Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: The Black Keys
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 21, 2014 20:05

I'm more and more impressed with this group, the more I hear their music.

Drew

Re: OT: The Black Keys
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 21, 2014 20:24

Fantastic band! I am slowly getting into their new one. Brothers and Attack and Release are amazing total classic rock releases. All of it is great. If you are into them check out Auerbach's solo album, and Dr. John's last one, Locked Down, Auerbach produced and plays some killer guitar on it.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 21, 2014 20:36

Went with a few mates to see them a couple of years ago, having never heard much of their stuff.

Was pretty impressed; highly recommend the Brothers album. Just sit down, and listen to it in one sitting. You'll enjoy it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 21, 2014 20:42

Had never really paid attention to them until they guested at the PPV ;-) I really like their latest two albums even though the one that just came out got a bit panned and called "derivative", honestly I can't really hear any obvious ripoffs...Auerbach just produced Lana Del Rey's new album too, he must be playing the cool guitar on the track "West Coast". Will check out his solo LP. Does the drummer have much of an influence on the songs?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 21, 2014 20:57

Yeah they are best buddies. And Patrick is a music museum which Dan really bounces his writing off. They are on the cover of the last MOJO with a nice interview with the two, and it sounds like Dan writes with Patrick's drumming and personality as a type of creative input. But I do think Dan is the heavy hitter in the group- a brilliant singer and guitar player.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 21, 2014 21:19

This one has a bit of a "You Can't Always Get What You Want" influence to it..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 21, 2014 21:26

Indeed...

@whitem8 - thanks for the insight.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 21, 2014 22:38

I really got into these guys from 2011 to 2013, I even saw them twice. But for some reason, the thrill is gone for me.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 21, 2014 23:26

Great band but the last album is disappointing . I think they need a couple of years break and to reset. I wonder if danger mouse is still a good producer for them..

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 21, 2014 23:36

I really liked the new cd. They seem to be growing musically. Danger Mouse sure is involved with a lot of interesting music. Like Broken Bells plenty, too.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 22, 2014 00:24

They were one of my favorite bands back in the day--their first four or five albums are fantastic. I became less enthusiastic when Danger Mouse became involved as producer, for Attack and Release, and since then I've liked each album a little less than the one before--they're still a great band, but they're essentially a different band from the one that made The Big Come Up and Rubber Factory, and those are the albums I still love. Can't begrudge them their success, though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2014 00:47

I've listened to the new album a couple of times and just hasn't clicked for me yet...hoping it grows on me, as I've quite liked Brothers and El Camino.

Date: June 22, 2014 00:52

One of the best newer bands out there, imo.

Their biggest challenge is the songwriting quality, though.

Date: June 22, 2014 01:15

DandelionPowderman

Newer is sort of relative (to the Stones!), I guess, since they've been around since 2001. The songwriting has become more of an issue since they've become less blues-based--they had no shortage of terrific songs on the early albums, IMO.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 22, 2014 01:30

Terrific band. Really liking their new one, which is a change of pace for them for sure. I can understand the people that followed them from the start might feel like they have abandoned their roots or whatever - but hey, Beggars Banquet sounded nothing like the 1st few Stones albums right? I think it's ok - maybe even necessary - for bands to change/grow as long as it's in Interesting directions. And Turn Blue is a really interesting CD.

Date: June 22, 2014 01:35

DEmerson
Terrific band. Really liking their new one, which is a change of pace for them for sure. I can understand the people that followed them from the start might feel like they have abandoned their roots or whatever - but hey, Beggars Banquet sounded nothing like the 1st few Stones albums right? I think it's ok - maybe even necessary - for bands to change/grow as long as it's in Interesting directions. And Turn Blue is a really interesting CD.

Well I haven't liked Blue so far, I'm hoping it's one you just need to listen to a few times.

Date: June 22, 2014 01:38

It's true that it's good for bands to grow, and I think they'd gone as far as they could in their earlier incarnation. I wish them all the success in the world, and will still be seeing them later in the year--but it won't be the same as that tiny dirty blues club in New Orleans way back when!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 22, 2014 02:25

treaclefingers
DEmerson

Well I haven't liked Blue so far, I'm hoping it's one you just need to listen to a few times.

Turn Blue is a far more consistent album than El Camino imo.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 22, 2014 02:39

Great outfit. I am not thrilled with their new realease, but it might grow on me. Either way, they have put out some killer albums over the last 10 years.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: June 22, 2014 04:26

Proper wicked band. Got well into them over the last year. Total geezers.

Declan

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 22, 2014 04:58

Different ears. The more I hear of this group, the less I'm impressed with them. Now I get Jack White's complaint, they sound like a really watered down version of The White Stripes.

Date: June 22, 2014 09:47

I adore him, but I'd disagree with both of you there. (I know which of the two bands I'd take any day, though!)

Date: June 22, 2014 10:30

Aquamarine
DandelionPowderman

Newer is sort of relative (to the Stones!), I guess, since they've been around since 2001. The songwriting has become more of an issue since they've become less blues-based--they had no shortage of terrific songs on the early albums, IMO.

Agreed.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 22, 2014 11:04

I keep playing "Gotta Get Away" on guitar. Not the greatest song, but...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 22, 2014 11:24

<<Now I get Jack White's complaint, they sound like a really watered down version of The White Stripes.>>

At least they have a drummer who can play play drums.

Q: Exactly what were the White Stripes anyway? A: Jack White wanting to call himself a group.

Q: Why did Jack White leave the White Stripes? A: Because there was nothing for him to leave.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 22, 2014 11:38

24FPS
Different ears. The more I hear of this group, the less I'm impressed with them. Now I get Jack White's complaint, they sound like a really watered down version of The White Stripes.

There's an incredible boot out there of Jack White @ Bonnaroo last weekend. Stellar.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 22, 2014 13:18

crholmstrom
24FPS

There's an incredible boot out there of Jack White @ Bonnaroo last weekend. Stellar.

Speaking of Stellar -Harvin is 100% and they picked up Richadson (sic). Just around the corner to the light of day!!!

Go Hawks!!

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 22, 2014 13:34

I do like Turn Blue. I got into The Black Keys from the "School of Rock" soundtrack. "Set You Free" was on there and The Darkness' "Growing On Me." When I first heard "Set You Free" I thought it was a black man singing from the '70s.

I've been listening to a band called The Heavy, anyone like them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-22 14:22 by JohnnyBGoode.

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: June 22, 2014 13:57

saw them in 2012. Thickfreakness is one of my best "concertmoments".
Right up there with Gimme Shelter.

-TomR

Date: June 22, 2014 17:02

stonehearted
<<Now I get Jack White's complaint, they sound like a really watered down version of The White Stripes.>>

At least they have a drummer who can play play drums.

Q: Exactly what were the White Stripes anyway? A: Jack White wanting to call himself a group.

Q: Why did Jack White leave the White Stripes? A: Because there was nothing for him to leave.

Be that as it may, he's excellent...any issues with 'song writing' opined with the Black Keys are not relevant to White Stripes or Jack White.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home