Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 14 On Fire - The Setlists
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 24, 2014 23:28

marcovandereijk
Just be at a show, see Keith walk up to the front of the stage, hear and see him start
his riff, feel Darryl laying down the bassline deep into your belly, enjoy the people
jumping up and down around you, join in with the chorus screaming loudly Hey Hey Hey, let Ronnie
and Keith both grab your guts with their solos and after three minutes of You got me rocking
your life is complete.

At least that's what happened to me last week in Paris.

Agree 100% with you, I was there and enjoyed it very much!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 25, 2014 02:15

flacnvinyl
MGetzner
Hi folks,

regarding the "unchanged" setlists: I was at 6 shows of the "50&counting" and "14OnFire" tours (O2 London, Nov. 2012; Hyde Park 1, 2013; Abu Dhabi, Berlin, Vienna, Düsseldorf 2014).
I heard 36 different songs, 12 songs were the same throughout all shows, and I think, the range of songs is pretty wide, look at this:

Cheers
Michael

You are lucky to get to attend 6 shows!

I disagree about the 1% vs 99. I think most people attending are more familiar with the larger catalog than given credit. Furthermore, even if they aren't, the Stones have the ability to challenge the audience and provide unique concert experiences, IF THEY WANTED TO.

If the Stones took a page from the Phish playbook, and switched out their setlists each and every night, they would find a far more unique live experience. I personally believe that they cannot do that anymore. The last tour close to that was Licks. Tons of setlist variety, just with a poor live sound mix with Ronnie almost completely out of the mix.

Would be a treat to the older fans if they played something from Chuck Berry era

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 25, 2014 02:58

black n blue
Would be a treat to the older fans if they played something from Chuck Berry era
again: how about Route 66 as an opening number?!?
maybe there's another intro for Keef to jazz up, screw up, whatever?

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:03

flacnvinyl

I disagree about the 1% vs 99. I think most people attending are more familiar with the larger catalog than given credit. Furthermore, even if they aren't, the Stones have the ability to challenge the audience and provide unique concert experiences, IF THEY WANTED TO.

This entire 1% goes back to the Bigger Bang Tour when the leader started using it. Now the personality cult has latched onto it and made it gospel. I use my Berlin experience as an example -- out of 22,000 only 220 know more than the hits and have seen them multiple times? Utter nonsense. Are people going to demand a refund if they hear a few tunes they're not familiar with?

If I were there age I guess I really wouldn't have the desire to learn how to play Torn And Frayed, for example, when I can just go on auto-pilot.

Another problem is Mick doesn't believe in the new material. Why should an audience care about your new music if you don't. An example of where he did is the oft-talked about Streets of Love. He played that quite a bit from summer 2006 on during ABB tour -- 35 times.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: June 25, 2014 14:19

It's sad that they don't play Beast or burden, I'm worried that they'll not play it at Roskilde either. Please, I don't wanna hear You Got Me Rocking, Out of Control and definitely not Streets of Love in favor of some of their absolutely best songs sad smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 25, 2014 15:29

the stones should open with paint it black . like they did at foxboro 9/20/06

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 25, 2014 18:34

TheGreek
the stones should open with paint it black . like they did at foxboro 9/20/06
that must've been a real shocker. can't even imagine how they led over from the industrial intro music? but it'd be a great way to shut up setlist whiners from the first minute. plus, another interesting intro for Keef to jazz up, screw up, whatever?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 27, 2014 17:57

Where are the setlists?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 27, 2014 18:09

I have always loved the Stones music and have seen them live 3 times but I honestly don't see why anyone would be excited about seeing them anymore..Its basically the same show ever time and it has been for 25 years..It amazes me that people actually see them numerous times on a tour..Can anyone explain this. Ad please don't say its a different show everytime because its not. Might be different people in the stands but same show.

Plus I don't know why they would want to continue doing it.Must be extremely boring playing the same songs all the time..Except for the money I don't get why they would want to do it anymore. Plus it would be embarrassing playing the same 40 year old hits all the time, its like admitting everything else you have done since is not worthy..Very disappointed in the Stones, never thought they would do this to themselves..

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 27, 2014 18:18

MGetzner
Hi folks,

regarding the "unchanged" setlists: I was at 6 shows of the "50&counting" and "14OnFire" tours (O2 London, Nov. 2012; Hyde Park 1, 2013; Abu Dhabi, Berlin, Vienna, Düsseldorf 2014).
I heard 36 different songs, 12 songs were the same throughout all shows, and I think, the range of songs is pretty wide, look at this:

Cheers
Michael

At which show did they not play Satisfaction?

Posted by: LoveYouLive ()
Date: June 27, 2014 18:23

stanlove
I have always loved the Stones music and have seen them live 3 times but I honestly don't see why anyone would be excited about seeing them anymore..Its basically the same show ever time and it has been for 25 years..It amazes me that people actually see them numerous times on a tour..Can anyone explain this. Ad please don't say its a different show everytime because its not. Might be different people in the stands but same show.

Plus I don't know why they would want to continue doing it.Must be extremely boring playing the same songs all the time..Except for the money I don't get why they would want to do it anymore. Plus it would be embarrassing playing the same 40 year old hits all the time, its like admitting everything else you have done since is not worthy..Very disappointed in the Stones, never thought they would do this to themselves..

So if you have a favorite food or meal, you only eat it 3 times in your life? I have to believe that is true given the logic you have presented in this post.

I've seen the Stones 40 times over the past 33 years and while I would love to see them shake up the setlist a bit more, I still have enjoyed every show I've attended. Even with the regular warhorses, it is still nice to hear a tune they rarely play. And it still happens after all these years.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 27, 2014 18:28

Satisfaction wasn't played in the first show of the 50 & Counting tour.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 27, 2014 18:34

stanlove

I’ve seen them 37 times and I completely understand what you are saying. For me it’s the thrill of actually seeing them. I still get excited to see them come out from behind the amps. I think another part of it is hoping that maybe I’ll hear one thing different. I expected nothing in Berlin but got Waiting On A Friend, which I had never heard. Last year my hope was to get Can’t You Hear Me Knocking which happened during Philly 2. I know I’m not alone in the audience wanting something different, despite the assertion that 99% only want the hits.

However, as the setlists have become even more static my level of excitement generally peaks early during a show. A good portion of the hits really don’t move me anymore. Jumping Jack Flash never fails but Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, etc are great songs but I don’t get the charge from them that I once did. At the Waldbühne I sat down during Miss You because I despise that song. Personal preference – many love it. I’ve always equated it to eating chicken – I love it but couldn’t eat it every day.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 27, 2014 19:44

Each show has it's own personality. Atleast for me anyways.

I just love the Stones and their music. Especially live. Give me the same setlist night after night and I'm still going. Love, love, love the music. Nothing like seeing a string of shows. You can stand back and really observe what is going on.

Guess I'm what you call a fan, unlike some others here. Others will disagree and that is fine. People complaining about setlists and not going only help me get a ticket easier.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-27 19:51 by MingSubu.

Posted by: Bob05 ()
Date: June 27, 2014 19:47

Personally, I'm pis**** off by this awful "Tumblin'Dice" which, for whatever reasons, appears on every setlist and every tour.
It's just boring, uninspiring and even - as far as I can see in my surroundings - not well-known nor popular, nobody hums along with it or sings with it, let alone the musical quality. - Kill it off the list.

Bob

More soloing from Ronnie! - (if decently played with less posing)

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 27, 2014 19:53

What it comes down to is entertaining vs. interesting. For the vast majority, being entertained is good enough, and the Stones are never going to fail to put on a professional show. There's just too many safety nets, and the boys are straightened out enough now to where there won't be any crazy shows like years gone by.

But, for those who look to them to be interesting, opportunities are pretty scarce these days, with this leg probably the least interesting looking back in hindsight, of any tour. It's hard to get excited about slight differences in songs that have been done hundreds of times. Last year started off well, and hopes were high with MT along, that approaches might change. Setlists began to shrink, rarer songs going with it, and after Glastonbury, MT was once and for all, properly neutered, and songs like 2000 Light Years..didn't return. Since then, Keith's set aside, surprises are few and far between. Fanvote picks have turned into songs that are just shy of regular rotation tunes. One song per show is the oddball max now.

People who complain about those kinds of changes are called whiners, and just be happy they're still up there. When in reality, many are those of us who feel the Stones still have it in them to aim higher and not just cruise into retirement.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 27, 2014 19:59

StonesCat
What it comes down to is entertaining vs. interesting. For the vast majority, being entertained is good enough, and the Stones are never going to fail to put on a professional show. There's just too many safety nets, and the boys are straightened out enough now to where there won't be any crazy shows like years gone by.

But, for those who look to them to be interesting, opportunities are pretty scarce these days, with this leg probably the least interesting looking back in hindsight, of any tour. It's hard to get excited about slight differences in songs that have been done hundreds of times. Last year started off well, and hopes were high with MT along, that approaches might change. Setlists began to shrink, rarer songs going with it, and after Glastonbury, MT was once and for all, properly neutered, and songs like 2000 Light Years..didn't return. Since then, Keith's set aside, surprises are few and far between. Fanvote picks have turned into songs that are just shy of regular rotation tunes. One song per show is the oddball max now.

People who complain about those kinds of changes are called whiners, and just be happy they're still up there. When in reality, many are those of us who feel the Stones still have it in them to aim higher and not just cruise into retirement.

Totally agree. What is the point of seeing them anymore? They finally ran the warhorses into the ditch. They have no artistic credibility, nor do they seem bothered by playing the same old crap night after night. It feels like they're just packing their mansions with gold in one last big money grab.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 28, 2014 02:23

24FPS
StonesCat

Totally agree. What is the point of seeing them anymore? They finally ran the warhorses into the ditch. They have no artistic credibility, nor do they seem bothered by playing the same old crap night after night. It feels like they're just packing their mansions with gold in one last big money grab.
\

Been a fan since 65 and I shake my head when I look at the setlist. Time to retire guys!

Date: June 28, 2014 03:10

The majority of people go to see the Stones because it`s an emotional and energetic experience, something like a(n) (inter) personal "happening" a celebration with the band and they all leave most enthusiastic.

I´ve never seen so many young people like on this tour.The Stones are professional enough to know how to still attract all generations and they please them with these setlists. The general audience attends a few shows - the die hard fans have seen them 50 - 100 times (which must be boring setlist wise)

But the setlist is not the most important motivation to see them. "It´s always good with the Stones" if you are able to enjoy and take part. Me and a lot of other fans are not going to the show because of the setlist - it´s just a fact that the setlist does not change a lot and they will not play the rare songs (which I also regret) BUT it` entertainment in first place. Otherwise it wouldn´t work anymore.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 28, 2014 05:36

I just saw the "Like a Rolling Stone" video from Madrid . It kicks the immortal shit out of everything!

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 28, 2014 14:16

I really liked "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "Lady Jane" when they played them in the beginning of their latest go-around, but they dropped them pretty quick.

BTW - If anyone could steer me towards good quality versions of these two I would "thank you kindly" (But more than likely have no problem with the buttons on my trousers LOL)

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 28, 2014 17:13

Chris Fountain
some crap like Out of Time (which Jagger himself called crap),

What is the source of subject comment?

It's one of the greatest songs in the history of earth.

Rockman

Yeah would wanna read that one tooooooooo ... where is it ????

Well, when Mick was interviewed by the LA Times back in October of 1989, he sure as hell didn't think much of it:

'Out of Time'
From the "Flowers" album (1967).

JAGGER (frowning). ". . . It's just not very good."

[articles.latimes.com]

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2014 17:34

stonesstein
Chris Fountain
some crap like Out of Time (which Jagger himself called crap),

It's one of the greatest songs in the history of earth.

Rockman

Yeah would wanna read that one tooooooooo ... where is it ????

Well, when Mick was interviewed by the LA Times back in October of 1989, he sure as hell didn't think much of it:

'Out of Time'
From the "Flowers" album (1967).

JAGGER (frowning). ". . . It's just not very good."

[articles.latimes.com]

In other breaking news, Mick doesn't like Exile.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: June 28, 2014 17:55

The thing is they don't have to cater us hardcore fans by playing lesser known songs at the risk of alienating the 99%.... They have enough hits and great well known songs they rarely play and if they did this they would still be able to mix up the set and please everyone!

Case in point - the song vote- any of those 5 or 6 songs could be played at most points in the set and still bring the house down, yet they are competing each night for one measly spot?

And none of the 99% could care less about You Got Me Rocking, Out of Control or that song that Keith has revived from Steel Wheels that from reports is not even played well. That's 3 out of 19 precious song choices wasted every night. I'm not saying never pull those 3 out to play, but to play them every night at the expense of classics does their amazing catalogue and fans a huge disservice, especially when they are not essentials that the 99% expect or demand to hear.

It's really quite bizzare and defys any logic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-28 18:06 by jammingedward.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: June 28, 2014 22:52

They can't do it right anyway - in Rome my wife was perfectly satisfied because she knew every song except Streets of Love, my son was a little bit disappointed that he knew every song (with the exception of Streets of Love of course ;-)

For me as a die-hard it was maybe the best show I've ever been to. SOL was much more of a surprise than I'd ever have expected and people sang along on nearly every tune. That's entertainment, isn't it? Who would have cared for Silver Train or Till The Next Goodbye expect me and a few others?

As long as they play in such a good mood I don't care too much for the set-list. When you download all the shows from the www it's kinda dull to have so less changes but to be there in person is really a different experience. I never enjoyed Miss You or Sympathy live for ages but this time...oh man.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: June 29, 2014 02:51

"It's not what you play - it's the way that you play it ......

That's what gets Results"!

"Then your joint will swing"

(Bananarama/Fun Boy Three reference for the uninitiated)

If we would go to One show each tour and Not follow all preceding shows on the internet - then hey - we might allow ourselves a LIVE experience.

I blame the internet ....... our on-line life can spoil the real Live experience ...

Date: June 29, 2014 12:24

stanlove

You can tell that after seeing three shows? Not bad...

Date: June 29, 2014 12:26

MingSubu
Each show has it's own personality. Atleast for me anyways.

I just love the Stones and their music. Especially live. Give me the same setlist night after night and I'm still going. Love, love, love the music. Nothing like seeing a string of shows. You can stand back and really observe what is going on.

Guess I'm what you call a fan, unlike some others here. Others will disagree and that is fine. People complaining about setlists and not going only help me get a ticket easier.

+1

Date: June 29, 2014 12:31

jammingedward
The thing is they don't have to cater us hardcore fans by playing lesser known songs at the risk of alienating the 99%.... They have enough hits and great well known songs they rarely play and if they did this they would still be able to mix up the set and please everyone!

Case in point - the song vote- any of those 5 or 6 songs could be played at most points in the set and still bring the house down, yet they are competing each night for one measly spot?

And none of the 99% could care less about You Got Me Rocking, Out of Control or that song that Keith has revived from Steel Wheels that from reports is not even played well. That's 3 out of 19 precious song choices wasted every night. I'm not saying never pull those 3 out to play, but to play them every night at the expense of classics does their amazing catalogue and fans a huge disservice, especially when they are not essentials that the 99% expect or demand to hear.

It's really quite bizzare and defys any logic.

I have never seen anyone at a Stones show who hasn't been mesmerized by OOC. It's a crowd pleaser, not a wasted opportunity.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 29, 2014 14:29

DandelionPowderman
stanlove

You can tell that after seeing three shows? Not bad...

Actually the concerts are taped and put online so yes. Same concert over and over basically note for note..

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home