Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keiths amazing heavy sound in 1976
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 18, 2014 18:12

Anybody knows who to get that?

Im thinking of the HTW sound, the rhythm of Hey Negrita, Brown Sugar, If you cant rock me/Get off of my cloud (perhaps the best example).

Zemiathis yes, but if you use a Les Paul?
And what is a P90 sound? How do I turn the nobs on a Les Paul studio and a Blackstar amp? Any ideas, how do you fellow iorrians play when you want to sound exactly like Keith did in the open G numbers of 1976?

Re: Keiths amazing heavy sound in 1976
Date: June 18, 2014 19:47

Crank the Ampeg, and keep your main guitar volume knob nearer max than Keith did in 72/73.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 18, 2014 19:58

I think the key to a lot of his sound in that period IS the volume he was playing at. It is amps pushing, the speakers pushing air, creates that "bark" to the guitar sound. It is somewhat similar to what is heard on the studio version of "Brown Sugar," in a way. That "bark" is what I usually call it. That's my two cents on how to do it. Play LOUD with the amp running full throttle, and use the volume knobs on the guitar to control your distortion for "cleaner" sounds. Even a small amp will sound gritty that way, if you run it full tilt.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 19, 2014 08:38

Play way louder than is needed thereby hiding all your many mistakes.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 19, 2014 09:35

It's the Ampegs. I love Mesas and Fender Deluxes and Twins, but if that's the sound you want, then get one, just mind your back. I have a V-4, and it gets pretty damn close to that sound.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2014 09:38

Play way louder than is needed thereby hiding all your many mistakes.

..in that case Keef & Ronnieeeee should be using jack-hammers....!!!...!!!..!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 19, 2014 14:48

Ampeg and Mesa Boogies did the job those years

Date: June 19, 2014 14:50

KeithNacho
Ampeg and Mesa Boogies did the job those years

Mesa came the year after, and then that distortion disappeared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-19 14:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 19, 2014 14:54

Mocambo's guitars are conected to Mesas, at least in a very clear photo you can see it in KR's back
The dostortion clearly dissapeared during SW's tour

Date: June 19, 2014 14:57

KeithNacho
Mocambo's guitars are conected to Mesas, at least in a very clear photo you can see it in KR's back
The dostortion clearly dissapeared during SW's tour

El Mocambo was in 77. The Mesa distortion is different to the distortion Redhotcarpet was talking about. More of a grit that appears when you strum hard.

Date: June 19, 2014 14:59

When i say those years.... i mean until 1982
SORRY
I APOLOGIZE MYSELF

Date: June 19, 2014 15:00

Don't worry, nacho smileys with beer

Date: June 19, 2014 15:10

My imperssion is that KR's guitar sound changed radically after 1989. Both Ampeg and Mesas sounded fine to me in his hands.
Fender is so clean for his original sound (i usually play with Fenders), you can here the sound of One hit to the Body, Monkey man and even HTW intro,........no break up at all (or very slight for my taste in KR's sound)

But i love Fenders for my guitar stile

Date: June 19, 2014 15:10

Love and lots of peace for you Dandelion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 19, 2014 16:25

This was also the last tour where there was a clear Rhythm/Lead separation going on. Whenever one guitar player is taking the solo, the other is holding down the Rhythm with Bill & Charlie.

Starting with the 1978 tour, the weaving came to the fore and things thinned out in the guitar dept. Not just in sound, but in playing also. The Rhythm/Lead divide was gone and the band seemed to lose something very important in the process.

I still love what came next, but I wish they stuck to the more disciplined feel of what came before.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: June 19, 2014 16:46

During the Voodoo Tour I have noticed from the soundboard boots that the guitar sometimes sounds very powerful and with more distortion than some other shows where it sounds more clean( the tokyo 95 show for example). An example for the more powerful sound could be the halloween 94 show. Is this a bootleg thing? what was the "real sound" we heard in the shows? I was at the Chile 95 show but I cant remember that specifically ...only that it was loud as hell! in a good way of course!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 19, 2014 16:54

dedospegajosos
During the Voodoo Tour I have noticed from the soundboard boots that the guitar sometimes sounds very powerful and with more distortion than some other shows where it sounds more clean( the tokyo 95 show for example). An example for the more powerful sound could be the halloween 94 show. Is this a bootleg thing? what was the "real sound" we heard in the shows? I was at the Chile 95 show but I cant remember that specifically ...only that it was loud as hell! in a good way of course!

I know what you mean.
Some of those shows like Tokyo have a very thin guitar sound, almost like there is some kind of Acoustic simulator or Chorus effect involved in the chain.
Never did like that sound, it lacks some much needed balls.
The 1995 club shows seem to go back to the ballsier sound thankfully.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 19, 2014 18:36

My least favorite of all Keith's "sounds". Thankfully he went to smaller amps and more natural-sounding distortion after 1976.

Date: June 19, 2014 19:05

vudicus
dedospegajosos

I know what you mean.
Some of those shows like Tokyo have a very thin guitar sound, almost like there is some kind of Acoustic simulator or Chorus effect involved in the chain.
Never did like that sound, it lacks some much needed balls.
The 1995 club shows seem to go back to the ballsier sound thankfully.

While Atlantic City 89 had a way more raunchier guitar sound. I believe he still used the Mesa back then, though.

Date: June 20, 2014 10:22

I think he muffled the sound a bit by turning down the treble on the guitar a tiny bit but maybe I'm wrong. He does get a sharp solo sound and the sound overall sounds like it's very dependent on volume. Interesting answers everyone, thanks. I love that sound a prefer it to the clean tele sound. Thats why I love the custom 72.

Date: June 20, 2014 10:37

Redhotcarpet
I think he muffled the sound a bit by turning down the treble on the guitar a tiny bit but maybe I'm wrong. He does get a sharp solo sound and the sound overall sounds like it's very dependent on volume. Interesting answers everyone, thanks. I love that sound a prefer it to the clean tele sound. Thats why I love the custom 72.

It's still heavy on treble, but you may be right. Another feature of this sound is its lack of sustain. It makes it more biting.

I'd like to hear from those who don't like this sound why that is? Isn't this the most natural sounding distortion one can get?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-20 10:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 20, 2014 13:26

Yes that is it dandie! Sustain is low - of course. I always turn it down on my amp to get the biting heavy sound of Midnight rambler studio version. Dance Little Sister is the same. Low sustain.

Date: June 20, 2014 13:28

DandelionPowderman

I'd like to hear from those who don't like this sound why that is? Isn't this the most natural sounding distortion one can get?

I second that. Why the dislike?

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 20, 2014 15:12

OK... has a guitar player the trick for Keith's sound is to play through two amps one clean and the other overloaded... and yes play through an Ampeg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home