Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Was Highwire ever considered live ?
Date: June 11, 2014 12:38

gotdablouse
"Classic Ronnie" ? While we're discussing possibilities and bouncing ideas off of each other, here comes another DP sweeping statement backed up by...? Like "The SOL solo is obviously played by Mick on the record since he played it live"?...Where else has Ronnie played a solo like that? And it was certainly not a "filler" for FP, Sexdrive was a filler for Flashpoint.

It didn't do well in the charts although it was banned on the BBC, hehe...the last time a Stones song was banned on the BBC I think. It was quite popular in France though at the time with many people who had normally no interest in the Stones finding it pretty catchy. I liked that, hehe...I think describing it as the "Don't Stop" and "Doom & Gloom" of its time is pretty appropriate indeed.

It IS classic Ronnie. Just like the funky countryish themes on Crazy Mama and Don't Stop, to name a few.

Before ranting, you should listen more. Ears can be trained, and identifying playing styles within the Stones is something I know a lot about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 12:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 11, 2014 14:07

"We sell 'em missiles, we sell 'em tanks" - a correct and unfortunately up-to-date message. And the music is beyond all critics - a perfect rock song with great heavy guitar work by Keith and Ronnie. Qualified extraordinary for being played live ...

Date: June 11, 2014 15:02

RobertJohnson
"We sell 'em missiles, we sell 'em tanks" - a correct and unfortunately up-to-date message. And the music is beyond all critics - a perfect rock song with great heavy guitar work by Keith and Ronnie. Qualified extraordinary for being played live ...

The "heaviest" guitar (open G) was played by Mick, though.

I like the song myself - for what it is: a classic rocker. Keith's licks and Ronnie's lead guitar improves it a lot, imo.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 11, 2014 15:04

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse
"Classic Ronnie" ? While we're discussing possibilities and bouncing ideas off of each other, here comes another DP sweeping statement backed up by...? Like "The SOL solo is obviously played by Mick on the record since he played it live"?...Where else has Ronnie played a solo like that? And it was certainly not a "filler" for FP, Sexdrive was a filler for Flashpoint.

It didn't do well in the charts although it was banned on the BBC, hehe...the last time a Stones song was banned on the BBC I think. It was quite popular in France though at the time with many people who had normally no interest in the Stones finding it pretty catchy. I liked that, hehe...I think describing it as the "Don't Stop" and "Doom & Gloom" of its time is pretty appropriate indeed.

It IS classic Ronnie. Just like the funky countryish themes on Crazy Mama and Don't Stop, to name a few.

Before ranting, you should listen more. Ears can be trained, and identifying playing styles within the Stones is something I know a lot about.

Not very convincing, that long guitar solo on Highwire really doesn't sound like anything else they've ever recorded, and knowing how you operate you probably didn't bother going back and listen to it.

As for your advice, why don't you take it and do your own "listening", as in, actually discussing things with other forum members instead of barging in with "definitive answers" as is your wont it seems. This never works well in a forum setting and when they're inaccurate, it's more than annoying.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 15:10 by gotdablouse.

Date: June 11, 2014 15:16

Yeah, gotdablouse, find the many examples of my musical inaccuracies on this forum during the 17 years I've been posting here. Go ahead, look 'em up!

The whole Some Girls album is filled with guitar solos that have b-bender overdubs weaved within - just like the Highwire solo. I don't have to "look it up" as I remember it by heart.

If you can't see that parallel, or the similarity with the Crazy Mama-build up, it's not my fault.

The one inaccuracy you keep bringing up comes from a guitar theme (in SOL) that my granma could have played.

I'm not sure what makes you so annoyed by that little mistake, but luckily there are lots of other posters that value my contributions here, when it comes to who's playing what.

It will also be interesting to get your theory on who they hired in to play a Ronnie-esque b-bender theme solo on Highwire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 15:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 11, 2014 15:37

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

The "heaviest" guitar (open G) was played by Mick, though.

I like the song myself - for what it is: a classic rocker. Keith's licks and Ronnie's lead guitar improves it a lot, imo.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home