Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T..The Bee gees
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 3, 2005 00:06

I really wanna know, what the Fans of the Rolling Stones Think about this group.

never read something about these Brothers on this board. Great music in the late 60th...Just heard their First Album again----a great-one
After hearing a long time the Ups and Downs of "LIVE LICKS"---i enjoy "massachusetts"--"World" Words"--and so on

Re: O.T..The Bee gees
Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: June 3, 2005 00:15

"WORDS" yeah I like that one...
Haven't thought about the rest of their music for awhile

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 3, 2005 00:36

they had a couple of peaks - the late 60's with a long string of stellar pop tunes and then of course at the beginning and peak of the disco craze in the mid-to-late 70's. Their song-crafting and vocals were impeccable, IMO. Some of their songs became great R&B covers for the likes of Burdon and others. Thumbs-up from me....

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: June 3, 2005 00:36

The Bee Gees were exceptionally talented songwriters & singers who had numerous No1 records worldwide.
The Gibb bros most popular era was the 70's with

Jive Talking (1975)
You should be Dancing (1976)
How deep is your Love (1977)
Staying Alive (1978)
Night Fever (1978)
Too much Heaven (1979)
Tragedy (1979)

During the 70's the Bee Gees were one of the biggest act's in the world and justifyably so.

Posted by: balk ()
Date: June 3, 2005 00:55

Their Spirits Having Flown Tour from I believe '78 was stunning, I have a pro shot of that tour on DVD and they soudn great, give an amazing performance and the audience goes wild. Just as The Stones a total different experience to what they did recently or nowadays!

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: June 3, 2005 01:05

I guess you had to be there to like them.
I can't stand their early stuff like "Massachusetts, the disco period is quite cool though :-)

what a transformation...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 3, 2005 01:10

There were two very different sets of Bee Gees. The 60's version that resembled more of a band. And that gave us a lot of schmaltzy Australian poptunes. And yet the clever songwriting always shines thropugh.
And then of course the ensemble that we all know and either love and loathe. The disco/chipmunck version. I thought Saturday Might Fever was a masterpiece of commercial writing. One had to experience NYC at that time. before "Miss You" came along that album rocked the city and transcended racial barriers. Of course any rocker is going to feel obliged to a certain amount of snickering at Barry's voice, his hairy chest adorned with golden chains underneath a silver satin spacesuit, his beard that drives the Streisands of this world wild, and his Karate kicks. But no one can deny his absolute brilliant songwriting, orchestration and arrangments.
I have great respect for the Gibb bros; especially Barry. That string of hits from Jive Talkin and You should be dancing on through Spirits and Nights on Broadway was quite a feat.
Would I want to hang out with him? Probabaly not.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: June 3, 2005 01:10

I love 'Lonely days', a great song.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 3, 2005 01:21

Still like their--"How could you meant a Broken heart

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 3, 2005 11:30

They don't look very good, but a great band, especially great songwriting.
But hard to find a great song after Spirits Having Flown.

Like alreday said their singles 1975-1979 was truly amazing.

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart: Good song, but you have to hear Al Greens cover version... truly amazing.

Date: June 3, 2005 15:54

"To Love Somebody" is a great song from the 60s. Listen to The Flying Burrito Brothers' version - great stuff!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 3, 2005 15:57

Rod Stewart also does a great version of "To Love Somebody" while backed by Booker T. and the MG's.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: June 3, 2005 18:25

Hated them to be honest - all of that high pitched vocal disco shit used to really annoy me. Even the Stones tried to copy them with Miss You - ughhhh. I can never watch them without seeing the Kenny Everett (UK comic, DJ) pisstake he used to do on his TV shows.

Andy

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 3, 2005 20:10

Well... growing up in the late 70s in the Italian section of Boston...we all ate 2 pieces of pizza folded in half, had waist length tight leather jackets. All we listened to was Saturday Night Fever and the disc before it.The stuff from that era was fantastic...before and after? Not so much

Man we all wanted to be either Tony Minero or Mick/Keith.....still waiting to see what happens.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 3, 2005 20:26

same here cafaro LOL. What surpised me was that it took so long for SNL to do a spoof on them. But when thye did it was a riot. Jimmy Fallon as Barry and Justin Timberlake as Robin.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 3, 2005 20:51

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought Saturday Might Fever was a
> masterpiece of commercial writing

Great typo grinning smiley

- Koen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home