Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 13 of 15
Re: Rome Italy 22 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: June 24, 2014 22:07

skyhawk
Yes, I will be going to Werchter as this will be my last Stones-show of this year for me after Abu Dhabi, Landgraaf, Paris and Duesseldorf. I planned to go to Berlin as well, but I missed my flight due to heavy traffic on my way to the airport, because of heavy thunderstorms the nigth before in Nordrhein Westfalen. I hope you will make it to Madrid and/or Werchter. If you do so, I already looking forward to read your reports of these shows. And who kmows, maybe we will meet each other there in the pit/golden circle.

I have an extra ticket for Stockholm and I am inviting you to join smiling smiley Madrid looks better, I've booked a bus to be there tomorrow afternoon, from there I'm also anxious to see how the story will go.

Seems we've only met in Abu Dhabi so far but together we almost have a complete tour smiling smiley

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 24, 2014 22:18

if you don't find anybody to accompany you to stockholm, i would be more than glad to help out =) i have only 3shows on this tour so far and i just missed out on rome. am about to miss out on madrid too, i'm afraid

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: June 24, 2014 22:22

zgubi
skyhawk
Yes, I will be going to Werchter as this will be my last Stones-show of this year for me after Abu Dhabi, Landgraaf, Paris and Duesseldorf. I planned to go to Berlin as well, but I missed my flight due to heavy traffic on my way to the airport, because of heavy thunderstorms the nigth before in Nordrhein Westfalen. I hope you will make it to Madrid and/or Werchter. If you do so, I already looking forward to read your reports of these shows. And who kmows, maybe we will meet each other there in the pit/golden circle.

I have an extra ticket for Stockholm and I am inviting you to join smiling smiley Madrid looks better, I've booked a bus to be there tomorrow afternoon, from there I'm also anxious to see how the story will go.

Seems we've only met in Abu Dhabi so far but together we almost have a complete tour smiling smiley

Thank you very, very much for the offer of the spare ticket Stockholm, but a really can't make it there (you know: sometimes you have to workconfused smiley).
As I read from your earlier reports, you will make it to Madrid and get into the stadium, I'm sure.
And indeed, except from Tel Aviv, Berlin and Roskilde we have a full tour together smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2014 23:37

Nikkei
if you don't find anybody to accompany you to stockholm, i would be more than glad to help out =) i have only 3shows on this tour so far and i just missed out on rome. am about to miss out on madrid too, i'm afraid

I have an extralucky dip ticket so if you're interested please get in touch on e-mail

skyhawk
Thank you very, very much for the offer of the spare ticket Stockholm, but a really can't make it there (you know: sometimes you have to workconfused smiley).
As I read from your earlier reports, you will make it to Madrid and get into the stadium, I'm sure.
And indeed, except from Tel Aviv, Berlin and Roskilde we have a full tour together smiling smiley

thanks for the boost of confidence, so far things have been falling in place very well. tomorrow I have a loooong bus ride to Madrid, planning to put something more detailed together about Rome

Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 25, 2014 00:36

Glad my report wasn't too long and rambling for people!

It's hard to get back to reality now - and I'm half thinking of trying to do some serious rearranging of things and trying to make at least one more show.... I'll see what I can do.

At least I've now bought a Rome T-shirt. Ordered one online and looking forward to it arriving.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 25, 2014 00:49

Yes, you had to get the T shirt, Martha T!

Thanks so much for the report...I love to read aoubt the glitches as well as the more pleasant highlights.
Very refreshing, honest, reflecting more than just your experience on getting to and into shows, I can attest. cool smiley

Thanks to everyone for your details.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:10

Gimme Shelter

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 25, 2014 02:13

just got back from a long stones weekend in rome
got early in the morning to collect my ticket, it was a dip but i was not lucky smiling smiley
a run at noon under the rome hot sun got me and my friend a very good spot on keith side mid way and quite close to the runway
never in my life i had wished so hard for a sun to set..
when it did over the stage around 6 pm we gave a warm round of applause in relief
then at 8 came john mayer, well i have to say he is a pretty goood guitar player but man! his songs are sooooo boring and so clichè, i think the refrain of "people get ready" came to my lips about five times listening to his numbers, i mean he is nice but... anyway he did a good double solo on respectable though ronnie blew him away and keith stepped up really well
now the stones

the low moments first
td: it is one of my fav tunes but last nite it was phoned in
cbs: it is just a song that simply can't stand close to btmmr or happy, it is just not a top keith song
bs: keith f*+&#d up the opening riff big time, too much @#$%& up, it spoiled me
sftd: they just missed the ending and had to play it longer. it is that damn sampled marimbas that is in control, when mick will trash that it will always be too late... anyway he gave a laugh and did the rooster some more.i cant really moan on that smiling smiley
also keith was good on this exspecially on the second solo and up until the end

the high moments
JJF: it is a killer of an opening, tight, so beautiful to sing the chorus along with somethousand people
iorr: it always surprises me how fun and how fine this song works. it is always my first choice when i think of a war horse that they can dispose of but then..
sol: i must admit.. i feel awful for this but :-) .. it worked really well and although mick sang most of the lyrics reading the teleprompter the song sounded as they play it every night. keith acoustic was great on that
respectable: as fast as they can get now and really rolling
mr: of course
satisfaction: i get so much of it hearing it, so great, so fun, so good

but the absolute roar by the crowd, at least where i was standing, they got with GS. I kept my eye my ears and my everything fixed on keith and i was really happy smiling smiley

ooc, lstnt with the shared microphone (was scorsese in charge of the shoooting lastnight ;-) ) and the rest was good enough to make it for me another really good stones concert, a rock and roll concert as it is meant to be
i am so grateful for that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-25 02:16 by maumau.

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:51

Just got back from Rome. This was red hot!!!!
They really are ON FIRE!!

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: June 25, 2014 04:12

What makes these European shows better is the fans are much more passionate
than we were in the US. We did not support the band attendance wise and they had to practically give away tickets to fill venues. Great to see large , enthusiastic , crowds unlike the mostly old and boring audiences we had here.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 25, 2014 04:19

Brstonesfan
What makes these European shows better is the fans are much more passionate
than we were in the US. We did not support the band attendance wise and they had to practically give away tickets to fill venues. Great to see large , enthusiastic , crowds unlike the mostly old and boring audiences we had here.

Check out this under Hot Stuff: Re: Post: (soon) Waldbuhne Berlin Germany June 10, DVD

Posted by: werther2003 ()

Date: June 14, 2014 10:37

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Just after performing the song on stage with The Rolling Stones in Berlin the choir enjoyed the crowd on the platform with this impromptu performance.
Midnight in Pichelsdorf ... what a night!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 25, 2014 04:20

I was only in one US audience, but it wasn't old and boring. confused smiley I think the US tickets were over-priced, it wasn't that the fans were any less passionate. And they did lucky dips in Europe, too.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 25, 2014 04:25

There is only one place in the USA I will go and that is MSG (or whatever they call it now). The European fans are quietly dedicated.

Date: June 25, 2014 10:29

<quietly dedicated>

I'd say loudly dedicated winking smiley

Posted by: marcosp63 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 12:21

[video.repubblica.it]

Complete show in four minutes. (Pictures from Circo Massimo's Concert)

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 25, 2014 13:43

maumau

the low moments first
td: it is one of my fav tunes but last nite it was phoned in
cbs: it is just a song that simply can't stand close to btmmr or happy, it is just not a top keith song
bs: keith f*+&#d up the opening riff big time, too much @#$%& up, it spoiled me
sftd: they just missed the ending and had to play it longer. it is that damn sampled marimbas that is in control, when mick will trash that it will always be too late... anyway he gave a laugh and did the rooster some more.i cant really moan on that smiling smiley
also keith was good on this exspecially on the second solo and up until the end

Funny like we all hear things differently!

I am not a big fan of the 1989 onwards TDices, but in Rome it was truly something else.

CBS was a surprise. I read so many bad reviews that I was prepared for the worse. Instead it blew me away, from the very first chord. I mean, can you remember THAT very first chord?

It made me go back to the studio version (which I never truly liked) and appreciate it from a different perspective. (Same as with Slipping away: the 95 version made me finally see the light in the album version!).

BS: I truly can't remember Keith @#$%& up the intro. Sure I can remember some minor problem here and there, but the intro was fine to me (but who knows). I can remember Keith nailing the Start Me up intro, and as soon as I commented "great, he got it right this time", he delivered some atrocious @#$%& up that made me LOL.

Devil. I am quite sure that it was Keith who "arrived long" at the end. Agree with all the rest that you wrote.

C

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: June 25, 2014 13:55

I hope they will release soon the youtube trailer they upload from each city.Is it going to be a dvd from this summer tour?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 25, 2014 14:08

In "Brown Sugar" Keith ALMOST screwed up the riff, but it was fairly noticeable. It was awkward during the "I bet your mama was a tent show queen..." part, because Mick started singing it too early, and the chord changes didn't match so well. But they sorted it out in a few seconds.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: June 25, 2014 14:11

Just back from ROMA, Fantastic 4 days in the city...+ The concert, I Had a wonderful time

First part of my pics from the show here:
http://rockerparis.blogspot.fr/2014/06/the-rolling-stones-circo-massimo-roma.html

The band on "Streets of Love":

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: June 25, 2014 14:14

Second part of my picsfrom Circo Massimo in Roma:
http://rockerparis.blogspot.fr/2014/06/the-rolling-stones-part-2-circo-massimo.html

"Midnight rambler":

"Gimme Shelter":

Finale:

Date: June 25, 2014 16:56

Rome On Fire.

Italy has always been very welcoming for me. Rome was the first city I ever visited outside Romania and it had quite the impact with all it’s historic, cultural, cinematic, culinary and dolce lifestyle legends.

I’ve since traveled several parts of Italy and Europe and even made it to new continents.

A couple of weeks back I was in Rome for one hour as part of my complex plan to get home via 4 countries in one day. I could only visit one place so I went to Circo Massimo and walked to Coliseum.

From the announcement of the tour Rome and Madrid were top on my list of concerts I wanted to attend, they had been sold out before I got the word they were going on sale so missed out tickets.

I made it up by working out a scheme to attend other shows for which I was able to get Lucky Dip tickets, find creative ways of getting there etc.
Last week I had a one way flight to Rome, no return flight, no ticket and no idea if I should simply get on the plane and take it from there or maybe stay home and keep it cool for a while.

It’s been a very intense year so far, many trips, mostly all around the Stones tour, a lot of countries and fun memories only now the budget became a memory as well smiling smiley

After deciding that I have waited 5 years for this tour, that I am 100% determined I want to go and taking into consideration things have been falling into place during this adventure I decided to go.
I left home Sunday morning at 4am, got the early flight with a spectacular landing over Rome seeing the Vatican, Coliseum and the 14 On Fire stage from the sky.
At the airport, while waiting for the bus I met Ivano, a Italian fan who had traveled from Sardegna for the show. We shared a lot of stories about concerts and places and stopped for some coffee and breakfast at Termini before heading on to the city.

I met Gabor at the Spanish Steps and we went on a walking tour of Rome starting at Villa Borghese. There we met little girl-scouts who were asking us if we’re going to the concert, they as well wanted to go.

Wandered the streets from Plaza del Poppolo, Via del Corso, Pantheon, until we got to the Roman Forum. From there he went to the venue and I went to meet Martha Tuesday.

It was a very fun encounter, not much time but so many things to say. Martha had agreed to sell me her ticket for the price of a lucky dip ticket and I felt a little bad as she had spent more money. So I thought I could make it up by offering a ticket to BST Hyde Park that I won from AEG following the concert experience from last summer.

All in all things worked out great for everyone I think. I went to the concert, many filters before getting inside. At first I headed towards the hilly lateral part thinking I would get a better view but it was so packed so went back.

Once on the ground, slowly but surely I made my way towards the first part of the audience on Keith’s side.
There was a bottleneck area but after that there was a lot of room to breathe, dance or sit down.

I joined forces with a group of fans from Padova, they had special t-shirts they made for the event showing Grregrory with a Roman soldier cap and the date 22.06.2014 written with Roman numbers.

They were incredibly excited to be there and once the concert was on they jumped 3m in the air.

John Mayer came on the stage and his concert had the feeling of a perfect summer day which we were experiencing at the time. It was my first time seeing him live and I enjoyed the show. It became slightly obvious he would join the band on stage later on and the song they would play.

After his set the audience with many young people was getting anxious, singing all sorts of Stones lyrics during the song breaks.
I was standing on my toes trying to see the audience towards the back and I couldn’t see it all, it was massive!

The concert started with an interesting intro: “Friends, Romans, Countrymen…please welcome The Rolling Stones”, then Keith came on with the meanest, loudest, heaviest Jumping Jack Flash I’ve heard so far. He was rocking it and this was a very Keith adoring crowd, they were all singing theirs lungs out, jumping high in the air to the Flash and by the time Mick sang the first lyrics it was absolutely clear that we’re in for a fantastic night.

It was crazy, wild and a lot of fun.
There was no awkward silence between songs, everyone was shouting and singing like they should at a proper gig.

Second song raised the stakes even higher, “Let’s Spend the Night Together” with a new intro – all crowd singing “ta da da dam, ta ta ta ta”. Brilliant!!
I tend to love this song when it has it’s own proper place in the setlist rather than being voted there, can’t explain why, just a feeling.
Song was going great and the tens of thousands of voices were adding power to every chorus.

You could see that the band is feeling great, they’re smiling, playing loud and are again playful and improvising.
Then this simple thing happened that changed everything: Keith was supporting the vocal part and dancing Mick went over to his mike and they sang together sharing the same microphone, this was the absolute sign that the band is “on fire”.
Charlie was laughing from the drum set almost constantly, what a wonderful night!
Ronnie seems a bit preoccupied at first but quickly started jumping around with wide smiles.
It was beautiful, breaks were longer between songs and that gave me the feeling they’re preparing some special moments.
And what an IMMENSE surprise to hear Mick saying they’re doing a special one for this crowd: “Streets of Love”. Needless to say I had never heard it live or that I was not expecting that to happen at all.
And they brought Mick Taylor on stage for this one too.
We all sang it together, probably half the song was simply accapela all-around and it was magical! Watching it on YouTube or some other recorded form cannot show the magic of that specific moment.
When it got down to band introductions and Keith’s set, all these 71000 people exploded with applauses. For everyone in a very loud way but for Keith it was insane. He was loving it and said something like “this is a pretty good joint” grinning smiley. Indeed it was.
They brought John Mayer on stage for song of choice “Respectable” and they rolled it pretty good. Both Gary Clark Jr in Lisbon and John Mayer in Rome were good but I think I liked Rome a bit better.

As I mentioned earlier I found the band particularly playful in Rome, a very warm audience. Towards the end of the show people were throwing water into the air (not sure if this is an Italian thing), Mick was at the end of the catwalk in the middle of the crowd and got a rain of water from someone in the audience. He was not bothered by that in fact he stayed there for a good while of the song. Keith added a little extra at the end of Sympathy for the Devil, surprising Mick Lisa and Bernard.

This was the first time I noticed there is a crane behind the stage that light an actual fire during Sympathy For The Devil, it’s visible through the screen and creates a very “realistic” fire. I was wondering in Hyde Park how they made it look so good, it’s actual fire!

It was a spectacular show, so much energy from everywhere, so much fire, the kind of concert you want to celebrate, discuss over beers, smile about. So I met Gabor and Wilfried in Trastevere where we did exactly that.
At this point I was at 24h full drive since leaving home.

Early in the morning I caught the bus for the airport and on the bus I (again) met Gerhard. Frist met him in Sydney while we were both “stranded” in Australia visiting Jaime’s collection. Then he randomly walked into the same pub in Oslo, met again at the Oslo show and a couple of times more. It’s fascinating how we keep meeting by chance in all these countries.
So we went to the airport together talking about the show, the tour, the future shows. Apparently most of the people I’ve met don’t have a ticket for Madrid and mostly all want to go smiling smiley

We said goodbye and I got on the plane to Barcelona. Part of my grand scheme to make this work is to spend a few days at my friend’s house in Barcelona where I can easily move around and can also get some work done as people in my team work in the Barcelona office.

I arrived in Barcelona the day before San Juan holiday, in time to catch the famous summer fireworks from a great lookout point on the hill.
40h+ after leaving home I was on this rooftop terrace having a lovely dinner, drinking champagne, watching the Spanish celebrations and thinking once again… how lucky I am to be here!

I am writing this on a bus traveling from Barcelona to Madrid, cheap and slow option to get to Madrid. I don’t yet have a ticket or too much money but I have faith things will work out.

I would like to thank all the wonderful people I met in Rome for an amazing adventure, hope to see you all again very soon!

Video I made in Rome:

Rome ,..after the Stones
Posted by: Wolfgang ()
Date: June 25, 2014 15:24

...quiet interesting pics ;-)
Did expect sooo much mess

Re: Rome ,..after the Stones
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 15:34

???

Date: June 25, 2014 15:37

Link?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 25, 2014 16:07

I left the venue late, when the place was already half empty.

The usual mess. Nothing worse than what is left on the ground after every other show or event.

C

Posted by: rollingsuri ()
Date: June 25, 2014 16:53

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 16:57

Sacco di Roma

Posted by: Wolfgang ()
Date: June 25, 2014 17:22

Sorry
forgot the link
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 25, 2014 18:06

Wolfgang
...quiet interesting pics ;-)
Did expect sooo much mess
Just as bad at hyde park - see the end of SSS

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 25, 2014 18:28

zgubi

I am writing this on a bus traveling from Barcelona to Madrid, cheap and slow option to get to Madrid. I don’t yet have a ticket or too much money but I have faith things will work out.

I am SOOO hoping that I'm going to see you uploading pictures in the Madrid show live update thread soon! Even if you don't get in to the show, it's still a wonderful adventure that you're having! I wish I were doing the same thing but am still having a wonderful time reading your stories!

smileys with beer Here's hoping that you're in the process of getting in to the stadium in Madrid as I type!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 13 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home