Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
14 On Fire - The Setlists
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: June 18, 2014 23:07

Looking at the setlists of the current tour, it appears that they're pretty much unchanged from show to show. With the exception of one song made by request on social networks (which I think is a great approach).

However, a few song picks seems very strange to me. They seem to play You got me rocking and Out of control at every show. And Keith have chosen to sing Can't be seen. I believe these songs are not that popular among fans (at least not with me), so why include them on every setlist instead of, say, Beast of burden or Under my thumb? Having Mick Taylor to play on Satisfaction also seems a little wierd. He wasn't playing on the studio version. Why not have him playing Sway or Time waits for no one instead?

Anyway, just some thoughts. Anyone who agree?

Re: 14 On Fire - The Setlists
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 18, 2014 23:33

It is a shame there have been no discussions on the set lists on this site. Kidding!

I agree You Got Me Rocking is a bit of a strange one. For some reason, they seem to love it. I don't mind that one (although some people seem to have a real problem with it) - but you would think they could come up with something better. (Bring back Love is Strong for starters as an example?). I have to wait until Stockholm to see them again - but from all accounts Out of Control is very well done and being greatly received.

The Fan Vote is a bit of a joke. They put in all these great songs and then wind up playing Get Off of My Cloud - which they opened with at every US show. I swear - after getting it in Macau (instead of say, Silver Train!), I'm gonna jump off a bridge if I get in Stockholm.

And yes - Time Waits for No One, Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - PLEASE.

Can't be Seen? Not a bad Keith song - looking forward to hearing it actually. Different than what we had previously anyway.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 18, 2014 23:37

Never liked YGMR since I first heard it on VL in 1994 but I must say it worked very well in Paris on Friday as the second number, so...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-19 10:09 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: June 19, 2014 03:17

I wish Mick Taylor was used more than he currently is. Bring some true lead guitar playing back to the Stones as has been missing since he left.

I like YGMR better with every passing year. There's a fantastic version of it that I found from the 90's once that was high energy and I loved it but I lost it somewhere. Wish I knew which one it was...sounded like an audience recording.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 19, 2014 03:45

YGRM & OOC are probably in the setlist to show they've done something halfway worthwhile since Wyman walked. They are minor songs in the catalogue, but at least they were done in the last 20 years.

The audience vote? A joke. They put in 3-4 non-rarities to choose from. They've been playing GOOMC with great regularity since 2005. (And a really slow, strolling version at that). I think the first time I thought maybe they'd lost a step was hearing GOOMC in 2005 at the Hollywood Bowl. I hated seeing this almost punk-like anthem turned into a waltz. I guess it makes it easier for the tourists to sing along.

Date: June 19, 2014 05:21

I've noticed that they swap the opener between SMU and JJF (the one they don't choose usually comes later, though)...

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 19, 2014 06:24

I have always like You Got Me Rocking, and it, along with Rough Justice, Driving Too Fast, Suck on the Jugular, Saint of Me, and Love is Strong work in any era of the Stones. YGMR is IORR part 2.

It is unreal how so many on this list want to hear Gomper or some crap like Out of Time (which Jagger himself called crap), but let them throw in a tune from after 78, and you'd think the band kicked someone's dog.

I'd love to see more variety in the set list, but at the same time, these are the songs that got this band where they are.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 19, 2014 06:30

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I've noticed that they swap the opener between SMU and JJF (the one they don't choose usually comes later, though)...

True - Start Me Up is favorable later in the set as it is a game changer. Hampton is a good example. However, JJF should not be an opener as well. Not Fade Away and GOOMC work well for me as intro songs. Others should be considered such as Last Time, or even Route 66. Any song to shake things up to lead a great start.

Date: June 19, 2014 07:08

stonesstein
I have always like You Got Me Rocking, and it, along with Rough Justice, Driving Too Fast, Suck on the Jugular, Saint of Me, and Love is Strong work in any era of the Stones. YGMR is IORR part 2.

It is unreal how so many on this list want to hear Gomper or some crap like Out of Time (which Jagger himself called crap), but let them throw in a tune from after 78, and you'd think the band kicked someone's dog.

I'd love to see more variety in the set list, but at the same time, these are the songs that got this band where they are.
I wouldn't say it's so much the tracks being from 1978 onwards that 'enrages'/irritates the certain fans we're talking about as much as it is the tracks they pick. I mean, I see where they're coming from. certain songs just are best left in the studio, and those that the Stones have yet to perform live, maybe they could be reworked. On Bruce Springsteen's 1985 box set, Live 1975-85, he reworked 'No Surrender' from a great rocker to a nice ballad. Hear them to compare.

to

I really think that if the Stones reworked tracks like 'Blue Turns To Grey', 'Heartbreaker', maybe update the lyrics of 'Highwire', they could have the potential to pull them off. I think that simply changing small aspects of certain songs, they'd be good live. Some post-1978 songs I'd love to hear that I think they can pull off are 'Highwire', 'I Go Wild', 'No Use In Crying', and 'Tie You Up', among others.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: June 19, 2014 07:15

I agree with your post. I do think that reworking some songs would be great, though it can backfire - 19th Nervous from MSG 2005. Interesting, but a shell of the original.

Hell, play Highwire. Play a 15-minute jam of Sex Drive into Suck on the Jugular. Hell, play Driving Too Fast.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: June 19, 2014 07:46

They will stick to the current format. It's amazing how exploratory the Stones are in studio yet apprehensive on stage with song selection.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 19, 2014 08:45

Play the songs that make the setlist every night and just shorten the length, and add anywhere from two to four songs. Street Fighting Man could become a warhorse again.

1. You Got Me Rocking
2. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Bitch
5. Ruby Tuesday
6. Shattered
7. When The Whip Comes Down
8. Sway or Silver Train with Mick Taylor
9. Out Of Control
10. Honky Tonk Women
11. You Got The Silver
12. Can't Be Seen
13. Miss You or Emotional Rescue
14. Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor
15. Street Fighting Man with Mick Taylor
16. Gimme Shelter
17. Sympathy For The Devil
18. Jumping Jack Flash
19. Start Me Up
20. Brown Sugar
21. You Can't Always Get What You Want
22. Satisfaction with Mick Taylor

Again, I say use the 80 track version of GRRR as a setlist blueprint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-19 08:47 by JohnnyBGoode.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2014 09:07

When Your Gone .... Built ta be played live ...Guitar harp killer ....Dirty stuff

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2014 09:35

stonesstein

"You Got Me Rocking" has very little to do with getting the Stones to where they are.

I have no problem with modern material but,"You Got Me Rocking" is a poor choice to represent the 'Voodoo Lounge' album. It's MAYBE the fourth best song on the album .... and that might be a stretch. It's definitely not the best.

Even if "You Got Me Rocking" was one of the best songs from that album (which I do not believe that it is),the Stones SHOULD,at this point consider what they have played in the past 20 years. If they now feel that they have to play the same 8 -12 warhorse songs every show (with the percentage of the set list which that consumes rising) , the song which represents the 'Voodoo Lounge' album should be an obvious candidate for rotation so that they can dial down the repetitive nature of these recent concerts A LITTLE BIT.

It would NOT kill them to rotate "You Got Me Rocking" OUT of the set list in favor of other songs from 'Voodoo Lounge' .

By the way,putting out quality albums had a lot to do with getting the Stones to where they are. 'Exile on Main St.' and all of the others.

I don't know of anyone who is pushing for "Gomper". There is very much territory between Gomper's category and Satisfaction's category.

I never bought into this new argument over the past few years that if a song is not played over the radio every 45 minutes that only 17 "crazy" hardcore fans on IORR might know it.

Date: June 19, 2014 10:08

some crap like Out of Time (which Jagger himself called crap),

What is the source of subject comment?

It's one of the greatest songs in the history of earth.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2014 10:10

What is the source of subject comment?

Yeah would wanna read that one tooooooooo ... where is it ????

ROCKMAN

Date: June 19, 2014 10:16

DO NOT FORGET:

The Stones are out there for 50.000 people every time. Only 1% of those are die hard fans who want to hear gems.

In the past they changed more but they played every country a lot more. Now only one change per country (except if you're german that is)

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 19, 2014 10:20

Just be at a show, see Keith walk up to the front of the stage, hear and see him start
his riff, feel Darryl laying down the bassline deep into your belly, enjoy the people
jumping up and down around you, join in with the chorus screaming loudly Hey Hey Hey, let Ronnie
and Keith both grab your guts with their solos and after three minutes of You got me rocking
your life is complete.

At least that's what happened to me last week in Paris.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 19, 2014 10:30

No. I doubt that it's 1% versus 99% . Who in their right mind wants the same concert over and over again ??

If ony 1% or any figure close to that percentage of the audience are returning from all of those prior tours,then they are doing something wrong.

Besides,it's not even just about 'gems'. What about hits from all of these greatest hits albums .... "Play with Fire" / "Time is On My Side" / "Undercover of the Night" / "Heart of Stone" / "Hang Fire" ..... on and on . ??

What about album tracks from chart-topping albums .... 'EXILE ON MAIN ST.' ????

"Through the Lonely Nights" is a gem. Maybe even "'Til the Next Goodbye". Definitely not "Rip This Joint" and "Let it Bleed". If you don't know those 2 songs or the 5 above from the compilation albums .... I don't know what to tell you.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 19, 2014 10:41

I just wish they would play Street Fighting Man a bit more. I don't think that's too much to ask for cool smiley

Date: June 19, 2014 10:44

The setlist is different from the previous tour. Not many people will see the stones more than once on a tour.

Yes we will. But the casual fan will not.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 19, 2014 11:29

I haven't paid much attention to the setlists, since beginning of the tour and seeing the 'pattern', but I welcome the 'new' material, just to give some balance to their material. "You Got Me Rocking" is a throwaway song but works well in concert, so it's alright. "Out of Control" is a statement that they were still able to craft good material in their seniour years. "Can't Be Seen" is actually about the most radical thing they could do setwise, so I salute Keith for that. Then we have a recent "Doom & Gloom" played regularly, so I think 4 songs (out of 19) from the last 25 years is not bad at all, compared to, beginning of COUNTING tour, and especially to SHINE A LIGHT that ignored anything since 1983...

That doesn't mean I won't loved to hear "Time Waits For No One" or some other rarer track like that from the Taylor years, and having (more) Taylor there, but reality seem to bite too much...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-19 11:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: ptr ()
Date: June 19, 2014 12:24

Maybe that main point of it is to show that Rolling Stones have very good "recent" tracks (meant from latest released albums) and that they are not nostalgic band playing only the old stuff from years of biggest fame. To be honest (and I know I´m going to be minority here) - I see You Got Me ROcking as better live track than for example TUmbling Dice or It´s Only Rock´n´Roll. Out Of Control is another example - to me it´s one of best concert songs ever written by Stones - that jamming section with Mick´s playing on harp is fantastic, the song has stunning feeling and dynamic....

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: June 19, 2014 13:12

OOC was great in Lisbon, and the audience in general seemed to like it. I was glad to hear it again!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 19, 2014 13:19

Winning Ugly VXII
No. I doubt that it's 1% versus 99% . Who in their right mind wants the same concert over and over again ??

If ony 1% or any figure close to that percentage of the audience are returning from all of those prior tours,then they are doing something wrong.

Besides,it's not even just about 'gems'. What about hits from all of these greatest hits albums .... "Play with Fire" / "Time is On My Side" / "Undercover of the Night" / "Heart of Stone" / "Hang Fire" ..... on and on . ??

What about album tracks from chart-topping albums .... 'EXILE ON MAIN ST.' ????

"Through the Lonely Nights" is a gem. Maybe even "'Til the Next Goodbye". Definitely not "Rip This Joint" and "Let it Bleed". If you don't know those 2 songs or the 5 above from the compilation albums .... I don't know what to tell you.

Well said. I've never bought into this 1% nonsense that some try to shove down our throats. I find it impossible to believe that out of the 22,000 people or so at Berlin only 220 people have seen them before and want to hear the gems. Utter nonsense and the argument continues to be used to explain the complacency of the setlists. At the prices they charge now, it's repeat customers who love the band and, realistically, aren't asking for Gomper but perhaps Rip This Joint, Torn and Frayed, etc.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 24, 2014 22:58

stonesstein
...but let them throw in a tune from after 78, and you'd think the band kicked someone's dog.
brilliant observation. i also have a list of new tunes i would love to hear, first of all "it won't take long"

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 24, 2014 23:03

Route 66 as an opener! that's a word! who wouldn't rally behind that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 23:08 by Nikkei.

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: June 24, 2014 23:12

Hi folks,

regarding the "unchanged" setlists: I was at 6 shows of the "50&counting" and "14OnFire" tours (O2 London, Nov. 2012; Hyde Park 1, 2013; Abu Dhabi, Berlin, Vienna, Düsseldorf 2014).
I heard 36 different songs, 12 songs were the same throughout all shows, and I think, the range of songs is pretty wide, look at this:

Cheers
Michael

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 24, 2014 23:24

MGetzner
Hi folks,

regarding the "unchanged" setlists: I was at 6 shows of the "50&counting" and "14OnFire" tours (O2 London, Nov. 2012; Hyde Park 1, 2013; Abu Dhabi, Berlin, Vienna, Düsseldorf 2014).
I heard 36 different songs, 12 songs were the same throughout all shows, and I think, the range of songs is pretty wide, look at this:

Cheers
Michael

You are lucky to get to attend 6 shows!

I disagree about the 1% vs 99. I think most people attending are more familiar with the larger catalog than given credit. Furthermore, even if they aren't, the Stones have the ability to challenge the audience and provide unique concert experiences, IF THEY WANTED TO.

If the Stones took a page from the Phish playbook, and switched out their setlists each and every night, they would find a far more unique live experience. I personally believe that they cannot do that anymore. The last tour close to that was Licks. Tons of setlist variety, just with a poor live sound mix with Ronnie almost completely out of the mix.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 24, 2014 23:27

Just some perspective on the discussion.

On their current two-year tour, Aerosmith has played 38 different songs over 86 shows. In addition to their well known hits, they have dug up & played 13 different obscure or catalog songs, and played them less than 5 times each.

Some of their biggest hits, such as "Dude Looks Like A Lady," "Back In The Saddle," "Mama Kin" have been played only 4 or 5 times OVER THE TOUR and they don't hesitate to skip or drop them, if they feel like doing something different.

They also regularly perform four songs and an excerpt of a fifth song, from their latest, most recent current album, in rotation on the tour.

On this tour they have performed three songs from all the way back to their debut album - "Dream On," "Mama Kin," "Walking The Dog" - right up to their most recent material. Over the course of the tour they have played 2/3 of the "Toys In The Attic" album, 2/3 of the "Rocks" album, and almost half of their debut album.

In fact, the number of core songs that Aerosmith inevitably plays at EVERY show -- "Dream On," "Walk This Way," "Sweet Emotion," etc -- is actually smaller than the number of songs that they rotate or change, over time. They are not trapped or beholden to their warhorses, and from what I have gathered, their fans don't seem to mind.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home