Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Tel Aviv 04 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: z ()
Date: June 5, 2014 21:38

bv

Charlie is laughing because of something Mick said during the presentation of him.

Mick said in Hebrew: "Birthday kid Charlie". Then the audience started singing 'happy birthday to you'.
When Mick introduced Ronnie he asked him in Hebrew: "Did you buy your shoes in the marketplace?".

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: June 5, 2014 21:44

Pauly mentioned in his very good and fullsome review how effective it was to follow T Dice with Angie. It immediately occured to me that they were also (ofcourse) successive lead singles.

This brought to my mind how 'thrilling' it would be to hear them play their seventies singles in immediate succession -

Brown Sugar, T Dice, Angie, IORR, Fool To Cry, Miss You - and then maybe Start Me Up to rond it off.

All on a B Stage ofcourse.

Ok, commence with JJF and HTW and finish with Undercover and Harlem Shuffle and you'd have a mainly WarHorse set that no-one would whinge about.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 5, 2014 21:51

At 7:14 you can see Mick asking Taylor to stop playing. He wants to hear the audience in his "everybody say oh yeah" thing. Then at 7:53 he shouts "Shut up already, damn!".

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 5, 2014 22:01

great videos, great rambler, great shelter
wow

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 5, 2014 22:16

z

At 7:14 you can see Mick asking Taylor to stop playing. He wants to hear the audience in his "everybody say oh yeah" thing. Then at 7:53 he shouts "Shut up already, damn!".

Just like in the good old days ...thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 5, 2014 22:26

DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
Splendid review indeed, Paul - thank you!

And thank you Dandelion P for that brilliant photo of Keith - who took it, please and thank you?

And someone PLEASE tell us more about Mick telling the band "Shut up already! Damn!" during Ramber -
when did he yell that, and what moved him to? I love it! And did they shut up already or not so much?
Minds want to know! :E

#StonesTelAviv

Dandelion P my sweet, I'm too dense to know what you might mean by that. What might you mean?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 5, 2014 22:27

z

Ace version, but Taylor is a bit irritating on this one.

Jagger hot smiley Wow!!!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 5, 2014 22:36

His Majesty
z

Ace version, but Taylor is a bit irritating on this one.

Jagger hot smiley Wow!!!

Wanting to see the dialogue bettween MJ & the band I've only watched from about 7:30 until the end and I came away with the same feeling as His Majesty. Didn't think that I'd ever agree that Taylor was irritating but the word is accurate for my feelings and Wow is a great summary for Jagger although I wouldn't have disagreed with all caps and a few more exclamation points either!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: June 5, 2014 22:52

Paulywaul, your review was brilliant! I agree with you 100%, you really have to actually be at a show yourself in order to make "best show ever" comments and to me at least that's always only a personal statement, not a general one. The person next to me may hate the show while to me for whatever reason it was the best ever, all depends on your impression at the time. From all I've read in this thread it sounds like the Stones were in great form, wish I could have been there!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 5, 2014 23:07

what bothers me is the attitude that the fans who go see these shows are supposed to think they are seeing something less than the shows in the distant past,as if they are getting a watered down/old slow version of the rolling stones-

that simply isnt true- the stones are far better than they were in the early 60'and are as good as they were at anytime since the 81-82 tour. that leaves only the 1969 tour and the 70's.

as good as the taylor years were, the stage,sound system,lighting rig etc from 69-72 were a joke compared to what they have now.mick jagger,after playing football stadiums for 30 years looks as though he feels cramped on an arena stage of the size they used in the early 70's.

not every show from 69-82 was some musical triumph,thats bullshit.i saw a show on the 1978 tour that was the worst gig i've ever seen and there were alot of stoned,off kilter moments during the taylor years as well.

what i'm saying is when its all over someday, if you saw the stones even one time during any era thats a big deal.when people say they saw elvis they dont say which year,its just"i saw friggin elvis,live!"

Date: June 5, 2014 23:13

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
Splendid review indeed, Paul - thank you!

And thank you Dandelion P for that brilliant photo of Keith - who took it, please and thank you?

And someone PLEASE tell us more about Mick telling the band "Shut up already! Damn!" during Ramber -
when did he yell that, and what moved him to? I love it! And did they shut up already or not so much?
Minds want to know! :E

#StonesTelAviv

Dandelion P my sweet, I'm too dense to know what you might mean by that. What might you mean?

From the Stones official Facebook/twitter pages. No photographer credited smiling smiley

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 5, 2014 23:30

lem motlow
what bothers me is the attitude that the fans who go see these shows are supposed to think they are seeing something less than the shows in the distant past,as if they are getting a watered down/old slow version of the rolling stones-

that simply isnt true- the stones are far better than they were in the early 60'and are as good as they were at anytime since the 81-82 tour. that leaves only the 1969 tour and the 70's.

as good as the taylor years were, the stage,sound system,lighting rig etc from 69-72 were a joke compared to what they have now.mick jagger,after playing football stadiums for 30 years looks as though he feels cramped on an arena stage of the size they used in the early 70's.

not every show from 69-82 was some musical triumph,thats bullshit.i saw a show on the 1978 tour that was the worst gig i've ever seen and there were alot of stoned,off kilter moments during the taylor years as well.

what i'm saying is when its all over someday, if you saw the stones even one time during any era thats a big deal.when people say they saw elvis they dont say which year,its just"i saw friggin elvis,live!"

thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 5, 2014 23:31

lem motlow

Great Post, Lem!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 5, 2014 23:32

z
At 7:14 you can see Mick asking Taylor to stop playing. He wants to hear the audience in his "everybody say oh yeah" thing.
Then at 7:53 he shouts "Shut up already, damn!".

Charmed I'm sure! Thank you

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 5, 2014 23:53

Some really good points, from Lem.

Date: June 6, 2014 00:28

Deluxtone
Pauly mentioned in his very good and fullsome review how effective it was to follow T Dice with Angie. It immediately occured to me that they were also (ofcourse) successive lead singles.

This brought to my mind how 'thrilling' it would be to hear them play their seventies singles in immediate succession -

Brown Sugar, T Dice, Angie, IORR, Fool To Cry, Miss You - and then maybe Start Me Up to rond it off.

All on a B Stage ofcourse.

Ok, commence with JJF and HTW and finish with Undercover and Harlem Shuffle and you'd have a mainly WarHorse set that no-one would whinge about.

If they played their seventies singles in immediate succession it would be a lot longer than that. grinning smiley It would be: Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Tumbling Dice, Happy, Angie, Heartbreaker, IORR, Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Fool To Cry, Hot Stuff, Miss You, Beast Of Burden, Respectable and Shattered.

Date: June 6, 2014 00:28

lem motlow

What people are getting is half the band it once was. Even Jagger himself has acknowledged that they are kinda cheating using the name The Rolling Stones.

lem motlow

... the stones are far better than they were in the early 60'...

Nonsense.

Date: June 6, 2014 00:35

His Majesty
lem motlow

What people are getting is half the band it once was. Even Jagger himself has acknowledged that they are kinda cheating using the name The Rolling Stones.

lem motlow

... the stones are far better than they were in the early 60'...

Nonsense.

Since when did you start taking Mick litterally? winking smiley

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: June 6, 2014 00:40

Date: June 6, 2014 00:42

DandelionPowderman

When ever his comments resonate with what clearly has happened or is happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 00:43 by His Majesty.

Date: June 6, 2014 00:50

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

When ever his comments resonate with what clearly has happened or is happening.

His comment is both correct and silly. Factually correct, but silly because it's a group of five musicians - and one of them can never be more important than the whole band. Hence, of course they should still be the real Rolling Stones.

Date: June 6, 2014 00:57

DandelionPowderman

His comment is both correct and silly. Factually correct, but silly because it's a group of five musicians - and one of them can never be more important than the whole band. Hence, of course they should still be the real Rolling Stones.

I didn't know you smoked crack.

Date: June 6, 2014 01:00

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I didn't know you smoked crack.

Have a whiff on me. You might need it smiling smiley

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:19

It was extremely hot so my wife and I did not queue early. The venue had 14 gates and the respective gate no. was printed on ones ticket. Golden Circle Ronnie's side was through gate no. 14 and that was the only gate that wasn't visible from the surrounding fence, were people had to queue. I'll skip the part where we and others were misled because of uninformed ushers. We got in and where the first ones at the rail and we chose a position a few meters to the side of the catwalk. The stage was not as high as I had feared after seeing Wroclaw's pictures of the catwalk the day before. It was about the same height as in Oslo and Zürich. The end of the catwalk was very high because of the unevenness of the terrain. Only indispensable parts of the stage and equipment had been transported to Tel Aviv from Europe. The side screens were different and smaller than the ones in Oslo and Zürich. Also the golden ornaments were missing around the side parts of the stage. They were only around the center screen. Charlie's open/closed sign was in Hebrew last night.

In spite of the heat the band delivered a great show. Mick didn't move or run less. There were plenty of extra fans at the edge of the stage and Mick tried to cool his back a couple of times stopping in front of a large fan to the left of Lisa and Bernard. The atmosphere was great and the crowd had already very much appreciated the local opening act. Everyone on stage seemed to be in a very good mood and it is a joy to see how good Mick and Keith get along nowadays. Keith's playing was economical at times, also during his two songs. He again (or still) doesn't feel comfortable playing and singing simultaneously. Therefore there was no major fook up during Can't be Seen and the opening chords of Brown Sugar also sounded OK smiling smiley. Mick Taylor didn't break a string and Ronnie's playing was excellent. I'd say the band is oiled well now and we can look forward to more great performances in Europe.

Some of my pics

Date: June 6, 2014 01:24

Lovely pictures! thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:30

Great pics. smileys with beer

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:36

More excellent photos LiE. Danke schon for sharing and an excellent report.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 6, 2014 02:03

let me explain it like this-

my two heroes growing up were the rolling stones and an american fighter you may have heard of from louisville kentuckey named muhammed ali-

the first half of ali's career was what any purist will tell you was in technical terms his best-fast,sharp,brash,lean and mean.few would argue that-

after a 3 year layoff [sound familiar?]he came back different,older, wiser but less agile and using experience and technique in place of sheer skill.

just like the stones tours in the second half of their career the fights/tours had names-the thrilla in manila,the rumble in the jungle etc..

when the champ finally hung it up,amazingly it wasn't the leaner, meaner more skilled young man that most remembered-it was the older wiser champ on the big stage,it was the later years with the names-its not unusual to hear "ah,the thrilla in manila,greatest of all time"even though the champ was far below his skill level from the early years.

when you see the rolling stones onstage you are seeing greatness in motion.dont worry about if keith misses wildly with that left hook,or his head seems a little fuzzy,the champs win on points-everytime.

Date: June 6, 2014 02:19

It would be more apt a comparison if Ali had come back with not only replacement arms and legs, but extra ones as well. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 02:23 by His Majesty.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 6, 2014 02:23

Great photos and awesome review Pauly!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home