always sings "I stick my knife right down your throat." The song usually ends there, though on this European leg he added "and it hurts" maybe twice, which is about average. Self-censorship? Maybe? I vaguely recall he modified lines of [Star Star] and Some Girls, and does he still "whip the women" in Brown Sugar? I miss the days when he sang, "I bet you think that you're the only pussy in Portland" (or whatever city they were in). Gender-studies majors may have deeper insights.

Agree about the last line--that does seem to always be first-person. If memory serves, in the late 60's/early 70's (studio, Ya-Ya's, Ladies & Gentlemen, e.g.) the song began in the third person--"did you hear about the Midnight Rambler?"--and then during the breakdown segued dramatically into the first-person: "I'm called the hit-and-run raper in anger." Made for an interesting 10-minute mini blues opera.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:43

I've only listened to it, from den orange couch. Last nite's MR seemed to have some kick to it. Can't wait to sit back and give it a good listen.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 4, 2014 17:55

I thought 7.1.14 was the best but 7.3.14 just surpassed it.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: July 5, 2014 12:56

My short list of extraordinary Ramblers:
Anaheim May 18th, 2013

Philadelphia June 18th,2013

Shanghai March 12th, 2014

Stockholm July 1st, 2014

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 12:57 by MarkSchneider.

Date: July 5, 2014 14:05

You gotta add the Roskilde-version, Mark.

Posted by: stone69 ()
Date: July 5, 2014 14:21

Yeah Dandelionpowderman, the Roskilde version was smoking

Mid song I was smiling from ear to ear, and feeling and thinking wauv this is a F...... great fantastic version, and right at the same time, Keith, Ronnie, MT, was all lighting up in big smiles, like, hey this is smoking and groovin, that one moment, was a very special moment for me doing the concert, just for a moment it was like I was standing right among them, and we where all feeling and thinking the same thing at exactly the same moment

I know my mind is still flying high and playing tricks on me, but hey let me have the illusion :-)

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: July 5, 2014 14:33

Shanghai from 4:30 to 5:30, that's up in the air !

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home