Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Streets Of Love
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 24, 2014 16:18

DandelionPowderman
<From a fan's point of view, the natural solution might be felt as, let the musicians that originally played the songs, do them now live (when that is possible).>

I agree that this won't be natural, as Taylor didn't play guitar on the (final) studio versions of lots of the songs fans dream about having him involved in:

Brown Sugar
Gimmie Shelter
Sympathy For The Devil
Tumbling Dice
Jumping Jack Flash
Midnight Rambler
Honky Tonk Women
You Can't Always Het What You Want

and more...

Instead, let him play the entire show in Roskilde, and be loud where its needed! smiling smiley

Doesn't MT play on HTW?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 24, 2014 16:28

Is this the Italian commercial that made the song so popular in Rome?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 24, 2014 16:45

More Hot Rocks
DandelionPowderman
<From a fan's point of view, the natural solution might be felt as, let the musicians that originally played the songs, do them now live (when that is possible).>

I agree that this won't be natural, as Taylor didn't play guitar on the (final) studio versions of lots of the songs fans dream about having him involved in:

Brown Sugar
Gimmie Shelter
Sympathy For The Devil
Tumbling Dice
Jumping Jack Flash
Midnight Rambler
Honky Tonk Women
You Can't Always Het What You Want

and more...

Instead, let him play the entire show in Roskilde, and be loud where its needed! smiling smiley

Doesn't MT play on HTW?

Yep, he does. I was a little too quick there smiling smiley

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 24, 2014 16:58

andy js
Can someone clarify the rules on posting please ?.

Apparently as i wasn't at this gig, I shouldn't be posting anything about them playing SOS at it. Yet, do my eyes deceive me but aren't MANY other folks that weren't there either posting also?

This will be one quiet board if people can only air opinions that are on shows they've attended themselves wont it ?

Having watched the video it's as bad as i could've imagined.

Spot on assessment. Unfortunately you voiced an opinion that is not popular and therefore are open to criticism.

I could care less that they played this song. What bothers me is the continuing trend of views that run contrary to popular opinion are belittled and attacked by some. This is true on both sides, I should add. Some "negative" posts are very nasty and are offensive. Some posts aren't all offensive other than they don't agree with others. I actually had a post reported once as offensive where I said that I never shouted down someone who had a different opinion than mine.

We're all Stones fans. It's why we're here but if we can't live with the fact that people are different and have different tastes, as BV himself pointed out, than we should all be ashamed.

Personal attacks on band members and board members is wrong, but saying you don't like Streets Of Love is not.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: June 24, 2014 17:05

And didn't he play on BS at the Muscle Shoals sessions DP?

Ps - and bass on TD? My memory may be failing me though...drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 17:08 by OzHeavyThrobber.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 24, 2014 17:08

fahthree
andy js

Apparently as i wasn't at this gig, I shouldn't be posting anything about them playing SOS at it. Yet, do my eyes deceive me but aren't MANY other folks that weren't there either posting also?

This will be one quiet board if people can only air opinions that are on shows they've attended themselves wont it ?

Spot on assessment. Unfortunately you voiced an opinion that is not popular and therefore are open to criticism.

I could care less that they played this song. What bothers me is the continuing trend of views that run contrary to popular opinion are belittled and attacked by some. This is true on both sides, I should add. Some "negative" posts are very nasty and are offensive. Some posts aren't all offensive other than they don't agree with others. I actually had a post reported once as offensive where I said that I never shouted down someone who had a different opinion than mine.

We're all Stones fans. It's why we're here but if we can't live with the fact that people are different and have different tastes, as BV himself pointed out, than we should all be ashamed.

Personal attacks on band members and board members is wrong, but saying you don't like Streets Of Love is not.

Hmmm... I'd have said that it was saying you do like Streets of Love that was contrary to popular opinion! smiling smiley

In this particular case, having been at a show where SOL was played is relevant, because it's a whole different animal from the studio version. Doesn't mean you can't have an opinion if you weren't there - just that you don't have one piece of useful experience to form that opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 17:10 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 24, 2014 17:10

Taylor is on the studio version of Brown Sugar.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 24, 2014 17:16

fahthree
andy js

This is about a live song though? Not a song on record, but a live song. Surely posters who were not there can understand that they cannot have a better opinion than those who were actually stood in the hot sun for up to ten hours and heard it with their own ears, with thousands of others who were there. Of course everyone can have an opinion, but the general consensus from most who were there (and i'm not going to say everyone) is that on Sunday SOL sounded great and the crowd really responded positively to the song. That's all that matters at the end of day. We paid our money and got a great performance.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 24, 2014 17:32

I went down well where I was. I was actually queuing for water at the time... I hate missing songs and usually don't leave my spot during the show but was so dehydrated, I had to get more water.

Lucky the water stand was quite close to my spot on the pit area slope so I didn't really miss much, and everyone by the drinks stall was singing and enjoying the song.

I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't have been my first choice but I enjoyed it.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 24, 2014 17:39

petewasbristol
fahthree

This is about a live song though? Not a song on record, but a live song. Surely posters who were not there can understand that they cannot have a better opinion than those who were actually stood in the hot sun for up to ten hours and heard it with their own ears, with thousands of others who were there. Of course everyone can have an opinion, but the general consensus from most who were there (and i'm not going to say everyone) is that on Sunday SOL sounded great and the crowd really responded positively to the song. That's all that matters at the end of day. We paid our money and got a great performance.

I always took the initial post to be expressing andy js' disdain for the song in general and questioning why they would play it. His initial post didn't refer to the live version. He thinks Streets Of Love is a turd -- fine by me.

Ultimately, you're right, it's the opinion of the people were there that carries the greatest weight. The dialogue, in general, should be open which is a problem on this board sometimes.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 24, 2014 18:09

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Of course it makes no sense to have Taylor on this and not on something like Tumbling Dice, but I'll take it. Many people (including Mick and Keith now, apparently) pigeonhole Taylor as a blues guitarist, but the man can go great things with a ballad. I just wish it was Winter and not SOL, but oh well.

If you listen to this SOL-version you'll find that some of Taylor's licks were really great on this song. And it's not blues.

Would you be just as happy if they brought out the bass for him to do TD? smiling smiley

I think at this stage the fans as well need to think outside the box. They have a set, but they want to do some unexpected things, too, once in a while. I think this was a nice surprise that went down really well - even though I'm not a big fan of the studio version. It is indeed good live, though.

I did listen, and you're right, he plays some nice stuff.

As to your list of songs he wasn't on the recorded version of (Gimme Selter, YCAGWYW, etc.), maybe, but he defined those songs live. As for him playing bass on Tumbling Dice, I have no problem with that either.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 24, 2014 18:55

Play a damn rocker off that the CD for chrip sakes

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:05

This song is AMAZING LIVE! I was lucky enough to hear it in Foxboro, Ma in 2006 and the crowd LOVED it then too! Mick sang it beautifully, it is SO NOT CORNY live! Of course, you can't please everyone but give the Stones a BREAK for God's sake! They added a new tune to the set list, be HAPPY about THAT!

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:15

After watching the vid's, SOL sounded GrrrEAT in Rome! Mick's voice was emotional and quivering, like on the CD. The audience was singing along, which is always FUN. I hope they continue to play it. Would also love to hear Laugh, I Nearly Died.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:17

man I just watched streets of love on Youtube I would have loved to have heard this song when the stones were in Macau.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: Streets Of S***
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 25, 2014 05:49

drbryant
I find it sad that people feel compelled to post stuff like this - in fact I find it awful sad.
yeah, i think the setlist whiners crossed the Rubicon. it's evident that nothing can please them. it's high time the Stones bring Rough Justice upon them. how about that one for Madrid?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 25, 2014 05:55

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Of course it makes no sense to have Taylor on this and not on something like Tumbling Dice, but I'll take it. Many people (including Mick and Keith now, apparently) pigeonhole Taylor as a blues guitarist, but the man can go great things with a ballad. I just wish it was Winter and not SOL, but oh well.

If you listen to this SOL-version you'll find that some of Taylor's licks were really great on this song. And it's not blues.

Would you be just as happy if they brought out the bass for him to do TD? smiling smiley

I think at this stage the fans as well need to think outside the box. They have a set, but they want to do some unexpected things, too, once in a while. I think this was a nice surprise that went down really well - even though I'm not a big fan of the studio version. It is indeed good live, though.

As to your list of songs he wasn't on the recorded version of (Gimme Selter, YCAGWYW, etc.), maybe, but he defined those songs live. As for him playing bass on Tumbling Dice, I have no problem with that either.
Taylor is over the top enthusiastic and happy on stage. Maybe something is up beyond this tour for him and the band. Nevertheless I find it hard to be upset about his use when he seems blissed.

Date: June 25, 2014 08:47

OzHeavyThrobber
And didn't he play on BS at the Muscle Shoals sessions DP?

Ps - and bass on TD? My memory may be failing me though...drinking smiley

He played, but they apparently didn't keep the tracks. Bass on TD indeed, but I said guitar in my post.

Date: June 25, 2014 08:50

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

I agree. He helped defining new versions of these songs live. My point was that he musn't necessarily play what he did on the studio versions, as things like you mentioned happen when he touch newer stuff as well.

Date: June 25, 2014 08:50

Stoneburst
Taylor is on the studio version of Brown Sugar.

Where? I only hear him on the outtakes.

(PS: I know he is credited in the liner notes)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-25 10:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 26, 2014 01:20

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

I agree. He helped defining new versions of these songs live. My point was that he musn't necessarily play what he did on the studio versions, as things like you mentioned happen when he touch newer stuff as well.

If Taylor is only permitted to play on songs he was originally featured on, by that logic we'd have Ronnie on 3 songs per show.

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: June 26, 2014 01:25

Personally, never liked SOL. It seemed natural choice for Italian crowd. The song was and still is very popular on the stations here (and in the bars). I was supprised couple months ago when visiting Italy, to hear also Rain Falling down from ABB played constantly on the radio stations...

Date: June 26, 2014 01:25

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

If Taylor is only permitted to play on songs he was originally featured on, by that logic we'd have Ronnie on 3 songs per show.

If he was a guest, that is smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 26, 2014 01:31

Streets Of Love .... I wanna stagger through 'em ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 26, 2014 02:21

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 26, 2014 02:31

Streets of Love is the "Miss You" of Spain.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 26, 2014 02:40

Witness

Then I speculate if extra playing time for Mick Taylor, which I strongly hope for, can more naturally be obtained on songs that have not been played live that much, many of them relatively new, where consequently less of an established way of performing the songs has developed (who plays what), and likewise on completely new songs.

I think you are a spot on here. Well, that's at least been my interpretation of their use of Taylor so far. He is used economically and pragmatically 'wisely', so little harm to normal patterns and routines as possible. "Rambler" is a loose blues jam basically; Taylor fits easily. Then we have guitar solo numbers - "Knocking", "Sway" - into which Taylor simply adds his unique contribition, and the band just backs him up, and gives him an isolated spot, the whole thing being 'extra' to their normal routines.

But If we think that "Streets of Love" - like "Slipping Away" - being actually is a sign of that approach you describe here, that also shows that the band appreciates Taylor as a musician who could do any thing needed, and not just an icon player of certain type playing on certain numbers in their past. That is, not treat him just as a 'nostalgia card'.

Anyway, having Taylor there on a number like that is really an interesting decision. It breaks, for example, their current idea of copying the originals so faithfully as possible, since Taylor, by definition, is not a player like that, but makes his unique mark on songs like he did back in his regular days. Just wish they could use his insightful musicality more, since he is able to evolve the songs into new dimensions. But maybe the problem actually is there; he is too unpredictable and adventurous. And who actually is going to expect musical experientalism when entering a Stones show these days?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-26 02:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 26, 2014 02:54

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Full members get songwriting credits...if they write songs
If he was a guest, that is smiling smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 26, 2014 03:24

Bastion

what a freakin' awesome singalong! not to be mean to
US audiences, but stuff like that only happens in europe.
don't wait for a next time, get yourself on a plane!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 26, 2014 03:47

Nikkei
Bastion

what a freakin' awesome singalong! not to be mean to
US audiences, but stuff like that only happens in europe.
don't wait for a next time, get yourself on a plane!

You're right it's cool, but Europe can enjoy the ballad shakeups, while us Americans will take the consolation prize of songs like Knocking, Sway, Shine A Light, and others with a little more drive to them.grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home