Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Streets Of Love
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 26, 2014 03:59

StonesCat
Nikkei
what a freakin' awesome singalong! not to be mean to
US audiences, but stuff like that only happens in europe.
don't wait for a next time, get yourself on a plane!
You're right it's cool, but Europe can enjoy the ballad shakeups, while us Americans will take the consolation prize of songs like Knocking, Sway, Shine A Light, and others with a little more drive to them.grinning smiley

you might be right, i didn't check all the setlists from last year out. also you got all those exciting guest appearances. but by all means, the atmosphere on this tour is amazing. with this particular song choice, i believe Mick just wanted to show us they haven't completely forgotten about ABB yet. now, Rough Justice seems a logical next step.

edit: oh, and i did see CYHMK once, in Düsseldorf. even without Taylor, it smoked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-26 04:00 by Nikkei.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 26, 2014 13:46

Bastion

This video just goes to show that my ears did not deceive me on the weekend. SOL sounded fantastic. Listen to the crowd at the end!

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: June 26, 2014 13:53

They all loved it in the concert, and many of my friends that saw the video posted it on their fb page.Not a personal favorite but I can live with that when everyone loves it in a concert.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 26, 2014 14:00

petewasbristol
Bastion

This video just goes to show that my ears did not deceive me on the weekend. SOL sounded fantastic. Listen to the crowd at the end!

Just remember that the Streets Of Love audio in that video actually is from Austin 2006, only the few seconds in the end of the video with the crowd singing is from Rome.

Date: June 26, 2014 14:06

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Of course it makes no sense to have Taylor on this and not on something like Tumbling Dice, but I'll take it. Many people (including Mick and Keith now, apparently) pigeonhole Taylor as a blues guitarist, but the man can go great things with a ballad. I just wish it was Winter and not SOL, but oh well.

If you listen to this SOL-version you'll find that some of Taylor's licks were really great on this song. And it's not blues.

Would you be just as happy if they brought out the bass for him to do TD? smiling smiley

I think at this stage the fans as well need to think outside the box. They have a set, but they want to do some unexpected things, too, once in a while. I think this was a nice surprise that went down really well - even though I'm not a big fan of the studio version. It is indeed good live, though.

I did listen, and you're right, he plays some nice stuff.

As to your list of songs he wasn't on the recorded version of (Gimme Selter, YCAGWYW, etc.), maybe, but he defined those songs live. As for him playing bass on Tumbling Dice, I have no problem with that either.

I agree. He helped defining new versions of these songs live. My point was that he musn't necessarily play what he did on the studio versions, as things like you mentioned happen when he touch newer stuff as well.

If Taylor is only permitted to play on songs he was originally featured on, by that logic we'd have Ronnie on 3 songs per show.
Full members get songwriting credits...if they write songs
If he was a guest, that is smiling smiley

You lost me there. Ronnie did indeed get credits before he was a full member? It was after he became a full member that Mick and Keith closed the shop. He can't have it both ways winking smiley

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 26, 2014 14:16

TheBlockbuster
petewasbristol
Bastion

Just remember that the Streets Of Love audio in that video actually is from Austin 2006, only the few seconds in the end of the video with the crowd singing is from Rome.

Being there in the crowd on Sunday, it sounded fanstico! smiling smileycool smiley This video just cements my opinion even more so (even if it is just for the visuals alone!)

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 26, 2014 14:18

I don't like the song, but on Sunday it sounded unquestionably good!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 26, 2014 14:25

I like "Street Of Love", I wish, I would have heard it in Zürich, Vienna or Düsseldorf.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 26, 2014 14:25

..Geeeeez well luckily they did perform it on a Monday....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: June 26, 2014 14:50

DoomandGloom
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Of course it makes no sense to have Taylor on this and not on something like Tumbling Dice, but I'll take it. Many people (including Mick and Keith now, apparently) pigeonhole Taylor as a blues guitarist, but the man can go great things with a ballad. I just wish it was Winter and not SOL, but oh well.

If you listen to this SOL-version you'll find that some of Taylor's licks were really great on this song. And it's not blues.

Would you be just as happy if they brought out the bass for him to do TD? smiling smiley

I think at this stage the fans as well need to think outside the box. They have a set, but they want to do some unexpected things, too, once in a while. I think this was a nice surprise that went down really well - even though I'm not a big fan of the studio version. It is indeed good live, though.

As to your list of songs he wasn't on the recorded version of (Gimme Selter, YCAGWYW, etc.), maybe, but he defined those songs live. As for him playing bass on Tumbling Dice, I have no problem with that either.
Taylor is over the top enthusiastic and happy on stage. Maybe something is up beyond this tour for him and the band. Nevertheless I find it hard to be upset about his use when he seems blissed.

Yes, thats the saving grace from an unselfish point of view.. Taylor seems happy enough. But wish we had a bit more of course. Something is still better than nothing though... So far we've gotten...

1> Midnight Rambler
2> Can't You Hear Me Knocking
3> Sway
4> Satisfaction
5> Silver Train
6> Slipping Away
7> Love in Vain (although nothing we can see or hear of it)
8> Streets of Love

It'd be nice if we could add Heartbreaker, Till the Next Goodbye & Time Waits for No One ...

Re: Streets Of S***
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 26, 2014 16:23

Stoneage
Still, Skippy hasn't commented on this. I wonder what he has to say about the choice of SOL?

The original thread title says it all.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: June 26, 2014 16:29

It was a great version in Rome. Taylor added some great licks and the whole crowd went crazy. I,I,I,I,I,I,IIIII etc.

See them saturday at Werchter, hope they will play it again.

Re: Streets Of S***
Date: June 26, 2014 16:34

GasLightStreet
Stoneage
Still, Skippy hasn't commented on this. I wonder what he has to say about the choice of SOL?

The original thread title says it all.

The original thread title was Streets Of Love winking smiley

Date: June 26, 2014 16:44

Stoneage
I'm not a SOL-fan, on the contrary. The song is a bit of a sleazeball. But at least they are willing to try something new and even letting Mick Taylor in on it. So I guess we shouldn't complain...

I think what gets people pissed off is they have a gazillion better songs they could play that had Taylor on the LP versions that have never been played live - with Taylor - and they play something awful bad from A BIGGER BANG with Taylor playing on it?!!!??? I get wanting him to play on... maybe I don't, seeing that they've all but completely neutered his playing on songs to just one song (that he did not record on the LP version!) for a good bit of the Euro tour.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 26, 2014 16:45

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

I agree. He helped defining new versions of these songs live. My point was that he musn't necessarily play what he did on the studio versions, as things like you mentioned happen when he touch newer stuff as well.

If Taylor is only permitted to play on songs he was originally featured on, by that logic we'd have Ronnie on 3 songs per show.
Full members get songwriting credits...if they write songs
If he was a guest, that is smiling smiley

You lost me there. Ronnie did indeed get credits before he was a full member? It was after he became a full member that Mick and Keith closed the shop. He can't have it both ways winking smiley

oh yes, mustn't forget Dance Pt 1 and 2 and Pretty Beat Up!

Date: June 26, 2014 16:48

treaclefingers
pmk251
bv
Did you go to the show? Do you live in Italy?

The song was played for those who went to the show, and it was probably one of the most popular songs of the entire performance in Rome. Just read the reports.

I was not in NYC in November 1969. And even if I was out of the country that does not disqualify me from saying that 1) SFTD is a great song; and 2) the band's performance of this song on the 28th was compelling. In later years Jagger's encouragement of the audience's "Woo-woo's" adds little to the performance even if making that noise is fun and enjoyable. I have trouble wrapping my mind around the center image of this song...the streets of love. When I saw the band perform it in Oakland...whenever '06?...Jagger gave it the hard sell and the song seemed interminable. On the big screen Keith looked...disinterested and almost mockingly amused. Nonetheless Taylor's involvement here is curious. I do not hear him doing much, but I wish I did. Many later career songs cry out for his tasteful touch. Biggest Mistake comes to mind. I do not think Taylor can save this song, but I'd like to hear him try. He almost did it with Angie.

But I think we can all agree Keith can be a self-centred prick, so that really observation really doesn't say anything other than it isn't a Keith song.

Watch the ABB talking about the album video, that overcooked piece of PR on the extra disc edition. Keith clearly thinks the song stinks, he's just very nice about it. He added fairy dust to it. Just another mushy Jagger solo song under the name of the Stones. Fairy dust indeed.

Date: June 26, 2014 16:51

laertisflash
I was there. The song was received in an absolutely enthousiastic way. And for sure it works much better live (my conclusion came from the ABB tour, not from Rome's gig only).

One of the most "popular" complaints here is that the Stones are rarely performing stuff from the post- 81 era. Rome's setlist included one song from 1989, one from 1997, one from 2005, one from 2012. Only VL was "out", but sometimes, in other cities, they play "YGMR".

Supposely, fans who usualy complain about the absence of rare songs should be happy with the Rome's list. But, no, now we have the "Why SOL?" game...

Look at the songs...

Date: June 26, 2014 16:56

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
pmk251
bv
Did you go to the show? Do you live in Italy?

The song was played for those who went to the show, and it was probably one of the most popular songs of the entire performance in Rome. Just read the reports.

I was not in NYC in November 1969. And even if I was out of the country that does not disqualify me from saying that 1) SFTD is a great song; and 2) the band's performance of this song on the 28th was compelling. In later years Jagger's encouragement of the audience's "Woo-woo's" adds little to the performance even if making that noise is fun and enjoyable. I have trouble wrapping my mind around the center image of this song...the streets of love. When I saw the band perform it in Oakland...whenever '06?...Jagger gave it the hard sell and the song seemed interminable. On the big screen Keith looked...disinterested and almost mockingly amused. Nonetheless Taylor's involvement here is curious. I do not hear him doing much, but I wish I did. Many later career songs cry out for his tasteful touch. Biggest Mistake comes to mind. I do not think Taylor can save this song, but I'd like to hear him try. He almost did it with Angie.

But I think we can all agree Keith can be a self-centred prick, so that really observation really doesn't say anything other than it isn't a Keith song.

Watch the ABB talking about the album video, that overcooked piece of PR on the extra disc edition. Keith clearly thinks the song stinks, he's just very nice about it. He added fairy dust to it. Just another mushy Jagger solo song under the name of the Stones. Fairy dust indeed.

Here's the original:

Date: June 26, 2014 16:58

TheBlockbuster
petewasbristol
are you sure? because i already slightly suspected that.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 26, 2014 16:58

GasLightStreet
laertisflash
I was there. The song was received in an absolutely enthousiastic way. And for sure it works much better live (my conclusion came from the ABB tour, not from Rome's gig only).

One of the most "popular" complaints here is that the Stones are rarely performing stuff from the post- 81 era. Rome's setlist included one song from 1989, one from 1997, one from 2005, one from 2012. Only VL was "out", but sometimes, in other cities, they play "YGMR".

Supposely, fans who usualy complain about the absence of rare songs should be happy with the Rome's list. But, no, now we have the "Why SOL?" game...

Look at the songs...

If given the choice I would rather have Mick Taylor on Back Of My Hand. I totally get why it was played in Rome. I don't care that it was played and am glad that people enjoyed it. The two times I saw it in 2006 I enjoyed it but, personally, I never have the desire to hear it again.

In contrast, Back Of My Hand I heard a bunch of times (5 maybe) in 2005 and I never got tired of it. Killer song.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:01

Oh yeah, since I didn't see a response...

Moneytalks: written by Angus and Malcolm Young on the AC/DC LP THE RAZORS EDGE.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:02

fahthree
GasLightStreet
laertisflash

Look at the songs...

If given the choice I would rather have Mick Taylor on Back Of My Hand. I totally get why it was played in Rome. I don't care that it was played and am glad that people enjoyed it. The two times I saw it in 2006 I enjoyed it but, personally, I never have the desire to hear it again.

In contrast, Back Of My Hand I heard a bunch of times (5 maybe) in 2005 and I never got tired of it. Killer song.

Taylor would have done fairly well on OOC as well, imo smiling smiley

Date: June 26, 2014 17:10

Why would the Stones officially post a video on YouTube from the 2014 tour with the audio from the 2006 tour that has 2 acoustic guitars in it (neither of which are doing what you see in the video!) yet the video shows only one acoustic with MT playing and magically you can't hear a thing he's playing?
?

Why not post the 2014 audio?

Date: June 26, 2014 17:13

GasLightStreet
Why would the Stones officially post a video on YouTube from the 2014 tour with the audio from the 2006 tour that has 2 acoustic guitars in it (neither of which are doing what you see in the video!) yet the video shows only one acoustic with MT playing and magically you can't hear a thing he's playing?
?

They didn't have access to a good audio version from Rome?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 26, 2014 17:26

GasLightStreet
?

You'll need to buy that as part of the live box set in the fall.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:42

GasLightStreet
you take words out of my mouth: Jagger solo. and since
it seems on-topic: in my mind there exists a perfect version
of ABB. bear with me: "Biggest Mistake" (another Jagger solo)
gets omitted. "Streets of Love" becomes third single and
"Old Habits die Hard" (again: Jagger solo) becomes a Stones
song, Track 5 on ABB. to me the record would be perfect then.
and Jagger could've still used "Biggest Mistake" for Alfie.
how does that sound to you? anyone?

Date: June 26, 2014 17:52

I actually like Biggest Mistake. It's a gazillion times better than Streets Of Awful Bad.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:54

GasLightStreet
I actually like Biggest Mistake. It's a gazillion times better than Streets Of Awful Bad.
no problem with that. but come on, wouldn't "Old Habits"
sound perfect if only played by the Stones? featuring Sheryl Crow and everything?
the lyrics can only be about Keith. i would also love if they just play it live once

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-26 17:57 by Nikkei.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:58

Oh. I see.

Why yes.

Could Keith put fairy dust on it as well? Maybe they could bring up the mix so we can really hear Dave Stewart as well.

Date: June 26, 2014 18:00

GasLightStreet
Could Keith put fairy dust on it as well? Maybe they could bring up the mix so we can really hear Dave Stewart as well.
since SuperHeavy i'm beginning to suspect that Dave Stewart is only
capable of playing one single chord, using Delay to make it mildly interesting

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home