Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15
Rolling Stones - Rome, 22 June 2014
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:24

Re: Rome Italy 22 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Date: June 23, 2014 01:25

JMARKO
DandelionPowderman
CMH516
I'm generally not a whiner about the setlists but I sure would rather hear Loving Cup than Streets of Love.

SOL is in the ballad slot. LC is not a ballad, but I sure would like to hear it live.

I'd settle for something he actually played on -maybe even stretch that to songs they played live with him in the past. Isn't that the point?

The logic behind this particular choice is vacant.

And, frankly, the whole use of Taylor on such minimal options has been a let down.
These people have been playing live music for DECADES. Rehearsing a larger group of songs to display him on - which they could easily change every night to make every show a special occasion - is no hard task (remember: three days between each gig!). Seriously, all Taylor has to do is noodle over the tune in the right key (sometimes a challenge apparently) and people would be passing out with pleasure.

Keep the staples like Rambler and Satisfaction, but they should be changing this up much more frequently than they have been.

It's kind of ludicrous to have had Bruce Springsteen guest on Tumbling Dice more often than Mick Taylor on this world tour.

J

What's more ludicrous is that claim. Springsteen has guested on that song *twice* yet we've gotten Taylor every single night of the tour except one (if you call all the dates since 2012 one tour). confused smiley

Date: June 23, 2014 01:38

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:46

What's with Keith's set the same every night, for me it's not a show without BTMMR but maybe that's just for us U.S. fans.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:47

Wow looks like an awesome show

Re: Rolling Stones - Rome, 22 June 2014
Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:48

bye bye johnny

This picture just makes me happy.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:49

fahthree

Me too (and speaking of which, I miss Happy, even though it's good to hear some different stuff in Keith's set).

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:52

I hope they filmed this show with the roman ruins in background

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:03

They need to drop the song poll thing all together, what's the point really they are going to play whatever they want.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:05

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:07

Aquamarine
fahthree

Me too (and speaking of which, I miss Happy, even though it's good to hear some different stuff in Keith's set).
thumbs up

Date: June 23, 2014 02:09

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:12

bye bye johnny

I couldn't believe my eyes, I had to look three times. At the very least, this pic needs some time on the homepage. Brilliant photo.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:21

Let's spend the night together. They looked like friends again tonight. Just got back to hotel. Lovely gig but exhausted

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:29

Im back at my hostel in Rome! What a day and night it has been. Im in pain from sunburn though (IT WAS SO HOT!) and sitting on the right side hill (yes hill!) in the same poisition for about ten hours!. What an awesome venue it was though (The Roman forum is to the right of Circus, which makes it even more beautiful). I had a great time and the Stones put on a top show. I cant say much more as its coming up to 2 in the morning.

Best moment was when Mick was coaxing John Mayer up the catwalk during respectable...it made me smile alot!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:05

Now arrived at the hotel, fantastic concert!exceptional sound But I am dead! I was very forward, side Keith unforgettable concert, but they are cooked and hot sun!

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:18

I was right side almost at the front and center. The best concert I have been, I think better than the previous in 2007.Jagger steals the show but Keith looked so much healthier than he was in 2007.Great night people loved it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-23 03:40 by StratoGR.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:21

Stoneburst
fahthree
Bastion
JumpinJeppeFlash
Nothing that special with tonights set

Really?

Streets of Love, while different, is not special. It's a terrible album track that is much better on stage but nothing to get all excited about.

I suspect they just included it tonight because of the Rubicon line, much as they made a point of playing Memory Motel in Boston last year.

StonesCat
They did what I was going to suggest, when the fanvote is rigged, fill the rest with songs that get people excited but will never get played.

They've got a bloody cheek doing this kind of thing. They know full well that a large part of their really hardcore fanbase isn't happy with the dull shows they play and yet they still have the cynicism to outright ask for fans' help with the setlist whilst rigging the vote

Wasn't it a hit single in Italy? That sounds like a more plausible reason they'd play it in Rome.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:33

Thanks for all the posts from fans that attended the
show. Really do appreciate the effort.
Makes it feel like I was at the show.
Thank you and rock on!

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:46

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:50

Kind of a funny thing about Streets of Love in the set list--however, it was a top 20 single in Italy, and it was at an Italian venue where they first played it live (Milan, July 11, 2006).

Are there any gigs in Spain on this Euro tour? Streets of Love was a #1 single there. If they play in Spain, it's sure to appear in the set list again.

Just think about it: Streets of Love was the last Rolling Stones number one single....

Rolling Stones in Milan, July 11, 2006.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:51

Setlist looks like it has a few gems.... I am actually interested in hearing Streets of Love! Never thought I'd say that.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 23, 2014 04:02

In reading the set list posted on page 5, isn't it interesting that the fan vote "request" just so happens to be the one that features their special guest. Suppose fans had chosen Sweet Virginia instead. Then they would have had to have scratched the special guest slot for the show. Uncanny how that always works out.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: June 23, 2014 04:05

Streats of ... was very popular for the young audience standing next to me. They were all singing along the complete lyrics. For ooc however they had no clue clue about this song.
What a pitty, was hoping for Mick Taylor on can't you hear me knocking and got Mick Taylor on streets of love...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-23 16:49 by Stoneswolf.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 23, 2014 04:12

Did anyone post which song it was where both Keith and Mick are on the mics together, and Keith has his arm around Mick? We want to know!!!

Thanks once again, Cristiano, and everyone.
SOL is better in concert than on the recording, and hey, more Mick Taylor!!! smileys with beer

And that t-shirt with the mouth, Bocca Verita Tongue shirt is fantastic! cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 23, 2014 04:16

"Did anyone post which song it was where both Keith and Mick are on the mics together, and Keith has his arm around Mick?"

Yes, few posts above, it was "Let's spend the night together".

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 23, 2014 04:19

flacnvinyl
I am actually interested in hearing Streets of Love! Never thought I'd say that.

Me too. I'll probably never listen to the studio version again, but this is different. The audience appreciation of it seems to lift the performance, at least in the '06 shows, I haven't heard this one yet.

The only downside to the song is the lyrics, which are in English. The Italians and Spanish may speak fair English, but they seem to be responding to melody and feel. It's a great singalong.

In 1990 I went to France (Strasbourg) with a college buddy, visiting his former host family. They were almost 70, spoke almost no English. Their favorite song in the world was Elton's "Nikita". When we played it on our guitars, they were in tears. I like the song, but they like it on a totally different level. They get the gist of the lyrics "Oh Nikita, you will never know...." Same thing with SOL, I think. Melody and emotion.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: June 23, 2014 04:20

Very nice to see rare moment of affection between MJ/KR. Also, so far venues have all looked full so overall a successful tour. As someone who loves Taylor I gave up hoping he would be used more and with different songs after a glimpse of hope at Staples last year. Nothing we do or say will change that or the set list , so we must just accept that the band seems happy and hopefully keeps going ad infinitum .

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: June 23, 2014 05:04

The last Italian concert setlist:

Jumping Jack Flash
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Oh No Not You Again
Let's Spend The Night Together
Tumbling Dice
Streets Of Love
Con Le Mie Lacrime
Midnight Rambler
Night Time Is The Right Time
--- Introductions
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Slipping Away (Keith)
Miss You (to B-stage)
Rough Justice
Under My Thumb
Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
Satisfaction (encore)

Wish I'd been at both. Eyes would have fallen out in Milan if I saw Mick and Keith arm in arm though back then. They almost did when I saw that pic today! smoking smiley

Date: June 23, 2014 05:25

This is concrete,conclusive proof that someone made a deal with the devil.

Mick Taylor returns to perform with the Stones but,plays on "Streets of Love"
and not "Time Waits for No One" , "Heartbreaker" , "Shine a Light" etc. .

I would honestly rather hear him play on "Out of Tears" or "Too Tight" if
he wants to try his hand with modern material.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home