Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Keith and the teleprompter
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 13, 2014 21:30

StrawberriesBlueberries
Thanks SharksWillCry, that's interesting and goes into the direction of what I was thinking. That he refused to use one before. So it could be the influence of his seemingly very good relationship with Mick right now. Same shoes, hugs, smiles, a shared teleprompter... it's so heartwarming. tongue sticking out smiley

Everything but a shared microphone/mike stand/.That's the Holy Grail of Glimmer Twinness

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-13 21:33 by triceratops.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 13, 2014 21:56

crumbling_mice
Of course they use teleprompters and have been doing for many years. I can't see the problem, they are 70 year olds who have had to remember 1000's of lyircs. Sometimes I can be singing a song I've sung for 30 years and for some strange reason I just forget a line. I would imagine it would be a lot harder under the pressure of a live performance where 30,000 people are watching and listening to everything you do.

Dylan often did it and just made up words or mumbled or even repeated the same line, I think it happens to most performers. Solution - teleprinter. It doesn't mean you don't know the words (as maybe the case with younger bands) more a memory jogger or life raft if you have a complete blank out.

It's not really any different to when bands would sellotape lyrics on amps and nip over to check them. I don;t feel it decreases authenticity.

Good and insightful post.

I've worked with a vocalist for years who refers to a term he calls "mush-mouthing". Certain times when the words just won't come, he "mush-mouths" his way through the lines and just tries to get the correct number of sylables for the line. I'll never forget the night he came to me during a guitar solo and asked me what the first line to the next verse was. I told him I had no clue. He was surprised that I didn't know as we played the song close to nightly. I told him that we know THAT he sings but not WHAT he sings. He had the guitar player add an extra solo to buy himself some time. Then he had the keyboard player do a solo to buy more time. All of the sudden the line hit me... I walked over to him and told him: "It's the TITLE OF THE SONG!" We were playing She Caught The Katy by Taj Mahal and after the solo it went to the chorus not a verse and the first line is literally the title of the song. He just went blank. It happens. I can't tell you how many times I've personally reversed lines in HTW. Sometimes I have to put up a fight in Memphis and get taken for a ride in NYC. While y'all would probably catch me on that, I've never actually had an audience member ever question me on it. Maybe I'll do it on purpose at tonight's gig in honor of this thread!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 13, 2014 22:54

keefed
Ladykiller
Some guy told me, that Mick Jagger used also a teleprompter during a concert of the A Bigger Bang Tour. He was standing in one of the stage balconys and saw this from his place. I hope this is not true, because I would be disappointed in some kind of way.

why are you dissapointed? In my opinion everything is OK if it helps the guys onstage. There is or was a very important role in theatres called prompter. A real human prompter, not automatic. So if Sir Lawrence Olivier might have used a prompter onstage, then a telepprompter would fit the rock'n'roll bands nowadays, especially when you play in a stadium. Not that I've ever played music in a packed stadium....but I'd like to...smiling smiley

When people earn so much money like the Stones with their shows, there is no need for such things, IMO! I like to prefer shows without any safety net. Everything should be perfect without any fake things.

I saw once Barbra Streisand live and she read every single word (songs & talk to the audience) from telepromters in front of her!! I felt very disappointed as I saw that.

Teleprompted
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 13, 2014 23:28

Ladykiller
I saw once Barbra Streisand live and she read every single word (songs & talk to the audience) from telepromters in front of her!!

Imagine that...

latvianinexile

Posted by: ptr ()
Date: June 13, 2014 23:31

She really read everything during singing or just she had a chance to check what follows in the lyrics? Please keep on mind that focusing on "reading lyrics" is NOT comfortable for singer, because he/she cant be focused on melody and singing itself on 100%....

It works like this - as Paul obviously didnt write lyrics for Radio Ga Ga I´m not suprised he has problems with remembering order of lines - it finally led to shortening the song (QPR):

or this (Sabbath):

or like this (Purple):

or like this (Zeppelin´s O2 show):

As you see - all big bands use this type of "help"... But it´s nothing new.... Let´s go back to 1973 and one huge musical event of that year:

There is one myth: Presley´s declining health caused that his memory wasnt working well as before and because of that he had to read My Way during filmed 1977 shows. It´s not correct - in fact he always checked the lyrics for 1st verse of My Way (which was difficult for him to remember). It´s visible here - he has stand with sheets on stage front of Charlie Hodge and he "reads" the lyrics from there. He just didnt try to hide it later.

So - really nothing special in case of Stones or Streisand. smiling smiley

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 13, 2014 23:50

StrawberriesBlueberries
I have asked about this in the Telaviv thread already, but since there was no answer to the question, I thought I try again in a new thread. Did Keith during his set use a teleprompter for the lyrics in the past before this leg of the tour? I never realized it,but he obviously uses one now and it helps him with singing the right lyrics and keeping the pace of the song. Especially You Got the Silver benefits from it right now, compared to several videos I have seen from other concerts of the tour, where he often had problems with finding the lyrics at some points and with keeping the song flowing in consequence of that. For YGTS he only needs to take a look occasionally and I think it works well. For my taste he relies too much on the teleprompter still for Can't Be Seen, where he tends to glance somewhere to his left (teleprompter) for every second line, which shows his insecurity with the song. I guess this song wouldn't work without the teleprompter at all right now. But, to say something positive, I really like his vocals on this song, especially when he goes up with his voice ("I admit it anyway" etc.), which gives me a goosebump feeling, and I like, that he decided to perform this song. So, does anybody know? Is this maybe Mick's influence/suggestion, born from this rewarmed relationship of the two of them?

they both use teleprompters.
i use one when public speaking too. never really read from it, but glad it's there. it's like a safety net, even if you don't ever use it, it helps the confidence.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 14, 2014 00:02

I want not know, who all read from a telepromter in a concert. I'm afraid, that I can lose complete interest in a long time hobby (going to concerts since September 1985).

I only saw this thing in person during shows by the late Frank Sinatra, late Sammy Davis jr., Barbra Streisand and someother, who I don't remember at this moment.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 14, 2014 00:07

It's really not a huge deal--many many people use them, as sonomastone says, as a safety net. Robert Plant has used one for decades, and how many times has he sung Whole Lotta Love (yes, he still sings it)?

Date: June 14, 2014 00:12

Ladykiller
I want not know, who all read from a telepromter in a concert. I'm afraid, that I can lose complete interest in a long time hobby (going to concerts since September 1985).

I only saw this thing in person during shows by the late Frank Sinatra, late Sammy Davis jr., Barbra Streisand and someother, who I don't remember at this moment.

Sometimes it's best not to know all the tricks that are being used, isn't it? Not really sure where I fall on the teleprompter subject but I do understand your point.

I know for a fact that, if my lead vocalist puts "I Need You Now" on the setlist for tonight's show, I'm going to be turning my notebook to the page with the lyrics for the song so I can do my part of the duet with her. If that song's not on the list, I may look at a couple of chord charts, but there won't be any lyric sheets used by me. At the wedding I played last weekend, the bride and groom requested "Sweethearts Together" and, since our vocalist knows of my love for the Stones, she figured I should sing it... On nine days notice. I read the lyrics from a sheet of paper and double checked before I left the house to make sure it was in the bag. No way I was going to remember those words on short notice. Note: I NAILED IT!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 14, 2014 00:23

It´s not trick - its just technical improvement. Woud you describe stage monitor for musician as "trick"? It´s just technical stuff which makes show better and gives musicians sort of "comfortable" feeling that they can get help when they simply forget the lyrics. It´s really like prompt in theater which does not make actor better or worse.

I would love to know different thing.... how many bands are playing with using click - for people who have no idea - it´s sort of metronome. Setlists from previous tours (with bpm numbers) suggests that RS use that technology too, but probably only band and crew knows that for sure. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-14 00:28 by ptr.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 14, 2014 00:34

Face it Keith is getting old and showing his age. After the life he's led i think it's quite obvious the past has caught up to him and his mind is slowly fading. Don't expect much more from Keith Richards.

Date: June 14, 2014 00:42

ptr
It´s not trick - its just technical improvement. Woud you describe stage monitor for musician as "trick"? It´s just technical stuff which makes show better and gives musicians sort of "comfortable" feeling that they can get help when they simply forget the lyrics. It´s really like prompt in theater which does not make actor better or worse.

I would love to know different thing.... how many bands are playing with using click - for people who have no idea - it´s sort of metronome. Setlists from previous tours (which bpm numbers) suggests that RS use that technology too, but probably only band and crew knows that for sure. smiling smiley

OK, trick was a bad word for this example. I don't know that I'd call it a technical improvement though, either. I definately know wouldn't compare it with stage monitors. I like Aquamarine/sonomastone's word of "safety net".

As far as click tracks go, I'd say only bands who are using backing tracks or sequencers are using a click throughout a song.

Regarding the Stones, we had a long discussion on this board a few years back and, if I remember correctly, it was concluded that, except for possibly Sympathy where there was a recorded precussion track throughout the song (and Charlie may have even wore headphones on one tour) the markings on the setlist were simply for Chuck to be able to reference a tempo so he did the count off at the correct tempo. Not an easy thing to pull out EXACTLY the right tempo night after night after night and, if you're not a musician yourself - which I think you may be from reading some of your insights - believe me, +/- 1-2 bpm can make a HUGE difference depending on the song.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 14, 2014 00:52

But dont forget that lightshow + video for screen is probably programed very precisely too.... winking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 14, 2014 00:56

I find Keith's evident bashfulness over using the prompter quite charming.
He's clearly not very expert at using it, which shows during Can't Be Seen -
but as I wrote somewhere else, that number is so full of challenges that I'm not at all surprised
if getting the lyrics in a standard order each time isn't his primary concern.
His approach sure does keep the backup singers on their toes, though! :E

I love the Rolling Stones

Date: June 14, 2014 01:09

ptr
But dont forget that lightshow + video for screen is probably programed very precisely too.... winking smiley

You're right. And if you find me a musician/band leader who considers the syncing of their lights and video to the music in a live setting important enough to slave to a click track, I'll show you a musician who's missing the point tongue sticking out smiley. OK... I actually don't believe that myself as there could be an exception but it would be very rare.

Have you noticed that in EVERY picture of the Stones live on this board where you can see the image on the video screen in the background, the video is ALWAYS out of sync with the actual person in the picture? It's only milliseconds behind the live performer but it's behind. Our eyes may not catch it, but the camera shutter does. It's close but not perfect.

Now... If the band were using a click to keep in sync with an audio track or sequence, it WOULD make sense to use the technology to allow the sequencer to also control the lighting program if they wanted to. However, if the click is not necessary to keep the music in line, I believe that there would be few musicians willing to sync to a light program. In that circumstance, I'd rather just hire a light guy with a good sense of rhythm. Believe me, I've seen LDs back at the console who look like they're playing a keyboard on stage. Hitting their marks at just the right time. Sometimes they can put on a better show than the band!

Thanks for an enjoyable conversation ptr. If you post more, I'll try to catch up! I can't continue right now due to needing to get out of my office and head home to prep for my show tonight. Hope you have a good weekend!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 14, 2014 01:12

GasLightStreet
With so much material to know there's no issue with using a teleprompter. Hell, Michael Stipe used a music stand with sheet music on it so he could sing his own words.

I recall Sting doing that, too, on his very first solo tour back in 1985 when he was playing his entire new album...it was the first week of the tour.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 14, 2014 01:25

Ladykiller
Some guy told me, that Mick Jagger used also a teleprompter during a concert of the A Bigger Bang Tour. He was standing in one of the stage balconys and saw this from his place. I hope this is not true, because I would be disappointed in some kind of way.

a couple of tours back i was sitting side stage and could see the teleprompter at MSG. I was surprised to see it was also used by Mick to remind him where to go/what to do--notes like "run to stage left" It made me realize how much he wants each show to be choreographed down to the smallest detail and each song to be staged the same way every night.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: June 14, 2014 18:03

mr_dja
Ladykiller

Sometimes it's best not to know all the tricks that are being used, isn't it? Not really sure where I fall on the teleprompter subject but I do understand your point.

I know for a fact that, if my lead vocalist puts "I Need You Now" on the setlist for tonight's show, I'm going to be turning my notebook to the page with the lyrics for the song so I can do my part of the duet with her. If that song's not on the list, I may look at a couple of chord charts, but there won't be any lyric sheets used by me. At the wedding I played last weekend, the bride and groom requested "Sweethearts Together" and, since our vocalist knows of my love for the Stones, she figured I should sing it... On nine days notice. I read the lyrics from a sheet of paper and double checked before I left the house to make sure it was in the bag. No way I was going to remember those words on short notice. Note: I NAILED IT!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yeah, this is that I think as well. We are the ones to be entertained when watching a show. Playing a show is another thing. People go to Stones shows to be entertained. And they are . 100%. As BV reports a lot of times, people are happy coming out a of a concert. On the other side people onstage 'entartaining', make evrybody happy is another thing. It is a hard work. So every help is useful. Booze, pills, powders or teleprompter, ear-control, loop, and other pre-recorded stuff...
Anyway Barbra Streisand is a the prototype of the bad live performer...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 14, 2014 18:54

Much much worse when singers forget or fudge the lyrics...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 14, 2014 18:55

rob51
Face it Keith is getting old and showing his age. After the life he's led i think it's quite obvious the past has caught up to him and his mind is slowly fading. Don't expect much more from Keith Richards.

Oh brother.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 15, 2014 01:23

latebloomer
rob51

Oh brother.

Hes right latebloomer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 15, 2014 02:21

RockinJive
latebloomer
rob51

Oh brother.

Hes right latebloomer

Good Lawd.
No he's not.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 15, 2014 03:23

MisterDDDD
RockinJive
latebloomer
rob51

Oh brother.

Hes right latebloomer

Good Lawd.
No he's not.

Right. By most accounts, Keith is playing very well on this tour. The occasional mistakes are nothing new, he's been doing that for ages. It's silly to expect him to have the skill and energy he had in his youth, but there's no reason to think that he can't continue to perform well for as long as his general health holds out. Lots of artists into their 70's and even 80's are still creative. I think Keith wants that for himself and why shouldn't he? His mind is fine.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 15, 2014 03:49

Ladykiller
keefed
Ladykiller

why are you dissapointed? In my opinion everything is OK if it helps the guys onstage.

When people earn so much money like the Stones with their shows, there is no need for such things, IMO! I like to prefer shows without any safety net. Everything should be perfect without any fake things.

I saw once Barbra Streisand live and she read every single word (songs & talk to the audience) from telepromters in front of her!! I felt very disappointed as I saw that.

Everything should be perfect without a safety net. Well. First off, Mick seems more concerned about the fake things, as you put it: how the stage looks, the lights, whatever video content, special effects and fireworks, rather than working without a net - especially considering the lyrics since there is a guitar player to his left that screws up and always has on a showly basis. So that throws the 'perfect without any fake things' and the 'working without a net' out the window.

So Mick using a teleprompter is the least of your concerns. Because, seeing that they make all that money HE HAD BEST GET THEM RIGHT if he's at least not going to change them.

Nobody gives a shit if Bob Dylan screws up because you can't understand him anyway.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 15, 2014 11:34

I know it sounds weird, but the last thing I want is for everything to be perfect. I prefer people to machines. smiling smiley

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: June 15, 2014 20:56

I was fortunate enough to have a pit ticket last year in Chicago, got there very early, and was right behind the rail in front of Mick. You don't notice from far away, but I was a little taken aback at first just how much he is glancing down at the teleprompter. It was constant. And it was also obvious that many of the between song comments about Chicago were on there.

I was a little bummed at first, but then I realized that there is so much going on in the moment during a show - that the teleprompter as a safety net makes sense. He gives his all during a show - so who cares if he or Keith need to use one?

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: June 16, 2014 01:41

Ladykiller

I gather you're not a musician? Musicians are people, not machines. Sometimes we forget things. I'm not 70 but I imagine it's even more of an issue for people who are. I'm 52 and have been playing in bands for 35 years. At the moment I play in 4 different bands, which means I need to have around 250-300 songs in my memory, including some lesser used songs that we might only play once every 6 months or so. And sometimes, even when I'm playing a song I've played 1000 times over the years I can have a mental blank right in the middle of the song if I lose concentration or get distracted - Keith's recent flubbed intro to Brown Sugar is a classic example. So, I have a couple of chord charts on the floor for particular songs in front of my foldback wedge that I can glance at if I have a brain fart. Lyrics are even tougher to remember accurately. I don't begrudge the use of a teleprompter at all. If the technology is available, why not use it?

Date: June 16, 2014 02:37

What is way more puzzling to me that Keith can STILL crack himself up convincingly, after saying "it's good to be anywhere.."

Date: June 16, 2014 02:56

StrawberriesBlueberries
chatoyancy
Which show did you notice Keith looking to his left during Can't Be Seen?

The one from Telaviv. You can see the teleprompter at about 2:55 on the screen, which convinced me, that there is really a teleprompter, he is looking at from time to time. Before that I had wondered, why he has this turn to the left and often looks into this direction. I have to say now, that in my memory, from the first time watching the video, he was more looking at it than I can see now, at my second time watching, but it's hard to tell, because in this video you can only see what is on the screen, which often shows something else and not Keith from the front. From what one can see, Keith needed the teleprompter more often towards the end here. Alltogether this Tel Aviv performance of the song is probably the one that I liked the most so far.

If you know, where the teleprompter is located, you can guess, when he is looking at it also in other videos:

During this truely beautiful (and beautifully filmed) performance of You Got the Silver I see him quickly look a few times on the teleprompter, often more like he wants to go sure that what he thinks comes next is really what comes next. Of course one can argue, if I'm right here, but that's how I see it. One time before "You got my heart", once before "Me feeling foolish" and a few times near the end. He often got confused with a few lines of the song during the recent years, but that doesn't happen now anymore, from what I have seen of the European gigs.

Sometimes it's a mixture of trying to remember on his own and stealing a glance like a cheating schoolboy. Quite charming in a way. grinning smiley As I said, I have never noticed this before this leg of the tour, which made me wonder, if his use of a teleprompter is new. I think one can argue, how often he uses it (not everyrhing that looks like a glance to the left infront of him might be atually directed to the teleprompter, but it happens quite frequently). And there is clearly one with something written on it in the first video I posted. Mind you, I know that Mick has been using a teleprompter for a while, but I wondered about Keith.
Maybe the teleprompter is good for him because this is a f*ckin beautiful performance on all levels. The pacing and tempo of the song is perfect for Keith to act out the lyrics. One of his best performances I have ever seen. The guitar interlude with Ronnie is also so great; with this actually being a little piece of music.

Re: Teleprompted
Date: June 16, 2014 05:57

bye bye johnny
Ladykiller
I saw once Barbra Streisand live and she read every single word (songs & talk to the audience) from telepromters in front of her!!

Imagine that...

latvianinexile
Please don't tell me this picture is real...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home