Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

sticky fingers/kill city iggy pop/james williamson
Posted by: lippmann ()
Date: June 8, 2014 23:47

yes yes, i am burnin for the düsseldorf show,too,but on this hot summerday i have only ears for the wonderful reissue of iggs/williamsons kill city from 78.i am sure that lot of people on this side, know and love this record since it came out.myself bought it in the early eighties on a recommending from the german sounds(what a great magazine that was)at that time, stonesbashing was high, the critique said this record is better than sticky fingers, but nobody seems to care.if you read the trynka book about iggy(thanks tl)you see under which horrible and i mean horrible circumstances, this records made, you couldnt help but wonder that such a masterwork is unrecognized to this day.
to pick a song is useless, because everything is in its place, the mount olympus, where tracks like tumblin dice, sway, brown sugar or moonlight mile make their rounds.
the flow of the record is perfect, from kill city to master charge.james williamson
on guitar has all the lessons learned that keith gave him and sometimes he goes further, on takes like "consolation prizes", that riff is so greatly worked out, bought up, till the refrain with the slide guitar that brings you directly to the start, iggy itself is a little buried in the mix but nonetheless on the peak of his game,"johanna, i hate you baby, but your the one i love!".
hear scott thurston on piano that would make nicky proud, hear the great saxplaying of john harden on "beyond the law".Night theme and master charge remind
me on outtakes like seperatly from goats head soup, they got the same foggy atmosphere.dont forget the sales brothers on bass and drums, what a pair!
so, the 2011 remaster made by james williamson does this record proud, the original from 78 sounds like a great stones outtakes boot, this new one has its place directly beside sticky fingers. iggy and williamson, after that, had only once touch this heights, on new values and that was directly influenced by some girls, but thats another story.
maybe see you again, when we talk about records great as fingers,part two, teenage head, or did you have others, that where kissed by the gods?.let us know.
gerhard from frankfurt, greetings frank!

Re: sticky fingers/kill city iggy pop/james williamson
Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 10, 2014 06:42

I'm a big fan of Kill City in both the original and 2011 remixes. Even though Ig and James made Kill City while Ig was on weekend leave from a psychiatric facility, its predecessor, Raw Power, is more unhinged sounding.

However, credit where it's due: by the time James produced New Values, he wasn't playing much guitar. Scott Thurston (now with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) plays most of the guitar on that album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-10 07:03 by ab.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 10, 2014 12:29

Thanks lippmann, you got me interested in this album. thumbs up

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 10, 2014 13:47

Kill City is a fantastic album!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: June 10, 2014 17:27

Also check out the Flaming Groovies album Teenage Head. It's been called the teenage Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 10, 2014 18:01

coffeepotman
Also check out the Flaming Groovies album Teenage Head. It's been called the teenage Sticky Fingers.

One of my favourite bands you're talking about here. Yup, it sure is a great album. Still prefer Shake Some Action though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home