Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Best version of "Under My Thumb"
Date: June 7, 2014 15:46

[youtu.be]

I recently heard this one while driving, and was just blown away. The quality of audio alone is outstanding, and performance is great.
I don't know if others here recall the early days when you were still discovering the songs that are now part of your psyche. But I first heard UMT on the "Gimme Shelter" LP, which is the "Got Live" version; so very fast. Then once I learned about the actual studio version I was a bit let down. I was still very young, and everything had to be fast and loud IMO.
Similar thing actually happened with Gimme Shelter" the song. I had the 45 single by Grand Funk, which is pretty much a Neanderthsl's view of the great song, LOL. But to me it was the greatest - that huge Bass. So it took me a while to apprecizate the power and nuances of the true version. I was under 10 years old is my excuse winking smiley.
this version here of UMT is great to me because it has the best of both worlds. It is aggressive and live, but not over the top. Once again - Bill Wyman was sucha major part of that Stones sound.

Re: Best version of "Under My Thumb"
Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 7, 2014 15:48

I wish there was an official 1967 live release. It may have been their best tour!

Date: June 7, 2014 16:09

There are these 'obscure' tours; Europe '67 and Europe '70, whch would really benefit from some top quality audio release. Because the playing was great. It would document Brian at his most adventurous on stage, with the best possible sound equipment. And Europe 70 (my personal favorite tour) has Taylor along; they are in Bluesy mood from US 69. Well lubed, but also a little shell shocked. It is the first with Price and Keys and Nicky. "Stray Cat Blues" with the horns....cool smiley

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 7, 2014 16:12

Definitely don't think it's the best version, but I just love Keith's tone on this one; especially from 3:15 onwards.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 16:22

I l like the speeded up rocky version of 1981/82
But strangely, I've never heard it live & I've been at 19 shows since 19990.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 16:28

I love the 81/82 live versions best.
Still life-Version is perhaps my favorite!
But I love the studio-version very much, too!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2014 16:36

The 1967 European tour! hot smiley

Let's say the Olympia gig existed in full and in excellent quality for an official release, they would probably keep Ruby Tuesday off due to Brians out of tune recorder playing. grinning smiley

Date: June 7, 2014 16:47

I think the 80's version post up there is great too.

Love that chordal guitar part Keith played during the A chord "it's alright" section. Cool as @#$%&. cool smiley

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: June 7, 2014 16:52

Definitely the best version! That whole Olympia concert is great. A lot of energy, great and unique medley's( Get out of my cloud/Yesterdays Pappers; Going Home/Satisfaction) smiling bouncing smiley>grinning smiley<

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:25

Still got that single 45 somewhere,and if I remember,it was 'The Singer not the Song' on the B side. smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 7, 2014 17:51

I'm a fan of the 81/82 version. Like the Leeds one above, Hampton or the Still Life version. I guess the Still Life tour was the last when they managed to "renew" old hits and make them sound more contemporary.

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: June 7, 2014 18:02

Thumb is up there with my favourite stones tracks, but personally I'm not a fan of most live versions I've heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-07 18:05 by SilverBlanket.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 7, 2014 19:29

Nothing matches the album version. This song should be kept at a slower tempo to maintain the power, and beauty as intended.

Posted by: MLC5555 ()
Date: June 7, 2014 19:47

My persolal fave is Live 1969 - Baltimore... the way in goes onto I'm Free - and Taylor's SOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLC

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 7, 2014 20:08

We had a thread about this, popped up only a few weeks ago...

The 1969 versions were the best live ones I like. Never heard this one live... am afraid will never do...sad smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 7, 2014 20:17

Its great but come on the 1969 tour versions were shockingly amazing!

Date: June 7, 2014 22:13

I had totally forgotten about them doing it in '69. Of course that makes one think of the Altamont version.
I do think the Paris Olympia shows, not just the 67 one, could be issued as official boots by Stones.

Date: June 7, 2014 22:32

hot stuff
Its great but come on the 1969 tour versions were shockingly amazing!

A different kind of greatness.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 7, 2014 22:41

1981/82, hands down. Despite the fact that Keith botched the intro sometimes (well, the fans didn't want to "ctycify" him for a bad intro then...)

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 7, 2014 23:05

Yep the 81/82 version for me. I was at Leeds ROundhay Park gig as it is only about 10 miles from my town and it was a lovely sunny day (bit breezy) and the music was blown about a bit at times but for the opener - UMT it was perfect and the sound of Keith's guitar was amazing. Happy memories despite making myself sick from smoking too many Red Marlboroughs due to them being the only ones on sale, I think they were sponsors!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2014 01:13

....whenever your singing it yourself guys....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 8, 2014 01:22

The ABKCO Aftermath studio remaster.

Date: June 8, 2014 01:47

Chris Fountain
Nothing matches the album version. This song should be kept at a slower tempo to maintain the power, and beauty as intended.
smileys with beerthumbs up

Date: June 8, 2014 01:49

Chris Fountain

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 8, 2014 02:40

On this tour they tried to do a slower version, I do not mind
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 8, 2014 04:15

Testify
On this tour they tried to do a slower version, I do not mind
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks - much better

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 8, 2014 10:54

I like the Still Life version best. Great Keith guitar and it just sounds kind of regal somehow.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 8, 2014 10:58

Still Life. Awesome.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 8, 2014 11:02

msg 1969 then on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! bonus disc.
fantastic mick taylor's solo and groove.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 8, 2014 14:26

Even though the original studio version is one of the most beautiful, sophisticated pieces they ever have done, the 'road versions' from 1966/67, 1969 and 1981/82 are all striking. A wonderful tune.

Watching that Leeds '82 version makes almost one feel sad... Bill, Stu, omnipotent Keef, Jagger still crazy... never would be that again, the last gig of traditional order...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-08 14:28 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home