Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: The Black Keys
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:45

treaclefingers
stonehearted
<<Now I get Jack White's complaint, they sound like a really watered down version of The White Stripes.>>

At least they have a drummer who can play play drums.

Q: Exactly what were the White Stripes anyway? A: Jack White wanting to call himself a group.

Q: Why did Jack White leave the White Stripes? A: Because there was nothing for him to leave.

Be that as it may, he's excellent...any issues with 'song writing' opined with the Black Keys are not relevant to White Stripes or Jack White.

thumbs up

(P.S. Meg was the one who left, and Carney isn't exactly the most orthodox of drummers, either, but they both fit their roles perfectly.)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:01

stonehearted
<<Now I get Jack White's complaint, they sound like a really watered down version of The White Stripes.>>

At least they have a drummer who can play play drums.

Q: Exactly what were the White Stripes anyway? A: Jack White wanting to call himself a group.

Q: Why did Jack White leave the White Stripes? A: Because there was nothing for him to leave.

Meg was a hell of a drummer. White said she didn't understand how good she was. The White Stripes had a distinct sound, just like Clapton in Cream. Jack White eventually said the Stripes were over because Meg wasn't coming back.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:17

Not so sure I agree she was a "great" drummer. She was adequate.
But again, I like both the WS and BK, and White et. al. They both bring different stuff to the table of rock and it is fun. Good to nave some modern greats to be getting into.

Date: June 23, 2014 03:22

As with Blue, I will get it eventually. It is a groove record. And have to be in that mode to truly get it. A few songs on it have grabbed me from the get go. Bullet to the Brain is fantastic. A great psych rock soul hybrid. That is the gist for Blue, it is a psychedelic soul album. Pretty cool.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:55

whitem8
Not so sure I agree she was a "great" drummer. She was adequate.
But again, I like both the WS and BK, and White et. al. They both bring different stuff to the table of rock and it is fun. Good to nave some modern greats to be getting into.

She was a great primitive rock drummer who accentuated what Jack was doing. There was only two of them. There was nowhere to hide her. She could play, and that's how he wanted her to play. Granted, she ain't Buddy Rich, but we're not talking about Artie Shaw's big band either. There's an emotional lack of depth to the Black Keys. They're not compelling.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 23, 2014 14:48

I used to love them, buying anything they released and looking for production jobs by Dan, but I didn't really care for El Camino and think Turn Blue is just plain boring.

A damn shame, because untill Brothers they were great...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 23, 2014 16:20

Chris Fountain
crholmstrom
24FPS
Different ears. The more I hear of this group, the less I'm impressed with them. Now I get Jack White's complaint, they sound like a really watered down version of The White Stripes.

There's an incredible boot out there of Jack White @ Bonnaroo last weekend. Stellar.

Speaking of Stellar -Harvin is 100% and they picked up Richadson (sic). Just around the corner to the light of day!!!

Go Hawks!!

Indeed! I'm trying not to get too psyched too early. M's have been more fun this year but baseball is a cruel mistress. Go Hawks!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 23, 2014 17:24

I like the Black Keys. It's somehow comforting to know that people still like this kind of music. The video for "Lonely Boy" is genius.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 23, 2014 17:30

hey for all Black Key/ White Stripes fans..

check out Carly and Jonny- the Ghost Wolves

from Austin TX

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 23, 2014 17:59

Black Pistol Fire - "You're Not the Only One"

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:18

Have been a fan for a while and I do like their new album, the psychedelic sound is sort of making a come back. Chris Robinson Brotherhood new album also has that psychedelic thing going for it and I think its great.

Black Keys are far from the 2 person band they used to be but you get sort of limited, I like where their sound is going.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:25

When I saw the Black Keys a couple years ago, for one part of the show, the side musicians left the stage and they played a few of their older songs...just the two of them. That was, by far, the best part of the show.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 24, 2014 00:27

BluzDude
When I saw the Black Keys a couple years ago, for one part of the show, the side musicians left the stage and they played a few of their older songs...just the two of them. That was, by far, the best part of the show.

Couldn't agree more. I was told before the gig by a friend they were a two-piece.

Surprised when they only did it for a short while.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: June 24, 2014 09:47

JohnnyBGoode
Black Pistol Fire - "You're Not the Only One"

One good thing about streaming music online is that you discover new music. I really like Black Keys and playing them on Spotify got me into Black pistol fire as well. Nice band.... cool smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 09:51

I loved them initially but they seem to have gone a bit too commercially oriented for MY tastes...there is nothing wrong with that, just the first few albums seemed more pure to me. And for MY Black Keys, that's the sound I prefer.

If you like them though, check out Royal Blood from the UK......bloody awesome duo.

Rgds
Rod
Perth
AUSTRALIA

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2014 05:21

OK, giving the new album another listen right now.

Not even one song is 'grabbing me'.

I think I fell in love with TSMR faster.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 7, 2014 14:13

Wow, 720p HD stream on Arte of their show last night in Belfort : [concert.arte.tv]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 7, 2014 14:28

Saw the Black Keys last saturday at the Rock Werchter festival (Belgium);
was looking forward to it very much for I hadn't seen them play live in ages (I've known them ever since their early days at Fat Possum Records label)...

They were lame at best.
Only (new) song that really appealed (to me) was "Gotta get away (from you)".

What I wouldn't give to see the White Stripes instead...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-07 14:57 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: July 7, 2014 16:31

Saw them too and found them great.

Agree on the new album. Also don't like the show visuals. But other than that I loved the gig.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 7, 2014 17:14

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Saw them too and found them great.

Agree on the new album. Also don't like the show visuals. But other than that I loved the gig.

..Could be they just had a 'slow' day... or maybe I had one... Loads of my friends are sure the BK are the best thing since a fellow named 'God' or something... just sayin'. Might have been the moment in time, coïncidence, or perception. And I will check'em out again next time, whenever I have the chance. Only thing is: I won't be looking forward to it, (Come to think of it: that just might do the trick!! smoking smiley )

Date: July 7, 2014 18:29

I think that the band is good (love their version of 'Who Do You Love' with the Stones from 2012), but that drummer was so whiny a few months ago! Sure I agreed with him for some of the complaints he let loose, but overall, I was hoping he'd just take a break from it.

Date: July 7, 2014 21:04

Rain, belgium public and to soft sound will not help a concert experience. See them in a tent (festival) or concert venue and you will be blown away.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: July 8, 2014 01:21

The White Stripes were ace.
Jack White is the master.
The Black Keys are excellent.

These are simply my opinions.

Declan

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 8, 2014 02:18

Why is there so much comparison between the White Stripes and the Black Keys?

The Black Keys are 2 musicians like the Stones are 4 musicians. Live, the Black Keys are a quartet, with the exception of a couple songs.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 8, 2014 02:40

BluzDude

The Black Keys are 2 musicians like the Stones are 4 musicians. Live, the Black Keys are a quartet, with the exception of a couple songs.

To the general public, they appear as a guitar/drum duo. Not many people know that the Black Keys have extra musicians during their live act.

I love this track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-08 02:42 by MingSubu.

Date: July 8, 2014 03:54

MingSubu
BluzDude

To the general public, they appear as a guitar/drum duo. Not many people know that the Black Keys have extra musicians during their live act.

I thought it was the other way around--most people think the Keys are a full-band-all-the-time, and don't realize they used to be only a guitar/drum duo.

Date: July 8, 2014 09:37

Its been an evolution. Dan Auerbach is really into bands an that was one of the driving forces in him making a solo album with a full band. Danger Mouse ala bass. Good stuff. I like it all. The duo and band sound.

Date: July 8, 2014 10:11

You mean his solo album Keep It Hid? I actually liked that a lot more than the recent Black Keys albums. smiling smiley (He could have been a bit more tactful about recording it, though!) No point pining for the past when the band's moved on, anyway. It's all good.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: July 8, 2014 15:20

RoughJusticeOnYa
Saw the Black Keys last saturday at the Rock Werchter festival (Belgium);
was looking forward to it very much for I hadn't seen them play live in ages (I've known them ever since their early days at Fat Possum Records label)...

They were lame at best.
Only (new) song that really appealed (to me) was "Gotta get away (from you)".

What I wouldn't give to see the White Stripes instead...

I saw them last Wednesday and they were exactly how you described them. They seemed very tired and I got tired from seeing them too.

Luckily two days later it was a Jack White day and he rocked the place...

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: July 8, 2014 15:54

I saw highlights of their Glastonbury set. Was really impressed by the guitarist.

Seemed like a one-man-band to me. Distinct but very limited drum style.

I wondered why the bassist too was so limited - a virtualnon-entity standing out of site behind the stacks. This thread has explained why - he is not a band member.

The Stones should follow that example - maybe letting Daryl on stage for his Miss You solo.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home