Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: Rome Italy 22 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:05

I do not understand any criticism of those attending the show. It was by far one of the best shows I've seen in my life (the 31 of Stones), powerful sound, without any kind of failure, Ronnie absolutely brilliant, Keith enjoying it, enjoying it and very concentrated, we add good roll between Keith and Mick, and what more can we ask?

By the way, I'm guilty, I voted Respectable, I wanted Respectable, I enjoyed it absolotuly!! I added a new song to "my" repertoire ... 71000 people, but 1 at least 1 was extremely happy with the choice! smiling smiley That exchange of guitars, Ronnie Mayer, Keith, Mayer..... brilliant, really one of the best moment of the night!!!

Streets of Love? A nice change in my opinion, always we cry for not play songs from last albums? We're bored with Angie Wild Horses right? What's the problem? People enjoyed it, sang it, and no one was waiting this song ... is pretty, and they surprised to everyone!!! Mick Taylor playing in it, and not in Sway or Can not You Hear me Knocking? Not to forget that we are just fans .... and we know who's boss! smiling smiley

Bright satisfaction, Brown Sugar, What You Want (Ronnieeee, Ronnieeeee), Let's Spend, SILVER!! and as always, for me, the best moment of the night, the incredible, wonderful, excellent version of Midnight Rambler, so close to the perfection, a real work of art!

Happy, very happy to have attended such a good concert!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:07

stupidguy2
beachbreak
John Mayer is one heck of a guitarist. Anyone that plays will tell you that. As far as his own solo career, I have not listened so I cannot comment. I doubt his music would be classified as "Pop". His roots are in the blues. I believe he has a SRV tatoo to honor the late Stevie Ray Vaughan.

And he's also been influenced by jazz, which gives his playing a funky, melodic tone. Respectable is not really his 'style' and the fact that can so easily adapt the to the groove of the song shows his versatility. It's funny, I don't even know if Mayer had ever heard of Mick Taylor (I'm sure he's met him now), but he is the closest thing to Taylor I've ever heard. You never know where, in any given song, he could go. He can play the blues, he can swing, he can be funky, but he also has that touch of 'pretty', (think Winter, Can't You Hear..very Mayeresque) like Taylor. And line MT, he has an effortless touch. I would love to hear him on a Stones record . I think Mick J. could find some great melodies working with JM on guitar in the studio.

Well, if he has such a background (and I have no reason to doubt it), his set as opening act for the Stones turns out to be even more disappointing. Sorry to say, but it was as boring as it gets.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:20

a good show in a fantastic location spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
highlights: respectable / the final part of MR when keith stopped taylor with an impetuosus riff and gave freeway to ronnie to shine with his powerful, punchy solo!
disappointments: SOL, yes, played very well with great audience choruses but the song itself is really crap! / john meyer opening act, sloppy, boring ... / the overall organization, a mess!!!
ciao
m.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:49

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

6/24/2014 Rolling Stones hire Rome's Circus Maximus for a bargain €8,000 -

Rome officials criticised for hiring out 2,000-year-old Circus Maximus for a €6 million
Rolling Stones concert - for just €8,000

By Nick Squires, Rome

Rome has been accused of underselling itself after hiring out the 2,000­year­old Circus
Maximus arena to the Rolling Stones for just €8,000 (£6,400) for a concert tonight which is
expected to gross more than €6 million.
The modest cost is dwarfed by the estimated €60,000 per night that the British band is paying
to stay in one of the Italian capital’s most expensive hotels, where suites cost up to €14,000.
More than 70,000 people have bought tickets for Sunday night’s concert, at €90 each.

It will be held in the Circus Maximus, which was once the Roman Empire’s biggest stadium
and had a capacity of 250,000 – about a quarter of the ancient city’s entire population.
“We’ve been giving away the use of ancient monuments at cut­price costs for years,” said
Codacons, Italy’s consumer association, in a statement.
“The city council needs to set more appropriate prices for the use of Rome’s prestigious
cultural heritage.”
Alessandro Onorato, an opposition city councillor, said the veteran British band should have
been charged not only for the day of the concert, but for several days leading up to it, given
that the construction of a stage and seating started earlier this month.
“They should have been charged from June 11 onwards, when work started on preparing the
area,” he told Il Messagero, a Rome daily.
The Italian press were quick to point out that the modest cost of hiring out the Circus
Maximus, where chariots once raced in front of Roman emperors and senators, was a fraction
of the money spent by the band on the Hotel St Regis, which offers suites with Jacuzzis and a
24­hour butler service.
The city council pointed out that the cost of the Circus Maximus was a fixed price laid down
by law, and that the band had paid an additional €176,000 for extra police to provide security
for the event as well as rubbish collection and other logistical costs.
Even so, the council said it was looking at the possibility of increasing the cost of hiring the
arena substantially – by as much as 250 per cent.
The Stones booked 48 rooms at the St Regis Hotel for their roadies and staff, Il Messagero
said.
Hundreds of fans gathered outside the hotel hoping to catch a glimpse of the band.
Keith Richards duly obliged, waving at them from the window of his hotel room.
His appearance prompted one fan to write on Twitter: “He’s got more wrinkles than the
Colosseum.”
Notable for her absence was Sir Mick Jagger’s new girlfriend, Melanie Hamrick, 27, with
whom he is reported to have struck up a relationship shortly after the suicide of his long­time
companion, L’Wren Scott, in March.
The ballerina was spotted on the balcony of his hotel in Zurich earlier this month during a
Stones concert in the Swiss city.
The Rolling Stones first performed in Italy in 1967.
Sunday’s concert is part of their “14 on Fire” world tour to mark their 50th anniversary.
Tickets to the event sold out within hours.
Once a venue for spectacular chariot races, and with Egyptian obelisks marking the two ends
of the track, the Circus Maximus is now a pale shadow of its former self – a dusty, windswept
hollow near the River Tiber where Romans walk their dogs and come to jog.

© Copyright of Telegraph Media Group Limited 2014

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 12:58

Milan
MR

Awesome MR...and 4:40 - 4:50 great guitar duelling KR and MT!! HAHAHAHA

Posted by: black limousine ()
Date: June 24, 2014 13:28

video: [www.youtube.com]

jumping jack flash - from my point of view ! as you can see even the camera is jumping!

Date: June 24, 2014 13:30

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: June 24, 2014 13:49

skyhawk
zgubi
This rock’n’roll adventure that I am on feels so natural. It’s what I’ve always wanted to do and now I finally have the chance to experience it.
There have been many chapters so far to this story: Abu Dhabi as the warm-up, trip to Australia on a postponed tour, re-start in Europe with the first 3 shows, train ride to Vienna and then for the grand finale.

End of last week I was at that moment, I managed to plan the first bits in advance but now I’m standing in front of this new challenge with little resources and huge determination to live it through, I’ve made it so far.
The rock and the roll combines my two biggest passions: the concerts and the traveling, being able to do them together in this first half of the year with the Rolling Stones out of all bands is beyond fulfilling, it’s simply fascinating.

So to cut to the chase, I had to decide if I use my one way flight to Rome with just enough money to almost cover the cost of a ticket and bus far from the airport or stay home.

After some thinking I came up with a creative way to solve everything, so I left home Sunday morning at 4am, enjoyed walking in Rome during the day, met the lovely Martha Tuesday who played a significant role in my getting into Circo Massimo, managed to get a wonderful spot on Keith’s side and enjoyed the best show of this tour singing together with the people traveling from Padova, Ivano da Milano, Gabor, Wilfried, Grizzly, Martha, Sonoko, Gerhard and everyone else who was at the concert, even if we were sitting in different places. The band was in great mood, playful, joking through music, inviting each other, sharing the microphone, sharing a hat, a very generous gig from both stage and front of stage.

For me as well it was a 30h+ adventure and it’s definitely out of the comfort zone but well worth it, I am happy I have met so many wonderful people and I am doing my best to keep the wheels working towards Madrid. I am not sure of what’s going to happen in the following one and a half weeks but I am confident that if I get out the door things might just fall into place.

Here’s my video for the Rome experience, will write a detailed blog post after the St. John fireworks (14 on fire!) happening today in Barcelona and after a long sleep, good night and good morning rocking people:

Photo album Rome & show: [www.facebook.com]

Thank you Andreea, for another beautifull report. I allways like to read them. Keep up the good work, also on [www.vdvcamp.ro]. Will you go to Werchter next saturday?

Thank you too skyhawk, Werchter was in the plan initially but I think it's going to be difficult getting there, still thinking if I can make it to Madrid at the moment, are you going to Werchter?

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 24, 2014 13:50

Wild Slivovitz
stupidguy2
beachbreak
John Mayer is one heck of a guitarist. Anyone that plays will tell you that. As far as his own solo career, I have not listened so I cannot comment. I doubt his music would be classified as "Pop". His roots are in the blues. I believe he has a SRV tatoo to honor the late Stevie Ray Vaughan.

And he's also been influenced by jazz, which gives his playing a funky, melodic tone. Respectable is not really his 'style' and the fact that can so easily adapt the to the groove of the song shows his versatility. It's funny, I don't even know if Mayer had ever heard of Mick Taylor (I'm sure he's met him now), but he is the closest thing to Taylor I've ever heard. You never know where, in any given song, he could go. He can play the blues, he can swing, he can be funky, but he also has that touch of 'pretty', (think Winter, Can't You Hear..very Mayeresque) like Taylor. And line MT, he has an effortless touch. I would love to hear him on a Stones record . I think Mick J. could find some great melodies working with JM on guitar in the studio.

Well, if he has such a background (and I have no reason to doubt it), his set as opening act for the Stones turns out to be even more disappointing. Sorry to say, but it was as boring as it gets.

I thought Mayer was fantastic as an opening act. Set the scene for the Stones perfectly. That's the beauty of opinions. If we all liked the same things then life would be boring.

BTW Stones uk store now has Rome Lithos. Get them quick before they sell out! Got mine and will display it proudly in my spare room!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 24, 2014 14:23

Who was please their support act in Rome?

Date: June 24, 2014 14:24

Ladykiller

John Mayer

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 24, 2014 14:29

petewasbristol
Ladykiller

John Mayer

Thanx. I just remember that.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 24, 2014 15:32

Aquamarine
Thanks so much for posting those black and white pictures, bye bye johnny--I love b&w photography, it's so timeless. smiling smiley Plus those are just really great anyway.

Thank you. I took snaps in Paris on black and white and love em.

Date: June 24, 2014 16:03

video: [www.youtube.com]

lil cut from Respectable

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: June 24, 2014 16:09

It was hot in Rome smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2014 16:25

Harm

I was in the line at around 10am and was in the sun for about 10 hours. I have literally come back to the UK with the best tan ever! Who needs a beach when you have the Stones grinning smiley

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: June 24, 2014 16:48

Spécial t shirt for the event
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/10500577_711033588957042_2522019643491970573_n.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-25 14:07 by rockerparis.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 24, 2014 16:52

Harm

Not THAT's a real Tongue pit! grinning smiley

Date: June 24, 2014 16:54

Some memorabilia:
[fr-fr.facebook.com]

Date: June 24, 2014 16:55

Spécial t shirt for the event
[fr-fr.facebook.com]

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 24, 2014 17:23

I'm finally back online properly (borrowed a friend's smartphone for my trip to Rome - but couldn't work out how to use it!) and have just skimmed through this thread.

I absolutely loved Rome - it's a beautiful city, and I'm just sorry I didn't stay longer as I didn't have nearly enough time to see everything. I thought about changing my flight to stay another day but it would have been more expensive than returning another time. I did throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain - so I shall return!

The concert was great (despite a few stressful issues), amazing venue, and my fears about the heat were needless. It was very hot in Rome - but I found it somehow more bearable than London. Maybe the air is cleaner, I'm not sure.

So glad you enjoyed the show and got a good spot, Andreea. It was really good to meet you and I'm sorry I wasn't able to hang out more, and it's a shame I couldn't join you and others from IORR for drinks post-show - my eyes were getting very dry (by the time I returned home last night, they were extremely blood-shot!). And thank you so much for showing me how to work the camera on the smartphone! I hope you get to go to Madrid! Wish I could too.

A few things went wrong at the start of the show for me - but I refused to let that ruin things.

I walked down to Circus Maximus earlier in the day to check things out, see the Colosseum, and collect my pit ticket. It was good soaking up the atmosphere but by the time I got back to the hotel I needed a shower!

Because I have dry eye problems, I rested my eyes (and didn't feel the need to get there too early because I had a pit ticket).

I got there about 45 minutes before they were due on. And then got directed into GA. I kept thinking something wasn't right but asked 4 different stewards as I walked down and showed them the ticket - and they all insisted I was going the right way.... I finally found someone who confirmed I was in the wrong area. And told me the only way to the pit (on the other side of the venue) was a 20 minute walk all the way round. And the Stones were due on stage in 30 minutes!

I ran all the way round, arrived sweating and feeling as if I'd already attended the concert - and literally just made it! I didn't have time to find a spot as I'd just started walking down the stairs on the slope when they came on stage. I just stopped where I was halfway down.

I wasn't right by the front but as it was slope, the view of the stage was good (and I saw more than when I did go down to the botton because I'm quite short).

I really wanted to hear LSTNT (it was the first Stones song I heard and instantly hooked me) and didn't think they'd do it as they'd played it at Dusseldorf - so was so happy to hear it....until my water bottle spilt into my bag - all over my phone, and dripped down my skirt as if was wetting myself! Lucky I think everyone was busy focusing on the stage...

I began to think I wasn't meant to enjoy this show - but then just thought I'd ignore the water, the last-minute run to the pit, etc, etc (nothing could be done) and enjoy, which I did.

The sound was good, lots of smiles around me, and great atmosphere.

All the Rome t-shirts were sold out after the show on the stands I checked. I'd bought a unofficial one earlier in the day but really want that Rome picture so I'll get it online.

I got directed wrong again after the show (went the wrong way round to get back to my hotel near Termini) and ended up on a long walk of about an hour.

Massive blisters on my feet - but walked past some amazing Roman sights and the weather was still so warm, and on a high from the show. So all in all, I had a great time.

And now I'm tired and have to get back to reality and work. I'd so love to fly out to Madrid tomorrow morning but really can't take anymore time off work. I'm sure everyone going will have a wonderful time. I know the setlist isn't that adventurous but being there it didn't seem to matter that much. And they were playing very well and seeming to enjoy themselves on stage.

Thanks everyone for all the photos and videos. I didn't get a chance to take any whilst at the show so it's good to have the memories.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 24, 2014 18:54

Martha, that's the best and most interesting report I've ever read about a concert experience! Finally you made it to Rome.

Particularly I liked to read all the personal details: about the smartphone, the run to the pit, the water bottle, being directed wrong again after the show, the blisters, the dry eyes.

Great that you liked Rome as I predicted you would and that you didn't suffer too much from the heat (as I predicted as well). And now you're back in England, safe and sound. End good, all good, as we say it here. smiling smiley

Posted by: atip ()
Date: June 24, 2014 19:09

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 19:36

kleermaker
Martha, that's the best and most interesting report I've ever read about a concert experience! Finally you made it to Rome.

Particularly I liked to read all the personal details: about the smartphone, the run to the pit, the water bottle, being directed wrong again after the show, the blisters, the dry eyes.

Great that you liked Rome as I predicted you would and that you didn't suffer too much from the heat (as I predicted as well). And now you're back in England, safe and sound. End good, all good, as we say it here. smiling smiley

I agree. You take us there with the way you wrote that! A good read and well done you.

1 more show for me - hope it isn't my last ever. I thought my 1st show would be my last and that was in 1990smiling bouncing smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 24, 2014 19:46

I am so glad that both Martha and Andreea had such a great time in Rome.

They both deserve it after the ups and downs of getting there, and being there. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 24, 2014 20:50

Very good - similar to my experiences. Ask BV to put this in the Rome report.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:41

DoomandGloom
My guess is if the videos are scarce than it was a great performance and audience too busy to film it. Still I'd love a close up version of SOL. I did pick out Taylor's part and his clear arpeggios were refreshing. Sounds a bit like Clapton on "Badge". MT has so much to offer the Stones audience...
You're right
I was in Rome and I think that MT in MR was not so good.
I'll use him in new songs like SOL or in other but not just in MR.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:43

here a good video from the italian t3.
official video?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 21:46 by pepganzo.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:58

what a nice report, Martha!

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: June 24, 2014 22:02

zgubi
skyhawk
zgubi
This rock’n’roll adventure that I am on feels so natural. It’s what I’ve always wanted to do and now I finally have the chance to experience it.
There have been many chapters so far to this story: Abu Dhabi as the warm-up, trip to Australia on a postponed tour, re-start in Europe with the first 3 shows, train ride to Vienna and then for the grand finale.

End of last week I was at that moment, I managed to plan the first bits in advance but now I’m standing in front of this new challenge with little resources and huge determination to live it through, I’ve made it so far.
The rock and the roll combines my two biggest passions: the concerts and the traveling, being able to do them together in this first half of the year with the Rolling Stones out of all bands is beyond fulfilling, it’s simply fascinating.

So to cut to the chase, I had to decide if I use my one way flight to Rome with just enough money to almost cover the cost of a ticket and bus far from the airport or stay home.

After some thinking I came up with a creative way to solve everything, so I left home Sunday morning at 4am, enjoyed walking in Rome during the day, met the lovely Martha Tuesday who played a significant role in my getting into Circo Massimo, managed to get a wonderful spot on Keith’s side and enjoyed the best show of this tour singing together with the people traveling from Padova, Ivano da Milano, Gabor, Wilfried, Grizzly, Martha, Sonoko, Gerhard and everyone else who was at the concert, even if we were sitting in different places. The band was in great mood, playful, joking through music, inviting each other, sharing the microphone, sharing a hat, a very generous gig from both stage and front of stage.

For me as well it was a 30h+ adventure and it’s definitely out of the comfort zone but well worth it, I am happy I have met so many wonderful people and I am doing my best to keep the wheels working towards Madrid. I am not sure of what’s going to happen in the following one and a half weeks but I am confident that if I get out the door things might just fall into place.

Here’s my video for the Rome experience, will write a detailed blog post after the St. John fireworks (14 on fire!) happening today in Barcelona and after a long sleep, good night and good morning rocking people:

Photo album Rome & show: [www.facebook.com]

Thank you Andreea, for another beautifull report. I allways like to read them. Keep up the good work, also on [www.vdvcamp.ro]. Will you go to Werchter next saturday?

Thank you too skyhawk, Werchter was in the plan initially but I think it's going to be difficult getting there, still thinking if I can make it to Madrid at the moment, are you going to Werchter?

Yes, I will be going to Werchter as this will be my last Stones-show of this year for me after Abu Dhabi, Landgraaf, Paris and Duesseldorf. I planned to go to Berlin as well, but I missed my flight due to heavy traffic on my way to the airport, because of heavy thunderstorms the nigth before in Nordrhein Westfalen. I hope you will make it to Madrid and/or Werchter. If you do so, I already looking forward to read your reports of these shows. And who kmows, maybe we will meet each other there in the pit/golden circle.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home