Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Streets Of Love
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 26, 2014 18:06

Nikkei
GasLightStreet
Could Keith put fairy dust on it as well? Maybe they could bring up the mix so we can really hear Dave Stewart as well.
since SuperHeavy i'm beginning to suspect that Dave Stewart is only
capable of playing one single chord, using Delay to make it mildly interesting

Mildly interesting is a gargantuan stretch when talking about SuperLite. I mean SuperShitty.

Eh, you know what I mean. Whatever that yawn was called.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 26, 2014 18:51

GasLightStreet
Nikkei
GasLightStreet
Could Keith put fairy dust on it as well? Maybe they could bring up the mix so we can really hear Dave Stewart as well.
since SuperHeavy i'm beginning to suspect that Dave Stewart is only
capable of playing one single chord, using Delay to make it mildly interesting

Mildly interesting is a gargantuan stretch when talking about SuperLite. I mean SuperShitty.

Eh, you know what I mean. Whatever that yawn was called.
don't get me started! i would also love to hear the Stones' take
on "I can't take it no more" but i guess that's what they call off-topic =)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 26, 2014 19:51

GasLightStreet
I actually like Biggest Mistake. It's a gazillion times better than Streets Of Awful Bad.

I'd say that's like, the biggest mistake of your life.

Date: June 26, 2014 19:53

Nikkei
GasLightStreet
Watch the ABB talking about the album video, that overcooked piece of PR on the extra disc edition. Keith clearly thinks the song stinks, he's just very nice about it. He added fairy dust to it. Just another mushy Jagger solo song under the name of the Stones. Fairy dust indeed.
you take words out of my mouth: Jagger solo. and since
it seems on-topic: in my mind there exists a perfect version
of ABB. bear with me: "Biggest Mistake" (another Jagger solo)
gets omitted. "Streets of Love" becomes third single and
"Old Habits die Hard" (again: Jagger solo) becomes a Stones
song, Track 5 on ABB. to me the record would be perfect then.
and Jagger could've still used "Biggest Mistake" for Alfie.
how does that sound to you? anyone?

Perfect? Hardly...lose Sweet Neo Con, Biggest Mistake, SOL, Driving To Fast, Infamy and add Under The Radar

Date: June 26, 2014 19:57

All those songs, save SOL, are very good, imo. Radar is ok at best smiling smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 26, 2014 20:14

It's a very good video.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 26, 2014 20:56

DandelionPowderman
All those songs, save SOL, are very good, imo. Radar is ok at best smiling smiley

I have heard "Under the Radar" only a few times, I must admit. However, with the views on "Under the Radar" and "Driving too Fast" switched, I fully agree with your post. In this connection, that agreement weighs more than the point of differing views.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 26, 2014 21:40

71Tele
Of course it makes no sense to have Taylor on this and not on something like Tumbling Dice, but I'll take it. Many people (including Mick and Keith now, apparently) pigeonhole Taylor as a blues guitarist, but the man can go great things with a ballad. I just wish it was Winter and not SOL, but oh well.

SOL is not a favorite of my mine, but Mick seems to have an attachment to this song (and it was a big hit in Europe, or so Im told.)
Maybe he thought MickT could add something to the song, ala Winter, elevate it in some way. I always suspected Jagger missed Taylor more than any other Stone because of what MT could do with Jagger's ballads and melodies. Hence, why he invited him to play on Plundered My Soul, which has a very evocative feel to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-26 21:43 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 26, 2014 22:13

Doxa
Witness

Then I speculate if extra playing time for Mick Taylor, which I strongly hope for, can more naturally be obtained on songs that have not been played live that much, many of them relatively new, where consequently less of an established way of performing the songs has developed (who plays what), and likewise on completely new songs.

I think you are a spot on here. Well, that's at least been my interpretation of their use of Taylor so far. He is used economically and pragmatically 'wisely', so little harm to normal patterns and routines as possible. "Rambler" is a loose blues jam basically; Taylor fits easily. Then we have guitar solo numbers - "Knocking", "Sway" - into which Taylor simply adds his unique contribition, and the band just backs him up, and gives him an isolated spot, the whole thing being 'extra' to their normal routines.

But If we think that "Streets of Love" - like "Slipping Away" - being actually is a sign of that approach you describe here, that also shows that the band appreciates Taylor as a musician who could do any thing needed, and not just an icon player of certain type playing on certain numbers in their past. That is, not treat him just as a 'nostalgia card'.

Anyway, having Taylor there on a number like that is really an interesting decision. It breaks, for example, their current idea of copying the originals so faithfully as possible, since Taylor, by definition, is not a player like that, but makes his unique mark on songs like he did back in his regular days. Just wish they could use his insightful musicality more, since he is able to evolve the songs into new dimensions. But maybe the problem actually is there; he is too unpredictable and adventurous. And who actually is going to expect musical experientalism when entering a Stones show these days?

- Doxa

Good points Doxa.
MT always added things to the live versions of the songs, turned them into something entirely different, ala MR, YCAGWYW, SFD etc...
The Stones are pretty much by-the-numbers these days, and have an entire back-up band that seems well-rehearsed and by-the-book note-perfect.
Also, in the old days, Keith and Charlie and Bill could adapt and flow along musically to Taylor's musical tangents. Musicians seem to lose some of thier spontanaity as they age. Its a physical thing, like an athlete, their bodies - hands and fingers - are just not as quick, stong, fluid and effortless as when they were younger.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 26, 2014 23:11

great in AC

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 26, 2014 23:49

stupidguy2
71Tele
Of course it makes no sense to have Taylor on this and not on something like Tumbling Dice, but I'll take it. Many people (including Mick and Keith now, apparently) pigeonhole Taylor as a blues guitarist, but the man can go great things with a ballad. I just wish it was Winter and not SOL, but oh well.

SOL is not a favorite of my mine, but Mick seems to have an attachment to this song (and it was a big hit in Europe, or so Im told.)
Maybe he thought MickT could add something to the song, ala Winter, elevate it in some way. I always suspected Jagger missed Taylor more than any other Stone because of what MT could do with Jagger's ballads and melodies. Hence, why he invited him to play on Plundered My Soul, which has a very evocative feel to it.

Full set today according to [rockerparis.blogspot.de]

1) Silver Train
2) Ventilator Blues (intro only)
3) Sway ( several attempt -4 or 5)
4) Get out of my cloud
5) Let it bleed
6) Live with me ( with false start)
7) Respectable
------
8) Angie (?)
9) Street of love (x2)
----
10) She's so cold
--------
11) Heartbreaker (x2)
12) Can't You Hear Me Knocking
13) Doom & Gloom
14) Emotional Rescue
15) Moonlight Mile (x2)
16) Shine a light

Well, here was the genesis of the whole thing, when Keith was gone at rehearsals the one day. If only he brought back a few of the others that were run through.

Date: June 26, 2014 23:53

The question is whether Mick was there singing on all these tunes.

In Oslo, Taylor lead a beautiful You Gotta Move-jam, but Mick took a break then.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: June 26, 2014 23:57

Doxa

But If we think that "Streets of Love" - like "Slipping Away" - being actually is a sign of that approach you describe here, that also shows that the band appreciates Taylor as a musician who could do any thing needed, and not just an icon player of certain type playing on certain numbers in their past. That is, not treat him just as a 'nostalgia card'.

I would second that. It`s a sign that Taylor gets a position in the band as musician and not only as speecial guest for iconic playing. In a way he takes the role of Blondie Chaplin adding acoustic or electric guitar whenever its needed or wanted.
But other than Blondie : visible , more audible and on stage !thumbs up

Tom

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 27, 2014 02:28

I do wish the Stones would do " Old Habits" live but of course it will never happen because it's a MICK tune and Keith would RATHER DIE than play it!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 27, 2014 08:00

electricmud
Doxa

I would second that. It`s a sign that Taylor gets a position in the band as musician and not only as speecial guest for iconic playing. In a way he takes the role of Blondie Chaplin adding acoustic or electric guitar whenever its needed or wanted.

Tom

People, don't read too much into it. It's just one song, one time played so far and only a handful of shows to go. I can't see any "evolution" to speak of yet. What has become of the "three guitar attack" we discussed ad nauseum some time ago? So far, any hopes for more Taylor participation always ended in disappointment. Any move that initially looked like a step forward into the right direction (Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, even Slipping Away) was always "corrected" and taken back more sooner than later, with MR remaining the only constant in Taylor's participation, apart from the acoustic guitar on Satisfaction which is little more than a joke (and indeed a sign of Taylor taking over Blondie's role, but not in a good way!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-27 08:02 by alimente.

Date: June 27, 2014 10:06

mickschix
I do wish the Stones would do " Old Habits" live but of course it will never happen because it's a MICK tune and Keith would RATHER DIE than play it!

The only solo tune they have played (apart from Walk And Don't Look Back in 2002) live is Ronnie's Sure The One You Need (written by Keith):

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 27, 2014 12:21

It's a good song.....like out of tears....it's good when they play any thing different

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 27, 2014 12:57

alimente
electricmud
Doxa

Tom

People, don't read too much into it. It's just one song, one time played so far and only a handful of shows to go. I can't see any "evolution" to speak of yet. What has become of the "three guitar attack" we discussed ad nauseum some time ago? So far, any hopes for more Taylor participation always ended in disappointment. Any move that initially looked like a step forward into the right direction (Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, even Slipping Away) was always "corrected" and taken back more sooner than later, with MR remaining the only constant in Taylor's participation, apart from the acoustic guitar on Satisfaction which is little more than a joke (and indeed a sign of Taylor taking over Blondie's role, but not in a good way!).

Well, the first two posts of this exchange of views, where also I took part, dwelt on possibilities and went on to make careful "if"-reflections.

And I commented on the "three guitar attack" as you call it. Neither of the two posts below considered old Stones songs as you focus on, as "a step in the right direction", but instead commented on the possibility that Mick Taylor might play on newer songs not so often played or completely new songs. That was really the point at the outset.

Witness
Some speculative thinking:

From a fan's point of view, the natural solution might be felt as, let the musicians that originally played the songs, do them now live (when that is possible).

But I have gradually begun to gather that this is probably not the natural point of view from the musicians that for years, after the departure of one guitarist, have so to speak taken care of the songs. Along that state of the art, there must have developed more or less one way of doing things. As long as the band has not thoroughy transformed into a three guitar band, which I have dreamed of, maybe it feels awkward for the band to leave the developed way of performing songs, as if that way is to be admittedly considered second rate, and turn back to the original approach to songs.

Then I speculate if extra playing time for Mick Taylor, which I strongly hope for, can more naturally be obtained on songs that have not been played live that much, many of them relatively new, where consequently less of an established way of performing the songs has developed (who plays what), and likewise on completely new songs.

Doxa
Witness

I think you are a spot on here. Well, that's at least been my interpretation of their use of Taylor so far. He is used economically and pragmatically 'wisely', so little harm to normal patterns and routines as possible. "Rambler" is a loose blues jam basically; Taylor fits easily. Then we have guitar solo numbers - "Knocking", "Sway" - into which Taylor simply adds his unique contribition, and the band just backs him up, and gives him an isolated spot, the whole thing being 'extra' to their normal routines.

Anyway, having Taylor there on a number like that is really an interesting decision. It breaks, for example, their current idea of copying the originals so faithfully as possible, since Taylor, by definition, is not a player like that, but makes his unique mark on songs like he did back in his regular days. Just wish they could use his insightful musicality more, since he is able to evolve the songs into new dimensions. But maybe the problem actually is there; he is too unpredictable and adventurous. And who actually is going to expect musical experientalism when entering a Stones show these days?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-27 13:01 by Witness.

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: June 27, 2014 13:45

"Streets of Love" was very beautiful in Rome. I don't think any of the spectators dissliked it. au contraire!
To complain about a song on a setlist of a show one did not attend seems a bit pointless, to say the least..

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 27, 2014 13:54

TDive25
"Streets of Love" was very beautiful in Rome. I don't think any of the spectators dissliked it. au contraire!
To complain about a song on a setlist of a show one did not attend seems a bit pointless, to say the least..

You're beating a dead horse.

Reading Dean's review I don't think he liked it so there's at least one person who attended that doesn't appear to be a fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-27 13:56 by fahthree.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 27, 2014 14:47

After biting my tongue for seven pages of this thread of this I am off to the dear doctor to have it reattached.winking smiley

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 27, 2014 17:15

great song. Great in Atlantic City

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 27, 2014 17:50

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
I actually like Biggest Mistake. It's a gazillion times better than Streets Of Awful Bad.

I'd say that's like, the biggest mistake of your life.

You're, you know, awful bad.

Date: June 27, 2014 19:03

fahthree
TDive25

Reading Dean's review I don't think he liked it so there's at least one person who attended that doesn't appear to be a fan.

Wow, well if at least one person who attended didn't like it, it must have completely bombed.

If only those idiots who were singing along were told...fools eh?

Date: June 27, 2014 19:09

treaclefingers
fahthree
TDive25

Wow, well if at least one person who attended didn't like it, it must have completely bombed.

I guess I should have included the wink so you knew you didn't have to waste your time responding.

Date: June 27, 2014 19:12

fahthree
treaclefingers
fahthree
TDive25

I guess I should have included the wink so you knew you didn't have to waste your time responding.

Damn...I rather enjoyed that bitch-slapping...so painful to feel it come right back at me!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 27, 2014 21:48

treaclefingers
fahthree
treaclefingers
fahthree
TDive25

Damn...I rather enjoyed that bitch-slapping...so painful to feel it come right back at me!

Narcistic rubbish. Please stay on topic.

Date: June 27, 2014 22:24

alimente
treaclefingers
fahthree
treaclefingers
fahthree
TDive25

I thought that WAS being on topic...read the thread title again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-27 22:24 by treaclefingers.

Date: June 27, 2014 22:47

treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
fahthree
treaclefingers
fahthree
TDive25

I thought that WAS being on topic...read the thread title again!

We're being chastised. Uh-oh. winking smiley (I remembered this time)

Back to the topic -- Everyone (except Dean) loved it in Rome. Some people hate it. Others like when they heard it in 2006. I think that sums it all up.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 27, 2014 22:53

fahthree

well, that's just Dean again. could'nt it be that he's tired of being on tour?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home