Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

a question about keith
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 7, 2005 15:07

has keith always been the riff master since day 1? or over the years did he become the riff master.

also why does tattoo you always sound fresh comapred to some of the other 80s rolling stones albums???

Re: a question about keith
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 7, 2005 15:17

Yes, Keith has always been the riffmaster. He is the caretaker. He has always been the caretaker.
Maybe it's the mastering on Tattoo. The songs are great. They are pretty timeless; just great rocktunes. rememebr they mostly come from earler sessions anyway. But Undercover was very 80's; too topical. And Dirty Work just wasn't that good. So maybe the freshness comes from the quality of the songs.
TY is often mentioned as one of the finest recorded albums too. Who was it? Clearmountain?

Date: June 7, 2005 15:19

Keith was the lead (solo) guitar player when he played with Brian. When he learnt how to use open-G (and Taylor came in), he started to write more heavy riff-oriented songs (I know... Satisfaction, The Last Time etc., but from JJF and on it became his threadmark).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2005 15:39

mandu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> has keith always been the riff master since day 1?
> or over the years did he become the riff master.

Well, I think Keith is not naturally the most gifted musician nor guitar player, but the man of strong commitment and dedication; so his greatness is a result of time and practise backed with strong will and belief. In this sense I think he is an opposite to his original guitar partner Brian Jones, who never had guts and muscles (and later, time) enough to master guitar nor any other instrument, even despite that he could almost without learning come up with shining riffs like "The Last Time".

>
> also why does tattoo you always sound fresh
> comapred to some of the other 80s rolling stones
> albums???
>

So goddamn true. Maybe because the whole decade just went crazy in the studio. So many buttons, so little time.

- Doxa

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 8, 2005 18:34

The Last Time Riff is BRIAN!!!!

JR

Date: June 9, 2005 10:25

<The Last Time Riff is BRIAN!!!!>

I know Brian plays it, but Keith wrote it.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 9, 2005 10:44

Not on slide, no way.

Date: June 9, 2005 10:48

<Not on slide, no way.>

The Last Time? No slide in there.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 9, 2005 11:40

Excuse me: How do you write riffs on slide?

Date: June 9, 2005 12:41

<How do you write riffs on slide?>

You find out which notes/chords/passages to play, gather it and play it so many times that you can't forget it.

or

You write the notes to play down on paper smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-09 12:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 9, 2005 23:23

Well Brian is playing the riff on slide and ive myself written a couple of riffs on slide so I guess it can be done. No laws against that.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 9, 2005 23:48

Hi there again,

just swa that beatiful documentary from Ginger TV 1999 again and both Keith and Ronnie are asked who of them is the better guitarist:

Ronnie: "Oh why, he knows I am!"

Keith: "I knew he would say that ... But let me tell you something: we're both pretty lousy ... but together, we're better than 10 others!"

I just love those lines!

cheers,
waterrats
[stonesnews.com]

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: June 10, 2005 05:04

Doxa wrote: Well, I think Keith is not naturally the most gifted musician nor guitar player

That's interesting, because neither is Chuck Berry and look what he accomplished.

Keith is like the guy who gets down there with the machine and sweats and tinkers with it until it runs great. And with that sweat and 'dedication' he has created some of the greatest guitar work in rock 'n' roll history. No, it ain't pretty sometimes but (then neither is rock 'n' roll) it sure is powerful/magical.

Ok, what I'm saying is that Keith has more 'funk' and 'heart' then typical guitar 'virtuoso' talent, but, with rock 'n' roll that's where it's at.

Hail, Hail Keith!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Re: no question about Keith
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 10, 2005 09:43

i never get why people define "great guitarist" as "flamboyantly nimble soloist".
"the musicians are there to serve the music," and what Keith Richards does with harmonics and timing and sound and feel serves his music brilliantly. the cat's got music for blood.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: June 10, 2005 10:52

Why does Tattoo You sound so fresh ? Many reasons. The first is the Guitars, they sound strong and I think Chorus effect was used a lot and what was played was played well.

The songs are good songs, some punchy and fun..Hang Fire, T&A, Neighbors.
The production was excellent all the way around.
Mick sings great on every song using a variety of styles.
To me the main difference was the guitar sound on that album. They were not
muddy and over distorted, they were balanced just right

The album, as whole still has that fresh feel. One of their best.

Milo, NYC
It's just a summer romance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home