Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Was Highwire ever considered live ?
Posted by: lickskeith ()
Date: June 9, 2014 13:09

Hey guys. hope everyone is staying fresh on this crazy hot day.

I was wondering if Highwire was ever considered live?
Was it ever tried on rehearsals?
or was it just a one-time gem that the band forgot about?!

thanks for the info

Re: Was Highwire ever been considered live ?
Date: June 9, 2014 13:33

No, I don't think the Stones ever considered doing it live. It was written about a political event from the late 80s/early 90s, so by now, it would make for a good live rocker, but it would be dated. Just like the styles of 'Miss You' and 'Emotional Rescue'. winking smiley
I agree that it is a great song, though.

Re: Was Highwire ever considered live ?
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: June 9, 2014 13:43

No,never rehearsed.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: June 9, 2014 13:50

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

No, I don't think the Stones ever considered doing it live. It was written about a political event from the late 80s/early 90s, so by now, it would make for a good live rocker, but it would be dated. Just like the styles of 'Miss You' and 'Emotional Rescue'. winking smiley

"We sell them missiles we sell them tanks" is dated ?? confused smiley

The lyrics are actual and by the way the "political event" was the Iraqui invasion of Kuwait in 1990, following by the first Gulf War in 1991. Building up countries by permitted sales of arms is not dated.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 14:58 by electricmud.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 9, 2014 14:44

"following by the first Gulf War in" 1991.

"Building up countries by permitted sales of arms is not dated."

Imo what Jagger objected to was selling tons of arms to Saddam (in the 80's) then declaring he's @#$%&'s son (1990).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 14:45 by dcba.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: June 9, 2014 15:05

dcba
Imo what Jagger objected to was selling tons of arms to Saddam (in the 80's) then declaring he's @#$%&'s son (1990).

That`s right dcba. But imo you can use the lyrics as a not dated statement in general. Don`t know how to say it in better words in a foreign laguage..

Tom

Thanx for the correction winking smiley

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 9, 2014 16:43

I love that track. It would be entirely appropriate to play in 2014!

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 9, 2014 17:05

Also, around the same time, also a bonus track on Flashpoint is Sex Drive which i always thought was way better than given credit for.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 9, 2014 17:07

Good song (Mick told RS in January 1991 that he had the chords/music leftover from recent sessions, most likely SW) and it's got a nice singalong chorus that would certainly work well live. Maybe Mick thinks it's dated...Did anyone figure out for sure who played that long and "fast" solo, not exactly Keith or Ronnie's style ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 9, 2014 17:41

no

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 9, 2014 17:56

Interesting question Bluse!
I always thought it sounded like a mish-mash of Ronnie and Keith playing through one of those Music Man guitars. I will be interested to hear who does the solo. Love the solo and great rocking song!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 9, 2014 18:38

Awful song

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 9, 2014 19:21

Not is it an awful song, they said they wouldn't do it out of respect for Bill.

Date: June 9, 2014 19:29

electricmud

imo you can use the lyrics as a not dated statement in general.

I think it is dated. And Keith remarked in th mid-90's that "it's pointless to write a song about @#$%& Bosnia" cos by the time you put the song out the conflict in question is already over.

Can't say Keith's wrong... So it makes me think HW was Mick's indignation and Mick's only.
(I like the song btw... and I like "Sex Drive" too)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 9, 2014 19:54

Not a bad song at all, Stones-by-numbers, sounding pure 'Stones' with all traditional tricks, but lyrically it sounded a bit stupid back in the day, and I don't think the world haven't warmed much since then. Sometimes is not all about the 'message', but what are the credibitibilities by the messanger.... It is not 1968 and "Street Fighting Man" no more....

I guess Jagger and the rest rest forgot the song the day it was released and got no positive response (the critics laughed about it, and it failed big time in the charts). So no live updates in horizon...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 21:38 by Doxa.

Date: June 9, 2014 20:38

electricmud
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

"We sell them missiles we sell them tanks" is dated ?? confused smiley

The lyrics are actual and by the way the "political event" was the Iraqui invasion of Kuwait in 1990, following by the first Gulf War in 1991. Building up countries by permitted sales of arms is not dated.

Tom
I see your point, it's just that the overall event that inspired the track is dated and not on the level of, say, Vietnam or WWI/WWII.

The line you quoted is still relevant, BTW.

Date: June 9, 2014 20:40

Send It To me
I love that track. It would be entirely appropriate to play in 2014!
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: June 9, 2014 20:42

gotdablouse
Good song (Mick told RS in January 1991 that he had the chords/music leftover from recent sessions, most likely SW) and it's got a nice singalong chorus that would certainly work well live. Maybe Mick thinks it's dated...Did anyone figure out for sure who played that long and "fast" solo, not exactly Keith or Ronnie's style ?
Mick Jagger.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 9, 2014 20:57

Classic Ronnie. Played by Ronnie, of course.

The track was made as filler for Flashpoint. Three years later, for the VL tour, it was probably forgotten and not taken into consideration for the VL setlist.

Date: June 9, 2014 21:49

DandelionPowderman

The track was made as filler for Flashpoint. Three years later, for the VL tour, it was probably forgotten and not taken into consideration for the VL setlist.

Usually they don't do videos for album fillers... That said, I think they had a bit more in their minnds for it than being just a filler... Basically same kind of point as "Doom & Gloom" or "Don't Stop" has, to help to sell some other product.. Artistically thinking, basically the same merit as well...

- Doxa

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 10, 2014 07:25

Just thinking about the very unlikely possibility of this track being included on a Stones concert: some people probably would like it, and a lot of people would be dissatisfied, asking for some old warhorse instead of it. By the way, I like this song, but it's not one of the songs I would kill to listen to it live. winking smiley

Date: June 10, 2014 07:57

i like the song.

Date: June 10, 2014 10:22

"Classic Ronnie" ? While we're discussing possibilities and bouncing ideas off of each other, here comes another DP sweeping statement backed up by...? Like "The SOL solo is obviously played by Mick on the record since he played it live"?...Where else has Ronnie played a solo like that? And it was certainly not a "filler" for FP, Sexdrive was a filler for Flashpoint.

It didn't do well in the charts although it was banned on the BBC, hehe...the last time a Stones song was banned on the BBC I think. It was quite popular in France though at the time with many people who had normally no interest in the Stones finding it pretty catchy. I liked that, hehe...I think describing it as the "Don't Stop" and "Doom & Gloom" of its time is pretty appropriate indeed.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-10 10:38 by gotdablouse.

Date: June 10, 2014 11:18

gotdablouse

It was quite popular in France though at the time with many people who had normally no interest in the Stones finding it pretty catchy. I liked that, hehe...

That's nice to know. You French are more up to some controversality than most of us Western democracies are, and always a bit against mainstream, which is cool...thumbs up

I liked the song a lot, and I find it fascinating that my old heroes are the ones holding a flag against the consensus that seemed to be so prevailing at the time. But seemingly many other people thought differently, and the over-all impression I got was that the Stones and Jagger were seen a bit artificial with their critical stance. Like the old 60's icons still try to sound controversial, but ending up sounding pathetic or something. Wasn't also the timing of its release a bit late as well - the first Gulf Crisis had been settled by then or something?

- Doxa

Date: June 10, 2014 11:49

Yes, it did sound a bit artificial I suppose ;-)

As for dates, I remember reading about it in RS in January 1991, and it was released on March 1st [en.wikipedia.org] so yes, a day after the ceasefire was declared by Bush Sr...

--------------

Date: June 10, 2014 17:41

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Usually they don't do videos for album fillers... That said, I think they had a bit more in their minnds for it than being just a filler... Basically same kind of point as "Doom & Gloom" or "Don't Stop" has, to help to sell some other product.. Artistically thinking, basically the same merit as well...

- Doxa

It was also a single with a concept. But its place and function on Flashpoint was nothing but filler.

Date: June 11, 2014 01:40

dcba

I think it is dated. And Keith remarked in th mid-90's that "it's pointless to write a song about @#$%& Bosnia" cos by the time you put the song out the conflict in question is already over.

Otoh oen of Neil Young's most fav songs is "Ohio" and he still plays it today. So Keith might not be 100% right...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 11, 2014 03:03

Well it is certainly not as good a song as Ohio. It is certainly a Mick song. I don't think Keith likes these direct songs he said something in Rolling Stone about Sweet Neo Con (one of the worst songs in the Stones cannon) that he'd support Mick about putting it out but you could tell he did not think much of it. I forget exactly what he said.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 11, 2014 04:18

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

It was also a single with a concept. But its place and function on Flashpoint was nothing but filler.

I would rather say that "Highwire" and "Sexdrive" were put on FLASHPOINT not as fillers, but to to compel buyers of the live album to listen to those two new studio songs as well. ( More or less Doxa's point.)

I suppose that they wanted to make a political statement of the moment. Being a political statement of that moment, it would be a statement they did not want to belong to every other moment. Meaning that they in a certain moment were ready to deliver a political utterance, but did not wish to present themselves as a political band as such on any occasion. The outcome of such a consideration would mean that "Highwire" would be excluded from their setlists. All the more important for them then, it was to have that song included in FLASHPOINT to make certain that the song was heard as belonging to one special moment.

For me personally it is a little sad that they possibly thought that way. Because I have always since then found "Highwire" to be a much more appealing and interesting song than I ever thought of "Start Me up".

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 11, 2014 05:22

It didn't really have a direct political 'message', other than our leaders are
hypocrites, making bad situations worse, throwing money around with our blessing, etc. Just a little jab at our complacency with good music behind it. Now, Sweet Neocon, even if it had good music behind it, doesn't stand up. Just comes across as heavy-handed political posturing. Not in the same league as Highwire.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home