Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Silver Train
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 6, 2023 00:56

sf37
By the way, are these "Track Talks" all housed in any specific IORR section, or is a general search required to look up any such song? I do find them all to be quite informative in their discussions. Thanks!

Thanks to Green Lady, you can find all the Track Talks here.

Drew

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2023 01:24

... Lurv the studio version ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: February 6, 2023 01:43

drewmaster
sf37
By the way, are these "Track Talks" all housed in any specific IORR section, or is a general search required to look up any such song? I do find them all to be quite informative in their discussions. Thanks!

Thanks to Green Lady, you can find all the Track Talks here.

Drew

Thank you drewmaster and Green Lady!

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: February 6, 2023 04:12

When GHS came out in 1973 nobody I knew bought it. All I heard of it was radio play of Angie and Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker. Didn't like the latter. Actively hated the former... sappy pabulum IMO. I skipped GHS, and IORR and Black and Blue after it. Stuck with my Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Hot Rocks until the lads bounced back with Some Girls, ER, & Tattoo You.

Didn't hear GHS through until decades later.

Had I heard Silver Train back then, it would have been different. Those were my Stones. I'd have had to look into the rest of GHS somehow.

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-06 04:15 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 6, 2023 18:11

TheBluesHadaBaby
When GHS came out in 1973 nobody I knew bought it. All I heard of it was radio play of Angie and Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker. Didn't like the latter. Actively hated the former... sappy pabulum IMO. I skipped GHS, and IORR and Black and Blue after it. Stuck with my Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Hot Rocks until the lads bounced back with Some Girls, ER, & Tattoo You.

Had I heard Silver Train back then, it would have been different. Those were my Stones. I'd have had to look into the rest of GHS somehow.

That seems so strange to not get something just because of two songs on the radio - released 4 months apart at that.

Did you ever get GHS, IORR and BAB? It occurred to me the other day how Hot Stuff has aged excellently, as well as that album - it somehow continues to improve as music textures change.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 6, 2023 23:53

I definitely skipped over it when GHS was new. Something about it seemed repetitious and not up to their standards. I got the new remix of GHS on SHM CD and I find the whole album more enjoyable and a work on its own terms.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 7, 2023 02:09

GasLightStreet
TheBluesHadaBaby

That seems so strange to not get something just because of two songs on the radio - released 4 months apart at that.

Did you ever get GHS, IORR and BAB? It occurred to me the other day how Hot Stuff has aged excellently, as well as that album - it somehow continues to improve as music textures change.
Nobody bought Goats Head Soup in1973?It was a number 1 album that year and went on to be one of their biggest selling albums.And Angie Silver Train and Heartbreaker are classic songs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-07 02:21 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 7, 2023 11:44

GHS was the first new Stones album which I bought unheard on release day.

I was born as a fan after being exposed to the still recent SF and Exile, and then spending my pocket money buying up the Decca back catalogue.

On GHS release day I was waiting outside for the the record shop to open.

In that respect it's quite a special album for me ...but it was an album that had to grow on me over time . I sort of grew to love it almost one track at a time .

[After of course we'd all had great fun at school, walking about singing "starfckr, Starfckr, starfckr ..." all day long. grinning smiley ]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 7, 2023 12:40

GOATS HEAD SOUP sold well, as did Elvis albums, but I think it marks the moment when The Stones started to look and sound old and old-fashionable, no matter how much glitter Jagger put on his face. I guess the success of "Angie" especially was Pyrrho's win for the band. From then on, they would remain incredible popular for sure, being elder statemen of rock, living legends, and sometimes even cope with the trends convincingly, but funnily 'irrelevant' as far as the development of rock music goes. It is is very different what they once were, reflecting and defining the zeitgeit. That sort of aging and going obsolete is most natural in pop music, but still, what a drag is getting old...

So I think the critical observations here do reflect the same phenomenon.

But if for any Stones album the father time has been very kind to GOATS HEAD SOUP. Forget the context, it is a wonderful album telling where the muse was taking them at the time. There is an unique feel there, the sort of insecure, even melancholic reflection of what's going on. Like I once described, it is a hang-over album after the fiesta of their previous albums. So if it does not have any longer a significance in the grand history of popular music giving soundtrack to the times (like the previous albums by them), it has an important role in the story of the Stones. It is the latter that interests us here, right?

"Silver Train" belongs to that corner of the album in which the bands plays safe, trusting to the blues rock instincts they had perfected in their previous albums. Probably there is some of that earlier freshness, sharpness, focus and edge lacking, but it works for me. It sounds 'tired' in a fascinating way.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-07 12:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: March 9, 2023 08:13

I like this lp a lot. Got it when there were used record stores. Some very good stuff on this lp. Like all the tracks especially Heartbreaker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-09 08:19 by babyblue.

Date: March 9, 2023 08:24

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
TheBluesHadaBaby

Nobody bought Goats Head Soup in1973?It was a number 1 album that year and went on to be one of their biggest selling albums.And Angie Silver Train and Heartbreaker are classic songs

Yes! However, as we know now, or should know, how albums were charted/sold... that aside, the Stones always sold a million plus regardless, at least in the US.

Date: March 9, 2023 08:32

Doxa
GOATS HEAD SOUP sold well, as did Elvis albums, but I think it marks the moment when The Stones started to look and sound old and old-fashionable, no matter how much glitter Jagger put on his face. I guess the success of "Angie" especially was Pyrrho's win for the band. From then on, they would remain incredible popular for sure, being elder statemen of rock, living legends, and sometimes even cope with the trends convincingly, but funnily 'irrelevant' as far as the development of rock music goes. It is is very different what they once were, reflecting and defining the zeitgeit. That sort of aging and going obsolete is most natural in pop music, but still, what a drag is getting old...

But if for any Stones album the father time has been very kind to GOATS HEAD SOUP. Forget the context, it is a wonderful album telling where the muse was taking them at the time. There is an unique feel there, the sort of insecure, even melancholic reflection of what's going on. Like I once described, it is a hang-over album after the fiesta of their previous albums. So if it does not have any longer a significance in the grand history of popular music giving soundtrack to the times (like the previous albums by them), it has an important role in the story of the Stones. It is the latter that interests us here, right?

"Silver Train" belongs to that corner of the album in which the bands plays safe, trusting to the blues rock instincts they had perfected in their previous albums. Probably there is some of that earlier freshness, sharpness, focus and edge lacking, but it works for me. It sounds 'tired' in a fascinating way.

- Doxa

I think the quip about the FINGERS/EXILE bit has gotten old: SOUP was the band continuing. It wasn't until the 1990s that SOUP was scene as a "hangover", as I recall - which made me think, WTF? Clearly inventive music/songs on GHS that were beyond FINGERS/EXILE. Really no different than anything post-SOME GIRLS.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 9, 2023 13:33

Silver Train is a blues song with a glam swagger.I like the way it swings ; it is difficult to replicate that groove and that makes it a special tune. Pure stones gem like Dance little Sister, Tallahassee Lassie etc...
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 9, 2023 14:58

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

I think the quip about the FINGERS/EXILE bit has gotten old: SOUP was the band continuing. It wasn't until the 1990s that SOUP was scene as a "hangover", as I recall - which made me think, WTF? Clearly inventive music/songs on GHS that were beyond FINGERS/EXILE. Really no different than anything post-SOME GIRLS.

Yes, I think you are right, GasLightStreet, about how I for one experienced GOATS HEAD SOUP when I bought it when it was released. There was no decisive judgement of the whole career of the Rolling Stones in the light of the then new album release at the time of the release. No advanced coming down interpretation and lethargy feeling at that moment. All such thoughts are reflections from a much later period's hindsight, as you say, GasLightStreet. Instead the album was then just another release of their long career journey, marked different from its predecessor in much the same way as many Rolling Stones albums had been up to then. Not by this, protesting against a hindsight estimation of the album's role in their career, but what has to be seen as that.That is, a hindsight judgement.

Maybe, the point of view (or should I refer to viewpoint?), takes on a different character for different musical generations, the latest of which have their first listenings to that album (as to much other albums) after or at the same time as they read or may read these hindsight judgements of the albums.

So this is a very good observation by you, GasLightStreet. To the extent I have not read you too far from your intention.

Edit: the minor addition about the term "viewpoint" as alternative to "point of view".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-09 15:15 by Witness.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 10, 2023 18:50

Silver Dagger
More camp than a row of tents!

Methinks this was the first time the Stones brought camp to the party, at least in a promo.

Are they playing for real? I see amps and jacks on the guitars, but I also hear a piano and an harmonica.

Same thing for Brown Sugar video 1971.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home