Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why aren't more Live Concerts PPV?
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 22, 2014 18:56

If every concert is recorded, why not provide availability to public per PPV? For example, I saw Bruce in Sunrise and Stones late year at Boston(2); TV cameras were everywhere.

If TV can routinely PPV events such as WWE, Boxing, etc... Why aren't there more opportunities, remotely, to see Music live??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-22 19:02 by Chris Fountain.

Re: Why aren't more Live Concerts PPV?
Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:01

Great point hmmm? I'd order bands I like. MEZ

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:02

I'd assume the concert would have to be a sell out and then PPV could be available. Otherwise, people would not pay the premium for live shows.. Similar to major sporting events. If home team isn't a sold out stadium local tv to the game is blacked out..

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:08

The Stones hardly ever played by the common commercial rules. By standards of what they teach at MBA schools the Stones are market leaders - they have a winning brand. The dictate the rules. They do not (if to generalize) react to others rules. The Stones concept had always been that the mass production Stones relics (concert films/recordings/DVD's) are representing a certain lever of perfection. Where needed - they overdub. Sometimes even when not needed. They (almost) always leave that part of the product that seems to broadcast "NO - we are not going to give you exactly what you want and expect". That's is why, my friends, the Stones - having behind them HUNDREDS of post 1973 (the last year where the just played with no gimmics on stage) sloppy/bad/poor performances - but still the common person would always claim they are masters of perfection onstage.

Starting to sell all over the place their concert documentation is against the bands "brand".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-22 20:10 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:15

I assume its gotta do with the fact that not many people would care about PPV at this point. In the 90s, that was a pretty big deal. But now, its kind of child's play with the stuff they can do on the internet. I swear before the Stones NJ concert, I hadn't heard about PPV concerts probably since the last time the Stones did something like that.

And secondly, because most bands probably think it loses them money at the actual shows. If you could just watch it on TV, why even go to the show? You've already seen the show. For bands that play the same setlist all the time, its no surprise they don't want to broadcast shows instead of having people fill the seats at the regular concerts.

Those are just two guesses of course.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:16

Regardless of whether the shows are sold out, my guess is the number of people who'd do PPV for Stones'
concerts just isn't worth the ROI for them.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:24

The Stones Newark PPV in 2012 was a huge money loss for the WWE people who paid broadcast rights for that show...most people don't want to shell out the bucks for a concert that'll be up the very next day for free on Youtube and torrents sites!

Date: June 22, 2014 20:39

RollingFreak
I assume its gotta do with the fact that not many people would care about PPV at this point. In the 90s, that was a pretty big deal. But now, its kind of child's play with the stuff they can do on the internet. I swear before the Stones NJ concert, I hadn't heard about PPV concerts probably since the last time the Stones did something like that.

And secondly, because most bands probably think it loses them money at the actual shows. If you could just watch it on TV, why even go to the show? You've already seen the show. For bands that play the same setlist all the time, its no surprise they don't want to broadcast shows instead of having people fill the seats at the regular concerts.

Those are just two guesses of course.

PPV and live are two different approaches. Of course if the Stones or any of my favs are in town, I will attend regardless. However there may be a person in Alaska that might want to see the concert but distance interferes.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:58

Will borrow some thread space for a question about an issue that is also relevant-

What were the arrangments allowing a TV broadcasting of some of the post 1989 Stones concerts? I recall Barcelona and Buenos Aires, for an example.

In certain countries a Stones concert is (still) somewhat of a cultural event and if broadcasted on TV up to a certain time after the show - might get hish rating.

I recall reading something about one of those past TV shows (BUenoas Aires?) not airing with full blessing by the band. Is there a reason these do not happen anymore?

Date: June 22, 2014 23:18

Mr.D
The Stones Newark PPV in 2012 was a huge money loss for the WWE people who paid broadcast rights for that show...most people don't want to shell out the bucks for a concert that'll be up the very next day for free on Youtube and torrents sites!
If they want a successful PPV, they should not only offer it via cable and Internet (like they did), but also have it available at a cheaper price. I'd venture to guess that they would have made more money if the cost were $25 instead of the $50 it was here in North America. I know that personally, if I'd spend $50 on a concert video, I'd like the option to view it again and again (for longer than a month)...I suppose I'm asking that if they were to release the show as a download, would they have made more money or would the Stones' people get that profit?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 23, 2014 00:43

There would be interest in one-time events, but I don't think that there are enough people interested in PPV - if they want to see the show, they'll buy tickets. The concert experience is just superior to the PPV experience - unlike sports, it's hard to capture a good show on TV.

Date: June 23, 2014 01:00

drbryant
There would be interest in one-time events, but I don't think that there are enough people interested in PPV - if they want to see the show, they'll buy tickets. The concert experience is just superior to the PPV experience - unlike sports, it's hard to capture a good show on TV.

Shouldn't folks that have no access be afforded an opportunity? For example, I do not mind paying PPV to see the Stones in Rome.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:17

The cameras doing pro shots at the shows are there to transmit to the video screens above the stage. I don't think the commercial consideration comes into it. Besides, they've already done a PPV in 2012, and this involves making deals and etcetera, and with that in mind there's market oversaturation to consider. Plus, since the 2012 PPV there has been the considerable broadcast of Glastonbury over the BBC and also Hyde Park, not only via BBC but also on DVD.

Besides, who needs PPV when there's YouTube FPV (free per view)?

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:24

The only PPV the Stones should ever do from here on in is if they play the Antarctic.

Even then though they would have fans chartering ships andplanes to get there winking smiley

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:45

I live in the USA , would pay for ppv of the Rome concert

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:49

Cos shows that are filmed are streamed on the Net, recorded by some tech-savvy fans and shared for free on torrent sites... thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 23, 2014 13:40

MONEY. you can make more money selling tickets than 20 or 30 dollars for pay per view.

Date: June 23, 2014 14:28

dcba

Cos shows that are filmed are streamed on the Net, recorded by some tech-savvy fans and shared for free on torrent sites... thumbs up

Beware - nothing is free.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 23, 2014 23:13

Forget PPV. I'm more for VFF (View for Free) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: June 26, 2014 08:10

Would love to see more concert availabilities. smileys with beer

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: June 26, 2014 15:20

I worked in this industry back in the day. The simple reason why you don't see more shows on PPV is that they don't do big numbers, there just isn't demand.
Even shows that were big deals at the time were never big sellers. Their sales paled in comparison to those of wrestling and boxing. The high cost of doing a live event means this is not a profit center.

My current provider, Verizon Fios, does offer commercially available shows on demand like, Ladies and Gentleman and the Checkerboard Lounge for $4.99

However, there is an opportunity, but not for a live broadcast. If they were to offer past shows for streaming or download on their website for a fee of $5-10 it could do well. Comedian Louis CK offered shows on his website for $5 and made millions.

They probably feel that if they offered current shows during a tour it would negatively impact ticket sales. Why pay $85 - $1,000 for a ticket when you can stay home and the whole family can watch it for $10? They should offer shows from the vault, from prior tours, which would generate interest in the current tour. Then when they're off the road they can go back and make the most recent shows available.

Date: June 26, 2014 18:55

mrsoandso
I worked in this industry back in the day. The simple reason why you don't see more shows on PPV is that they don't do big numbers, there just isn't demand.
Even shows that were big deals at the time were never big sellers. Their sales paled in comparison to those of wrestling and boxing. The high cost of doing a live event means this is not a profit center.

My current provider, Verizon Fios, does offer commercially available shows on demand like, Ladies and Gentleman and the Checkerboard Lounge for $4.99

However, there is an opportunity, but not for a live broadcast. If they were to offer past shows for streaming or download on their website for a fee of $5-10 it could do well. Comedian Louis CK offered shows on his website for $5 and made millions.

They probably feel that if they offered current shows during a tour it would negatively impact ticket sales. Why pay $85 - $1,000 for a ticket when you can stay home and the whole family can watch it for $10? They should offer shows from the vault, from prior tours, which would generate interest in the current tour. Then when they're off the road they can go back and make the most recent shows available.
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home